Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts about practice 3/30

Started by Ross U (HDHF), March 30, 2006, 07:00:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross U (HDHF)

March 30, 2006, 07:00:52 pm Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:27:10 pm by HopelesslyDevotedHogFan
Just wanted to get a thread started to get thoughts about today's practice going.  A few things I noticed:
1. There was a fight today between two players while the offense and defense were squaring off.  Coaches didn't step in and just let it play out. I, for one, like this.
2. It seemed that when the offense and defense were playing full contact that NUTT boy was callin the plays.  Off tackle, swing pass and even a smoke draw for the real Nutt fans :S Not quite sure what to make of this.
3. Receivers dropped a fair amount of passes today.  Wonder how much their legs are getting to them.
4. Defense looked pretty sharp today. I liked our corners playing very physical. 
5. I watched the first half of practice from the weight room upstairs and it is VERY NICE! If you haven't seen it, you need to try and stop by.
6. Mitch was at practice very briefly...don't really know why he showed up, but it was nice to see him around. Also I think I saw Cleveland and Norman.

That's all I got at the moment.  What are your thoughts, Hogville?

ballhog™

Can someone explain to me the difference between a draw and a smoke draw?
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

arkhogdog61

thats where you call the draw then you get SMOKED!
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

ballhog™

Or do some just say it because they think it sounds cool?
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: ballhog on March 30, 2006, 07:24:24 pm
Or do some just say it because they think it sounds cool?

I think it sounds cool.... :puke:

The Pulse

also known as the you've been smokin' crack draw.

ballhog™

scruf

Smoke Draw? Yeah, SMOKE is an acronym. Stands for:

S - Stop
M - Momentum
O - Our
K - Kicker
E - Enters

ballhog™

Patch

March 30, 2006, 08:06:33 pm #9 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:11:02 pm by Patch
I'm most interested in hearing why Nutt was calling the plays in practice. I thought it would at least take him until the Red/White game before his head exploded and took over again.

...AND which 2 players squared off. Hopefully it wasn't Keith Jackson Jr. and Reggie Fish

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Patch on March 30, 2006, 08:06:33 pm
I'm most interested in hearing why Nutt was calling the plays in practice. I thought it would at least take him until the Red/White game before his head exploded and took over again.

...AND which 2 players squared off. Hopefully it wasn't Keith Jackson Jr. and Reggie Fish

haha....no it wasn't Fish and Keith...I can't remember who it was but I would remember those two...Hopefully someone else that saw it will get online and help me out.

idochog

HDN gonna fark this up.  He cant stand it. 
I love Jesus!

Ross U (HDHF)

I kept waiting for some spread plays or something for Malzahn to point to Nutt and say "See, this is why you were forced to hire me. It works!"

But no dice. I'm interested to see what happens tomorrow and Saturday.

Hawgin84

Quote from: scruf on March 30, 2006, 07:54:30 pm

S - Stop
M - Momentum
O - Our
K - Kicker
E - Enters

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

idochog

Paging Mike Irwin, We need a report on why this was happening
I love Jesus!

RealSmartGuy

were we in the gun or in the I formation?  what kind of formations were we in and did we move the ball at all?

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on March 30, 2006, 08:24:22 pm
were we in the gun or in the I formation?  what kind of formations were we in and did we move the ball at all?

I noticed a lot of offset I

hawgfan80

It was the third day of practice and the first in full pads. The first game is 5 months away. Don't read too much into what you see right now. Wait at least two weeks, if not 4 and a half months.

ballhog™

Gus ran some offset I out of the shotgun at Springdale.  Although, I doubt that's we he called it.

Ross U (HDHF)

I was just a little concerned that every pass was a swing pass and every other play was off-tackle or that darn smoke draw...hopefully mike will get on here and tell us if he knows anything we don't but like I said, I don't know what to think of it....yet...and I'm going to stay hopeful until september 2nd (or 3rd...stupid ESPN).

RealSmartGuy

perhaps we were just working on parts of our offense, the swing to hillis, I suspect the off tackle was the power play, I trust Gus, how was MM's pass protection?  Did we block those good D-Ends

The Pulse

Alex wood was known to have alot of "high percentage pass plays" that he was also gonna imput into the playbook..Maybe it could have been a little of that?

