Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting and coaching changes

Started by lakecityhog, January 11, 2017, 09:53:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

It looks like we will not have our coaching situation resolved for the start of the last recruiting cycle will we?
(or maybe we do and it just hasn't been announced???)

How much will that hurt us or will it hurt at all?

greenie

Good luck to Robb Smith, wherever he goes, but I don't see his absence being much of an issue in recruiting.  In fact, I think it's more likely going to help as we will surely have at least a new DC before NSD.

King Kong

Since we only have 4 spots left it appears to be mininal impact.

colbs

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 11, 2017, 09:53:04 pm
It looks like we will not have our coaching situation resolved for the start of the last recruiting cycle will we?
(or maybe we do and it just hasn't been announced???)

How much will that hurt us or will it hurt at all?
Next weekend is the big recruiting weekend.  Hopefully a DC & new secondary coach will be named by then.

colbs

Quote from: King Kong on January 11, 2017, 10:57:55 pm
Since we only have 4 spots left it appears to be mininal impact.
I think it could be big since the final spots will go to defensive players.

King Kong

Quote from: colbs on January 11, 2017, 11:00:01 pm
I think it could be big since the final spots will go to defensive players.

Who? It appears Rhoads is staying. So no impact there as we are still recruiting 3 DB's Stewart, Calloway and Curl.

EK Franks stated on Richard Davenport that we want 2 more Dlineman. But we have none that have an official set up yet as we got on most of these kids late. So they don't have a close relationship with Segrest or Hagreaves assuming they are gone

Oklahawg

Quote from: King Kong on January 12, 2017, 05:56:54 am
Who? It appears Rhoads is staying. So no impact there as we are still recruiting 3 DB's Stewart, Calloway and Curl.

EK Franks stated on Richard Davenport that we want 2 more Dlineman. But we have none that have an official set up yet as we got on most of these kids late. So they don't have a close relationship with Segrest or Hagreaves assuming they are gone

They have relationships built with a couple of JUCO linemen. Kid out of NEO JUCO in OK and Johnson, from CA, who visited in December. OK kid visited unofficially in the summer but I don't know if he'll get an official visit. A few weeks ago we were to get a mid-week visit from a DE from GA that everyone seems to think is quite the long-shot.

A few notes on all of this:
1. we were basically done with the JUCO signees, save a spot or two we are still actively recruiting and we all know those storylines.
2. the mention of "graduate transfers" keeps popping up, often enough to make me think they have someone on the line they hope to reel in and they want an 85-man roster spot for them (and can't offer a new recruit that 85-man spot even though there is room in the signing class)

We don't know what new names pop up due to the recruit blowing up this fall and their video just now starting to hit the coaching circles.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2017, 07:12:52 am
They have relationships built with a couple of JUCO linemen. Kid out of NEO JUCO in OK and Johnson, from CA, who visited in December. OK kid visited unofficially in the summer but I don't know if he'll get an official visit. A few weeks ago we were to get a mid-week visit from a DE from GA that everyone seems to think is quite the long-shot.

A few notes on all of this:
1. we were basically done with the JUCO signees, save a spot or two we are still actively recruiting and we all know those storylines.
2. the mention of "graduate transfers" keeps popping up, often enough to make me think they have someone on the line they hope to reel in and they want an 85-man roster spot for them (and can't offer a new recruit that 85-man spot even though there is room in the signing class)

We don't know what new names pop up due to the recruit blowing up this fall and their video just now starting to hit the coaching circles.

RD posted Malik Young as a JUCO name. Another guy like the NEO kid - we are evaluating but haven't offered. They want JUCO kids to be extremely good fits for the program.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2017, 11:34:08 am
RD posted Malik Young as a JUCO name. Another guy like the NEO kid - we are evaluating but haven't offered. They want JUCO kids to be extremely good fits for the program.

Looks like they're out west somewhere, like Arizona???

https://twitter.com/BretBielema/status/819620210894249985

colbs

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2017, 11:34:08 am

Young could be a nice late pick up.   Maybe a 34 DE? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 12, 2017, 02:09:27 pm
Young could be a nice late pick up.   Maybe a 34 DE? 

