Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: 'We're in year 5. I totally get it'

Started by gchamblee, June 25, 2017, 12:16:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Were-in-year-5-I-totally-get-it

"We changed dramatically what they were doing. We changed everything they'd recruited and believed in philosophically to something totally different," Bielema said, but he admitted, "but we're in year five. I totally get it. These are my guys, my players. We're ready to rock and roll. I think they understand what I'm saying the more I say it. It's a fun time to be in our program."

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 25, 2017, 12:16:36 am
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-Were-in-year-5-I-totally-get-it

“We changed dramatically what they were doing. We changed everything they’d recruited and believed in philosophically to something totally different,” Bielema said, but he admitted, “but we’re in year five. I totally get it. These are my guys, my players. We’re ready to rock and roll. I think they understand what I’m saying the more I say it. It’s a fun time to be in our program.”

Good for Bret. Even he realizes that the rebuilding excuses won't fly any more. I feel a really good year coming on for the Hogs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

nchogg

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on June 25, 2017, 07:40:54 am
Good for Bret. Even he realizes that the rebuilding excuses won't fly any more. I feel a really good year coming on for the Hogs.
Is it really an excuse if it is true?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 25, 2017, 08:03:42 am
Is it really an excuse if it is true?

Yes. It was a valid excuse the first 3 years but not any more.

LRrazorback

JIHawg

All Bret needs to do is figure out how to play the second half as good as we play the first half.  That's it.  Figure that out, and we're sailing to the moon and back.

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on June 25, 2017, 08:09:29 am
Yes. It was a valid excuse the first 3 years but not any more.
So it wasn't really an excuse the first three years?  If you cannot join a Black Panther party because you are white, is that an excuse or just reality?

I think we left at least two games on the field last year that there was no excuse we did not win.  There are no excuses going forward.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: JIHawg on June 25, 2017, 08:36:25 am
All Bret needs to do is figure out how to play the second half as good as we play the first half.  That's it.  Figure that out, and we're sailing to the moon and back.

Pretty much. Given Bielema's general philosophy, that has surprised me. When he was hired, I expected us to be a decent second half team. I keep wanting the issue to be depth, since that can eventually change, but there's really no way to tell for any of us.

hawgmasta

Quote from: JIHawg on June 25, 2017, 08:36:25 am

That's a great point and also kind of scary. That's usually when most coaches come up with a new game plan of what's working and what to attack. Does that mean that we don't do that well or at all? I don't know. I guess we'll continue to find out.

oldhawg

Summer - the time for speculation and fantasy.

Wonder what Razorback football would look like today if an "up and comer" Brett Bielema would have been hired instead of HDN?  The talent on hand at that time (following Danny Ford's upgrade in recruiting) may have fit Bielema's brand of football better than what he inherited five years ago.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: oldhawg on June 25, 2017, 09:24:18 am
Summer - the time for speculation and fantasy.

Wonder what Razorback football would look like today if an "up and comer" Brett Bielema would have been hired instead of HDN?  The talent on hand at that time (following Danny Ford's upgrade in recruiting) may have fit Bielema's brand of football better than what he inherited five years ago.

I don't see us hiring Iowa's linebacker coach only two years from being a grad assistant instead of HDN. It would have made for some epic Pigpen rants, though.

oldhawg

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on June 25, 2017, 09:34:46 am
I don't see us hiring Iowa's linebacker coach only two years from being a grad assistant instead of HDN. It would have made for some epic Pigpen rants, though.

Couldn't have been any worse (in a different way) than the trail that followed HDN.

But I get your point.  Frank Broyles, and then Jeff Long would not cast an eye towards anyone without a proven record as a head coach.  Only the John White "committee" would do that ---- and we see where that got us.  Just wondering if things could have been different.

bphi11ips

That is the kind of attitude you expect from a winner.  Attitude is everything in sports and life. Attitude is why Bielema succeeded as a player.  It's why he has succeeded in coaching.  It's why he advanced through the ranks.

Attitude starts when you wake up in the morning.  It determines what you do in your day and how you affect the people around you.  Great attitudes make great leaders.  Great leaders never, never, never give up.

I hate to lose. Hate hate hate it.  Hated losing football games or basketball games or baseball games when I played. Hate losing a $2 nassau.  Hate losing Monopoly.  But losing is part of competing. Losing gracefully is what winners learn to do. 

So many posters here focus too much on the record and too little on the process while discounting the level of competition.  I hated the way we lost the last two games as much as anyone here, but Missouri was a talented SEC football team playing at home.  Give them some credit.  Va Tech had an explosive offense behind a dual threat QB. They won the ACC Coastal division and made a hard second half run to lose 42-35 to Clemson in the ACC champioship game.  Does anyone think they were defeated in the locker room at halftime of the Belk Bowl in front of a partisan crowd? 

Time to stop whining about last year and follow CBB's lead and get excited about a new season with leaders like AA and Frank Ragnow and young talent like Devwah Whaley and Sosa Agim. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: hawgmasta on June 25, 2017, 09:22:51 am
That's a great point and also kind of scary. That's usually when most coaches come up with a new game plan of what's working and what to attack. Does that mean that we don't do that well or at all? I don't know. I guess we'll continue to find out.

When Cheney was here, the offense never produced in the second half. Cheney's offenses at Tennessee had never produced in the second half either. Enos has corrected that to a large extent. We came back and covered the defense's collapse at TCU. We've had last few play wins, there, against LaTech, at Ole Miss; Auburn in OT, we outscored Mississippi State, again to cover the defense. Against Missouri, we threatened and just couldn't get the ball across the goal. Virginia Tech was mostly from silly turnovers, which coaches can only do so much to stop. The last two years' second halves have generally been on the defense. Well, we have a new DC, and an entirely new base defense and philosophy, so if that doesn't do it, there's a limited number of extra options.

Al Boarland

Glad he gets it. Now let's see if he can get it done. The same challenges are still there whether he gets it or not.

HiggiePiggy

Just needs to stop the second half collapses that have happen way to much over the years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hogs run wild

coach speak to give the fans what they want to hear. i want to see it on the field.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on June 25, 2017, 09:41:52 am
When Cheney was here, the offense never produced in the second half. Cheney's offenses at Tennessee had never produced in the second half either. Enos has corrected that to a large extent. We came back and covered the defense's collapse at TCU. We've had last few play wins, there, against LaTech, at Ole Miss; Auburn in OT, we outscored Mississippi State, again to cover the defense. Against Missouri, we threatened and just couldn't get the ball across the goal. Virginia Tech was mostly from silly turnovers, which coaches can only do so much to stop. The last two years' second halves have generally been on the defense. Well, we have a new DC, and an entirely new base defense and philosophy, so if that doesn't do it, there's a limited number of extra options.

That's some good points, I do have a lot more confidence in Enid. The defense is such an unknown well just have to wait and see.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hogs run wild on June 25, 2017, 10:01:24 am
coach speak to give the fans what they want to hear. i want to see it on the field.

I think what he's say

Cinco de Hogo

Time to stop painting?

Really, what CBB thought he could do in the SEC didn't work and that's wear teams down.  Instead his big roadgrader linemen just ran out of gas while all those 4-5 star defensive players on the other teams were still fresh.  In the SEC you got to have a complete team.  This may be only the second year of his five(and the first one he inherited the player from Bobby) were it looks like he has the possibility of a defense. With a new coach and scheme it's going to be something to watch going into fall practice and beyond to the first few games.

