Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long not the problem... Yet

Started by HogTakes, November 05, 2017, 07:51:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogTakes

For all intents and purposes, Jeff Long has been an extremely successful AD at Arkansas. Just because they haven't worked out doesn't mean he hasn't made terrific hires at the same time other big-name programs have settled for less.

One thread credits Jeff with Pelphrey's hire and that isn't in the least bit true. Pelphrey was hire by Frank Broyles and Petrino was Jeff's first.

However, I say that to make this point: I believe the only coach Long actually fired that he has hired was Petrino. He had no reason to be loyal to Pelphrey and therefore wasn't. Since that time, coaches that haven't worked out have resigned.

Jeff must fire Bret Bielema before December. Whether Arkansas wins the next three, drops all three or something in between, Jeff MUST make this fire and hire his last-chance head football coach. I agree with his statement that he should have improved his knowledge of football, created new relationships and given us a better chance at a homerun hire than he even had in 2012. It's time for that to play out.

atom hog

Quote from: HogTakes on November 05, 2017, 07:51:45 am
For all intents and purposes, Jeff Long has been an extremely successful AD at Arkansas. Just because they haven't worked out doesn't mean he hasn't made terrific hires at the same time other big-name programs have settled for less.

One thread credits Jeff with Pelphrey's hire and that isn't in the least bit true. Pelphrey was hire by Frank Broyles and Petrino was Jeff's first.

However, I say that to make this point: I believe the only coach Long actually fired that he has hired was Petrino. He had no reason to be loyal to Pelphrey and therefore wasn't. Since that time, coaches that haven't worked out have resigned.

Jeff must fire Bret Bielema before December. Whether Arkansas wins the next three, drops all three or something in between, Jeff MUST make this fire and hire his last-chance head football coach. I agree with his statement that he should have improved his knowledge of football, created new relationships and given us a better chance at a homerun hire than he even had in 2012. It's time for that to play out.
I didn't credit him with hiring Pelphrey. I did list him among the off-kilter hiring/firings under Jeff's tenure (in no particular order). Full disclosure: I updated my post to include hiring Jessica Dorrell.

And where did you find a statement by Jeff Long that he should have improved his knowledge of football and created new relationships to give us a better chance at a homerun hire then he even had in 2012.  Where is that statement, please.

Immediately about that statement, no matter where it came from.  The hiring of Bret Bielema has proven to be a terrible disaster.  But lets regress a bit.  If Jeff Long knew a football had two ends, he would have known hiring a HC whose scheme on offense was Power Football would not be successful.   Power football by a program like Arkansas whose history did not indicate that we could collect the supreme offensive and defensive lines necessary to operate a power running game successfully, against the SEC competition, was the first disaster and totally created by Jeff Long.  Him or anyone else still trying to float the total lie about that 2012 hiring of Bret Bielema being a homerun hire is horse hockey.

hog911

For some reason you believe JL's accomplishments couldn't or wouldn't have been done by another AD. Without looking it up on the internet can you name five other AD's in the country? I can't, but the entire college football world knows Jeff Long is Arkansas's AD. If you think he didn't already know about BP and the volleyball player you probably also believe Hillary is an upstanding honest person. Integrity "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness." I would also add integrity is not self serving!

Hoggle

Yes, Jeff Long most certainly IS the problem! 

He's had his chances. Tommy Bowden, Jim Grobe, John L Smith, Bret Beliema (who was NEVER a good hire), Jimmy Dykes (great guy but a TV commentator, not a women's B.B. coach), etc.  Just because he didn't get all the names on that list doesn't mean they weren't his picks. Mercifully, Bowden and Grobe weren't hired because Jeffy is as bad at selling as he is picking.  Beliema was Jonesing for the job as soon as Petrino was fired - sending Long love notes on what a great guy he was for firing Petrino.  Beliema got the job because Long is incompetent and fell back on the guy coming to him... for whatever stupid reason.

Jeff Long is a boob and giving him ANOTHER chance almost garauntees us another 5 years of frustration.

FIRE JEFF LONG!!!!!!!!

oldhog63

He has Long been the problem. At the time he should be stepping up he has disappeared. Long is not a leader and should be out the door right behind or in front of Bielema. Don't care which.

DeltaBoy

The Hell he is not , are you reading what I have he made nothing but horrible hires for the UA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

It is entirely Jeff Long's fault for the hire and more importantly, creating an atmosphere up there that lacks a sense of urgency.  Bert is not a self starter.  He has been allowed to get to this point because no real heat to win was placed in him years ago.  It is a little unfortunate for all really.   Bert's good qualities might have overridden his innate laziness had he felt more IMMEDIATE pressure to succeed in his early years.  As it was, instead of pressure he got affirmation and it is now to the point that it can't be fixed. 