He's visiting next weekend.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2017, 05:21:30 pm
He's visiting next weekend.

We have been keeping Malik around fore a while. Good to see us moving on him - I think he is a quality recruit.

ChicoHog

January 13, 2017, 09:22:30 pm #14 Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:09:20 pm by ChicoHog
We already have Maleek Willaims and Malik Barkley.  Might as well add Malik Young.  Too bad we missed on Malik Monk!

factchecker

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 13, 2017, 09:22:30 pm
We already have Maleek Willaims and Malik Barkley.  Might as well add Malik Young.  Too bad we missed on Maik Monk!

We have Malica Monk.... women's basketball from North Little Rock.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LJHOG

Concerning the departure of Robb Smith was he encouraged to leave or is it more of a rat leaving a sinking ship?

kaki

Quote from: LJHOG on January 14, 2017, 08:14:26 am
Concerning the departure of Robb Smith was he encouraged to leave or is it more of a rat leaving a sinking ship?
have you been paying attention?  Or was this just your opportunity to take a shot? 

ricepig

Quote from: kaki on January 14, 2017, 08:20:58 am
have you been paying attention?  Or was this just your opportunity to take a shot? 

Bang...

Dominicanhog

Big if's but, if we were to sign all 3 Db's and 2 DL's we'd be at 25... I thought we were maxed on the 85 total and could only take 22-23 this year..... did the recent transfers take care of this or would someone drop off the current list to make room?

King Kong

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 14, 2017, 09:32:44 am

Big if's but, if we were to sign all 3 Db's and 2 DL's we'd be at 25... I thought we were maxed on the 85 total and could only take 22-23 this year..... did the recent transfers take care of this or would someone drop off the current list to make room?

Ricky Town and Duwop transferred. But I have no idea how close or not close we are the 85 limit

East TN HAWG

Does anyone know if Segrest or Hargraves is on the recruiting trial?  You would think there would be twitter activity if they were.  Hmmm.

Oklahawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 14, 2017, 12:44:48 pm
Does anyone know if Segrest or Hargraves is on the recruiting trial?  You would think there would be twitter activity if they were.  Hmmm.

Both have been out.

FWIW: numerous school punt on a coach after signing day.

That coach is given until the day after signing day to find another job, or risk being fired. The "keep recruiting" angle allows the current school to hang onto them if they want to. Or, something like that. I do know that we lost a great DB from Houston area to Nebraska a few years ago only to have the position coach fired as soon as the LOI arrived in Lincoln. Literally, was within minutes the coach was released from duty.

Oklahawg

BTW, if you read the tweets you hear the parents gushing on CBB and his methods.

Maybe HV should pay attention.

factchecker

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2017, 01:14:29 pm
BTW, if you read the tweets you hear the parents gushing on CBB and his methods.

"Nah man..... it's the kool-aid drinking media and Jeffie paying these parents to spread fake news and positivity." 

Prkataroony out
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Porkatarian

I think CBB is the best recruiting head coach we've had on the hill since Danny Ford.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Oklahawg

ChicoHog

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 14, 2017, 01:57:42 pm
I think CBB is the best recruiting head coach we've had on the hill since Danny Ford.

Porkatarian out...
Absolutely true.  Ford did a nice job recruiting back in the day. 

parallaxpig

Has anyone seen a recruiting column or pic posted that mentions or has Segrest or Hargreaves visiting a recruit anywhere? Just curious....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Porkatarian on January 14, 2017, 01:57:42 pm

Porkatarian out...
Exactly right! BB is far superior to the last 2, and most of Nutt's success was from what Ford built!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2017, 12:54:16 pm
Exactly right! BB is far superior to the last 2, and most of Nutt's success was from what Ford built!

