Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The value of Hogville

Started by mikeirwin, March 30, 2006, 11:11:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

For many years I have believed the U of A Department of Athletics is somewhat out of touch with it's core fan base. Frank always has a pretty good idea of what the big boosters are thinking. The average guy in the cheap seats ? Forget it.
In some respects it's not his fault because it's hard to get a picture at any given time of what that core fan base is really thinking.
That's where Hogville comes in. To most of you it is a place where you can have some fun, post your thoughts, express some frustrations, and pick up information. I see Hogville as a way for Frank, big Jim and others to see what's out there. In talking with HSV about this I explained many months ago that this board could provide that picture of the core fan base at any given time IF the members here accurately represent a cross section of the fan base.
Quite frankly most message boards would fail in that respect and Hogville is not there yet.
I can hear some of you now, WHAT ARE YOUR TALKING ABOUT IRWIN ?
Most message boards contain a high concentration of fans with radical views. More mainsteam fans are often chased away from message boards by the uncontrolled venting of those hard core fans.
You know what I mean. Name calling, threats, nasty PMs.
That's why we have attempted to control some of that. We're not trying to chase off the darksiders. We're tying to figure out a way to keep the darksiders from running mainstream fans off.
At the same time we don't want the darksiders to leave because the sunshine pumpers have taken over and are driving them crazy.
Somehow we have to get all elements of the fan base to exist here together because when we do Hogville will provide that link to the athletic department that I've mentioned.
I think we're on the right track. This board has tripled in size in about a year and a half. As I said in another post they pay attention to us now. It would be foolish for them to ignore almost 9,000 of their own fans.
What will they think when there are 20,000 members here ?
I think we're about to find out.

RealSmartGuy

I don't think the sunshine pumpers have taken the darksiders out, the darkside is strong!!!

FIRE STAN

HoopS

I can't say thank you enough to all who make this board possible.

I have never even liked message boards before and now I find myself checking in daily and some days, minute by minute.   

Thanks to all of you!

Not that you need it, but +1 to you Mike.

HamShank

Being a thousand miles away, coming to this site everyday is a much-needed and liberating dose of HOG.  I, for one, am very glad you're here.  Thanks, Mike.

Apathy

This is the only message board I read for those very reasons.

HOGLUVIN

March 30, 2006, 11:33:37 am #5 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:35:12 am by HOGLUVIN
This is the only board that I belong to. I have posted 1 time on a Colts board, otherwise, this is the only one that I post on.

I am one of those guys that is a little be dark and a little bit sun... Depends are what action word you use to provoke me.

Mitch, Damian, Reggie, Gus, Dmac, Sam O, Felix - sun
4-7 x 2, off tackle, draw play - dark

etc.

From what I can tell most people are not all one or all the other... man they just want a proud program back.

We are lucky on this board to have the mods we have. Where else at any time of the day can you just post a question and have Mike Irwin answer it for you? Or as in the case day before yesterday; have Mike call Bo Mattingly to verify something, then post and let you know what the truth is. Seriously, who has that access to a program? We are spoiled....

but hey we deserve it...

Thanks again guys,
Hogluvin

HOGLIGULA

Everyone knows that this is a great message board.  The topics and polls allow anyone to express their own opinion whether it is liked or hated.  The value of Hogville is unknown, just think if we did not have Hogville.
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

HogFanLR

I do not think you will ever see a lot of positive comments on Message boards.  There will be some, but the Darksider vs hugger will always be there just change the name (even with a new coach). 

Mike you say the UA is starting to pay attention.  That is good, but I doubt they will act on a lot of what is said here.  If I was in charge of things, There is no way I could act on what is printed here-it is all over the map.  Besides leaders with a vision tend not to poll before they act. 

But I do agree that it is a good pulse of the hard core fans.  And this site generally is an excellent source of news and rumors.  You along with some of the other posters here bring a great deal of credibility to what is written.  I have always appreciated you sign your name to every post. 