Vantage 8 dude

Well golly, gee....don't we all? And by the way, I DON'T believe what Bret said is merely for "public consumption". I honestly believe he "gets it" and knows what is and isn't acceptable going forward. He will either have improved play and record(s) going forward or he won't. And IF he doesn't then unfortunately he will be replaced sooner or later.

daBoar

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 25, 2017, 09:39:35 am
That is the kind of attitude you expect from a winner.  Attitude is everything in sports and life. Attitude is why Bielema succeeded as a player.  It's why he has succeeded in coaching.  It's why he advanced through the ranks.

I never looked at it like that before.  We should be proud of CBB's accomplishments at Wisconsin.  "That's our coach"; he did it -- there".  Thank goodness for Wiskey's past success.

Today, was is just as good as is.  Ahh, freedom.

B501

well he sure talks the talk time to walk the walk  ::hornsdown::

Hogs run wild

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 25, 2017, 10:34:20 am
And IF he doesn't then unfortunately he will be replaced sooner or later.
like 10 years later with a golden parachute?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MuskogeeHogFan

That's a rather simplistic view of this. He really didn't say a lot. The thing that he said that is most revealing and what everyone should hone in on is that which is the same as the title of this thread, "We are in year five, I get it". He knows that it is time for this team to increase their number of wins and play every game like the team that they should be after his 4+ years at the helm. Let's not kid ourselves, he knows that this is a pivotal season for his future at Arkansas. That's most likely the reason for his acknowledgement to the fan's that, "he gets it".
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2017, 02:31:07 pm
That's a rather simplistic view of this. He really didn't say a lot. The thing that he said that is most revealing and what everyone should hone in on is that which is the same as the title of this thread, "We are in year five, I get it". He knows that it is time for this team to increase their number of wins and play every game like the team that they should be after his 4+ years at the helm. Let's not kid ourselves, he knows that this is a pivotal season for his future at Arkansas. That's most likely the reason for his acknowledgement to the fan's that, "he gets it".

That is what I took from it, but I knew this thread would be a hand grenade :)

GuvHog

GuvHog

Well said. There's no doubt that he senses the urgency of the situation and "gets it". I believe this just might be his best year at Arkansas thus far.

WilsonHog

I believe in track records, and I do not trust the short-term in anything. Were I Bret Bielema, when I interviewed for the job I would have outlined a five-year plan. The coming year is the one I would have pointed to with Jeff Long, and explained that it would take me until then to get it to the point that all of my recruits were in the program and player development began to really pay dividends.

I have no doubt he understands exactly where he is professionally at UA, and I have no doubt that is most important in his mind. He knows it's Year 5; he knows how we lost the last two games of the year; he knows his buy-out gets more and more manageable with each passing year; he knows his job security isn't indefinite.

Let's see what he does with it. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 25, 2017, 03:17:25 pm
I believe in track records, and I do not trust the short-term in anything. Were I Bret Bielema, when I interviewed for the job I would have outlined a five-year plan. The coming year is the one I would have pointed to with Jeff Long, and explained that it would take me until then to get it to the point that all of my recruits were in the program and player development began to really pay dividends.

I have no doubt he understands exactly where he is professionally at UA, and I have no doubt that is most important in his mind. He knows it's Year 5; he knows how we lost the last two games of the year; he knows his buy-out gets more and more manageable with each passing year; he knows his job security isn't indefinite.

I think that is exactly what occurred, don't you? The five year plan I mean. He has been given the time. I believe that he also admitted that he might have underestimated the level of the challenge in the SEC. He did it at Wisconsin, he figured it might not be this difficult in the SEC. I'd speculate that he expected to have more success on his resume in the SEC by now and a case could certainly be made that he left some wins on the field these past 3 years. On the high end we have had the chance to go 9, 10 and 10, but at least 8, 9 and 9 and had either of those scenarios occurred, I doubt that anyone would have a complaint at this point.

