Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting impact from coaching changes

Started by Trystran, January 04, 2017, 05:13:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Trystran

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to throw this out there. From a recruiting standpoint, do you believe waiting until after signing day to make changes would be viewed as dirty by recruits or potential recruits? I understand that recruits are being told they are choosing a school, not a coach. However, that personal relationship does weigh in on a choice regardless.

Which do you think is a better approach from the perspective of a recruit... making changes right after the season (give recruits time to adjust or change their mind but have more coaches to choose from), close to signing day (possibly too late for recruits to change their minds, but possibly miss out on available coaches), or after signing day (when recruits have no option, but a lot of coaches are off the table)?

tophawg19

I'd have to say go ahead and make the change . you never know who a new coach might could bring in with them
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Trystran

I would agree. Make the right hire and it may solidify the recruits' faith, and attract others. I always feel like waiting until the last second or after NSD was shady, but I'm not the one wearing the shoes.

tophawg19

anything that happens will be after the 11th unless one of the asst. coaches jump early

sowmonella

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 04, 2017, 06:20:17 pm
anything that happens will be after the 11th unless one of the asst. coaches jump early

What happens on the 11th? Thanks.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

tophawg19

coaches convention wraps up . it runs from the 8th to the 11th

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hognspace

Quote from: Trystran on January 04, 2017, 05:13:41 pm
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to throw this out there. From a recruiting standpoint, do you believe waiting until after signing day to make changes would be viewed as dirty by recruits or potential recruits? I understand that recruits are being told they are choosing a school, not a coach. However, that personal relationship does weigh in on a choice regardless.

Which do you think is a better approach from the perspective of a recruit... making changes right after the season (give recruits time to adjust or change their mind but have more coaches to choose from), close to signing day (possibly too late for recruits to change their minds, but possibly miss out on available coaches), or after signing day (when recruits have no option, but a lot of coaches are off the table)?

I would suspect chang s after
Signing day.

Oklahawg

The trend has been for changes to happen after signing day. Kinda crappy for the players, but the "bird in the hand, two in the bush" theory says go with the recruits you already have and not risk whiffing all the way around (losing commits because the coach left and the new coach can't land new ones).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra