Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Melvin Johnson

Started by Bacon_Bitz, December 15, 2016, 07:36:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

does anyone know much about Melvin Johnson

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 11:08:12 am
Yes, but there are very few legit in-state kids.  We have to effectively go outside and participate in the blood bath.

Yes we do.  As I mentioned on here before, this staff has our hat getting put on the table with top recruits more than ever the last 2-3 years.  We HAVE to start to close a few of those, Martin hopefully being the first of many.  We've really improved our Louisiana recruiting base with Michael Smith's help.  I don't think anyone would argue we must continue to improve else where similar to the job he has done. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 15, 2016, 08:44:53 am
But I don't know that CBB necessarily expects a hulking behemoth at NG like Bama

Well it was CBB going after 350lb Javier Edwards

Pig in the Pokey

moving to a 3-4. at least we have jackson next year. maybe capps can hold 325lbs. we'll see.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

presidenthog

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on December 15, 2016, 08:41:38 am
you forgot guidry red shirted 4* 6'3 294 DT
That isn't big enough to play NT. Need a 350 guy who requires a double team.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: presidenthog on December 15, 2016, 07:25:42 pm

My hope is that Guidry will be our next Philon.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

a0ashle

Not in a 1 gap 3-4 scheme

Oklahawg

The reason the staff prioritized Edwards over Johnson is that Edwards would be here in January, and hopefully beat the learning curve that hits so many JUCO guys. Johnson coming in over the summer means he misses winter workouts and skull sessions (hoganese stuff) and spring drills. That is the difference. I thought Johnson had three to play three, maybe three to play two. Either way, he has every opportunity to get up to speed.

What hurts is that we need someone now to help out. Push the depth chart a bit, anyway.

I refuse to accept that any single recruit makes or breaks a class. it must be sad to be a fan and have one recruit make or break your fandom.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pig in the Pokey

we only need 1 NT tho, well sure depth, but 1 starter- that's jackson. i think between just Capps, Agim, and Guidry there will be 2 starters @ DE. Those 3-4 DEs need to be 290+. Me real hope is Agim moves to OLB and plays @ around 280. ;D
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 16, 2016, 12:49:34 am
we only need 1 NT tho, well sure depth, but 1 starter- that's jackson. i think between just Capps, Agim, and Guidry there will be 2 starters @ DE. Those 3-4 DEs need to be 290+. Me real hope is Agim moves to OLB and plays @ around 280. ;D

You're gonna need more than 1 reliable NT.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 15, 2016, 09:28:58 pm
The reason the staff prioritized Edwards over Johnson is that Edwards would be here in January, and hopefully beat the learning curve that hits so many JUCO guys. Johnson coming in over the summer means he misses winter workouts and skull sessions (hoganese stuff) and spring drills. That is the difference. I thought Johnson had three to play three, maybe three to play two. Either way, he has every opportunity to get up to speed.

What hurts is that we need someone now to help out. Push the depth chart a bit, anyway.

I refuse to accept that any single recruit makes or breaks a class. it must be sad to be a fan and have one recruit make or break your fandom.

Actually, we don't know "the" reason the staff prioritized Edwards over Johnson by what appears to be a fairly significant margin.

It likely did have something to do with timing, as you said. It also likely had even more to do with what they saw as a more talented player who better fit what the scheme that they apparently are thinking of tinkering with this upcoming season.  Someone who could contribute right away, in their opinion.  They wouldn't have recruited him with the idea to redshirt him, unlike what you suggested in a thread on WH.  They likely saw what Florida, Ole Miss, Missouri, Colorado, etc.. saw.  So what we know is that the staff prioritized Edwards and missed.  We know the backup, at this time, appears to be Johnson.  It is fair to be disappointed in this. 

Not one single person, by the way, has claimed that whiffing on Edwards either breaks this class or their fandom.  That would be rather unreasonable. 

lefty08

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:22:49 am
It is a big loss.  The staff put a LOT of time into this young man and wanted him for a reason.  They swung and missed.  And the backup plan (Johnson) is clearly not the player Edwards is.  Times like this remind you that this staff just is not capable of recruiting at a consistently high level. Doesn't mean their terrible but there are no excuses to be made for this loss.