This is a key year for him in my opinion, even if he is here through 2018. Yes, I want to see what he is going to be able to do with the team this season.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 25, 2017, 03:17:25 pm

Ok, it's year 5. If he really gets it; he's built the foundation..........the foundation to be successful in year 5. Well, the Oline and the LB group were abysmal last year. Abysmal in year 4. Can they grow up fast enough for Year 5 to be "productive in the SEC"?  What's productive; I'd say at least 4 SEC wins.

Can he reach 4 SEC wins this year; it might be real tough given the losses at WR, TE, RB and LB, along with a change in defensive approach.  Frankly, I've seen nothing to think he really gets it (that is, his moniker is now the "2nd half loss king"); except he understands his job's on the line. On the other hand, I love that we have a 5th year senior at QB, I love the fact that our sophomore RB had a very nice introductory season last year.  I think Greenlaw has the it factor, and I think it's great that we have continuity at the OC position.  I believe the offense will be solid.  I believe the DL is solid.  I worry about the LB and DB groups, but I'm hopeful that the change in the defensive coaching will move the needle for the group, enough for us to move from 8th in SEC defense to 4th or 5th.  I'm still unclear about the "secret sauce" that a great HC has. I know Saban has it, but I don't understand it.  But, if all the above were to occur, around a solid offense, and CBB really gets what is necessary to win in the second half, the results for Y5 should be good.  WPS.

LRrazorback

Quote from: GuvHog on June 25, 2017, 02:58:31 pm
This is his 5th year so all of the players on the team are his recruits.

Ha, years 1-3 don't matter?  I think it was JFB who said a good coach can turn around a team in two years

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRrazorback on June 25, 2017, 04:44:36 pm
Ha, years 1-3 don't matter?  I think it was JFB who said a good coach can turn around a team in two years

You might have been able to do that in times past and depending on the situation and system that players have been involved in that you inherit these days, you might be able to do that now. But at Arkansas this was literally a 4 year rebuild as a minimum. Change in culture, change in discipline, change in offensive systems...major rebuild. Now if you are a pass-happy coach who inherits a run-first offense, especially at some place like Arkansas with recruiting limitations, it is easier to turn that program around more quickly, especially if you are a dynamite offensive coach. But if you are converting from that system to a pro style power type of offense, that requires longer to build. That said, Bielema is quickly running out of time.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: LRrazorback on June 25, 2017, 04:44:36 pm

That's true if the new HC inherits a team that ran a system similar to his. That wasn't the case with CBB. He inherited a team of players that were recruited to run a system the exact opposite of the one he runs. He was put in a bad situation and has tried to make the best of it.

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2017, 04:56:06 pm
That said, Bielema is quickly running out of time.
Right.  He's playing in the SEC West, not the Big 10 while Michigan and OSU were down.  That said, at Arkansas, I have not seen CBB add any value while the game is being played. I'd be happy, yet stunned, if he turns things around this season.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on June 25, 2017, 05:06:16 pm
Right.  He's playing in the SEC West, not the Big 10 while Michigan and OSU were down.  That said, at Arkansas, I have not seen CBB add any value while the game is being played. I'd be happy, yet stunned, if he turns things around this season.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 25, 2017, 03:28:28 pm
I believe that he also admitted that he might have underestimated the level of the challenge in the SEC. He did it at Wisconsin, he figured it might not be this difficult in the SEC. I'd speculate that he expected to have more success on his resume in the SEC by now and a case could certainly be made that he left some wins on the field these past 3 years. On the high end we have had the chance to go 9, 10 and 10, but at least 8, 9 and 9 and had either of those scenarios occurred, I doubt that anyone would have a complaint at this point.

This is a key year for him in my opinion, even if he is here through 2018. Yes, I want to see what he is going to be able to do with the team this season.

It's difficult to say with any degree of accuracy, how much in-game input he has had. I don't know, I don't think any of us can really say for sure unless we are on the headsets. But I do know that they come up with a game plan and he tends to try to allow the Coordinators to call and run their game plans, probably with minor changes due to his suggestions. He trusted Robb Smith and that trust went south after the Auburn game, but too far into the season to be able to make any appreciable changes. The proverbial "between a rock and a hard spot". I question all of that because I felt that Bielema should have seen that coming. Apparently he didn't. That's a lick on him.

