Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Think this guy might have helped?

Started by Pig in the Pokey, January 19, 2017, 11:03:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

We finished 2nd for a bunch of dudes last year. This guy was the biggest miss. Straight up beast, and a projected top 10 pick. First O-Lineman off the board; only lineman drafted in the first 25 picks in this mock draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-mock-draft-order-2017-raiders-bears-49ers-jets-eagles/1cb5zdvwvqsv91h300idttcyvy/slide/7
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bacon_Bitz

How many games do we win with Garrett Bolles and Solomon Thomas on the team last year?

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 19, 2017, 11:03:57 am
We finished 2nd for a bunch of dudes last year. This guy was the biggest miss. Straight up beast, and a projected top 10 pick. First O-Lineman off the board; only lineman drafted in the first 25 picks in this mock draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-mock-draft-order-2017-raiders-bears-49ers-jets-eagles/1cb5zdvwvqsv91h300idttcyvy/slide/7

You know, I watched a few Utah games this past year, and I was impressed, but not blown away. He did a great job in run blocking, but like a lot of left tackles, he got beat some with the speed rush. Now, don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have had him.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 11:10:11 am
You know, I watched a few Utah games this past year, and I was impressed, but not blown away. He did a great job in run blocking, but like a lot of left tackles, he got beat some with the speed rush. Now, don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have had him.
Im with ya. I watched them twice and tried to watch Bolles. He looked good, wasn't beaten that i saw. But I got to say, I was shocked when i saw this mock draft and , damn, that was a bigger miss than I thought. If he and Skip were our OTs, damn, man we would have had a helluva pair.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 19, 2017, 11:12:10 am
Im with ya. I watched them twice and tried to watch Bolles. He looked good, wasn't beaten that i saw. But I got to say, I was shocked when i saw this mock draft and , damn, that was a bigger miss than I thought. If he and Skip were our OTs, damn, man we would have had a helluva pair.

Well, Utah was usually getting the ball out quickly, and had a more mobile QB, that never hurts. But I saw another draft deal yesterday, he was in the top 50.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 11:14:49 am
Well, Utah was usually getting the ball out quickly, and had a more mobile QB, that never hurts. But I saw another draft deal yesterday, he was in the top 50.
1st round olineman. haven't had one of those since shawn andrews iirc.

Wildhog

Gotta have a recruiter that can land top OL.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 11:23:09 am
Gotta have a recruiter that can land top OL.

We thought we did, at one time. I was reading in the same article on these top 50 guys about an OL from Wisconsin, he transferred in from Wisconsin-Stevens and played one year at Wisconsin. It seems some OL are born, and some are developed into one, I think will have to hope on the later for the most part.

Pig in the Pokey

Part of our struggles this year was the switch to Coach Anderson. I actually think it will pay off in the end, I sure hope it does, but when I heard all of the technique changes that this line was going thru I knew there was going to be a bunch of mistakes. You got all 5 positions learning new techniques with 3 new starters and one of those guys was starting from scratch having never played O-Line. I expect to see a big jump in those guys next year. But I can see how from Bolles' point of view that wasn't exactly what he was looking for in his 1 season. He just wanted polish. Seems to have worked out well for him. Being a one year guy it isnt as bad for us, but I was just shocked to see how good he actually ended up being. That's crazy for a juco, tbh.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 11:28:06 am
We thought we did, at one time. I was reading in the same article on these top 50 guys about an OL from Wisconsin, he transferred in from Wisconsin-Stevens and played one year at Wisconsin. It seems some OL are born, and some are developed into one, I think will have to hope on the later for the most part.

Pittman COULD land the top OL.

I really think he and Bielema were just too damn picky those first couple of years.  And then he just mailed it in his last year here.

Anderson doesn't seem like he's going to pull in the big fish.  Wagner's a pretty good get.  The other two could pan out, but it's unlikely both of them do.  I still think we're not recruiting enough numbers.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 11:33:42 am

I really think he and Bielema were just too damn picky those first couple of years.  And then he just mailed it in his last year here.

Anderson doesn't seem like he's going to pull in the big fish.  Wagner's a pretty good get.  The other two could pan out, but it's unlikely both of them do.  I still think we're not recruiting enough numbers.
Coach b is the one who mailed it in this year. Wait until next year when he has a child to care for, we may see even more of that.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 11:33:42 am

Anderson worked early and often to get those three. Worked to get them on campus in January so at least one is a viable option for depth next year. OL take years to blossom - inaccurate to suggest if they will or will not pan out.

