Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog Recruiting in Texas and LA Just got a lot tougher

Started by HHH, January 03, 2017, 11:02:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HHH

Apparently they only got one locked down in Texas this year of the top 100.  Tom Herman at UT was one of the best recruiters Mack Brown had and he is going to make it very difficult to get the top talent out of Texas.  (also see Texas A&M and OUs commitments).  Ed Orgeron will be building a fence around the talent pool in Louisiana.  Hope Bielema has a plan even if it is the Juco route.  Even Saban gets his share of the Texas HS players.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=TX

ShadowTheHedgehog

It is going to be fine LSU and UT always recruit well regardless of the coach. I don't think we will see much of a difference.

hawgon

There are already kids from Mt. Pleasant and DeKalb and the like lighting it up for teams like Baylor with nary a mention of offers from the Hogs.  Either they weren't offered or they didn't feel the offer was significant enough to list it when showing their offers.  Either way, that ain't good.  Recruiting down there couldn't get much worse.

Torqued pork

We haven't exactly been tearing it up in Texas or Louisiana anyway. Business as usual.

ricepig

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 03, 2017, 11:10:23 am
We haven't exactly been tearing it up in Texas or Louisiana anyway. Business as usual.

Both RB's are from Texass, several starters from Louisiana, so we've hit on several.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HHH on January 03, 2017, 11:02:53 am
Apparently they only got one locked down in Texas this year of the top 100.  Tom Herman at UT was one of the best recruiters Mack Brown had and he is going to make it very difficult to get the top talent out of Texas.  (also see Texas A&M and OUs commitments).  Ed Orgeron will be building a fence around the talent pool in Louisiana.  Hope Bielema has a plan even if it is the Juco route.  Even Saban gets his share of the Texas HS players.

When have we ever outrecruited UT in Texas or LSU in La?  This isn't who we compete against in those states in most cases. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Torqued pork

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:14:22 am
Both RB's are from Texass, several starters from Louisiana, so we've hit on several.
We get a few. Need more.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:14:22 am

LA recruiting has been great.  Texas recruiting has been down, numbers-wise.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

colbs

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on January 03, 2017, 11:06:06 am
It is going to be fine LSU and UT always recruit well regardless of the coach. I don't think we will see much of a difference.

Tusks

I never understood why with all the assistant turnover BB didn't hire one of the national ranked recruiters out of TX and turn them loose down there.

The hogs have gotten nothing for playing in Jerry World or nothing substantial other than $$.  I think it's more of a branding event for future students more than an athletic recruiting event.

I see no issue with signing 10 guys from TX that fall in the top TX 200 or 250.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Atlhogfan1

Texas is the hellhole of 7on7 spread football.  Doesn't exactly lineup with what we want to do.  It does the Big 12.  It lines up with Sumlin.  I'm sure Chavis loves it ::)

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wildhog

I feel like we've spent too many resources recruiting Texas lately, to be honest.  We're seeing much better returns in LA.  Re-hire Partridge for Florida and get a stud LA recruiter and let's roll.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tusked on January 03, 2017, 11:17:50 am
I never understood why with all the assistant turnover BB didn't hire one of the national ranked recruiters out of TX and turn them loose down there.

The hogs have gotten nothing for playing in Jerry World or nothing substantial other than $$.  I think it's more of a branding event for future students more than an athletic recruiting event.

I see no issue with signing 10 guys from TX that fall in the top TX 200 or 250.

Said that back when we went down this path.  Should have shortened the length of the contract.  Don't get me started on giving up a home game and having to play away from home 4 times in 6 weeks next season because we gave up the home game. 

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 03, 2017, 11:20:18 am
I feel like we've spent too many resources recruiting Texas lately, to be honest.  We're seeing much better returns in LA.  Re-hire Partridge for Florida and get a stud LA recruiter and let's roll.

Correct, as I've stated, I don't care where they athletes come from.

onebadrubi

Ed was at LSU before as well, so I don't see anything changing accept our dedication growing for LA kids. 

We will continue to focus on North texas kids like we have always done and get a few here and there.  We all here knew texas's decline over the last decade would not be forever and they would come back strong.  We saw them close as strong as ever last recruiting season, specifically head to head for more than a few kids with us. 

We aren't trying to build a full class from Texas like some schools.  We are trying to pull a few elite from there like we've been doing, and have a nice one committed in Bumper Pool and a good foot in the door with Williams little brother. 

Learn to not sweat the things you can't control.  And texas head coaching is something we can't control. 