Great site and only getting better.  Where else can you go and find 9000 people than can coach better than HDN every day.  :)

HOGLUVIN

Mike,

Today somthing that I have notice is that most of the new people seem to be what would classified as "huggers".

Good news for the program. Supporters stepping up to make comments. While aggrevating, it is refreshing...

;)

tbhogfan

Is there a name for those people whose views are somewhere in between the Dark Siders and the Sunshine Pumpers

If not, I would like to propose one:  The Majority.
Go Hogs!

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: tbhogfan on March 30, 2006, 01:05:05 pm
Is there a name for those people whose views are somewhere in between the Dark Siders and the Sunshine Pumpers

I think you are dead on. +1

Hoggy Hogalot

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 30, 2006, 11:33:37 am
This is the only board that I belong to. I have posted 1 time on a Colts board, otherwise, this is the only one that I post on.

I am one of those guys that is a little be dark and a little bit sun... Depends are what action word you use to provoke me.

Mitch, Damian, Reggie, Gus, Dmac, Sam O, Felix - sun
4-7 x 2, off tackle, draw play - dark

etc.

From what I can tell most people are not all one or all the other... man they just want a proud program back.

We are lucky on this board to have the mods we have. Where else at any time of the day can you just post a question and have Mike Irwin answer it for you? Or as in the case day before yesterday; have Mike call Bo Mattingly to verify something, then post and let you know what the truth is. Seriously, who has that access to a program? We are spoiled....

but hey we deserve it...

Thanks again guys,
Hogluvin

I couldn't agree more. I read Hogville everyday i can.

holman24

I'm with you Mike I think this board is the best we have but is also full of radicals that wouldn't  be happy if you hung them with a new rope.  That being said I read the board all day long during the week and get a lot of info from here.  I also watch you on channel 5 and I like it when you are saying something about the board indirectly.  I hope you can keep the pressure on the hill to produce for the fans and I hope that they look at this board subjectively and change for the better.

HogFanLR

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 30, 2006, 01:06:11 pm

It's not the majority and its called a fencesitter.

Depends on the sample.  May not be the majority here.  But Statewide it is by far.  And nothing wrong with a wait and see attitude right now. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

I've been reading the tigerboard since they hired MA.  Makes me very thankful for Hogville.  Not only is the look and feel 100 times better but so are the fans.  One thing I can say for that board is if there's a dead horse over there they will beat the hell out of it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HOGLUVIN

also, we have 9000 members, but a lot more view it than that.... like as we speak 172 members and 229 guests are reading MMQB. Just that one.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 30, 2006, 01:29:53 pm
Quote from: HogFanLR on March 30, 2006, 01:25:34 pm

Depends on the sample.  May not be the majority here.  But Statewide it is by far.  And nothing wrong with a wait and see attitude right now. 

Of course not.  Truth be told, I'm probably in the same boat.  I'm pretty aggravated with Nutt right now but I wouldn't put it past myself for my mind to be changed.  Who knows? 

I hope that at the end of this season and from now on, we have no choice but to be a shiner. If that is the case, Heath better start winning ;). All of this animosity is going somewhere. I guess we could all get handles on a TX board to let it out.

pseudorabies

Quote from: HogFanLR on March 30, 2006, 11:36:50 am
I do not think you will ever see a lot of positive comments on Message boards.  There will be some, but the Darksid er vs hugger will always be there just change the name (even with a new coach). 

Mike you say the UA is starting to pay attention.  That is good, but I doubt they will act on a lot of what is said here.  If I was in charge of things, There is no way I could act on what is printed here-it is all over the map.  Besides leaders with a vision tend not to poll before they act

Winning cures all.  Had the last 2 seasons not have been losing seasons, I don't think you would see half of the negative posts that have been on here the last year.  Its painfully obvious that a change needs to happen at the top.  I agree with about leaders with vision not polling before they act, but as it stands we have a leader that does not act and makes up his own polls.

Ish O

March 30, 2006, 01:39:27 pm #18 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:42:14 pm by Ish O
Plain and simple this board is nowhere close to the view of most Hog fans. The majority of fans don't have the pure hatred that is shown to Nutt, Broyles, Markuson, etc.. It's almost embarrassing to read some of the views here. In fact, there is a whole thread about how bad Markuson sucks, needs to be fired, is a complet idiot, etc..Maybe he is some of those things but since I go to all home games and the occasional away game I could see for myself as a non-coach the youth on the O-line and the injuries (Tubbs-huge loss) suffered the last two years. Look at Dallas last season. When Flozell Adams went down the line fell apart, Bledsoe started getting sacked more, and they were eliminated from the playoffs. Did Dallas fire the O-line coach? No.

Ben Steiger

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Ish O on March 30, 2006, 01:39:27 pm
Plain and simple this board is nowhere close to the view of most Hog fans. The majority of fans don't have the pure hatred that is shown to Nutt, Broyles, Markuson, etc.. It's almost embarrassing to read some of the views here. In fact, there is a whole thread about how bad Markuson sucks, needs to be fired, is a complet idiot, etc..Maybe he is some of those things but since I go to all home games and the occasional away game I could see for myself as a non-coach the youth on the O-line and the injuries (Tubbs-huge loss) suffered the last two years. Look at Dallas last season. When Flozell Adams went down the line fell apart, Bledsoe started getting sacked more, and they were eliminated from the playoffs. Did Dallas fire the O-line coach? No.

that thread is comprised of apprx 3-5 people that are debating the topic. There are 2 Sunshiners and 2 darksiders and 1 fencesitter.

there are thousands of people reading right now, posting that have zero to do with that thread.

any 1 person can start and title a thread by whatever name. doesn't mean that that thread has the consent or blessing by all members of this board.

King-Tusk

This is also the only message board that I actively post on.  I read the posts for several months before actually posting and agree that this board is better than a lot, but still has some progress to go.  

I think that most fans on here are truly the Majority(I like that better than fencesitter).  You don't have to like everything about every aspect of each sport, be it the coaches, players, or performance.  Right now, the general feeling that someone who has never read anything on Hogville would have is that we all hate our head coach because he has cranial rectumitis or some other mental disorder that is terminal for our program.  And the season is still months away.  We went from doomsday when Mitch reopened his recruitment to sheer joy when he signed with us.  We were all ready for a run at the National Championship and honestly didn't care about the Head Coach until the newness of Mitch signing wore off.  

I agree that Coach Nutt has said some things that make me question his motives or sanity as a D1 coach, but I am going to wait and see how the 2006 season goes(not spring drills) before I call for his job.  

And let's not forget that Coach Heath went from the hotseat to being safe for another year in the span of two weeks.  I know, I know, the comparison isn't fair because Nutt has been here twice as long.  The point is, as long as the Razorbacks win games the fans find it much easier to look past the shortcomings of the men who lead these programs.  Right now neither of our major programs are winning or losing.  Our football team is working to learn a new system that will hopefully enable us to put points on the board and maybe make some other D1 coach say something like "man, Arkansas, they just score so fast it hurts you" or something else along those lines.

I for one would love to be able to watch the Razorbacks go out on the field and throw the ball regularly(with completions by our receivers) like most other big programs.  I honestly think that after the last few seasons of cringing the few times that we didn't run the ball, I may mess myself the first time I see the Hogs successfully execute a passing game.  

I am ready to celebrate with the rest of Hognation when our boys find their place in the SEC and in the Top 5 so I don't have to hear about the only NC Arkansas Football has won, which I think we are the only one's who recognize it anyway.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Tusks

I don't think you had the Cowboys OL coach saying "I don't know if we can hold our blocks or put together the blocking scheme for a QB like Bledsoe or the type offense we run"

Parcells would've FIRED that coach on the spot.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

FLKeysGuy

I think that's a very fair assessment of reality!  Just like in politics... the most vocal people are usually either the far left or the far right, and the silent majority is somewhere in between.  In fact, you can take the political example a step further too...  whether you're on the far left or the far right, in the end, we're all Americans. 

Whether you're at one end or the other or somewhere in between...

