Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toughest Three Week Stretch of Games for 2017

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 23, 2017, 10:02:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Arkansas comes in at #10 in this ranking. Miss State comes in at #1 on the list and Vandy at #3.

10. Arkansas
Oct. 7 at South Carolina, Oct. 14 at Alabama, Oct. 21 vs. Auburn

The road in the SEC can get ugly, and the Hogs will spend just about all of October away from their home turf. Their three-game grind will start against what should be an improved South Carolina team on the road. The Gamecocks are always a tough out at home. Then comes another road trip to No. 2 Alabama and a home date with No. 10 Auburn. And just for good measure, it's back to the airport the very next week to face Ole Miss in Oxford.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19697676/mississippi-state-bulldogs-penn-state-nittany-lions-toughest-three-week-stretches-2017-college-football
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

and if im not mistaken, ole miss the week after auburn
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 10:02:22 am
Arkansas comes in at #10 in this ranking. Miss State comes in at #1 on the list and Vandy at #3.

10. Arkansas
Oct. 7 at South Carolina, Oct. 14 at Alabama, Oct. 21 vs. Auburn

The road in the SEC can get ugly, and the Hogs will spend just about all of October away from their home turf. Their three-game grind will start against what should be an improved South Carolina team on the road. The Gamecocks are always a tough out at home. Then comes another road trip to No. 2 Alabama and a home date with No. 10 Auburn. And just for good measure, it's back to the airport the very next week to face Ole Miss in Oxford.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19697676/mississippi-state-bulldogs-penn-state-nittany-lions-toughest-three-week-stretches-2017-college-football
That's all I read. My mistake
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Sed76

Hope I'm wrong but could very well be looking at another Nutt like 0 for October.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sed76 on June 23, 2017, 12:14:42 pm
Hope I'm wrong but could very well be looking at another Nutt like 0 for October.

I doubt it. Maybe 2-2, possibly 3-1.

Saturday Oct. 7   at South Carolina Gamecocks
Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC   

Saturday Oct. 14   at Alabama
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL   

Saturday Oct. 21   Auburn Tigers
D.W.R. Razorback Stadium, Fayetteville, AR

Saturday Oct. 28   at Ole Miss Rebels
Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

This week, next week, and the following week.

Oh....games. My bad.

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 12:54:03 pm

lol, 0-4 is more likely than 3-1

I believe in the hogs, but that schedule is no slouch. 2-2 in october would make my day.  If we go 3-1 I'm changing my prediction to 10 wins
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 23, 2017, 01:54:55 pm
lol, 0-4 is more likely than 3-1

I believe in the hogs, but that schedule is no slouch. 2-2 in october would make my day.  If we go 3-1 I'm changing my prediction to 10 wins

I'll disagree. 0-4 is as likely as 4-0.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 02:12:36 pm
so which game is a lock to win?  cause I know one game is a lock to lose.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 23, 2017, 02:16:36 pm
so which game is a lock to win?  cause I know one game is a lock to lose.

I believe that we will beat both S. Carolina and Ole Miss, but at the very least 1 of the 2.
Go Hogs Go!

Buff

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 12:54:03 pm

After the last few years,  2-2 split over those 4 games would actually satisfy me.  I don't know much about South Carolina yet this year, and I'm safely assuming a win over Lol Miss.  Auburn will be a tough mental test after last year's game.  I expect 1-3, or 2-2 with a win over South Carolina.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

It isn't a part of a tough 3 game stretch, but we better be prepared to run the ball a great deal and very effectively against TCU. They return almost everyone (17 starters) but their biggest losses are both DE's and a DT...the D-Line where they lose almost 78% of their career starts up front. Both LB's return and all but one of their Secondary, their SS.

They return everyone on the O-Line except the RT. Kenny Hill returns at QB, they return all of their RB's that played last year, their starting TE and the majority of their starters at WR.

Even though this will be played in RRS I expect TCU to come in loaded for bear (or Hog, in this case). Could be another OT game.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

would you take 1-3 over 3-1 if that 1 was bama?

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 24, 2017, 09:11:04 pm
I agree. That would just piss me off if we did that. 

And didn't win the other games? Yeah, I get it. If you beat Alabama you should at least go 3-1 through that 4 game stretch.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2017, 09:19:30 pm
And didn't win the other games? Yeah, I get it. If you beat Alabama you should at least go 3-1 through that 4 game stretch.

Yes if we went 1-3 and only beat Alabama would piss me off.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GolfnHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2017, 07:13:20 pm
It isn't a part of a tough 3 game stretch, but we better be prepared to run the ball a great deal and very effectively against TCU. They return almost everyone (17 starters) but their biggest losses are both DE's and a DT...the D-Line where they lose almost 78% of their career starts up front. Both LB's return and all but one of their Secondary, their SS.

They return everyone on the O-Line except the RT. Kenny Hill returns at QB, they return all of their RB's that played last year, their starting TE and the majority of their starters at WR.

