Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan, now a Missouri Tiger????

Started by mizzouman, March 29, 2006, 02:41:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

LA HAWG

HogDodging

Maybe we can convince Missouri to pay off the rest of Richardson's UA buyout.

mikeirwin

Send 'em a bill for $1,000,000. That's what's left.

hogfan064

What will really help Mizzou is the fact OU will be getting a new coach and OSU has its problems with Sutton.  Of course the league is tougher with Huggins going to KSU.  The Big 12 is definitely in a transition state.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Wildcats will be good for about 3 or 4 until Huggy's next DWI, or they are put on probation.  Texas and A&M should run the south, and MO, KS, and KSU the north until said probation sets in.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Buff

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 29, 2006, 02:51:32 pm
Mizzou will soon be a Big 12 power
and we will soon have a program that can go .500 in conference play every year

ColinRagan

I think Nolan is also beaming in the fact that a large # of AR fans wish we had hired Anderson instead of Heath.

GWINGATE

WITH ANDERSON AND HUGGINS BIG 12 IS GOING TO GET TOUGHER.
NOLAN HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BE PROUD OF MIKE ANDERSON

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 29, 2006, 02:57:06 pm
What will really help Mizzou is the fact OU will be getting a new coach and OSU has its problems with Sutton.  Of course the league is tougher with Huggins going to KSU.  The Big 12 is definitely in a transition state.

Have you seen OU's recruiting class?  Its ranked #4 by Rivals with a 5 star and 4 - 4 stars.  KU is going to be very good in the coming years.  Texass has figured out that they have great homegrown talent in another sport besides football.  A&M is pretty decent as long as they will pay to keep Gillespie.  Baylor will be a pretty good program soon.  Ok St will be back.  Huggins is at KSU.  I'm not buying that Mizzou is going to all of a sudden be at the top of the Big 12.

Mizzou's recruits for this class is 2 3 stars.  Coach A is going to have hope that Nolan has some more family or friend connections to get him players like the way it worked here.

JFHWGBKRIII

Isn't the payola to NR contingent on staying out of Div I?
Or is it the HC job that it pertains to?

pbjones81

Quote from: JFHWGBKRIII on March 29, 2006, 03:59:10 pm
Isn't the payola to NR contingent on staying out of Div I?
Or is it the HC job that it pertains to?

thats why he isnt coaching anywhere, and hasnt since he was let go.

Adam Stokes

Most of the good coaches have moved on, who is going to fill in at Oklahoma now that Sampson is at Indiana?

3kgthog

Put us in the Big XII North and we could probably be a power too. It's a joke of a conference.

Hog_One_Stop

Texas is the power along with Kansas not Missouri,  Mike will win some, and hope him the best.

94 Hawg

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 29, 2006, 03:53:46 pm

Have you seen OU's recruiting class?  Its ranked #4 by Rivals with a 5 star and 4 - 4 stars.  KU is going to be very good in the coming years.  Texass has figured out that they have great homegrown talent in another sport besides football.  A&M is pretty decent as long as they will pay to keep Gillespie.  Baylor will be a pretty good program soon.  Ok St will be back.  Huggins is at KSU.  I'm not buying that Mizzou is going to all of a sudden be at the top of the Big 12.

Mizzou's recruits for this class is 2 3 stars.  Coach A is going to have hope that Nolan has some more family or friend connections to get him players like the way it worked here.
is that #4 class staying since the coach is leaving?
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Hoghead

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 29, 2006, 03:01:35 pm
Wildcats will be good for about 3 or 4 until Huggy's next DWI, or they are put on probation.  Texas and A&M should run the south, and MO, KS, and KSU the north until said probation sets in.

I thought you had to have a DWI to Coach in the Big 12 anyway. Or is it a pill problem or both?

Hoghead

Quote from: ajs15razorman on March 29, 2006, 05:15:10 pm
  Most of the good coaches have moved on, who is going to fill in at Oklahoma now that Sampson is at Indiana?

Nolan Richardson!!!!!

pigture perfect

When Nolan was referencing tanks in his heated statement, I think he meant to say Armored truck.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

chillinhoggie

Quote from: 94 Hawg on March 29, 2006, 06:18:25 pm

they will be on probation soon enough, what was IU thinking hiring that guy?  OU will be down in basketball for a while thanks to him. Not that they care about basketball over there.

thehill1414

Quote from: chillinhoggie on March 29, 2006, 06:31:52 pm

they will be on probation soon enough, what was IU thinking hiring that guy?  OU will be down in basketball for a while thanks to him. Not that they care about basketball over there.

Exactly, they don't even get close to selling out a 12000 seat arena when they usually have a good team.  Those recruits are as good as gone.

hogtheball

It's good that Nolan has one son he can be proud of.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ColinRagan on March 29, 2006, 03:24:32 pm
I think Nolan is also beaming in the fact that a large # of AR fans wish we had hired Anderson instead of Heath.

And if Nolan hadn't been such a horsesass Mike might have indeed been the head coach here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

nwarazfan

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 29, 2006, 06:48:19 pm
Quote from: chillinhoggie on March 29, 2006, 06:31:52 pm

Exactly, they don't even get close to selling out a 12000 seat arena when they usually have a good team.  Those recruits are as good as gone.

You do realize the NCAA has to release these guys from their signed letters of intent, right?  Why would you think that a good coach couldn't keep them especially considering the fact that they have to petition the NCAA?

Even if they get minor sanctions and recruiting restrictions, get these 5 guys on campus and their next coach has a great start and these restrictions will be minimized.

hogwildinhouston

March 29, 2006, 08:20:40 pm #25 Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:24:50 pm by hogwildinhouston
I hope Nolan isn't waiting until 08 when he's finally paid off to pursue a job.  He'll be in his upper 60s and having not coached in 6+ years.  I don't think major programs will be beating down his door, or will even care where his door is.