Total Hugger +------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+ Total Darksider
                                                                                          ^
                                                                                       (I am here
                                                                                     because I think
                                                                                     Nutt is a liability)

...we're ALL Hog fans.  Why else would you be reading this post?

WPS  :razorback:

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 30, 2006, 02:23:24 pm

I think that's a very fair assessment of reality!  Just like in politics... the most vocal people are usually either the far left or the far right, and the silent majority is somewhere in between.  In fact, you can take the political example a step further too...  whether you're on the far left or the far right, in the end, we're all Americans. 

Whether you're at one end or the other or somewhere in between...

Total Hugger +------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+ Total Darksider
                                                                                          ^
                                                                                       (I am here
                                                                                     because I think
                                                                                     Nutt is a liability)

...we're ALL Hog fans.  Why else would you be reading this post?

WPS  :razorback:

^                            ^               ^
                                         Currently              noon           9am

qakhed

I think that right now we are on the right track. Nutt's idea or not, we are. I want to win. I guess, more then anything, I want the OPPORTUNITY to win. We haven't had that in a while.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: qakhed on March 30, 2006, 03:25:50 pm
I want the OPPORTUNITY to win.

That's something I think we all can agree on.

mikeirwin

Plain and simple this board is nowhere close to the view of most Hog fans. The majority of fans don't have the pure hatred that is shown to Nutt, Broyles, Markuson, etc.. It's almost embarrassing to read some of the views here.
If you will go back and read the original post in this thread I think I pointed out that Hogville is not yet to the point where it represents an accurate cross section of the fan base. But it's closer than most Hog message boards I've read. If you don't think so go visit some of them.

qakhed

Mike, just to let you know I had coke coming out my nose the other morning when you did the math professor imitation. That was great, you have to bring him to the show more often. You have now officially replaced Bob and Tom for me. Thanks!
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

HogDodging

Does Frank actually read Hogville?  Or does he have his secretary cherry-pick the hugger threads for him?  Does he even have a computer at his desk?
I think it's wrong on several levels that a donor like Lindsey has so much input and control over the Athletic Department.

jkstock04

March 30, 2006, 03:41:21 pm #30 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 03:43:10 pm by jkstock04
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 30, 2006, 03:30:15 pm
Plain and simple this board is nowhere close to the view of most Hog fans. The majority of fans don't have the pure hatred that is shown to Nutt, Broyles, Markuson, etc.. It's almost embarrassing to read some of the views here.
If you will go back and read the original post in this thread I think I pointed out that Hogville is not yet to the point where it represents an accurate cross section of the fan base. But it's closer than most Hog message boards I've read. If you don't think so go visit some of them.
Then what is an accurate section of the fan base toward HDN and his Murray State Mafia???  50/50??  60/40??  I don't know everybody that goes to the Hog football games by any means...but I know probably around 20 ticket holders...all but a couple think pretty much the same thing I do...and the couple that don't think the way I do about the past couple of years just don't care about it enough whether we were winning or losing.  But, maybe the people I know are the oddballs and like Ish O was trying to say....the majority of fans dont dislike the Nuttster and how things have gone the past couple of years....maybe their all giddy about the way things have been going.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ish O

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 30, 2006, 03:41:21 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 30, 2006, 03:30:15 pm
Then what is an accurate section of the fan base toward HDN and his Murray State Mafia???  50/50??  60/40??  I don't know everybody that goes to the Hog football games by any means...but I know probably around 20 ticket holders...all but a couple think pretty much the same thing I do...and the couple that don't think the way I do about the past couple of years just don't care about it enough whether we were winning or losing.  But, maybe the people I know are the oddballs and like Ish O was trying to say....the majority of fans dont dislike the Nuttster and how things have gone the past couple of years....maybe their all giddy about the way things have been going.

