Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If season were to end Friday

Started by TebowHater, March 12, 2018, 06:03:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

If we were to lose in the first round, how would you judge this season? I am not saying we will lose. I hope we don't.

But for the sake of discussion, and in advance of any emotional resonance attached (which would be inherent after the fact), what say you? Success? Let down? As expected?

arkansas1994

Oliver

hawginbigd1

It would follow that IMO we underachieved during the season, so the season would be a failure, not a disaster. I don't think it will though I like our chances of winning 2. They do that and catch a little lightning in a bottle and this could be E8, and the regular season would be a footnote in history.

MikePiazza

Hogs were picked sixth by the media, finished in a tie for fourth.

Won 23 games before the dance. Made semifinals of league tournament. Made the NCAAs for the third time in four seasons.

It's not raising a banner but it's definitely meeting expectations. There's a lot to be said for comfortably getting in the dance in mid-February.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

TebowHater

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 12, 2018, 06:14:06 pm

Won 23 games before the dance. Made semifinals of league tournament. Made the NCAAs for the third time in four seasons.

It's not raising a banner but it's definitely meeting expectations. There's a lot to be said for comfortably getting in the dance in mid-February.

To be fair, we were the 6 seed in the SEC tournament. No team technically finished 6th in the SEC as a result of the tie, but we were the closest to it, as reflected by our seed. We were picked 6th and effectively finished 6th (rare the media gets it right!).

But, I fully agree 3 of 4 years in NCAAT is decent and hopefully the new standard. I do question the meeting expectations piece, though. Would no advancements past the round of 32 in 7 years be meeting expectations? I am not saying to fire Mike or that we can do better, but I do think when we hired him the expectations were higher than that.

mykidsdad

Quote from: TebowHater on March 12, 2018, 06:17:44 pm
To be fair, we were the 6 seed in the SEC tournament. No team technically finished 6th in the SEC as a result of the tie, but we were the closest to it, as reflected by our seed. We were picked 6th and effectively finished 6th (rare the media gets it right!).

But, I fully agree 3 of 4 years in NCAAT is decent and hopefully the new standard. I do question the meeting expectations piece, though. Would no advancements past the round of 32 in 7 years be meeting expectations? I am not saying to fire Mike or that we can do better, but I do think when we hired him the expectations were higher than that.

to be fair, that is not correct. we were seeded 6th for a tournament, but we finished 4th.

TebowHater

Quote from: mykidsdad on March 12, 2018, 06:24:01 pm
to be fair, that is not correct. we were seeded 6th for a tournament, but we finished 4th.

No one finished 6th. No preseason poll ever picks ties. That makes no sense.

We were a tie for 4th, I don't discount that. But we were basically picked exactly where we finished. There are 5 teams who can justifiably claim to have finished better than us, which is what the media picked.

sickboy

They exceeded my expectations slightly. I didn't think we'd land in the top four of the SEC and we'd be a bubble team and maybe be a 10-12 seed.

If they make the second round again, they'd have really surpassed my expectations. If they manage to make the Sweet 16, I'd say they smashed expectations.

Kevin

On par where cma will be most years
21-24 wins no titles   
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TebowHater

Quote from: sickboy on March 12, 2018, 06:41:08 pm
They exceeded my expectations slightly. I didn't think we'd land in the top four of the SEC and we'd be a bubble team and maybe be a 10-12 seed.

If they make the second round again, they'd have really surpassed my expectations. If they manage to make the Sweet 16, I'd say they smashed expectations.

Good post and was goal of thread. Thank you

So just to understand further, you expected the loss of Hannahs/Kingsley to outweigh the growth of all the returners (esp Macon/Barford) + the addition of Gafford, so much so as to set us back from being an 8 seed all the way to being a bubble team unlikely to make it past the first round?

Boardon Hamsay

If the season ends Friday, I'd say it's par for the current course we're on.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

jst01

Decent year with no real measured success.

MikePiazza

Sweet 16 for the first time in 22 years is only thing that people can agree on as measured success.

An Elite Eight would be fantastic.

sickboy

Quote from: TebowHater on March 12, 2018, 06:48:32 pm
Good post and was goal of thread. Thank you

So just to understand further, you expected the loss of Hannahs/Kingsley to outweigh the growth of all the returners (esp Macon/Barford) + the addition of Gafford, so much so as to set us back from being an 8 seed all the way to being a bubble team unlikely to make it past the first round?