Even though this will be played in RRS I expect TCU to come in loaded for bear (or Hog, in this case). Could be another OT game.

Isn't Kenny Hill in about his 7th year of eligibility now?  :o
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

DLUXHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 02:12:36 pm

I love you, man.   And.... you can have my Bud Light....   seriously, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GolfnHog on June 26, 2017, 04:16:13 pm
Isn't Kenny Hill in about his 7th year of eligibility now?  :o

He's a Senior this coming season. I think TCU plays us closer than A&M will. I believe we put A&M away this year.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:21:37 pm
He's a Senior this coming season. I think TCU plays us closer than A&M will. I believe we put A&M away this year.

Like we have 58% of our history with them..... (that's 60% to you that round)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 26, 2017, 04:25:38 pm

Like we have 58% of our history with them..... (that's 60% to you that round)

Well, things have changed down there. While Texas has been floundering under Charlie, A&M has really improved their talent base. Sumlin has done a good job of that so I feel uncomfortable referencing our "history" with A&M when the variables have changed in their favor. But they lost a lot following last season and it may take them half the year to get up to speed. The problem for Sumlin is, he has a developed trend of fading in the last half of the season when he gets into the bulk of the SEC season. I think that we finally get them this year.
Go Hogs Go!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:32:02 pm
Well, things have changed down there. While Texas has been floundering under Charlie, A&M has really improved their talent base. Sumlin has done a good job of that so I feel uncomfortable referencing our "history" with A&M when the variables have changed in their favor. But they lost a lot following last season and it may take them half the year to get up to speed. The problem for Sumlin is, he has a developed trend of fading in the last half of the season when he gets into the bulk of the SEC season. I think that we finally get them this year.

I totally agree with your original post that I responded to....🤗

Hoggish1

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 27, 2017, 05:23:56 pm
I'm going with 3-1 during that stretch.

I believe that is a very good possibility since the Hogs get Auburn in DWRRS.

I also wouldn't be at all surprised if the Hogs are undefeated when they take the field to play Bama in Tuscaloosa.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

June 27, 2017, 05:46:41 pm #27 Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:56:31 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 27, 2017, 05:23:56 pm
I'm going with 3-1 during that stretch.

I think the only team that beats us in October will be Alabama. I think we win against Auburn in a close game, 31-28.

Of course if that happens, there will be those who say, "yeah, but we only beat them by 3 points, it easily could have gone the other way".
Go Hogs Go!

tampahog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 24, 2017, 07:13:20 pm

plus they return Turpin who almost single handedly beat us last year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tampahog on June 28, 2017, 08:59:33 am
plus they return Turpin who almost single handedly beat us last year.

Ehhh, not so sure about giving him that much credit. We happened to be his "banner game" last season. He only had 295 receiving yards last year and he gained 126 of those against us and no TD's. He averaged 24 yards per outting in every other game last year.
Go Hogs Go!

1highhog

Quote from: Buff on June 24, 2017, 01:24:59 pm
After the last few years,  2-2 split over those 4 games would actually satisfy me.  I don't know much about South Carolina yet this year, and I'm safely assuming a win over Lol Miss.  Auburn will be a tough mental test after last year's game.  I expect 1-3, or 2-2 with a win over South Carolina.

I'm here with you on this outlook.  I love my Hogs but I've come to temper my expectations as well, going 2-2 in these 4 games would satisfy me.

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 28, 2017, 09:09:11 am
Ehhh, not so sure about giving him that much credit. We happened to be his "banner game" last season. He only had 295 receiving yards last year and he gained 126 of those against us and no TD's. He averaged 24 yards per outting in every other game last year.

Agreed. I think their QB did more damage to the Hog Defense than Turpin did.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 02:23:27 pm
I believe that we will beat both S. Carolina and Ole Miss, but at the very least 1 of the 2.

Ole Miss is a dangerous team. They have a legit QB and still have offensive weapons. That's a game we need to win, but certainly could lose.

Pigsknuckles

That "road" will be like going up from Kyles Landing at night, in the rain, on a unicycle.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

tampahog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 28, 2017, 09:09:11 am
126 receiving yards plus 169 return yards for a total of 295 All purpose yards.  I'd say he gashed us pretty good.  Didn't realize the rest of his year was so lack luster so fair point on that.  Our D was in its share of highlight films for the wrong reason last year.  Hoping he was just a one hit wonder that night.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tampahog on June 28, 2017, 03:52:17 pm
126 receiving yards plus 169 return yards for a total of 295 All purpose yards.  I'd say he gashed us pretty good.  Didn't realize the rest of his year was so lack luster so fair point on that.  Our D was in its share of highlight films for the wrong reason last year.  Hoping he was just a one hit wonder that night.