Yes, best recruiting head coach, but the overall recruiting has remained on par with the past...not measurably different.  The only difference is BB has shown a better ability to retain the talent within the program, which is significant.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 15, 2017, 01:22:40 pm
Yes, best recruiting head coach, but the overall recruiting has remained on par with the past...not measurably different.  The only difference is BB has shown a better ability to retain the talent within the program, which is significant.
You keep saying it but it won't make it true, this will be by far the best 5 classes in a row since Ford was here! Now you get to add to that the retention, our recruiting is far superior to the prior 2. I just don't understand how people can't comprehend these facts.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2017, 01:34:14 pm
You keep saying it but it won't make it true, this will be by far the best 5 classes in a row since Ford was here! Now you get to add to that the retention, our recruiting is far superior to the prior 2. I just don't understand how people can't comprehend these facts.

I see scholarship offers.  I see that like almost every other year, we get about 4 or 5 actual blue chip type recruits.  We then get a handful of the next group, good players who will be solid contributors.  We continue to finish about the same in the rankings each year and about the same on the field too.  Talent is not measurably better IMO...at least not in numbers..  The retention of that talent is, though, i.e...we're actually keeping more of it in the program.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Oklahawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 07:48:57 pm
https://twitter.com/Leek_B2/status/820780205270765568

Nice find. I enjoy seeing these - has to be a fantastic moment for the recruits to pose with all the coaches and to feel good about your college choice.

Sow Lancelot

No, no, no. Those parents can't possibly know what they are talking about. They must have been paid off to say those things in public.

We all know CBB just sits in his office, petting his dogs with his flip-flops, while listening to reggae.

That's what they've told us.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 16, 2017, 12:49:24 pm
The finish to last signing day was decidedly underwhelming.  To try and spin it any other way is disingenuous. 

Retention of players who aren't getting it done on the field is not a bragging point.  When signing day wins start correlating to fall victories pointing to retention might actually mean something.

If we get more good news than bad on signing day everyone can have a little something to be optimistic about going forward.  Until something like that happens skeptics will have validity, because our current HC hasn't proven he's capable of competing using the "doing more with less" formula.

It is also disingenuous to only note a certain portion of a recruiting effort, such as the last few days vs the entire project. Plenty of great players in 2016 to be excited about (borrowing from another thread, beating Bama for Harris, LSU for Guidry, flipping Marshall from OSU, etc).

If we back up and generically say, "a player from [insert home town of a perennial SEC power] whose father caters team functions for that team has UA as one of his final schools...do we sign him?"...you would conclude, "no, we won't". So, when that narrative plays out with Kristian Fulton in 2016 why is that a negative?

UA got beat up pretty good with some vicious recruiting tactics by other schools, or so I'm told (believe as you wish). Texas, in particular, engaged in some pretty unscrupulous behavior that could have cost us at least one player.

I was not happy with the end-game whiff on Fulton, Cleveland, Porter, etc. I was pleased that we had a good class locked down before that happened. If I had a complaint its that we didn't chase one additional backup plan so that we were not signing a big-time reach at the end of the class. I acknowledge that and won't apologize for that - only need to sign one of the final 4-5 to avoid that situation...by why not have a non-P5 commit sitting, waiting on UA to call on signing day?

Hogdomer

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 16, 2017, 01:00:48 pm
It is also disingenuous to only note a certain portion of a recruiting effort, such as the last few days vs the entire project. Plenty of great players in 2016 to be excited about (borrowing from another thread, beating Bama for Harris, LSU for Guidry, flipping Marshall from OSU, etc).

If we back up and generically say, "a player from [insert home town of a perennial SEC power] whose father caters team functions for that team has UA as one of his final schools...do we sign him?"...you would conclude, "no, we won't". So, when that narrative plays out with Kristian Fulton in 2016 why is that a negative?

UA got beat up pretty good with some vicious recruiting tactics by other schools, or so I'm told (believe as you wish). Texas, in particular, engaged in some pretty unscrupulous behavior that could have cost us at least one player.