Yes. Sort of. I would phrase it this way. I expected the dynamic of the team to shift and I thought it might take half a season for them to gel and figure out how who they were. And I could see that having an effect on our win-loss in a negative capacity.

But three things happened that I think surprised me:

1. I didn't expect Barford and Macon to be as good as they've been. I saw the potential, but I wasn't sure how they'd respond to being the leaders of the team. I was hopeful, based on last season, but they exceeded my expectations in offensive production. If you would have told me that Barford would have gone from a 11-12 pig guy to 18ppg, I would have gasped with excitement.

2. I thought our non-conference schedule was going to trip us up. Looking at the schedule before and you saw PK80 tourney with Oklahoma and UNC and then throw in what I thought would be a really tough Minnesota team and Houston team that I thought would be tough... it just looked like a daunting schedule. Plus, the SEC was getting stronger and you could feel that by the end of last year.

3. Gafford far, far exceeded my expectations and, honestly, lived up to my hopes. Which rarely ever happens in any facet of life. He could have been the next Olu Famatini for all we knew. I wanted him to be the next Bobby Portis, but I never in a million years thought he'd be almost a lottery pick by the end of the year and I'd be wondering if he's the best player we've had since Joe Johnson.

So, my hope was that we'd make the second round. That would be a big step forward in my mind. To lose two big seniors and not take a step back. My mind told me we'd probably take a step back and be a bubble team.

rhames

I would think it was a little disappointing. Then I would go on about my day. Wouldn't call for blood.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

TebowHater

Quote from: sickboy on March 12, 2018, 07:05:13 pm
Yes. Sort of. I would phrase it this way. I expected the dynamic of the team to shift and I thought it might take half a season for them to gel and figure out how who they were. And I could see that having an effect on our win-loss in a negative capacity.

But three things happened that I think surprised me:

1. I didn't expect Barford and Macon to be as good as they've been. I saw the potential, but I wasn't sure how they'd respond to being the leaders of the team. I was hopeful, based on last season, but they exceeded my expectations in offensive production. If you would have told me that Barford would have gone from a 11-12 pig guy to 18ppg, I would have gasped with excitement.

2. I thought our non-conference schedule was going to trip us up. Looking at the schedule before and you saw PK80 tourney with Oklahoma and UNC and then throw in what I thought would be a really tough Minnesota team and Houston team that I thought would be tough... it just looked like a daunting schedule. Plus, the SEC was getting stronger and you could feel that by the end of last year.

3. Gafford far, far exceeded my expectations and, honestly, lived up to my hopes. Which rarely ever happens in any facet of life. He could have been the next Olu Famatini for all we knew. I wanted him to be the next Bobby Portis, but I never in a million years thought he'd be almost a lottery pick by the end of the year and I'd be wondering if he's the best player we've had since Joe Johnson.

So, my hope was that we'd make the second round. That would be a big step forward in my mind. To lose two big seniors and not take a step back. My mind told me we'd probably take a step back and be a bubble team.

+1 nice summary! Next year do you think we will we be above .500?

WorfHog

Disappointed, but not mad because the NCAA screwed us by sending us 15 hours away to play a 9 seed four hours from their campus.

Winnable 1st and 2nd round games, but an absolute screwjob by the "committee".

ballinhog

I wouldn't jump all my body weight onto the fire Mike train but I would definitely say they underachieved. I think Mike and the team would feel the same way.

We have the best 1-2 punch in the backcourt in the SEC and a first round draft pick at Center. Problem is the role players. They never had to be great. Just provide support. They can still make this season feel like it was a success, make it to the 2nd weekend and everyone should be happy

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

sickboy

Quote from: TebowHater on March 12, 2018, 07:15:04 pm
+1 nice summary! Next year do you think we will we be above .500?

Man. I honestly don't see it. Losing all these seniors, two of which account for what seems like 70 percent of our offense is going to be tough. If we lose Gafford too, I think we're going to take a massive hit. But i thought after Portis and Qualls left we'd take a huge offensive hit and then Kingsley and Hannahs picked up the slack and then some. Difference is we're now asking freshman to pick up that slack.