All of this is ENTIRELY Jeff Long's fault.  It is a complete failure of leadership.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 08:27:42 am
It is entirely Jeff Long's fault for the hire and more importantly, creating an atmosphere up there that lacks a sense of urgency.  Bert is not a self starter.  He has been allowed to get to this point because no real heat to win was placed in him years ago.  It is a little unfortunate for all really.   Bert's good qualities might have overridden his innate laziness had he felt more IMMEDIATE pressure to succeed in his early years.  As it was, instead of pressure he got affirmation and it is now to the point that it can't be fixed. 

All of this is ENTIRELY Jeff Long's fault.  It is a complete failure of leadership.

This, I don't understand why we are still hanging onto a John white hire. White, the gift that keeps giving

oldhog63

Absolutely agree!

HoggyCat

Wrong. Petrino wasn't his hire. He was forced to hire him.

I believe HIS true first hire was tbe volleyball coach that old a player she's "lucky I don't punch you out of the gym".

And he was pretty much forced to fire Pelphrey by now board member and former hog basketball player Tommy Boyer. Had it not been for Boyer, he would've likely been here longer, even with the fan "boycott".

But let's hear some more about what makes Jeffi great.

How many AD jobs have came open the past couple of years??  And how many have hired someone NOT named Jeff Long??  If he's soooooo great, why aren't other institutions clambering over getting him?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Letsroll1200

I agree! Jeff is the right guy and has done a good job. However, if Bret is not replaced the Monday after the Hogs game against Missouri than Long must go.

Porkchop#1

Long has been the problem since the day he took over.  He has to go ASAP!

When this all plays out and it will, eventually, the average Joe will get to see the underlying problem we have at the University of Arkansas.  The folks above Jeff Long need to act and they won't to that timely.  We will be left to pick through the scraps of head coaches who desire to be hired and will likely still have the roadblock named Jeff Long in his overpaid position. 

playamade76

Not one of you know the process of hiring a coach and if you think coaches don't have their agents reaching out for jobs you have another thing coming. Both Petrino and Bielema were good hires they just didn't work out.

Hogs-n-Roses

Any AD who makes a statement that implies winning is not at the forefront(not a win at all costs program) as our team sucks again(forest gump) is not an SEC caliber leader. He should have been sending messages 3 years ago that those records and loses to the likes of Toledo were unacceptable and teams like Bama and Auburn hanging 110 points on us over a couple year period would not go over here. Instead we got the Big ten Illinois response. And from the fans and the Jeffies on here also. Our fanbase has lost its sack also. Its all been peachy and we're building it the right way.... :puke:If you hadn't seen where this was headed before this year then keep a donating n traveling n supporting this. And one last thing. Your going to support this Long guy to pick our next coach? BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Hogwild

In the ten years he has been here we have had 5 head coaches in our two main sports, basketball and football. 

We do not have a winning record in conference play in either sport since Jeff Long was hired.

hassettsportsman

I totally agree.  Long is singularly responsible for attendance being down in both venues.  Bielema clearly is lost.  As for MA, look at his staff...an old guy who falls asleep. No one wants to fire a guy who was Nolan's alter ego...it would look like some bs racist decision.  Jeff won't tackle that hard topic either!  Jeff is the problem!

elviscat

You guys keep coming with JL accomplishments name them. Hell, he got all the attention for firing Petrino and that's about it. He doesn't care about winning, it's all about his image. He is the worst AD in the SEC.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on November 05, 2017, 08:51:51 am
Long has been the problem since the day he took over.  He has to go ASAP!

Exactly.  He immediately proved that when he pursued career underachiever Tommy Bowden.  Then he topped that with the hire of a basketball coach whose Mizzou program couldn't compete beyond the middle of the Big 12.

longpig

Quote from: 12247 on November 05, 2017, 08:19:52 am
And where did you find a statement by Jeff Long that he should have improved his knowledge of football and created new relationships to give us a better chance at a homerun hire then he even had in 2012.  Where is that statement, please.

Immediately about that statement, no matter where it came from.  The hiring of Bret Bielema has proven to be a terrible disaster.  But lets regress a bit.  If Jeff Long knew a football had two ends, he would have known hiring a HC whose scheme on offense was Power Football would not be successful.   Power football by a program like Arkansas whose history did not indicate that we could collect the supreme offensive and defensive lines necessary to operate a power running game successfully, against the SEC competition, was the first disaster and totally created by Jeff Long.  Him or anyone else still trying to float the total lie about that 2012 hiring of Bret Bielema being a homerun hire is horse hockey.