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 11:19:02 am
Texas is the hellhole of 7on7 spread football.  Doesn't exactly lineup with what we want to do.  It does the Big 12.  It lines up with Sumlin.  I'm sure Chavis loves it ::)

Players are players, we seem to have good enough skill people on the roster or signed, we need linemen, DB's, and LB's.........and probably at least 2/3 new coaches for those positions.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Texas is the hellhole of 7on7 spread football.  Doesn't exactly lineup with what we want to do.  It does the Big 12.  It lines up with Sumlin.  I'm sure Chavis loves it ::) .
Exactly, Wally Hall talked about this a couple weeks ago. Hard to recruit guys that want to play finnesseball
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 03, 2017, 11:25:10 am
Exactly, Wally Hall talked about this a couple weeks ago. Hard to recruit guys that want to play finnesseball

There was a top if not number 1 at position OG or OT a year or two ago that said he was going to Ole Miss because he thought the spread style offense was best to prepare him for the NFL.  It is all he knew from growing up and high school and it is what he felt comfortble with obviously to make that comment.  I think his name was Little?

Hawghiggs

I'm sure the Gus bus is trying to figure out what happened?

Torqued pork

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:20:50 am
I don't really care where they come from, do you?
No, but there's that darn 200-mile recruiting radius monster and LA and TX are closer than most places.

Piggfoot

I don't think there will be much change. Recruiting wasn't Texas' problem and Ogeron has been at LSU for how long?
We must increase our exposure in Texas. Play home and home with Houston and Rice, and
TCU and SMU. These should be our OOC games. Plus hire a known Texas recruiters, preferably one on offense and one on defense.
Playing these games in Texas would allow the boy's family to regularly see their son.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 03, 2017, 11:25:10 am

Kansas state and Oklahoma didn't look like finesse teams to me.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 11:24:05 am
Players are players, we seem to have good enough skill people on the roster or signed, we need linemen, DB's, and LB's.........and probably at least 2/3 new coaches for those positions.

Yes.  Get them from wherever we can.  Leftovers from Florida(and take the discipline risk which comes with Florida), La, Ga, Al, Ms, Tn, linemen from the Midwest.  Mix them with the very few we get from in state, hope for an in stater with rare talent occasionally and build Arkansas teams.  Outrecruit the other vultures who try and come into these states.  Recruit Texas kids who want to play football and not try and avoid hitting people and aren't enamored with UT or A&M. 

RazorPiggie

LA has 128 kids in the 24/7 database. LSU can only sign 25. That leaves 103 to choose from.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 03, 2017, 11:28:51 am
Kansas state and Oklahoma didn't look like finesse teams to me.

Snyder has held out as the exception.  He was playing one of those Texas programs in the bowl.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 11:32:09 am
Snyder has held out as the exception.  He was playing one of those Texas programs in the bowl.

That's one way to look at it. Another way is that he beat a SEC team that we lost to.

Atlhogfan1

January 03, 2017, 11:34:02 am #27 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:01:46 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 03, 2017, 11:30:18 am
LA has 128 kids in the 24/7 database. LSU can only sign 25. That leaves 103 to choose from.

Minus also the ones who can't qualify. 

The Mississippi problem.  Lots of talent.  But it sadly for the kids gets reduced significantly due to the horrid education and culture of the delta.  Makes for good JC football in Ms. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 11:34:02 am
Minus also the ones who can't qualify.  The Mississippi problem.  Lots of talent.  But it sadly for the kids gets reduced significantly due to the horrid education and culture of the delta.  Makes for good JC football in Ms.

I don't see many of the top LA kids having eligibility issues? 

ricepig

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 03, 2017, 11:27:44 am
No, but there's that darn 200-mile recruiting radius monster and LA and TX are closer than most places.

Sure, but it's a proven fact there are kids from Florida that will go anywhere, and continue looking for those from elsewhere that will come. We've done a good job in LA, as far as Texas, most seem to need a connection to come.

Youngsta71701

Texas can only sign 25 and LSU can only sign 25. They can only sign so many at each position. Much more than 25 D1 players in each state.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 03, 2017, 11:36:58 am
I don't see many of the top LA kids having eligibility issues?

The post to which I responded mentioned 103. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 11:39:49 am
The post to which I responded mentioned 103.

Those 103 are eligibility issues?  That is the number of LA kids in the 24/7 database that can't sign with LSU.

onebadrubi

Also keep in mind people here use to get really mad when we were going after LA kids years ago and they had La tech, ULM, and La lafett as some of their better offers.  You have 4 schools right there trying hard for those 125 kids or more.  Of course each school will pull a few kids from outside the state, as well as other schools outside the state will be coming hard after some of the instate (LA) kids.  We had a real good crop last year of La kids that Bama, LSU, and other schools wanted.  We must keep that up!

ricepig

According to 24/7 we gave out 197 offers with 44 of those going to players in Texas, about 22%.

Atlhogfan1

January 03, 2017, 12:01:07 pm #36 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:36:02 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: onebadrubi on January 03, 2017, 11:46:32 am
Those 103 are eligibility issues?  That is the number of LA kids in the 24/7 database that can't sign with LSU.

The poster said there are 103.  I replied we have to reduce that number due to academics.  It is the case in every state.