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on March 30, 2006, 08:37:57 pm
perhaps we were just working on parts of our offense, the swing to hillis, I suspect the off tackle was the power play, I trust Gus, how was MM's pass protection?  Did we block those good D-Ends

Well I wouldn't say it was great...actually it was pretty bad, but again it's still early. Defense got a couple of sacks.  I spent the last 10 or so minutes of practice hoping that it was just Gus working on some plays.  It IS the 3rd day after all.  How many of the newer sets are well enough installed for that kind of situation? I hope this is the case. :)

idochog

Mike you might as well find you a anonymous (sp?) source on the team to find out the details on HDN calling plays.  I want him exposed if true.
I love Jesus!

secthumper

S - Stop
M - Momentum
O - Our
K - Kicker
E - Enters

+1
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

thehammer007

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on March 30, 2006, 07:00:52 pm
Just wanted to get a thread started to get thoughts about today's practice going.  A few things I noticed:
1. There was a fight today between two players while the offense and defense were squaring off.  Coaches didn't step in and just let it play out. I, for one, like this.
2. It seemed that when the offense and defense were playing full contact that NUTT boy was callin the plays.  Off tackle, swing pass and even a smoke draw for the real Nutt fans :S Not quite sure what to make of this.
3. Receivers dropped a fair amount of passes today.  Wonder how much their legs are getting to them.
4. Defense looked pretty sharp today. I liked our corners playing very physical. 
5. I watched the first half of practice from the weight room upstairs and it is VERY NICE! If you haven't seen it, you need to try and stop by.
6. Mitch was at practice very briefly...don't really know why he showed up, but it was nice to see him around. Also I think I saw Cleveland and Norman.

same thing I've heard.  Our receivers tired and start dropping passes.  Why?  Why are they getting tired?    What part of vertical passing game and no huddle didn't they understand when Gus was hired?  

Other than hitting the books and lifting weights what have these guys been doing?   There's no excuse for our receivers to get tired and worn out.   They are part of the Nutt regime.  No discipline, selfish and lazy and no respect for the coaches.  

Damien Williams has required the services of his own personal trainer.  At least he seems serious about being the best he can be.  

DOGALUM

Quote from: thehammer007 on March 30, 2006, 08:50:04 pm

same thing I've heard.  Our receivers tired and start dropping passes.  Why?  Why are they getting tired?    What part of vertical passing game and no huddle didn't they understand when Gus was hired?  

Other than hitting the books and lifting weights what have these guys been doing?   There's no excuse for our receivers to get tired and worn out.   They are part of the Nutt regime.  No discipline, selfish and lazy and no respect for the coaches.  

Damien Williams has required the services of his own personal trainer.  At least he seems serious about being the best he can be.  
And that will be pretty damn good.   

Speaking of freshmen starters next year......there's one.   It may take Damian a bit of time to get used to playing against d-1 caliber corners, but not too long...........man....I can't wait till he gets loose in the open field for the first time..........
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 30, 2006, 08:52:54 pm

And that will be pretty damn good.  

Speaking of freshmen starters next year......there's one.   It may take Damian a bit of time to get used to playing against d-1 caliber corners, but not too long...........man....I can't wait till he gets loose in the open field for the first time..........

TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!!!!!! lol

Dude he will be something to watch......

Sorry Florida...

The Pulse

That's Damians whole Personality! He wont let anyone outwork him. That's why he is as great as he is.

thehammer007

Quote from: pulsation of being on March 30, 2006, 09:03:34 pm

That's Damians whole Personality! He wont let anyone outwork him. That's why he is as great as he is.

Therein lies the problem.   We shouldn't be having freshman player outworking upperclassmen.   Do guys like Monk, Washington and Logan not understand that we play USC in the opening game this fall?   What about that don't they get?  

Do they not understand that you have to run even with the conditioning coach not looking over your shoulder to remain in shape?    Do they not understand that part of being a wide receiver is running vertical routes?  

Do they not understand that part of Gus' offensive philosophy is the no huddle?  

It's a disgrace and an outrage.   There's no excuse of these guys to be bitching about having tired legs or being out of wind.  Gus is probably wondering what he got himself into with the slip shod discipline of his boss.  

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 30, 2006, 09:08:00 pm
Quote from: ballhog on March 30, 2006, 07:06:27 pm
Can someone explain to me the difference between a draw and a smoke draw?

My understanding is that the draw is just a normal delay and then the handoff. (i.e. in the shotgun wait a sec, then the handoff in the belly)

My understanding on the smoke draw is that say were in the shotgun again.  The quarterback might take a few steps to the right along with back who will take a step to the right and then back to the left (similar to a counter type step).   I believe the idea is to get the defense flowing right and then receive the handoff as the back shoots back up the middle.  I believe this was the type play that Poole got hurt on at Auburn. 