Pittman was heavily criticized by CBB for being too selective, and as a result left UA with too few options...basically every year. Pittman wanted a bird's nest on the ground for his recruiting. Then, he can work to get the players coveted without working as hard as he needed to at UA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 19, 2017, 12:05:52 pm
Anderson worked early and often to get those three. Worked to get them on campus in January so at least one is a viable option for depth next year. OL take years to blossom - inaccurate to suggest if they will or will not pan out.

Pittman was heavily criticized by CBB for being too selective, and as a result left UA with too few options...basically every year. Pittman wanted a bird's nest on the ground for his recruiting. Then, he can work to get the players coveted without working as hard as he needed to at UA.

I never said Anderson didn't work hard.

And I'm just speaking generally about some of them not panning out.  That's just a reality that happens with every class. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 19, 2017, 11:40:38 am
Coach b is the one who mailed it in this year. Wait until next year when he has a child to care for, we may see even more of that.

Lol....

jgphillips3

Considering Bolles bailed after one year, I'm kinda glad he didn't come here.  Yeah, he could have prevented the early season woes at tackle, but we had that squared by the 4th or 5th game.  It was the interior line failures that got us killed.  Since he wasn't here, now we have a guy more ready for next year.  Don't get me wrong, if we had everyone we needed but we're missing just one piece, then a one year player might be fine but otherwise I'm fine that we missed.

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 19, 2017, 12:43:58 pm
Considering Bolles bailed after one year, I'm kinda glad he didn't come here.  Yeah, he could have prevented the early season woes at tackle, but we had that squared by the 4th or 5th game.  It was the interior line failures that got us killed.  Since he wasn't here, now we have a guy more ready for next year.  Don't get me wrong, if we had everyone we needed but we're missing just one piece, then a one year player might be fine but otherwise I'm fine that we missed.

Man... I just don't agree with this AT ALL.

You want the most talent you can get on your roster EVERY year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 12:46:12 pm

Yeah, I agree.

jgphillips3

Don't get me wrong, if we could get a Russell Wilson or something for a season, I'm all for it.  However, since this thread was about "could he have helped us this year", I'm just saying I don't think it would have changed anything and might actually have hurt the future by other tackles not getting ready to play.  Also, a skills guy or corner back, one year is always going to be okay.  The offensive line though requires a little more cohesion and time to gel.  I just think one year wouldn't have made anything better and would have hindered the future in THIS case.  Now, if there were another Bolles out there this year, sure I would want to sign him but if, as this post is, a retrospective look is used, it just wouldn't have made much difference.

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 19, 2017, 12:53:33 pm
Don't get me wrong, if we could get a Russell Wilson or something for a season, I'm all for it.  However, since this thread was about "could he have helped us this year", I'm just saying I don't think it would have changed anything and might actually have hurt the future by other tackles not getting ready to play.  Also, a skills guy or corner back, one year is always going to be okay.  The offensive line though requires a little more cohesion and time to gel.  I just think one year wouldn't have made anything better and would have hindered the future in THIS case.  Now, if there were another Bolles out there this year, sure I would want to sign him but if, as this post is, a retrospective look is used, it just wouldn't have made much difference.

Agree to disagree.  Tackle was absolutely an issue this year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

acey33

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 01:34:42 pm
Agree to disagree.  Tackle was absolutely an issue this year.

Guard was more of an issue than Tackle...IMO, esp early on

The_Iceman

January 19, 2017, 02:18:01 pm #20 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:44:16 pm by The_Iceman
I think Coach Anderson did a good job developing the OL last year. I like the three OL in this year's class. Would love to see a strong 2018 class of OL, maybe a 4-star or two.

Auburn just landed a 5-star and two 4-stars in this year's class.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 12:23:05 pm
I never said Anderson didn't work hard.

And I'm just speaking generally about some of them not panning out.  That's just a reality that happens with every class. 
Very true.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 19, 2017, 11:40:38 am

LOL. He be begging for reasons to work late.
[CENSORED]!

Hawgndaaz

Not only that, but putting guys in the NFL at high draft spots is pretty much the #1 way to attract recruits.

See: us recruiting at TE

The Hawg Marshal

I'll tell you who I wish we could have landed. Solomon Thomas. I only saw one Stanford game this year( their Bowl game) and he was a one man wrecking crew. They couldn't keep him off of the QB. He's probably a top 10 draft pick this year which would have looked good on our resume to future recruits.

secneahog

Reeve Koehler. - bust
Brian Wallace.  - played last year
Zach Rogers.  - hasn't played
Deion Malone. - juco Redshirt
Dan Skipper. - solid
Jalen  Merrick. - hasn't played
Jake Heinrich. - true freshman redshirt
Frank Ragnow.  -  beast
Jovan Pruitt. - never got accepted.
Josh Allen. - bounced
Tretola. - beast.

That's who Pittman recruited primarily on the oline in three years. 

😳

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!