This season he has to show demonstrative improvement in all facets of the game. We'll see what happens.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on June 25, 2017, 03:08:06 pm
Well said. There's no doubt that he senses the urgency of the situation and "gets it". I believe this just might be his best year at Arkansas thus far.

You can get it all day long, but if you don't have the players it doesn't really matter. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 25, 2017, 05:19:57 pm
You can get it all day long, but if you don't have the players it doesn't really matter. 

You don't know whether we do or not. Neither do I. All I know is what I have been told from those more closely connected. I think we have the players, they may lack experience, but I think that the players are there. We will see how they perform.
Go Hogs Go!

Mike_e

Quote from: daBoar on June 25, 2017, 03:53:12 pm
Ok, it's year 5. If he really gets it; he's built the foundation..........the foundation to be successful in year 5. Well, the Oline and the LB group were abysmal last year. Abysmal in year 4. Can they grow up fast enough for Year 5 to be "productive in the SEC"?  What's productive; I'd say at least 4 SEC wins.

Can he reach 4 SEC wins this year; it might be real tough given the losses at WR, TE, RB and LB, along with a change in defensive approach.  Frankly, I've seen nothing to think he really gets it (that is, his moniker is now the "2nd half loss king"); except he understands his job's on the line. On the other hand, I love that we have a 5th year senior at QB, I love the fact that our sophomore RB had a very nice introductory season last year.  I think Greenlaw has the it factor, and I think it's great that we have continuity at the OC position.  I believe the offense will be solid.  I believe the DL is solid.  I worry about the LB and DB groups, but I'm hopeful that the change in the defensive coaching will move the needle for the group, enough for us to move from 8th in SEC defense to 4th or 5th.  I'm still unclear about the "secret sauce" that a great HC has. I know Saban has it, but I don't understand it.  But, if all the above were to occur, around a solid offense, and CBB really gets what is necessary to win in the second half, the results for Y5 should be good.  WPS.

Saban learned it from the Russian track team starter.

The guy with the starting pistol had it loaded with live rounds.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 25, 2017, 05:19:57 pm
Well as they say: "we'll see what will be". Succeed or not I do believe this is indeed a year where we need to see noticeable and definite progress on the field. Whether or not that proves to be the case is the real question and awaits late August/early September.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 25, 2017, 10:34:20 am
Well golly, gee....don't we all? And by the way, I DON'T believe what Bret said is merely for "public consumption". I honestly believe he "gets it" and knows what is and isn't acceptable going forward. He will either have improved play and record(s) going forward or he won't. And IF he doesn't then unfortunately he will be replaced sooner or later.

This can't be true, can it?  There have to be more than just these 2 options...

PorkSoda

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 25, 2017, 08:09:48 pm
This can't be true, can it?  There have to be more than just these 2 options...
well is possible that we have improved play on the field but not an improved record depending on if other teams improve more than we do.

and vice versa, we could play worse but have a better record, if other teams play even worse than we do.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 25, 2017, 08:13:20 pm
well is possible that we have improved play on the field but not an improved record depending on if other teams improve more than we do.

and vice versa, we could play worse but have a better record, if other teams play even worse than we do.

Unless you prescribe to the great Bill Parcell's philosophy of "you are what your record says you are"

PorkSoda

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 25, 2017, 08:16:22 pm
Unless you prescribe to the great Bill Parcell's philosophy of "you are what your record says you are"
don't be spilling my koolaid
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gchamblee

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 25, 2017, 08:16:22 pm

subscribe

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: daBoar on June 25, 2017, 05:06:16 pm

I'd hardly say Michigan and Ohio State were down, especially the Buckeyes.

Anyway, how would that be Bielema's fault?