Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long isn't going anywhere (He's gone)

Started by WildRazorback, October 07, 2017, 07:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WildRazorback

I don't understand why some people are pushing this narrative.. When Bielema was hired, people (including the media) praised Long for going with a proven winner - albeit from a different conference - who also brought stability and ethics back to the program. Now, has that worked out over time? No, of course not; Bielema may not even make it through this season. But to call for Long's head is just ridiculous. He hired a proven winner and fan favorite for our basketball coach. Our track and field program is among the best every year - if not THE best. And, on top of that, our baseball program is nationally recognized just about every year.. Bielema may go, but Long has done an fine job and will retain his position.

HogRyder

Quote from: WildRazorback on October 07, 2017, 07:14:32 pm
I don't understand why some people are pushing this narrative.. When Bielema was hired, people (including the media) praised Long for going with a proven winner - albeit from a different conference - who also brought stability and ethics back to the program. Now, has that worked out over time? No, of course not; Bielema may not even make it through this season. But to call for Long's head is just ridiculous. He hired a proven winner and fan favorite for our basketball coach. Our track and field program is among the best every year - if not THE best. And, on top of that, our baseball program is nationally recognized just about every year.. Bielema may go, but Long has done an fine job and will retain his position.

After today someone has to go.  Unless you have 15 million to pay baby Huey's boyout then the guy who gave it to him is gone.  He has lost any confidence in the next hire either way.

elviscat

Who hired this mess? I believe it was Mr. Integrity. The guy is way over his head when it comes to hiring a coach. He is a money man and that's about it.

Dark Helmet Hog

Jeff Long has done NOTHING for UA athletics. He got lucky and promoted himself nationally with the Pertrino fallout. Its all smoke and mirrors. The man is an idiot.

Calling All Hogs

I sure hope Jeff Long goes on twitter tonight and reminds us all again that there are more important things than winning cause, you know, that will reassure the fans and make us feel better. :)

Razorback_Mack

Are u serious? You're gonna give Jeff Long credit for our baseball and track programs? You are lost.....

grayhawg

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 07, 2017, 07:26:17 pm
I sure hope Jeff Long goes on twitter tonight and reminds us all again that there are more important things than winning cause, you know, that will reassure the fans and make us feel better. :)
Sarcasm button broke?

BallHog1

In the greater scheme he's right
That said, I'm tired of losing but I'm way tired of losing like this

Hollywood870

code red

Long may hang himself though if he does not fire Bielema on his own.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

I mean there's no sugarcoating it this team is going to be two and five and two weeks
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

All I see is two more wins. Mizzou maybe. And Coastal Carolina. That's it. We ain't beating LSU we ain't beating Ole Miss and we're not beating Mississippi State.

arkansastrack

Track program is in worse shape now that it was when he came here

Kevin

Jeff quit posting on hogville and resign
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rzrbk4life

Quote from: code red on October 07, 2017, 07:35:09 pm
All I see is two more wins. Mizzou maybe. And Coastal Carolina. That's it. We ain't beating LSU we ain't beating Ole Miss and we're not beating Mississippi State.

Agreed
Let's call those hogs!!!!

bondhue

What does the waiting list for those new sky boxes look like?
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Razorhog63

Jimmy Dykes....don't forget that screw-up.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: code red on October 07, 2017, 07:35:09 pm

We may well beat somebody but if we do I hope a bunch of people don't come back around showing support for Jeff & Bret.

Beaverfever

And he's done nothing with our basketball program.  The guy's tenure has been a failure.

Cinco de Hogo

Fail!

Boarsnest

Stadium Expansion with Bozo as coach
15 million dollar buyout

Just to name a couple!

atom hog

We as fans should reassure Long that we now have better things than his football program  to spend our money and time on.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: bondhue on October 07, 2017, 07:39:26 pm
What does the waiting list for those new sky boxes look like?

I don't know, but David Pryor's lone dissension vote for the NEZ development is looking fortuitous. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Pork Ranger

I think fans in Arkansas just have a hard time relating to him. I'd be surprised if he gets fired amidst the FBI basketball investigation. Obviously we are avoiding that mess.

My main problem with him is the structuring of CBBs contract.

Wild Bill Hog

Another BAC puppet pretending to be a Razorback fan.  We've seen it all before.

Tusks

Can someone tell me why hog fans should give a schit what the 'media' or other AD's think of JL ?

Does it get the hogs more wins, or extra money, or more times on TV ?

What exactly is the benefit to Arkansas of this B.S.?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

GoldCoastHog

And sadly, I believe you. I don't think anyone else is knocking down his door. Who is the AD at his alma mater, Michigan? I'm a little perplexed they haven't made a strong run at him, since he's one of their own. I'm curious what other major programs are currently courting him? Maybe someone can chime in here on any news.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: tusked on October 07, 2017, 07:52:41 pm
Can someone tell me why hog fans should give a schit what the 'media' or other AD's think of JL ?

Once upon a time a lot of people hated our coach...and I loved it!

Qui Gon Jinn

I don't see JL going anywhere either.  If, and its a BIG IF, the boosters are willing to pay the buyout, I don't see them also getting rid of an AD that has the respect of the rest of the college athletics world.  They may put some stipulations on the next hire, but JL will be the one making it.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

SPAL

I'm not worried about long. Long doesn't coach football. He has no effect on this team.

StanHog

Jeff Long Sucks and should have never been hired, but should have been fired the moment his ego wouldn't allow him to find a way to keep CBP. He has driven this program into the dirt. It's great that track is super, but not many really care about track, golf or cross country bowling in the grand scheme of things.

Fire Jeff Long

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: tusked on October 07, 2017, 07:52:41 pm

All these people supporting Long can't name one thing he's actually done for the University that is not out of the norm. He got lucky and got positive spin nationally by firing Petrino. That's all the man has done is get lucky with some hype. He is an idiot.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 07, 2017, 07:25:30 pm
Jeff Long has done NOTHING for UA athletics. He got lucky and promoted himself nationally with the Pertrino fallout. Its all smoke and mirrors. The man is an idiot.

On the mark.  Long was hired with an unimpressive resume and he has predictably underwhelmed.  He tipped his hand immediately with his attempt to hire buddy Tommy Bowden.   It was clear then that he doesn't belong here.

Pig Mania

Because you have to answer for 2 coaches that you've hired that leave in embarrassing Petrino fashion and another that is going to be fired for a horrible record on the field. He can hire winners all he wants but they have to win here.

Qui Gon Jinn

I should add, that I do believe JL has a poor record of coach hiring since he's been here.  I don't think he will be let go, but he should have bunches of oversight when it comes time to hire anyone and negotiate any buyouts.  His track record isn't good.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Cinco de Hogo

Don't forget that Long almost ran off Dave Van Horn with his brilliant strategy.  Think goodness CVH is not a mercenary like Jeff.