Then I went on to comment on the state of Mississippi.  I should have started a new paragraph.  My mistake. 

Biggus Piggus

Orgeron building a fence? LOL. Good lord. You think Miles was underperforming?

Louisiana produces more players than LSU can absorb. That is why Arkansas recruits there.

Same deal with Texas. UT isn't going to move the needle at all. The state's loaded with players every year. Just got to make a serious effort there, every year, which Arkansas doesn't do.
[CENSORED]!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 12:01:07 pm
Do I really have to [CENSORED] explain it?

The poster said there are 103.  I replied we have to reduce that number due to academics.  It is the case in every state.

Then I went on to comment on the state of Mississippi.  I should have started a new paragraph.  My mistake.

You made that comment, and I asked!!!!???  Do the top LA kids ever have eligibility issues?  Talk about a short temper!  You made that comment, now support it because I don't remember this being an issue?

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: tusked on January 03, 2017, 11:17:50 am
I think it's more of a branding event for future students more than an athletic recruiting event.

Ding! Ding! Ding! we have a winner!

I suspect Texas is a bit of an outlier in terms of available college bound students since UT an ATM have to limit the number of high academic achievers they accept by law.  This means there are a large number of smart students who can't go to those schools.

The UofA was looking to grow and saw Texas as a good opportunity to get good students.  My son has already been accepted for next fall and was given a large discount on the out of state tuition (we live in Houston) because of his academic achievements.

My cousin works in admissions at the UofA.  We were recently discussing Texas recruiting efforts (for scholars, not athletes), and now that the University has grown so much they are looking to slow down out-of-state recruitment.  I would assume that the focus on getting students from Texas will be reduced and perhaps when the Jerry World Series comes up for renewal the University will decide to pass and go back to home-and-home.

I just wish CBB would make some comment about not liking to play home games away from Fayetteville, then maybe ADJL would make sure we get ATM at Fayetteville.

-phil

ricepig

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on January 03, 2017, 12:25:22 pm
Ding! Ding! Ding! we have a winner!

I suspect Texas is a bit of an outlier in terms of available college bound students since UT an ATM have to limit the number of high academic achievers they accept by law.  This means there are a large number of smart students who can't go to those schools.

The UofA was looking to grow and saw Texas as a good opportunity to get good students.  My son has already been accepted for next fall and was given a large discount on the out of state tuition (we live in Houston) because of his academic achievements.

My cousin works in admissions at the UofA.  We were recently discussing Texas recruiting efforts (for scholars, not athletes), and now that the University has grown so much they are looking to slow down out-of-state recruitment.  I would assume that the focus on getting students from Texas will be reduced and perhaps when the Jerry World Series comes up for renewal the University will decide to pass and go back to home-and-home.

I just wish CBB would make some comment about not liking to play home games away from Fayetteville, then maybe ADJL would make sure we get ATM at Fayetteville.

-phil

Well, when your #1 booster owns AT+T, you listen to him, too.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 03, 2017, 12:19:08 pm

You made that comment, and I asked!!!!???  Do the top LA kids ever have eligibility issues?  Talk about a short temper!  You made that comment, now support it because I don't remember this being an issue?
Some do of course.  When you are talking about 128 recruits.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Those hires will have very little to zero effect on our recruiting. We don't get players from Louisiana that LSU wantS.   If you look at premium programs that Texas players want to go to Arkansas is low on the list.    It's not like we are having a lot of direct recruiting battles with Texas in that state most of the players we are recruiting there are going to Baylor Oklahoma Ole Miss A&M LSU----- all teams that have more hype than we do.

Wildhog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 03, 2017, 12:45:58 pm
Those hires will have very little to zero effect on our recruiting. We don't get players from Louisiana that LSU wantS.   If you look at premium programs that Texas players want to go to Arkansas is low on the list.    It's not like we are having a lot of direct recruiting battles with Texas in that state most of the players we are recruiting there are going to Baylor Oklahoma Ole Miss A&M LSU----- all teams that have more hype than we do.

Agree about Texas.  There's just too much competition.

On LA, we don't have to get the ones that LSU wants.  If we can be the most popular #2 option down there, we can get a lot of SEC-quality players.
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on January 03, 2017, 11:20:18 am
Why isn't Partridge already back on staff? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 03, 2017, 12:49:25 pm
Why isn't Partridge already back on staff?

Because all the coaching changes happen at the AFCA conference.

Later this month

Wildhog

Quote from: King Kong on January 03, 2017, 12:51:36 pm
Because all the coaching changes happen at the AFCA conference.

Later this month

I mean, a lot do.  There'd be no reason for that with Partridge, though, given his history with CBB.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Wildhog on January 03, 2017, 12:55:15 pm
I mean, a lot do.  There'd be no reason for that with Partridge, though, given his history with CBB.
No reason not to. Sign him as a "consultant" right now and move him into whatever assistant coach spot we can ASAP.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***