And that's really it. It all depends on this crew coming in. If Ethan Henderson and Keyshawn Embry are as advertised and Isiah Joe can score... it's possible. But with how loaded the SEC is right now... gonna be tough.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 12, 2018, 07:01:31 pm
Sweet 16 for the first time in 22 years is only thing that people can agree on as measured success.

An Elite Eight would be fantastic.

Anderson has got himself caught in a situation where there is no real break-even result.  A first round loss is serious underachievement and a 3rd consecutive 2nd round loss against a so-so opposition with this many upperclassman and one obvious NBA talent will be seen as he's starting to lose ground.  Sweet 16 will be hailed as progress enough to knock off the pressure next year.  Elite 8 will be judged as he's near the program's post-Nolan ceiling.

hawganatic

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 12, 2018, 06:14:06 pm

So you are saying the first day of practice when Mike Anderson walked into the meeting room and wrote season goals on the board, they consisted of winning 23 games, making it to the semifinals of league tournament, and getting booted in the first round of the NCAA??

With six seniors, two of the best guards in the conference, and a freshman that played his way into the first round of the draft, getting dropped in the first game of the tournament IS NOT meeting expectations...

hobhog

With a one and done center and 3 senior starting guards I'd say it was a mass underachievement. But our standards are pretty low these days so MA will have met expectations.

But since we lose a ton of scoring power this year and next year will most likely be down, it could be problematic if we don't dance and only have two postseason wins in eight years.

hawganatic

Quote from: sickboy on March 12, 2018, 06:41:08 pm

With a senior laden team like we had this season, I don't really understand how finishing 4th (6th depending on how you look at it) in conference is exceeding expectations.

This should have been the year to make a run at winning the conference.  Instead we stumbled coming out of the gate and didn't really get back into contention for winning.

razorpimp

Losing in the first round would be very slight underachieving with this team, it would honestly be the result of losing a few games that we should have won and getting beat at home by Kentucky. 

Losing 2nd round is par for the course, a good season.

Sweet 16 is a major success for CMA!  I think it could be a turning point for the program. 

I just think there isn't much room for error.

revolution

I feel the Hogs had the potential to be a little better in the regular season. Losing at MSU, twice to LSU and at Mizzou were the disappointments to me. Just winning one those games would have probably meant a double bye in the SEC tourney and a trip to the tournament final. Then we could have been set up with a higher seed and a reasonable shot at a Sweet 16.

We still have a shot, but it's a much longer one.  I think that if the Hogs lose Friday, the season will be a minor disappointment. But I still enjoyed the highs and will be hopeful for next year.

HogBreath

Quote from: razorpimp on March 12, 2018, 08:45:24 pm
Losing in the first round would be very slight underachieving with this team, it would honestly be the result of losing a few games that we should have won and getting beat at home by Kentucky. 

Losing 2nd round is par for the course, a good season.

Sweet 16 is a major success for CMA!  I think it could be a turning point for the program. 

I just think there isn't much room for error.
Very good points here, although a loss Friday would be disappointing, not sure it'd would make the season an underachievement.

I'm still pumped over beating Florida though.  Hate Florida.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HeyHogs

Breems

Underachieved by at least 2-3 games. Should've won or shared the SEC regular season title with this talent. Could've done so with the defensive surge we saw late in the season.

On the plus side, we were a lock for the NCAAT before the SECT and avoided the 8/9 seed. March matters again. I'm happy.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Sharky

Better than expected. No bubble status. Good record. Need more consistency, but CMA did well with this roster imo.

mckinneyhog5

Mediocre. Short of the sweet 16 that's how I'll view it. Make the sweet 16 and then elite 8 and I'll say above average.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

TheRazorback500

We won 1 less game than I predicted, so I guess the season to me was close to what I expected. We needed more from the 4 and CJ didn't develop like I expected. Maybe he can be our Anthlon Bell next year.

Losing Friday would P me off, but I realize we were dealt another crappy draw. Butler isn't one to be taken lightly.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

yraciv

Quote from: Oliver on March 12, 2018, 06:11:02 pm
As expected

This. Noone had this team as Top 32 coming into the year. Sometimes we look like it and sometimes we don't. A 7 seed says we look like it more than not, but anything can happen in 1 and done situation, especially against an opponent that appears to have been underseeded.