I think the fact that he's not actively hunting is that he knows he can't land a major job and just doesn't want the embarrasment.  It's easier to sit back and throw stones than to openly pursue a job and then be turned down.  The lawsuit was the worst thing he could do for his career.  No major program wants any part of him.

I know a couple of people fairly high up in the UH athletic department.  When their job opened a few years ago, I really believed it was the perfect job for Nolan.  Great recruiting base within a few miles of campus, and his style would really excite people here in Houston.  When I mentioned his name, they openly said they wanted no part of him.  They instead hired a washed up Penders (who has done better than most thought).  They prefered a washed up, fairly tainted Tom Penders to Nolan.  That alone says a lot.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: hogtheball on March 29, 2006, 06:52:40 pm
It's good that Nolan has one son he can be proud of.
See, now THAT is funny.

wrightobe

Well, they will compete against Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Kansas, and Iowa, so we will shall see.

Anderson has got a load on his back at Columbia, trying to win in the Big 12, and securing his and the Athletic Director jobs.

It looks as if the Athletic Director recruited Anderson, and there are some people in high places who seem to want the Athletic Director's head.    :-\  :-\  :-\

lunchbox72703

that whole article is spooky...in an incestuous sort of way......

hogmary

Quit griping about the money.  The UA didn't have a gun to its head when it signed that contract.  I don't think that anyone was under any illusions when Nolan was fired that the money was going to be paid.  Consider it retirement money and payment for the good times when he was here, then forget it.  It's not coming out of your pockets.
I am more upset about the money we are paying 2 coaches who aren't producing like they should.

GWINGATE

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 29, 2006, 06:56:54 pm

And if Nolan hadn't been such a horsesass Mike might have indeed been the head coach here.
I think you need to cross out Nolan and put Frank

dishhog10

Excellent point.   OSU will not be the same without Eddie.   OU is now in transition.   Who would have thought that Texas and Texas A & M would be two of three premier teams in the Big 12 in Basketball?  Football, yeah that would make sense.  But basketball?  Huggins and Anderson are going to that league at the right time,  with one strong recruiting class they can crack the top 6 in and make the NCAA tourney.   
Lets band together and back BP

Hoghead

Sometimes you have to overlook Nolan. But Arkansas had a chance to get him and let him go because of his ties with Nolan. Stupid is as Stupid does!

Hoghead

Quote from: hogmary on March 30, 2006, 08:33:09 am
Quit griping about the money.  The UA didn't have a gun to its head when it signed that contract.  I don't think that anyone was under any illusions when Nolan was fired that the money was going to be paid.  Consider it retirement money and payment for the good times when he was here, then forget it.  It's not coming out of your pockets.
I am more upset about the money we are paying 2 coaches who aren't producing like they should.

5-6 & 4-7 in Football  A lost to Bucknell in NCAA's and people are still hot at the only guy besides the Track Coach with a "Real" National Championship to ever Grace the campus of the University of Arkansas Nolan Richardson. Spare me!  We went 5-6 with the Greatest Athelete at QB in the History of Razorback Football.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Hoghead on March 30, 2006, 12:17:27 pm

Sometimes you have to overlook Nolan. But Arkansas had a chance to get him and let him go because of his ties with Nolan. Stupid is as Stupid does!

Coach A has proved little at the major college level.  UAB is a mid major where he could get players into school- Eddins and Tobias - that he couldn't here or at a school like Mizzou.  We have no idea yet if we were stupid or if Mizzou is stupid. 

And this is not a defense of Heath or an arguement that he was the right hire.

HouTxRzbck

I doubt it!!
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

wrightobe

March 30, 2006, 08:08:48 pm #36 Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:19:35 pm by wrightobe
Quote from: hogwildinhouston on March 29, 2006, 08:20:40 pm
I hope Nolan isn't waiting until 08 when he's finally paid off to pursue a job.  He'll be in his upper 60s and having not coached in 6+ years.  I don't think major programs will be beating down his door, or will even care where his door is.

I think the fact that he's not actively hunting is that he knows he can't land a major job and just doesn't want the embarrassment.  It's easier to sit back and throw stones than to openly pursue a job and then be turned down.  The lawsuit was the worst thing he could do for his career.  No major program wants any part of him.

I know a couple of people fairly high up in the UH athletic department.  When their job opened a few years ago, I really believed it was the perfect job for Nolan.  Great recruiting base within a few miles of campus, and his style would really excite people here in Houston.  When I mentioned his name, they openly said they wanted no part of him.  They instead hired a washed up Penders (who has done better than most thought).  They preferred a washed up, fairly tainted Tom Penders to Nolan.  That alone says a lot.
Nolan Richardson has said many times that he has never, and never will ask for a job.

The reference being that he was such a good coach, they would come to him and ask him, such as what Arkansas and Frank Broyles did when they hired Richardson.

At one time, his statement of never having to ask for a job, might ring true, but now with his political agenda and discrimination lawsuit, those days are gone.

His best chance now, if he still wants to coach, is to be Mike Anderson's assistant coach.

I personally believe that the reason he is pursuing the discrimination suit in a higher court, is  that he can eventually replace Frank Broyles as athletic director.

I believe that is the job he really wants, to replace Frank Broyles.

To some, revenge is sweet.

hogwild84

You must remember though that OU got in trouble earlier this year for illegal recruiting practices, most notably too many calls to recruits and a sketchy "relationship" with Athletes First of Oklahoma, which a lot of their recruits come from. I dont blame Sampson for leaving because the NCAA is about to stick it to them.