I was not happy with the end-game whiff on Fulton, Cleveland, Porter, etc. I was pleased that we had a good class locked down before that happened. If I had a complaint its that we didn't chase one additional backup plan so that we were not signing a big-time reach at the end of the class. I acknowledge that and won't apologize for that - only need to sign one of the final 4-5 to avoid that situation...by why not have a non-P5 commit sitting, waiting on UA to call on signing day?

I would be interested to hear about those vicious recruiting tactics.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 16, 2017, 01:36:21 pm
I would be interested to hear about those vicious recruiting tactics.

Read. It is on HV.

Attila the Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 16, 2017, 04:59:42 pm
Read. It is on HV.

Any chance you could narrow it down a bit for an old time like me?  I did a search but not a lot of luck on these tactics.  Thanks.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Attila the Hog on January 16, 2017, 08:59:09 pm
Any chance you could narrow it down a bit for an old time like me?  I did a search but not a lot of luck on these tactics.  Thanks.

I covered it last February although others said it better (can't remember which poster to credit, sorry). Texas encouraged a commit to act like he was uncommitted and visit with a player UT wanted in an attempt to sabotage the visit. It worked. Porter's situation was sketchy although no one could prove it was a payola situation. UT boosters were supposedly pulling out big wads of cash to prop up Strong as a pushback against the anti-Strong crowd. Porter, Cuffie and Jones (the two visiting recruits) were three we thought we had a shot at until $$ may have gotten in the way. Strong couldn't recruit to UT, for whatever reason.

For years, it was the private schools pumping cash into the recruiting process. Baylor, TCU, SMU...then suddenly UT was desperately seeing cash in the pipeline. Not that it wasn't before but this time it was right up front.

Porter went from a strong UA interest/lean to not interested.

What you have to dial in here is that there are folks on the street who know the HS coaches for these kids plus others who see them on their UA visits. These folks get the scoop back to someone ... even if it can't be published. Especially when it can't be published.

UA got burned big time on Cleveland. Momma and the Houston family were sold on him to UA. Loved everything about CBB and UA. Baby-Daddy appears out of nowhere and tries to reboot a relationship. Baby-Daddy lives in Gainesville, FL. Oops.

I cover the Fulton issue elsewhere. Solomon Thomas was an above-board issue - who could refuse Stanford academics? We do lose out on good recruits at the end. We are often the bridesmaid and too often not the bride. But, we do win on good recruits. Gotta try, right? We face an uphill struggle with the inroads that exist in TX with so many schools, especially those willing to finance the effort. I've posted extensive on OU/Switzer recruiting in TX. It helps understand the entire state's situation. You are going to face a money battle for most big recruits (especially in non-Metro area high schools).

Didn't mean to be daft about the search. Apologies.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2017, 09:12:08 pm
We have been keeping Malik around fore a while. Good to see us moving on him - I think he is a quality recruit.
https://twitter.com/Young4Malik/status/821130930177703937

gchamblee

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 15, 2017, 01:34:14 pm

not to mention that we are still recruiting at this level while limiting who we offer based on character, which to me is the most impressive.

gchamblee

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 16, 2017, 01:18:33 pm
Not noting a certain portion of a recruiting effort, rather pointing out that trying to prop up our recruiting results by pointing to a certain portion of a recruiting effort such as 'retention' gets no points when the net result on the field doesn't show it to be worth anything so far.

In fact, it's more accurate to say I was pointing out the fallacy of trying to prop up 'a certain portion of a recruiting effort'.

no, what you're doing is barging into recruiting threads trying to make people that enjoy the recruiting process as miserable as you are. ive seen you in action plenty to know your game. if we filled all of our spots and had 0 openings on nsd, you'd still be in here going on about how we were a bust on nsd. honesty is not something you are very fond of.

Attila the Hog

Thanks Oklahawg for the more in depth response.  That is very helpful.

WooPig90

hobhog

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 17, 2017, 03:05:03 pm
What is it with Florida going after our JUCO guys?!!

Have they offered?

Bubba's Bruisers

Malik looks bigger than 285.  Would be a nice JUCO get for the DL.