Long might know a football has two ends.

Playing career
1978-81   Ohio Wesleyan University
Position(s)   Quarterback
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1982   Miami (OH) (GA)
1983-85   NC State (Administrative Assistant to HC)
1986   Duke (TE)
1987   Michigan (GA)
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 05, 2017, 08:49:43 am
I agree! Jeff is the right guy and has done a good job. However, if Bret is not replaced the Monday after the Hogs game against Missouri than Long must go.

Agree completely and am 99% sure Long told Bielema this was his last season weeks ago.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: elviscat on November 05, 2017, 09:40:00 am
You guys keep coming with JL accomplishments name them. Hell, he got all the attention for firing Petrino and that's about it. He doesn't care about winning, it's all about his image. He is the worst AD in the SEC.

Entering his ninth full year as Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics, Jeff Long has helped transform the University of Arkansas' Department of Intercollegiate Athletics into one of the most successful and mission driven programs in the country. Long, the 2015 SportsBusiness Journal (SBJ) and SportsBusiness Daily (SBD) Athletic Director of the Year, leads a program that encompasses 19 sports and more than 460 student-athletes.
Long has focused every aspect of the Razorback program on achieving the mission of developing student-athletes to their fullest potential through intercollegiate athletics.  In the process, he has also emerged as nationally respected leader within intercollegiate athletics and an influential voice on issues pertaining to student-athletes and their collegiate experience.
Long served as the inaugural College Football Playoff selection chairman for the 2014 and 2015 seasons and remains a member of the selection committee through 2017. He also currently serves as the athletics director representative on the Southeastern Conference's Executive Committee.
Even while representing his institution and the state in some of the most prestigious leadership positions in college sports, Long has guided the Razorback program to unprecedented success. In Long's tenure, Arkansas has captured 29 conference championships and advanced to 123 post-season competitions, including the school's first Bowl Championship Series appearance in football and national titles at the 2013 NCAA Men's Indoor  and the 2015 NCAA Women's Indoor Track and Field Championships and the 2016 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. In 2015-16, Arkansas finished among the top 30 in the Learfield Sports Directors Cup for the eighth time in nine years, including the top 25 for the seventh time in that span. In addition to the second women's national title in as many years, the Razorbacks completed a 2015-16 SEC triple crown in both men's and women's track and field winning all six team titles in cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field.
In the classroom, the Razorbacks continue to set new standards including posting a school record student-athlete grade point average of 3.25 in the fall 2015 semester. Arkansas led the conference in selections to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll, including a league high 40 football student-athletes. Razorback student-athletes finished the academic year with a 3.23 GPA in the spring semester marking the 13th consecutive term Razorback student-athletes posted a GPA exceeding 3.0. For the fourth consecutive year, Arkansas exceeded the national APR multi-year rate in all 19 sports. Graduation success rates continue to rise with an average of 100 current or former Razorback student-athletes graduating each year.
Student-athlete development has also been a priority. A $10.65 million gift from the family of former Razorback and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, the largest gift to athletics in more than two decades, transformed an already nationally recognized program into one that rivals any in the country. The Jerry and Gene Jones Family Student-Athlete Success Center is a 55,000 square foot facility dedicated to the development of more than 460 Razorback student-athletes.
Even before his appointment as the CFP Selection Committee's Chairman, Long's leadership and unwavering commitment to the student-athletes and maintaining integrity within intercollegiate athletics had not gone unnoticed. In 2013, Long was named as an Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year for the Football Bowl Subdivision. In 2012, Long was named a finalist for the SBJ/SBD Athletic Director of the Year. In the spring of 2012, the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation and longtime chairman Fred W. Smith made a combined gift of more than $1.25 million to the program in recognition of Long's leadership of Razorback Athletics.
A member of the Chancellor's Executive Committee, Long is helping to chart the course for the future of higher education at the University of Arkansas while integrating Razorback Athletics into the campus community. Arkansas is one of less than 25 institutions in the nation to have a financially self-sustaining athletics department. Razorback Athletics receives no state funding and does not collect a student fee. In fact, the department routinely gives millions of dollars each year to support other campus academic programs.
In each of the past six years, Razorback Athletics has transferred funds totaling more than $1 million to support the university's academic mission. For 2016-17, the department's total support of university and student programs and initiatives will include more than $3.325 million in direct funding of academic programs including financial support for Champions Hall, a new classroom and laboratory building, to serve the entire University of Arkansas student population.