I remember you saying that in your first post Mike. It's just not anywhere as close as what you think it is as far as being main stream opinions of Hog fans. You are right though, other boards are as extreme as wanting Broyles dead. I don't recall people on this site saying that.

hogwild32

A couple of weeks back i was reading a thread.  It made me really mad.  So i posted something that was uncalled for and totally unjustified.  Coming in here more has made me realize that this board isn't not what i thought it was.  Its a lot better.  So keep up the good work.  Hogville has made me convert from from a Hawg Loungian to a Hogvillian (not a villian).  Thanks guys for keeping it classy and at the same time, not deleting every thread that contains a bad word.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HogFanLR on March 30, 2006, 01:25:34 pm

I haven't lived in the state in over 1 1/2 years,  and even then the majority of the Hog fans I kept in regular contact with hoped he would take the Nebraska job when it was offered and prayed that LSU would make the mistake of hiring him.  ( That was a pipe dream of course, but would have killed two birds with one stone, insured more wins for us overall, and taken away the dominance of LSU over us in one fell swoop.)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

94 Hawg

the 80/20 rule applies here as it does most everything.

I help admin a online gaming server/message board. We decided long ago to eliminate all the name calling, inuendo and cursing (even masking of curse words) by banning repeat offenders both on our game server & message board. The result is a group of adults, young and old,  that can enjoy a common interest and develop relationships (much like many here have) without having to sort through a bunch of garbage that is readily available everywhere else. Newcomers either stay for years or not at all. Some folks just can't seem to communicate without using foul language or bashing others. Some of it is allowed here and that is hSv's decision, but IMO it degrades the overall value of the board. After hanging out here a while you learn who's posts to look for or avoid. I like Hogville, and agree it is the best of the razorback boards. Thanks for providing it for us.

my .02 & Go Hogs :razorback: :)
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

hawgonit

I think this board has served a purpose....more so than many of you will ever know:)

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hawgonit on March 30, 2006, 07:03:30 pm
I think this board has served a purpose....more so than many of you will ever know:)

Did so and so ever get that crate of whiskey that we sent him?

hogsta

Windy intercepted it, I think.

silvertip

Quote from: 94 Hawg on March 30, 2006, 06:19:51 pm

I help admin a online gaming server/message board. We decided long ago to eliminate all the name calling, inuendo and cursing (even masking of curse words) by banning repeat offenders both on our game server & message board. The result is a group of adults, young and old,  that can enjoy a common interest and develop relationships (much like many here have) without having to sort through a bunch of garbage that is readily available everywhere else. Newcomers either stay for years or not at all. Some folks just can't seem to communicate without using foul language or bashing others. Some of it is allowed here and that is hSv's decision, but IMO it degrades the overall value of the board. After hanging out here a while you learn who's posts to look for or avoid. I like Hogville, and agree it is the best of the razorback boards. Thanks for providing it for us.

Good points, 94 Hawg. And I think if the good Admins, owners, etc such as Mike Irwin & hSv would like this board to represent a good cross section of fans---then a good place to start would be to clean up some of the attitudes & hostilities of the "Moderators." Whatever a Moderator is.

I arrived at this board after being banned elsewhere for opposing HDN. Almost immediately, I was rudely & arrogantly attacked by one of your Moderators because I produced some stats that opposed his "pronouncement." Best I recall, he proceeded to call me an "idiot," "moron," or perhaps one of his favorite names for those who dare disagree, "ass-clown."

Just in the last few days, another of your "Moderators" answered an opinion of mine with "Go to hell." In the middle of a lengthy personal attack. Real classy, huh?

Right now, there is a thread out there, started by one of your Mods, which says in the subject line that people who disagree with him are "flunkies."

Well, I don't feel all that special, since I see this "Moderator" address people that way or a regular basis. There are several "Moderators" on this board who address people in that arrogant & rude manner. Any person in authority such as Mike or hSv who wishes to PM me, I will tell you who 3 or 4 of these guys are. Although really, I think you already know.

Yeah, I address people who approach me in that way with a rude & arrogant manner equal to what they dump on me. Because I really don't care what they think.

