Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'07 Recruits that may read the board

Started by The Pulse, March 30, 2006, 11:05:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pulse

If i was a 2007 football recruit, especially an offensive lineman, and i read this board--it would make me think twice about going to Arkansas if not completely. There is so much talk of Huston Nutt and Markuson on here being complete idiots and incompetant at everything they do. If you were Lee Ziemba and you read that..what would you think about Arkansas? I'm not saying that you should go around saying only nice things...you definately need to let someone have it when they really screw up. But I'm just not a fan of constantly trashing them at all times. Does this make sense though? If not, go ahead, if you must.

Porky OLeary

I suspect young Mr. Ziemba is not blind. He sees things for himself.

geoffhog

Watching some of the darksiders on here struggle so hard to try and find something to gripe/whine about has  gotten to the point of being comical. Its amazing how petty they've gotten since Gus was hired.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

LA HAWG

Every major college in America has message boards where the fans do the exact same thing.  It is not like Arkansas is the only place it happens.

BirmingHam

Yeah, I know if I was a recruit and Bubba said that one of the coaches was an idiot, then I would be looking to go somewhere else!

hoggin das

The phrase of the day is "raison d' etre."

Used in context: Griping and complaining is the raison d' etre of this board.

hogfan064

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 30, 2006, 11:54:30 am
Every major college in America has message boards where the fans do the exact same thing.  It is not like Arkansas is the only place it happens.

Well, I'd so most colleges do that.  I doubt anyone at Southern Cal, Georgia, South Carolina, Oklahoma, or Notre Dame is talking about firing their coach

dishhog10

Markuson has not been a bad O-line coach.   During his time in Arkansas the Hogs have consistently been one of the best running teams in the nation; to accomplish that the O-line had to be pretty good.   He has helped several O-line get to the NFL.   This spring, he is being asked to coach a different way.   He has taken a lot of grief for Arkansas lack of passing, but he needs to be given a chance in this new system.   Upset with Markuson?  I dont blame anyone for that, but basically he has done what Houston Nutt has asked.    There a lot of practices left before they suit up for USC and the blame game should wait until at least 11:30 pm on sept 2nd.
Lets band together and back BP

The Pulse

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 30, 2006, 12:07:32 pm

Well, I'd so most colleges do that.  I doubt anyone at Southern Cal, Georgia, South Carolina, Oklahoma, or Notre Dame is talking about firing their coach

I havn't checked into a Tennessee board lately, but i bet they have been saying some of the same stuff about Phat Phil as we are about Houston Nutt. But does it hurt a Tennessee recruiting class as much as it would an Arkansas class? They usually get recruits regardless don't they?

LA HAWG

Not right now but let any one of those teams go back to back 4-7 and I bet it would be worse.  In fact I am sure that OU fans were on Stoops pretty good last season when they lost to TCU.

swinemaster

Gus's comments about pass blocking were pretty simple.  He said we will be better at it because we are going to focus on it more.  I don't blame Markuson for devoting most of the efforts to the running game because that is focusing on our strengths and not wasting time on an area that we couldn't be efficient in due to other problems like not having a quality pocket passer or good receivers.  It might not have even been his decision.  The fact is, none of the football experts on here have a clue about Markuson's ability to coach pass blocking unless they have talked with him in person or observed his coaching first hand.  And as far as being competent at 50% of your job, I'm sure your boss wouldn't want you to devote the majority of your efforts into a strategy that your company didn't have the personnel to execute.  And lastly, recruits love him.   

Ugly Uncle

Again,  we aren't complaining just to be complaining...

Both Nutt and Markuson made the comment that "We just can't block that scheme" or something very similar to that.  That speaks more to their opinion of Gus' offense than their coaching abilities.

If HDN and Markuson had come out and said, "we are very excited, the kids are really challenged by this.  I think you are going to see them pick up their assignments in no time.  I believe in these kids and their ability."