Long was selected to replace legendary athletic director and former Razorback football coach Frank Broyles and even before he officially took the reins on Jan. 1, 2008, Arkansas announced that it would combine its previously independent men's and women's athletic programs. Long adeptly blended the athletic programs into one unified department and established a new administrative structure.
Under Long's leadership, the program has fortified its financial standing ensuring more support for the development of student-athletes. As economic indicators were beginning to point toward challenging economic times, Long signed Arkansas to a decade long deal with IMG College to form Razorback Sports Properties that guaranteed the Razorback program $73 million. Long also negotiated an extensive all sports apparel and footwear agreement with NIKE, Inc. for all 19 Razorback sports programs.
In 2010, Long moved to help meet the growing financial needs of fielding a nationally competitive all sports program. The athletic department launched the "Answer the Call" campaign through the Razorback Foundation which resulted in more than 2,600 new members and helped generate more than $6.5 million in additional support for Razorback student-athletes.
With an eye towards the future, Long commissioned a comprehensive plan to assess the future facility needs of the program. Unveiled in October 2011, the Razorback Athletic Facilities Master Plan provided a vision and the road map for $320 million of facility renovations and additions that will help all 19 Razorback sports remain competitive in the SEC and nationally over the next 30 years.
Projects already completed as part of the plan include the Fred W. Smith Football Center, the Fowler Family Baseball and Track Training Center, extensive renovations of the George Billingsley Tennis Center, John McDonnell Field (outdoor track and field), Razorback Field (soccer) and the Fred W. Smith and Mary B. Smith Golf Training Facility. In the fall of 2015, a Basketball Performance Center and the Jerry and Gene Jones Family Student-Athlete Success Center opened to Razorback student-athletes.
In June 2016, the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees approved a $160 million Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium Renovation and North End Zone Addition that will be completed in time for the 2018 football season. No university funds, state funds or student fees will be required to complete the project.
According to a recent economic impact study, Razorback Athletics will have an estimated economic impact of more than $1 billion in five years. The study estimated Razorback Athletics generates $162.7 million annually to the region's economy. In addition, recent athletic construction has generated another $110.9 million for the region.
A veteran administrator with a track record of the highest commitment to the concept of "student-athlete," Long has had more than two decades experience in athletic administration at the Division I level including at the University of Pittsburgh, University of Oklahoma, University of Michigan, Virginia Tech University, Eastern Kentucky University and Rice University. Long also understands the coach's perspective from time spent in coaching staff positions at Duke University, University of Michigan and North Carolina State University.
His experience as an athletic director and administrator in five of the six Bowl Championship Series conferences – the Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, Atlantic Coast and SEC – gives Long a uniquely informed perspective on intercollegiate athletics.
On the forefront of NCAA governance, Long has served on the NCAA Management Council, the NCAA's Sports Wagering Task Force and as a member of the Executive Committee of the Division I-A Athletic Directors' Association. Long served on the NCAA Championships/Sports Management Cabinet.
Prior to assuming his current roles at Arkansas, Long served for four years as the athletic director at the University of Pittsburgh. Long redefined Pitt athletics, most notably through the "Quest for Excellence" campaign that raised nearly $34 million to enhance the student-athlete experience. During his tenure, the program was selected No. 17 in the nation in the 2006 Sports Illustrated on Campus' All-Sport Rankings.
Before arriving at Pitt, Long was senior associate athletic director at Oklahoma for two and a half years overseeing external affairs for the Sooners. In addition, Long was the primary administrator for the Sooners' highly successful football and men's basketball programs, along with sport supervision of baseball, wrestling and both golf teams.
Long's first appointment as a director of athletics was at Eastern Kentucky where he served for two and a half years. Prior to Eastern, Long had a brief stay with Virginia Tech as an associate athletics director.
He began his career in college athletic administration at Michigan, hired by legendary coach and athletics director, the late Bo Schembechler. During his seasons with the Wolverines, Long was promoted through a series of posts to the position of associate athletics director.
A former two-sport athlete at Ohio Wesleyan, Long earned seven varsity letters for the Bishops in football and baseball before completing his degree in economics in 1982. He started his post-graduate career in athletics working on head coach Tom Reed's staff as a graduate assistant football coach at the cradle of coaches, Miami University of Ohio. Long earned his master's in education at Miami in 1983, moving on to football staff positions at Rice, Duke and N.C. State prior to joining Michigan.
An Ohio native from Kettering, Long is married to the former Fanny Gellrich of Ann Arbor, Mich. The Longs have two daughters, Stephanie and Christina. In spring 2016, Stephanie graduated Summa Cum Laude with two degrees from the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. She is currently enrolled in graduate school at the University of Arkansas.  Christina is a senior honors student at Fayetteville High School. She is also a contributing photographer for Razorback Athletics.