However, many if not most people are more sensitive, proud, mature---whatever---to care to engage in any discussion with the rude tone some of your Moderators bring. And I think these few rude Mods set the "tone" for the board in general. And give the "radical" posters "permission" to behave the same way.

So, although there are several like myself who will express contrary views regardless of the bashing received by the "radicals"---I think most Hog fans who just "lurk" here for info, do not care to post & put up with the verbal abuse. And thus, I think this board, while clearly the best Hawg forum, will have a hard time reflecting a true cross-section of the Hawg-nation. Perhaps that is unavoidable?
Or perhaps improvement is possible.

Just my $2.00 worth.   

tophawg19

this is the best overall board . most of the posters are all class . the newbie influance has changed it a lot since i joined and not always for the best but a lot of the new people have brought a lot to the forum . the one thing i see is there is enough class here to let the ladies join in comfortably .and we are getting quite a few and most have shown a good sports knowledge . to sum it up let me just say the guys running this board are doing a fine job and i'm proud to be a member of the 9000 member hog FAMILY.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pseudorabies

Quote from: silvertip on March 30, 2006, 07:24:13 pm

Good points, 94 Hawg. And I think if the good Admins, owners, etc such as Mike Irwin & hSv would like this board to represent a good cross section of fans---then a good place to start would be to clean up some of the attitudes & hostilities of the "Moderators." Whatever a Moderator is.

I arrived at this board after being banned elsewhere for opposing HDN. Almost immediately, I was rudely & arrogantly attacked by one of your Moderators because I produced some stats that opposed his "pronouncement." Best I recall, he proceeded to call me an "idiot," "moron," or perhaps one of his favorite names for those who dare disagree, "ass-clown."

Just in the last few days, another of your "Moderators" answered an opinion of mine with "Go to hell." In the middle of a lengthy personal attack. Real classy, huh?

Right now, there is a thread out there, started by one of your Mods, which says in the subject line that people who disagree with him are "flunkies."

Well, I don't feel all that special, since I see this "Moderator" address people that way or a regular basis. There are several "Moderators" on this board who address people in that arrogant & rude manner. Any person in authority such as Mike or hSv who wishes to PM me, I will tell you who 3 or 4 of these guys are. Although really, I think you already know.

Yeah, I address people who approach me in that way with a rude & arrogant manner equal to what they dump on me. Because I really don't care what they think.

However, many if not most people are more sensitive, proud, mature---whatever---to care to engage in any discussion with the rude tone some of your Moderators bring. And I think these few rude Mods set the "tone" for the board in general. And give the "radical" posters "permission" to behave the same way.

So, although there are several like myself who will express contrary views regardless of the bashing received by the "radicals"---I think most Hog fans who just "lurk" here for info, do not care to post & put up with the verbal abuse. And thus, I think this board, while clearly the best Hawg forum, will have a hard time reflecting a true cross-section of the Hawg-nation. Perhaps that is unavoidable?

Just my $2.00 worth.   

Just a hunch, but I bet you never get that PM. 

thehammer007

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 30, 2006, 11:11:45 am
For many years I have believed the U of A Department of Athletics is somewhat out of touch with it's core fan base. Frank always has a pretty good idea of what the big boosters are thinking. The average guy in the cheap seats ? Forget it.
In some respects it's not his fault because it's hard to get a picture at any given time of what that core fan base is really thinking.
That's where Hogville comes in. To most of you it is a place where you can have some fun, post your thoughts, express some frustrations, and pick up information. I see Hogville as a way for Frank, big Jim and others to see what's out there. In talking with HSV about this I explained many months ago that this board could provide that picture of the core fan base at any given time IF the members here accurately represent a cross section of the fan base.
Quite frankly most message boards would fail in that respect and Hogville is not there yet.
I can hear some of you now, WHAT ARE YOUR TALKING ABOUT IRWIN ?
Most message boards contain a high concentration of fans with radical views. More mainsteam fans are often chased away from message boards by the uncontrolled venting of those hard core fans.
You know what I mean. Name calling, threats, nasty PMs.
That's why we have attempted to control some of that. We're not trying to chase off the darksiders. We're tying to figure out a way to keep the darksiders from running mainstream fans off.
At the same time we don't want the darksiders to leave because the sunshine pumpers have taken over and are driving them crazy.
Somehow we have to get all elements of the fan base to exist here together because when we do Hogville will provide that link to the athletic department that I've mentioned.
I think we're on the right track. This board has tripled in size in about a year and a half. As I said in another post they pay attention to us now. It would be foolish for them to ignore almost 9,000 of their own fans.
What will they think when there are 20,000 members here ?
I think we're about to find out.