Some of you football guys help me out.  I could give you almost every technical aspect to basketball, but not in football.

That's better than any of us have come up with. +1

lyon98

What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hawgfan80 on March 30, 2006, 08:31:28 pm
It was the third day of practice and the first in full pads. The first game is 5 months away. Don't read too much into what you see right now. Wait at least two weeks, if not 4 and a half months.
That's what I was going to say.  They are probably easing into the playbook and getting their "base" plays in first thing.  I'm not going to panic unless we go the whole spring without seeing Malzahn's influence. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HoopS

March 30, 2006, 09:40:37 pm #33 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:47:22 pm by hoophogs
Ok, I'm just wondering, is this thread serious or sarcastic?  Bc if it is serious then you have got to be kidding!  Did any of you play college ball?  If so, I'm sure you will remember the first week of practice being no less than "hell week". 

They are setting a tone and it sounds the tone is "we will be in the best condition when SC comes to town".  Run their d ___ in the dirt and when you leave for your summer vacation, don't forget what your legs felt like during "hell week" and you better bring it in 2 a days or you will be riding the pine while Damian, Crawford and the others take your snaps.

They ran more long routes on the first practice than usual.  And Hell yes their legs are wobbly.  No worries guys, this is normal.  I read where someone said HDN micromanages everything, looks like some of you are guilty of nitpicking and overanalyzing this. 

Give them time to adjust before labeling them, please.  It aint easy doing what they are doing.  I assure you they are trying like crazy to impress Gus and Alex and that is likely a factor too.

If we look horrible with 2 weeks of summer practice remaining, then do your thing if you need to.

As far as Dale goes, well, let Gus do his thing Brotha!  And go make them special teams "special".

derek_m24

They practiced inside today.  Would that keep them from running deep routes? 

Patch

Quote from: derek_m24 on March 30, 2006, 10:01:21 pm
They practiced inside today.  Would that keep them from running deep routes? 

I'm pretty sure it's a full length field, or pretty close to it, so it shouldn't hinder their routes. Maybe someone can verify this.

BentonvilleJeff

Just saw on the news clips that Malzahn was working inside the complex with the QB's, RB's, and WR's on the quick throws. It showed McFadden lining up at Wideout and taking like two or three steps forward then cutting inside and the ball is there from the QB and he takes off upfield. That is a play that several schools (Auburn comes to mind) run that is usually a big yard play that we have needed to install for quite a while in my opinion.

idochog

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on March 30, 2006, 10:35:29 pm
Just saw on the news clips that Malzahn was working inside the complex with the QB's, RB's, and WR's on the quick throws. It showed McFadden lining up at Wideout and taking like two or three steps forward then cutting inside and the ball is there from the QB and he takes off upfield. That is a play that several schools (Auburn comes to mind) run that is usually a big yard play that we have needed to install for quite a while in my opinion.

The old Michael Irvin slant pattern.  Its also great to keep the outside linebackers from creeping in b/c that is their responsibility to help.
I love Jesus!

BentonvilleJeff

Quote from: idochog on March 30, 2006, 10:38:54 pm
Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on March 30, 2006, 10:35:29 pm

The old Michael Irvin slant pattern.  Its also great to keep the outside linebackers from creeping in b/c that is their responsibility to help.
Bingo. I think that's how he got the nickname Playmaker that so many people copy these days. The original Playmaker. And yes it will keep those outside backers honest.

J.A.Y.

I dont know about yall but I am freakin' pumped about some FOOTBALL!
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

mikeirwin

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on March 30, 2006, 08:36:39 pm
I was just a little concerned that every pass was a swing pass and every other play was off-tackle or that darn smoke draw...hopefully mike will get on here and tell us if he knows anything we don't but like I said, I don't know what to think of it....yet...and I'm going to stay hopeful until september 2nd (or 3rd...stupid ESPN).
You saw a lot of running plays and short passes so Nutt must have been calling the plays ?
They did a lot of things today. Yes they ran the ball. Hint: Gus calls running plays too. They also threw it a lot and were more successful on the deep routes than the short ones.
At one point John West blew a coverage and Cedric Logan burned his britches. Louis Campbell went bonkers chasing West down the field.
Some of the stuff in this thread is puzzling. They're inside and does it keep them from running deep routes ? No, it doesn't. Logan caught a couple of long balls from Casey Dick.
As for the receivers being out of shape good grief, it's the third day of the spring. Yes, receivers are getting sore. In case some of you don't understand this until this week conditioning drills were all they were allowed to do. That's not the same as lining up and running pass routes for two hours. We've got people banging on Monk in this thread who don't even know what's going on. Monk pulled a groin early in the workout. They wrapped it up and he came back and ran every route even though you could tell he was in a lot of pain.
I sure didn't see the practice that some of you saw. 