We would have all been still excited about everything.  Instead, it appears they are taking shots at the new guy and his offensive scheme and game plan.  They IMO are laying out their own game plan...to wrestle control of the offense away from Gus.  That makes many of us very nervous...we have seen it before and expect nothing more from those two.
Retired Radio Host

Adam Stokes

I'm surprised the whole "we are doing it because we are true Arkansas fans and don't accept mediocracy" hasn't come up yet.

FLKeysGuy

For what it's worth, I really don't think recruits spend a lot of time reading the various messageboards of schools offerring schollies to them.  They're likely spending more time talking directly to the coaching staff and to their own high school coach to help evaluate things.  Mitchell didn't visit every messageboard from every school that offerred him a schollie.  He was on Hogville because he's a Hog fan that happened to be a highly regarded recruit, and I assure you that he 'contributed' more facts about the coaching staff to this board than he 'derived' from it.

LA HAWG

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 30, 2006, 12:55:32 pm
For what it's worth, I really don't think recruits spend a lot of time reading the various messageboards of schools offerring schollies to them.  They're likely spending more time talking directly to the coaching staff and to their own high school coach to help evaluate things.  Mitchell didn't visit every messageboard from every school that offerred him a schollie.  He was on Hogville because he's a Hog fan that happened to be a highly regarded recruit, and I assure you that he 'contributed' more facts about the coaching staff to this board than he 'derived' from it.

As usual, I agree FLKeysGuy.

pikehog

we really need to stop all the coddling and holding back of our thoughts for the sake of recruiting. If we can't piss and moan here then whats the point

pikehog

They also haven't had back to back losing seasons and no bowl games.

swinemaster

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 30, 2006, 12:54:29 pm
Quote from: swinemaster on March 30, 2006, 12:45:03 pm
And as far as being competent at 50% of your job, I'm sure your boss wouldn't want you to devote the majority of your efforts into a strategy that your company didn't have the personnel to execute.  And lastly, recruits love him.  

How long has Markuson been here?  8 full years and going into a ninth by my count.  That's his fault for not having the personnel if you think that's what the problem is.  You think some of these others schools have 5 bluechippers on the line?  I can tell you they have to coach 'em up a little bit.  Markuson better get busy.  He's wore out his welcome by far.  We've had the personnel to have some type of passing threat.  It's not my fault he's too incompetent to continue to spend 75% of practice on the running game. 

I'm not talking about having the personnel on the line.  I'm talking about thinking you can effectively throw the ball with QB's like Matt Jones for 4 years.  Is it his responsibility to recruit QB's and WR's.  Did he just forget how to coach pass blocking when Clint Stoerner and Anthony Lucas graduated?

pbjones81

March 30, 2006, 01:36:08 pm #18 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:44:20 pm by pbjones81
Quote from: pulsation of being on March 30, 2006, 11:05:44 am
If i was a 2007 football recruit, especially an offensive lineman, and i read this board--it would make me think twice about going to Arkansas if not completely. There is so much talk of Huston Nutt and Markuson on here being complete idiots and incompetant at everything they do. If you were Lee Ziemba and you read that..what would you think about Arkansas? I'm not saying that you should go around saying only nice things...you definately need to let someone have it when they really screw up. But I'm just not a fan of constantly trashing them at all times. Does this make sense though? If not, go ahead, if you must.

FYI.....Lee Ziemba spends more online time than the average recruit.

proof:  http://www.[CENSORED].com/Ziemba

So, not that it makes any difference, but Im sure he reads hogville.

Porky OLeary

Quote from: swinemaster on March 30, 2006, 01:06:43 pm
Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 30, 2006, 12:54:29 pm
Quote from: swinemaster on March 30, 2006, 12:45:03 pm
And as far as being competent at 50% of your job, I'm sure your boss wouldn't want you to devote the majority of your efforts into a strategy that your company didn't have the personnel to execute.  And lastly, recruits love him.   