It's not his fault.  Is that what you posted Mike?   Incredible. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: thehammer007 on March 30, 2006, 09:15:04 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 30, 2006, 11:11:45 am
It's not his fault.  Is that what you posted Mike?   Incredible. 
What's incredible about the fact that it's hard for Frank to have a handle on what the core fan base is thinking at any given moment ?
I have the same problem. I read a lot of stuff here but this is not the core fan base. Not yet. Last year when this team was losing more than it won for the second straight year I knew for sure that there were a lot of ticked off folks here. But is there a way to check every ticket holder, every hog fan who watches on TV and doesn't go to the games ?  If so I like know how to find out.
I hate to break it to you but a lot of fans don't blame Frank for everything. Some of them are on this board. A lot of them are sitting out there and are never heard from.
By the way, that was the point of this thread. If we could get a true mix of the fan base on this board and poll the members here on various issues maybe we'd know what the averge fan is thinking.
That would be incredible.

hogtheball

I love this board.  I can get inside info. from time to time, rant about all the stuff my wife won't listen to, have a heated argument every now and then, laugh, and remember why I've always been a Hog fan. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

silvertip

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 30, 2006, 08:01:51 pm

Just my $2.00 worth.  

I don't expect to get that PM & don't need it. As I said, you should already know who the Mods are that rudely attack posters, since they make a habit of it.

And if you will read carefully, I said "Any person in authority, such as Mike or hSv who wishes to PM me..."
As I understand it, those who have "authority" on this board are at the "Aministrator" and above level. I wouldn't care to say anything at all about this to a mere Mod, pseudo.

pseudorabies

Quote from: silvertip on March 30, 2006, 10:57:06 pm

Just my $2.00 worth.   

I don't expect to get that PM & don't need it. As I said, you should already know who the Mods are that rudely attack posters, since they make a habit of it.

And if you will read carefully, I said "Any person in authority, such as Mike or hSv who wishes to PM me..."
As I understand it, those who have "authority" on this board are at the "Aministrator" and above level. I wouldn't care to say anything at all about this to a mere Mod, pseudo.

There is no level above an admin.  And like I said, I highly doubt one will PM you.  Especially since your on everyone ignore list.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 30, 2006, 11:03:13 pm

Just my $2.00 worth.  

There is no level above an admin.  And like I said, I highly doubt one will PM you.  Especially since your on everyone ignore list.

Pseudo do not pick on Slivertip, the guy has his moments, but as far as admins go, this board is pretty lenient.  However that does not mean that mods are always right or can not be lambasted, but it is the joy of the board that everyone gets to express their opinion, which is why the majority of us are here
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 30, 2006, 11:03:13 pm

Just my $2.00 worth.  

Obviously he isn't on yours!
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: hogtheball on March 30, 2006, 10:18:55 pm
I love this board.  I can get inside info. from time to time, rant about all the stuff my wife won't listen to, have a heated argument every now and then, laugh, and remember why I've always been a Hog fan. 

Most of the time the Arkansas Dem-Gaz sports page is old news after reading Hogville! I'm a hugh fan of Hogville
and enjoy Mike Irwin's thoughful posts. Imagine the quantum leap the Arkansas Dem-Gaz would take if they replaced
Wally with Mike Irwin!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: qakhed on March 30, 2006, 03:34:18 pm
Mike, just to let you know I had coke coming out my nose the other morning

shocking
??? ??? ??? ???

I love this board.  I appreciate the opportunity to share opinions. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07