Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another question

Started by Piggfoot, October 23, 2017, 10:11:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

What was the rule on the Auburn muffed punt that actually we recovered after it went throught the endzone?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

HuntsvilleHawgFan

The ruling on the field was the ball was out of the end zone before it was recovered, therefore a touchback.  I do not know why it was not reviewed, that is the puzzle to me.

hogmolar

At first I was assuming that is would be the same as a kickoff that goes through the back of the end zone, but since it was contacting by the player outside of the end zone it should have been considered a live ball that was fumbled out of the back of the end zone resulting in a safety correct?

Oklahawg

Yes! This needs further explanation. I suspect that most coaches don't know exactly how that was ruled. The refs certainly needed to "phone a friend." That seemed the perfect place for a review - even if to confirm the ruling on the field. Let the experts chat it up for a bit.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogmolar on October 23, 2017, 10:32:58 am
At first I was assuming that is would be the same as a kickoff that goes through the back of the end zone, but since it was contacting by the player outside of the end zone it should have been considered a live ball that was fumbled out of the back of the end zone resulting in a safety correct?

I thought it should have been a safety. Most around me thought so too.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Kevin

a muff punt is not considered a fumble.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

The key is what was the force the put it through the endzone. Since it was a muff, the force was still the kick since the receiving team never had possession. Same reason a muffed punt can be recovered by the kicking team but not advanced, it is a muff, not a fumble.

On the recovery, it was clear that the Razorback player touched out of bounds before gaining control, thus a touchback, not a safety. IT was reviewed, every play is reviewed, but the replay officials saw clear evidence, quickly, that the call on the field was correct, and therefore did not buzz down to tell them it was under further review.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PonderinHog

To me it looked like our guy had possession before he slid out of bounds.  Not sure how they came up with the ruling.  Was it not reviewed?

hogmolar

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 23, 2017, 10:34:37 am
I thought it should have been a safety. Most around me thought so too.
Okay here is a clarification, it was considered a live ball and had we recovered it would have been a TD.  If we had not touched the ball and it had went through the back of the end zone it would have been a safety, but we were the last team to touch it before it went out of the back of the end zone resulting in the call of a touch back.

31to6

Quote from: HuntsvilleHawgFan on October 23, 2017, 10:19:55 am
The ruling on the field was the ball was out of the end zone before it was recovered, therefore a touchback.  I do not know why it was not reviewed, that is the puzzle to me.
Nothing to review, really. Pretty obviously neither team ever had possession so the result is a dead ball with possession awarded to the receiving team at the 20. I disagreed at the game because I thought they had possession during the scrum and fumbled (from my perfect view through cardinal-tinted glasses from all the way across the field through the crowd (lol)!!) but while I could not stomach rewatching the entire game, I did rewatch this play and it wasn't even close to questionable.

https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-6-kicks/3/

31to6

Quote from: hogmolar on October 23, 2017, 10:39:12 am
Okay here is a clarification, it was considered a live ball and had we recovered it would have been a TD. If we had not touched the ball and it had went through the back of the end zone it would have been a safety, but we were the last team to touch it before it went out of the back of the end zone resulting in the call of a touch back.
No. It doesn't matter whether we touched it or not. Muff != possession. Only way that becomes a safety would be if AU got possession, then fumbled, and then it went out the back of EZ. [Edit: well, also a safety if AU recovers own fumble in EZ.]

hogsanity

Quote from: hogmolar on October 23, 2017, 10:39:12 am
If we had not touched the ball and it had went through the back of the end zone it would have been a safety,

WRONG
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhog63

Another question along the same lines. I think it was the 3rd quarter. Auburn punted and it hit the leg of one of our players (#9, i seem to remember) while he was blocking. Ball went sideways and Auburn player picked it up and handed it to the ref. I thought for sure it should have been Auburn's ball. Game was out of hand at that point anyway, so refs probably weren't too worried about piling on.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhog63 on October 23, 2017, 10:48:30 am
Another question along the same lines. I think it was the 3rd quarter. Auburn punted and it hit the leg of one of our players (#9, i seem to remember) while he was blocking. Ball went sideways and Auburn player picked it up and handed it to the ref. I thought for sure it should have been Auburn's ball. Game was out of hand at that point anyway, so refs probably weren't too worried about piling on.

If it is the same one I am thinking of, it hit the Aub player 1st, which made it Hog ball at that spot, regardless of what happened after that touching.

HoggyCat

Exactly what you said.  He muffed it, ball rolled out of end zone. I thought it was kick catch interference, but the ball bounced off his shoulder pad before our player hit him.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

pignparadise

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 10:38:04 am
The key is what was the force the put it through the endzone. Since it was a muff, the force was still the kick since the receiving team never had possession. Same reason a muffed punt can be recovered by the kicking team but not advanced, it is a muff, not a fumble.

On the recovery, it was clear that the Razorback player touched out of bounds before gaining control, thus a touchback, not a safety. IT was reviewed, every play is reviewed, but the replay officials saw clear evidence, quickly, that the call on the field was correct, and therefore did not buzz down to tell them it was under further review.
This is correct. The force determines it. To be a safety the receiving team must put a new directional force on the ball.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

oldhog63

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 10:50:02 am
If it is the same one I am thinking of, it hit the Aub player 1st, which made it Hog ball at that spot, regardless of what happened after that touching.
Ok, from where I was sitting, it looked like it hit the back of our players leg first.