This isn't the only DT prospect the hogs are in play for, but for what it's worth, Melvin is ranked slightly ahead of Edwards according to rivals. Funny how a 3 star is a huge loss unless he signs with us, then he becomes a reach
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on December 18, 2016, 08:01:22 am
This isn't the only DT prospect the hogs are in play for, but for what it's worth, Melvin is ranked slightly ahead of Edwards according to rivals. Funny how a 3 star is a huge loss unless he signs with us, then he becomes a reach

Well, it's a loss when one guy is a mid-term, and the other has been told he will more than likely redshirt. As far as playing abilities, I'll leave that up to the coaching staff.

LJHOG

Quote from: moto625 on December 15, 2016, 09:16:06 am
I agree Agim is better at DE but if we stay in a 4-3 he will stay in the middle.
Only because we do a sorry job of recruiting.

jackflash

Didn't know this board was full of recruiting experts.  How many of you actually seen these kids play? Let them get to Arkansas before you judge them.

island hog

.    Don't get your " this staff sucks and can't recruit" sentiment.  How do you feel about Patton and Martin? 

island hog

Quote from: island hog on December 18, 2016, 11:16:55 am
.    Don't get your " this staff sucks and can't recruit" sentiment.  How do you feel about Patton and Martin?
. Wrong quote... This was in reference to The Boot's negative vibe

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: LJHOG on December 18, 2016, 08:16:29 am
Only because we do a sorry job of recruiting.

Asinine statement.

Recruiting is and ALWAYS will be determined by a small group of factors. This staff recruits better than  most at THIS university. Do they miss? Yep, but that in no way makes them poor.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

tophawg19

we also have Jordan Wright whom we are chasing as well as others who we don't know about. not every name is made public . I know that surprises some of you . The reason we may only sign 25 is that we can only have 85 on scholarship. and the coaches may not expect much movement on the roster
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: island hog on December 18, 2016, 11:19:25 am
. Wrong quote... This was in reference to The Boot's negative vibe
Hasn't everyone learned by now? Negative comments are the ONLY type of post Boot can make. It's against his very nature to actually think or feel optimism.

Hugo Bezdek

December 18, 2016, 03:28:18 pm #71 Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:39:57 pm by Hugo Bezdek
Quote from: tophawg19 on December 18, 2016, 12:11:26 pm
we also have Jordan Wright whom we are chasing as well as others who we don't know about. not every name is made public . I know that surprises some of you . The reason we may only sign 25 is that we can only have 85 on scholarship. and the coaches may not expect much movement on the roster

That 85 number seems to be hard for a lot of people to grasp. If you sign 25 a year it's because you've got high attrition. It's been argued that a program like Arkansas, without a lot of in state talent to draw from, needs to rely on blue-collar player development that wins with fourth and fifth year players. It's hard to do that if they're all leaving the program. Look at our OLine this year. We had no fifth year guys and one fourth-year Senior (Skipper). We had one third-year Junior (Ragnow) and a grad transfer. Imagine a line in 2017 with Skipper, Kirkland and a healthy Koehler as fifth year Seniors and Ragnow and Wallace as fourth year Juniors. High attrition is not in our favor, so being unable to offer 25 a year should be a good thing.

tophawg19

a upper class line is something we have to get to in order to really win

Bubba's Bruisers

Is Johnson a 3 to play 2 guy?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 18, 2016, 12:11:26 pm

Where do we stand with Wright?  I assume he's scheduled an OV.

tophawg19

i think they could get him with an all out push but that is a guess . also it depends on other offers

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2016, 04:29:36 pm

Yes, Johnson is a 3 to play 2 guy. They wanted the mid-term option, though, that is obvious from listening to CBB and the coordinators talk last week.

Honestly, short of us having another option lurking that they like better I am surprised Johnson has not committed.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2016, 04:30:27 pm
Where do we stand with Wright?  I assume he's scheduled an OV.