idochog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 30, 2006, 11:05:48 pm
You saw a lot of running plays and short passes so Nutt must have been calling the plays ?
They did a lot of things today. Yes they ran the ball. Hint: Gus calls running plays too. They also threw it a lot and were more successful on the deep routes than the short ones.
At one point John West blew a coverage and Cedric Logan burned his britches. Louis Campbell went bonkers chasing West down the field.
Some of the stuff in this thread is puzzling. They're inside and does it keep them from running deep routes ? No, it doesn't. Logan caught a couple of long balls from Casey Dick.
As for the receivers being out of shape good grief, it's the third day of the spring. Yes, receivers are getting sore. In case some of you don't understand this until this week conditioning drills were all they were allowed to do. That's not the same as lining up and running pass routes for two hours. We've got people banging on Monk in this thread who don't even know what's going on. Monk pulled a groin early in the workout. They wrapped it up and he came back and ran every route even though you could tell he was in a lot of pain.

I dont care about anything other than reassurance that Gus is in control.  I do appreciate the info.
I love Jesus!

Fire Numb Nutts!!!

Was Numb Nutts wearing that big stupid floppy sombrero again? That's the moron's signature hat.

I understand that there's a new clause in Numb Nutts' contract this year: if he interferes with Malzahn too much, he'll be forced to wear a clown suit on the sidelines (even during games). It's sort of a "tough love" approach, like Herring's pink jerseys.
Yeah, I told Ferret Mop, et al in 2005 that hiring Mal-a-za-wan was just smoke and mirrors from Dale to get Mustain and the others from Springdale to commit...and keep the stadium and the RF coffers full...but did they believe me? Hell no, I got banned. I told ya so.

If you contribute money to this fluster cluck, you are a sucker.

Ugly Uncle

I went to practice on Tuesday.  Monk caught everything around him.  Cannot believe how great his hands are.  But he just looked slow.  I even told my buddy that he just doesn't have much speed. 

Then I noticed something...he was out running most of the other receivers down the field when they were both going long...

I know he isn't exactly a speed receiver...but is he like M. Jones?...because he just kind of glides and still gets seperation.  I also wonder if he has gotten that step back that some people say he lost last year.  Again, he doesn't look fast, but he just covers the ground and gets open.  Well, that is what I thought on Tuesday anyway.
Retired Radio Host

bhuie

S - Stop
M - Momentum
O - Our
K - Kicker
E - Enters

Absolute classic!  +1

Ross U (HDHF)

March 30, 2006, 11:45:09 pm #45 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:50:08 pm by HopelesslyDevotedHogFan
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 30, 2006, 11:05:48 pm

on second thought...open mouth, insert foot...thanks for the info and sorry I overreacted to the plays I saw...my primary goal was to get a discussion about practice going for those who didn't/couldn't attend...thanks for the info

mikeirwin

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on March 30, 2006, 11:45:09 pm
on second thought...open mouth, insert foot...thanks for the info and sorry I overreacted to the plays I saw...my primary goal was to get a discussion about practice going for those who didn't/couldn't attend...thanks for the info
It wasn't what you wrote that was the problem. It was the way others in the thread took it and went off in 10 different directions. Certainly posting impressions of watching practice is a normal thing to do. I understood that you had seen some things, had formed some opinions and wanted some reaction.
The reaction was odd. Suddenly we had Nutt screwing up practice, the receivers were tip toeing though the tulips with sore legs because they were wimps and Gus couldn't dial up the deep ball because they had gone inside to practice.

qakhed

I hear Mcfadden is a pretty good weapon at receiver too. That just gives the defense one more thing to worry about
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

PigPusher

On the one hand we have micro-managing and the other micro-viewing. Still its all just a lot of fun as we are watching the same evolution of a soon to be great football team (fingers crossed).
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

arthurhawgerelli

Also, just remember that the defense (not just here, but everywhere) will always dominate Spring Ball.  Throw into the equation that the players are learning a new system, and you are not going to see Gus' Run-and-Gun offense clicking on all cylinders.  In fact, don't expect the offense to start gelling until midway through next season.  The offense is not very complex, but it will take time.  Try and compare it to you buying a new 52 inch HDTV.  You were tired of the old tv and remote, but you won't totally enjoy the new tv until you've practiced using the new remote and how to use all the bells and whistles.