How long has Markuson been here?  8 full years and going into a ninth by my count.  That's his fault for not having the personnel if you think that's what the problem is.  You think some of these others schools have 5 bluechippers on the line?  I can tell you they have to coach 'em up a little bit.  Markuson better get busy.  He's wore out his welcome by far.  We've had the personnel to have some type of passing threat.  It's not my fault he's too incompetent to continue to spend 75% of practice on the running game. 

I'm not talking about having the personnel on the line.  I'm talking about thinking you can effectively throw the ball with QB's like Matt Jones for 4 years.  Is it his responsibility to recruit QB's and WR's.  Did he just forget how to coach pass blocking when Clint Stoerner and Anthony Lucas graduated?

No.
Those lines were taught by Ford's coaches.
Markuson never knew how to teach d1 passblocking at all, which is obvious if you look at his lines since the stoerner years. Six seasons and not a good line in the bunch. Couldn't even block for Matt freakin' Jones. Passblocking doesn't get any poorer than what markuson has brought to arkansas.

hoggin das

IMO Arkansas hasn't had the personnel to execute an effective passing game in quite a few years. We saw glimpses of it late last season when CD's number was called. Dick, Mustain, an improving receiving corps and a new offensive scheme should change everything. If not, then I will be ready to start pointing fingers at the OL coach. Not before.

Some of you guys remind me of Dick Cheney on a hunting trip.  ;)  Scatter shoot first.

BirmingHam

Quote from: pbjones81 on March 30, 2006, 01:36:08 pm

FYI.....Lee Ziemba spends more online time than the average recruit.

proof:  http://www.[CENSORED].com/Ziemba

So, not that it makes any difference, but Im sure he reads hogville.

And from all the articles about the relationship of Ziemba and Markuson, I can see that the message boards has seriously affected it.  A recruit reading these boards probably laughs at most of the opinions of some of us "glory years" athuleets.

jkstock04

The recruits can figure it out for themselves...if reading negative things on Hogville.net is gonna keep them from coming to Arkansas, then their desire to come to Arkansas probably wasn't that strong to begin with.  Some of us say Nutt and Markuson are below average coaches cause we call it like we see it....I like the saying, "dont shoot the messenger."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogman64

If you were a recruit and let a message board influence your college decision you would be to stupid to receive a scholarship..........

12under

doesnt make it right

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: 12under on March 31, 2006, 12:31:45 pm
doesnt make it right

Deep.
Retired Radio Host

12under

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 31, 2006, 12:33:02 pm
doesnt make it right

Deep.
this board is not a place of philosophy or deep thinking,  you should know

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: 12under on March 31, 2006, 12:35:22 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on March 31, 2006, 12:33:02 pm
doesnt make it right

Deep.
this board is not a place of philosophy or deep thinking,  you should know

Actually, many times it is.  Not all of the time, or even most times...but many times there is.
Retired Radio Host

mikeirwin

March 31, 2006, 01:58:15 pm #28 Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:12:37 pm by mikeirwin
I wouldn't count on a lot of recruits reading this or any other message board. Mitch did it  because he had a lot of fun messing with some of the people on this board who thought they knew what he was thinking at any given moment. He's got a wicked sense of humor. Like the time he posted his picture on facebook and gave Bo's cell phone number. It's hard to put anything over on Bo. He turned Mitch's prank around by pretending to be Mitch when fans would call. Bo would have them believing that he (Mitch) was going to Ole Miss or A-State or something silly like that.
The point is, that was an unusual situation. I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen next fall with other recruits.

The Pulse

Yeah it does seem rediculous for a recruit to make a message board the deciding factor in a school. I once saw a list made of the top things that recruits look for in a school and i'm pretty sure message boards wasn't on it. (Even things like team colors were though.) I just hope those recruits don't consider nutt and markuson to be what most on here say he is..otherwise we might not get them.