Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ty Love

Started by jgphillips3, March 07, 2018, 05:35:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

We have been speculating on Morris ability to use his high school connections to find and identify talent early and whether that can pay off down the road.  This kid seems to be exactly that type of player/situation.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/mar/07/hogs-host-talented-sophomore-early-recruitment-exp/

SooieGeneris

Identifying and evaluating these kinds of kids early is an area that was sorely lacking the past 5 -6 years, maybe longer as I don't recall Petrino getting out front with sophs or 9th graders when he was here.

The kid may get a lot of other offers, but being 1st or among the first is something most can't accomplish. It's good to know that this staff is changing that.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Pig in the Pokey

This kid is going to be a star.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jgphillips3

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 07, 2018, 06:43:41 pm
Identifying and evaluating these kinds of kids early is an area that was sorely lacking the past 5 -6 years, maybe longer as I don't recall Petrino getting out front with sophs or 9th graders when he was here.

The kid may get a lot of other offers, but being 1st or among the first is something most can't accomplish. It's good to know that this staff is changing that.

I don't know how many know it, but Morris was the first to recognize the talent of and the first to offer Deshaun Watson.

Psychohog

Never smarten up a chump.

Psychohog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 07, 2018, 07:17:55 pm
I don't know how many know it, but Morris was the first to recognize the talent of and the first to offer Deshaun Watson.
everybody
Never smarten up a chump.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Psychohog on March 07, 2018, 09:49:38 pm
everybody

Judging by some of the ignorant comments I sometimes see here about Morris, I doubt that.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 07, 2018, 07:17:55 pm

I read that somewhere since Morris was named HC here. I believe he started building a relationship with Watson in the 8th or 9th grade IIRC. I agree, not everyone on here and in our fan base knows that.

It shows an ability to evaluate early, something many high level coaches do not have.  It is a hit or miss deal at that age. I recall all the ballyhoo about Kodi Burns when he was in the 7th or 8th grade in FS. Many thought he would be the type of player Watson has turned out to be.

Of course, Burns has a lot to be proud of, he scored a TD in the NCG, I think it was the only receiving TD of his college career, but he disappointed as a QB at the college level compared to the hype.

Back in the late 80s, I attended a JHS basketball game that one of my nephews was playing in vs Russellville. I walked into the gym and immediately my eyes were drawn to what looked like a grown man on the floor among a bunch of skinny kids.

The 8th grader looked to be every bit of 6'5 or 6'6 and around 230-240 and he was throwing down dunks in the pregame warmups. It was Corliss Williamson. After seeing him play, I told co-workers I had seen a future NBA player in a Junior High game and got laughed at.

It wasn't long before word spread and the local news started showing Gardner JHS highlights on a regular basis with reports of college coaches keeping tabs on Corliss. That was exceptional and it's easier to project a big kid in basketball than a football QB that early, but it's a great asset to have.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

sickboy

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 08, 2018, 12:06:06 am
I read that somewhere since Morris was named HC here. I believe he started building a relationship with Watson in the 8th or 9th grade IIRC. I agree, not everyone on here and in our fan base knows that.

It shows an ability to evaluate early, something many high level coaches do not have.  It is a hit or miss deal at that age. I recall all the ballyhoo about Kodi Burns when he was in the 7th or 8th grade in FS. Many thought he would be the type of player Watson has turned out to be.

Of course, Burns has a lot to be proud of, he scored a TD in the NCG, I think it was the only receiving TD of his college career, but he disappointed as a QB at the college level compared to the hype.

Back in the late 80s, I attended a JHS basketball game that one of my nephews was playing in vs Russellville. I walked into the gym and immediately my eyes were drawn to what looked like a grown man on the floor among a bunch of skinny kids.

The 8th grader looked to be every bit of 6'5 or 6'6 and around 230-240 and he was throwing down dunks in the pregame warmups. It was Corliss Williamson. After seeing him play, I told co-workers I had seen a future NBA player in a Junior High game and got laughed at.

It wasn't long before word spread and the local news started showing Gardner JHS highlights on a regular basis with reports of college coaches keeping tabs on Corliss. That was exceptional and it's easier to project a big kid in basketball than a football QB that early, but it's a great asset to have.

Burns is also a coach now too, right? He might not have been Deshaun Watson, but he's got plenty to be proud of, fo sho.

Peter Porker

Watson wasn't even born when Morris was in the 8th or 9th grade.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

And that was an attempt to be funny.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

oldhawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 08, 2018, 04:45:59 am

I got it, and I appreciate the attempt.  :)

sickboy

My favorite kind of humor. +1

jgphillips3

Gotta admit, it was chuckle inducing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 08, 2018, 04:45:37 am
Watson wasn't even born when Morris was in the 8th or 9th grade.

The genius of this if you're joking, and the stupidity if you're not are both equally awesome. Sometimes you hit something that's just gonna make people laugh. If you're the kind who doesn't care if the laughter is with you or at you, then you just excelled my friend..! +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogtimes

It was funny ....I love a great sense of humor. Too many on these boards take this stuff way to seriously.

justmakeit2thebcs

Billy Napier "found" Watson through a coaching friend in Gainesville, Ga prior to his freshman year.   Morris was a high school coach when Watson was playing as a freshman in HS.  Napier was replaced by Morris and liked his tape along with everyone else in the country.  Clemson offered prior to Watson's sophomore year.   Morris did a tremendous job recruiting Watson, but it's not like he saw something nobody else did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2679324-the-college-recruitment-of-deshaun-watson

woodrow hog call

I got it too, excellent work lol'ed and snorted too.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 07, 2018, 07:16:43 pm
This kid is going to be a star.

Strong words from Coach Robinson about Ty's talent.

Pudgepork

We need this young man to be a walking billboard for the Hogs.  Somebody drop off a care package of Hog gear on his porch.   Anonymous of course.

Snout team

Quote from: Richard Davenport on March 19, 2018, 03:04:55 pm

Strong words from Coach Robinson about Ty's talent.

Extremely.  Those Moore boys can play!
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.