While we tend to talk about offense and defense a lot around here you bring up a good point. Great special teams play is vital to the success of any team. Yeah, if you have a bunch of 4 and 5 star true freshmen that you can slide into ST's along with better athletes with a little more experience you can have great ST's. But you can have better than average ST's even if you don't have a bunch of 4 and 5 star athletes to man those teams. It requires dedicated and perfect practice from a group of kids that have it drilled into them to take pride in what they are doing, letting them know what an integral part of the game plan that they are and how they can often times, be the difference in winning or losing. This is an area where I would love to see us lead the SEC every year in every category.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 28, 2017, 12:09:42 pm
Ole Miss is a dangerous team. They have a legit QB and still have offensive weapons. That's a game we need to win, but certainly could lose.

The Ole Miss program is in shambles and in the middle of an NCAA investigation so I don't see them as a dangerous team.

LRHawg

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 28, 2017, 01:00:38 pm
That "road" will be like going up from Kyles Landing at night, in the rain, on a unicycle.

Now that's bad!

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on June 28, 2017, 07:54:00 pm
The Ole Miss program is in shambles and in the middle of an NCAA investigation so I don't see them as a dangerous team.

I disagree. There are players there that still want to win games. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2017, 05:43:47 am

But....... it takes 22+....   even the mistakes of 1 can cost it all....

rhames

June 29, 2017, 01:03:16 pm #40 Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:17:08 pm by rhames
Quote from: GuvHog on June 28, 2017, 07:54:00 pm

Everyone will lose their mind when they beat arkansas.

Ole miss isn't a team to sleep on this year. They may be "in shambles " but the game is at their place and I'm sure we've left a bad taste im their mouths after the past 3 years.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Al Boarland

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 29, 2017, 12:59:03 pm
But....... it takes 22+....   even the mistakes of 1 can cost it all....

All I'm saying is it's foolish to write them off when they have talent. Freeze is a good motivator. They play hard for him. They could mail it in, but you need to see it happen before you throw up a automatic W.

I understand why some are doing it. They are trying to scrape together enough wins for a decent season. Ole Miss is low hanging fruit.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2017, 05:43:47 am

Agreed, there are players at Ole Miss that want to win but that program is in shambles.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on June 29, 2017, 01:03:16 pm

Everyone will lose their mind when they beat arkansas.

Ole miss isn't a team to sleep on this year. They may be "in shambles " but the game is at their place and I'm sure we've left a bad taste im their mouths after the past 3 years.

I still say the Hogs will win by 17 points or more.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2017, 01:29:43 pm
All I'm saying is it's foolish to write them off when they have talent. Freeze is a good motivator. They play hard for him. They could mail it in, but you need to see it happen before you throw up a automatic W.

I understand why some are doing it. They are trying to scrape together enough wins for a decent season. Ole Miss is low hanging fruit.

They lost a lot off of last years team and while they do have a decent QB, he's no world beater.

Mississippi State with Fitzgerald at QB is a much more dangerous team than Ole Miss.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on June 29, 2017, 03:31:34 pm
They lost a lot off of last years team and while they do have a decent QB, he's no world beater.

Mississippi State with Fitzgerald at QB is a much more dangerous team than Ole Miss.

The kid is legit. Agree on MS St. don't understand why anyone would throw up a W by that game either. Both are tossups.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2017, 03:46:49 pm
The kid is legit. Agree on MS St. don't understand why anyone would throw up a W by that game either. Both are tossups.

Probably the level of success that they will achieve this year will have a lot to do with how well their remaining 8 JC Transfers play. Believe it or not, they already lost the #1 DT from JC that they signed, which made the total 9 for this year. He transferred out this week to play his final two years at Jackson State, I believe.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 29, 2017, 01:29:43 pm

Ah Al, you are just a fan of that type of offense, just like you are more of a fan of Gus and his type of offense. As I recall, this has been the case since you came on this board. You tend to lean towards those teams that we play who utilize that type of a more wide open offense. I can understand why you often sound negative about the Arkansas program.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 29, 2017, 08:02:38 pm
Ah Al, you are just a fan of that type of offense, just like you are more of a fan of Gus and his type of offense. As I recall, this has been the case since you came on this board. You tend to lean towards those teams that we play who utilize that type of a more wide open offense. I can understand why you often sound negative about the Arkansas program.

I'm a fan of wins.

rljjr

Just don't understand the USC-East hype. Muschamp, who had all of the built-in advantages of Florida, couldn't get it done there. Why then would anyone believe he's going to take USC-E, who has less history, pedigree and advantages, back to a 10-win type of atmosphere? I get they play in the East and it's infinitely easier, but if we apply the same "he has to prove it first" rubric that ALWAYS is applied to Arkansas then I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the other three, I'll believe we beat Bama when we actually do it. At least we're typically reasonably competitive in that game. Auburn doesn't scare me, but Gus seems to get his guys up for that game. We get them at home and we're irritated about last year so that will be a good game. Ole Miss is our little sister now. They're still broken from the Henry Heave, and while they still have good players, we've beaten their best teams in the last 50 years (FIFTY!!!) so I'm not afraid of that competition. 

I would hope 2-2 is the worst case scenario.