Wright visited the first weekend in December. We went from leading, by some metrics, to nary a peep. He is thought to be a Kentucky lean, although the likelihood he winds up at Miami is large...just waiting on a Miami offer. Thus, he'll have the offer until another DE with an offer steps up and commits (Turner?).

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 18, 2016, 07:46:49 pm
Yes, Johnson is a 3 to play 2 guy. They wanted the mid-term option, though, that is obvious from listening to CBB and the coordinators talk last week.

Honestly, short of us having another option lurking that they like better I am surprised Johnson has not committed.

Maybe we aren't committed to Johnson.

Hollywood870

Well he was a Florida commit so...

Exit Pursued by a Boar

December 19, 2016, 08:03:31 am #80 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:08:09 am by exit followed by a boar
Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 18, 2016, 03:28:18 pm
That 85 number seems to be hard for a lot of people to grasp. If you sign 25 a year it's because you've got high attrition. It's been argued that a program like Arkansas, without a lot of in state talent to draw from, needs to rely on blue-collar player development that wins with fourth and fifth year players. It's hard to do that if they're all leaving the program. Look at our OLine this year. We had no fifth year guys and one fourth-year Senior (Skipper). We had one third-year Junior (Ragnow) and a grad transfer. Imagine a line in 2017 with Skipper, Kirkland and a healthy Koehler as fifth year Seniors and Ragnow and Wallace as fourth year Juniors. High attrition is not in our favor, so being unable to offer 25 a year should be a good thing.

Exactly.  MSU showed last year what having a bunch of seniors can do for a team. But that was a large senior class. I hope that CBB can work it that classes are evened out, especially in the trenches on both sides of the line.  I believe OL, especially, is one place where a bunch of fifth-year seniors who were lower rated out of high school can do some damage to opposing teams if developed well -- in terms of physical development, development of technique, and just in terms of maturity. CBB does a pretty good job of finding skill players, especially on the offensive side, that is where younger players can develop quickly.

EFBAB

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: island hog on December 18, 2016, 11:16:55 am

Go to the Patton and Martin threads to see how I feel about them.....Oh, and while you're at it, go pull up a quote of mine saying this staff sucks...I'll be waiting...

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 18, 2016, 03:08:29 pm
Hasn't everyone learned by now? Negative comments are the ONLY type of post Boot can make. It's against his very nature to actually think or feel optimism.

Nope, just call it like I see it.  When I like a signing, I say it.  When I don't, I say it.  This board could use a little more objectiveness...

RedyorNot

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 18, 2016, 03:28:18 pm
Well said.

lefty08

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 19, 2016, 09:31:56 am
Nope, just call it like I see it.  When I like a signing, I say it.  When I don't, I say it.  This board could use a little more objectiveness...

Ha, yeah, that's what we don't get enough of here. We could all use more syphilis and kidney stones while you're at it
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2016, 04:29:36 pm

Maybe this is a reason he hasn't committed (or been allowed to commit) yet...He's likely in need of a redshirt in order to contribute, unlike Edwards, but we need someone to contribute right away...who knows for sure though...

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: lefty08 on December 19, 2016, 09:33:33 am
Ha, yeah, that's what we don't get enough of here. We could all use more syphilis and kidney stones while you're at it

That seems to be a strange thing to wish for...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 19, 2016, 09:35:21 am
Maybe this is a reason he hasn't committed (or been allowed to commit) yet...He's likely in need of a redshirt in order to contribute, unlike Edwards, but we need someone to contribute right away...who knows for sure though...

Very possible.  It's why I wonder how committed we actually are to Johnson. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 19, 2016, 09:35:21 am

Good point. They have to weigh a true frosh redshirting vs a 3-to-play-2 guy...you get two extra years with the HS recruit.

Hollywood870

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 19, 2016, 09:35:55 am
That seems to be a strange thing to wish for...
I'll let someone else have my kindey stones, keeping with the Christmas spirit and all.