Letsroll1200

Good season. Enjoyed Macon, Barford and Gafford. Looking forward to the future. Excited about this group that is coming in.

MikePiazza

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 10:31:39 pm
Mediocre. Short of the sweet 16 that's how I'll view it. Make the sweet 16 and then elite 8 and I'll say above average.

So the only way you're not mediocre is if you make the Sweet 16?

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 12, 2018, 11:13:05 pm
So the only way you're not mediocre is if you make the Sweet 16?
Well, if you don't make it out of the first round I guess you could say we're somewhere around the 33-64 best team. If we make the sweet sixteen you could say somewhere between the 8th and 16th best team in the country. Which one to you says mediocre and which one is above average? To answer your question, yes we are mediocre if we can't make it to the sweet sixteen. IMHO we have an excellent shot to make the sweet 16. Do you not have confidence in this team and coach MA?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 11:22:38 pm
Well, if you don't make it out of the first round I guess you could say we're somewhere around the 33-64 best team. If we make the sweet sixteen you could say somewhere between the 8th and 16th best team in the country. Which one to you says mediocre and which one is above average? To answer your question, yes we are mediocre if we can't make it to the sweet sixteen.
mediocre is 64-32, good is 32-16 which is what we usually are these days, 16-8 is great
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 12, 2018, 11:25:20 pm
mediocre is 64-32, good is 32-16 which is what we usually are these days, 16-8 is great
That's what I'm saying, if we make the sweet 16 we are above average or as you put it, great.

razorback1829

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 11:28:22 pm
That's what I'm saying, if we make the sweet 16 we are above average or as you put it, great.

At average we should be a good team.

daprospecta

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 10:31:39 pm
Elite 8 and the season would be considered above average?

hoglady

NCAA tourney is about placement by the committee.
Butler is a pretty tough 1st round draw for our seeding - plus they send us 13+ hours from campus and Butler fans have an easy 4 hour drive.

Reaching the Sweet Sixteen always involves a little luck.

We deserved to be in the Sweet Sixteen last year, we earned it and had it taken away by a crew of refs kissing NC's behind. I don't even look at that game as a loss by Anderson.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hoglady on March 13, 2018, 12:14:38 am
NCAA tourney is about placement by the committee.
Butler is a pretty tough 1st round draw for our seeding - plus they send us 13+ hours from campus and Butler fans have an easy 4 hour drive.

Reaching the Sweet Sixteen always involves a little luck.

We deserved to be in the Sweet Sixteen last year, we earned it and had it taken away by a crew of refs kissing NC's behind. I don't even look at that game as a loss by Anderson.
You're right the tournament is just a waste of time and if we lose we shouldn't use that as a comparison to other teams that win and advance. Regular season victories is what counts.    /sarcasm/

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: daprospecta on March 12, 2018, 11:55:06 pm
Elite 8 and the season would be considered above average?

Really it's 2 games to make the sweet sixteen. Oh my, we have fallen...

Kevin

Just how low can the bar go.  Senior guards and nba talent at center, 4th place in the league and a first or second round lose is a good year

Fans just keep playing limbo with this program because of the coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Kevin on March 13, 2018, 07:06:23 am
Just how low can the bar go.  Senior guards and nba talent at center, 4th place in the league and a first or second round lose is a good year

sounds like the bar of getting higher to me, it was let's get In the tourney, so we are doing that now, now it's make the sweet sixteen, and let's see if we can get to that!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

blu

This season probably has been a little disappointing to Coach Anderson (as it has been to me). Last fall, he was very excited about the potential on the team.

We'll never know for sure, but the loss of Garland for the year may have changed our team from very good to just pretty good.

But we were definitely in the top half of a very strong and competitive conference and it was nice to be off the bubble.

Continued progress, and any success in the tourney is just going to keep the momentum going.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

rhames

We have seen how low the bar can go. This season isn't it lol.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hoglady

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 13, 2018, 12:23:51 am
You're right the tournament is just a waste of time and if we lose we shouldn't use that as a comparison to other teams that win and advance. Regular season victories is what counts.    /sarcasm/

I didn't say that.
After the loss to NC last year who were you mad at - the team, Coach A or the refs?

I just think you have to look at each game and make judgments from that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hobhog