Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only 4 active head coaches have won a national title

Started by NuttinItUp, June 08, 2017, 01:37:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

June 08, 2017, 01:37:23 pm Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:27:37 pm by NuttinItUp
With Bob Stoops out (and Les Miles out at the end of last season), there are only 4 active head coaches who have won a national title as head coach.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/6/8/15761772/four-active-coaches-national-title-bob-stoops-retirement

I hadn't realized that until I read it, and it is pretty amazing. It shows how hard it is to do.

Edit: Follow up question: If you had to choose 1 of the 4 to be Arkansas' coach, which would you take? (Yes, I know the obvious answer is Saban, but due to the fact that he is 66 and likely retiring in the next 3 or 4 years, I'd probably go with Dabo.)

311Hog

that is pretty stark.  As per the article 11 years ago the number was 14 down to 4 now.

GoHogs1091

Swinney had to win against all of the other 3 in the same season in order to get his.

It is a difficult accomplishment to win a National Championship.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: 311Hog on June 08, 2017, 01:56:31 pm
that is pretty stark.  As per the article 11 years ago the number was 14 down to 4 now.

Yes, that is amazing indeed. I wonder if it has gotten harder to do since then or what.

Also, if you follow the link to the source they quote from (USA Today article) for the 14 coaches in 2006, it lists Jimbo Fisher as one of the 14. If I am not mistaken, he won his in 2013, so why is he included in the list from 2006? (Unless I am missing something; someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

Someone double check me, though, because I have been wrong before. I don't want to send an email to the author or leave a comment on the story unless I know it is right.

(Relevant quote: "There were 14 active title-winning coaches in 2006. The full list includes: Brown, Carroll, Coker, Fisher, Tressel, Meyer, Stoops, Bobby Bowden, Phil Fumer, Lloyd Carr, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson, Joe Paterno and Bobby Ross.")

311Hog

i guess some of it could also be that the National Championship is now consolidated to a single one, through a single process.  Not sure if any of the 14 were getting "Poll" championships.

Definitely the haves and the have nots.

hawganatic

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 08, 2017, 01:37:23 pm

Edit: Follow up question: If you had to choose 1 of the 4 to be Arkansas' coach, which would you take? (Yes, I know the obvious answer is Saban, but due to the fact that he is 66 and likely retiring in the next 3 or 4 years, I'd probably go with Dabo.)

I'd take Dabo over the other three right now.  Not saying he is a better coach, but the other three are at schools that have consistently pulled in top 5 recruiting classes  Clemson's normal position is in the mid teen's in rankings.  Doing it with less talent than the others.

hawganatic

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 08, 2017, 02:19:17 pm
Yes, that is amazing indeed. I wonder if it has gotten harder to do since then or what.

Gene Chizik has a NC.  Don't necessarily have to be a good coach to win a championship...

Murr

This happens when you have a dynasty absorbing national titles every other year

hog of steele

Urban has shown he can win at different schools and levels. That is a pretty big thing. He also got a brain cloud or some such nonsense so he is likely to quit at any time.

gchamblee

Quote from: hog of steele on June 15, 2017, 02:56:50 pm
Urban has shown he can win at different schools and levels. That is a pretty big thing. He also got a brain cloud or some such nonsense so he is likely to quit at any time.

If you struggle at Florida or Ohio State, you seriously have chosen the wrong profession. That's like having a hard time being popular while in possession of the only cigarette lighter in a crack house.

hog of steele

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 02:58:22 pm
If you struggle at Florida or Ohio State, you seriously have chosen the wrong profession. That's like having a hard time being popular while in possession of the only cigarette lighter in a crack house.

sure. But not everybody wins at bowling green and utah.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog of steele on June 15, 2017, 03:10:51 pm
sure. But not everybody wins at bowling green and utah.

Actually Utah is a fairly decent job now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 15, 2017, 04:22:48 pm
Actually Utah is a fairly decent job now.

Is now.  Before Meyer showed up it wasn't a good job for awhile. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawganatic

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 02:58:22 pm
If you struggle at Florida or Ohio State

Spurrier and Meyer are the  only two coaches that have won at a high level at FL.  It's not as easy as you think.

oldfart

been a long time ago but when i was in grad school there florida athletics was a joke

hog of steele

Quote from: oldfart on June 15, 2017, 09:12:48 pm
been a long time ago but when i was in grad school there florida athletics was a joke

In your day, Did you find Hugo Bezdek to be a solid coach? He did make the hall of fame.

oldfart

i dont go back QUITE that far but was a frosh on Neylands last team

Quote from: oldfart on June 15, 2017, 09:22:05 pm
i dont go back QUITE that far but was a frosh on Neylands last team
You're an old fart.

oldfart

PonderinHog

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawganatic on June 15, 2017, 08:32:38 pm
Spurrier and Meyer are the  only two coaches that have won at a high level at FL.  It's not as easy as you think.

It is not easy to win at a high level anywhere. IF it was, there would be more than 4 active coaches with a NC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 16, 2017, 09:24:55 am
Never trust a fart.

Especially as you age. With those old ones you never know what you might get...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

oldfart

Inhogswetrust

You mean Bobby Petrino is not one of them? WOW. The way some on here post I would have thought he had multiple championships.....................................

Tyro3

Quote from: oldfart on June 16, 2017, 01:07:29 pm
at my age no fart is safe......
I have noticed as I age (77) my farts don't smell anymore, of course I can't smell flowers either.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 311Hog on June 08, 2017, 02:22:30 pm
i guess some of it could also be that the National Championship is now consolidated to a single one, through a single process.  Not sure if any of the 14 were getting "Poll" championships.

Definitely the haves and the have nots.
And this clearly points out that the "haves", at least when it comes to winning a NC, are truly few and far between. Also points out the incredible difficulty of achieving this distinction.

Unfortunately, MOST coaches would have a real problem breaking even against teams their size.  They show a winning record by bringing in the RENT A WINS and soaking those up.  Please define my statement as most coaches just do not have the ability or wish to give the effort to win more than they lose against teams of similar size, much less having the knowledge and will power to go win it all.

Winning it all has a measure of outhouse luck until you repeat it or come close to repeating it.  The really good coaches do repeat and their overall job is made easier by the majority of coaches they face totally not measuring up to them.  Sometimes a teams weakest link is its HC and his assembled staff.  I have often said Houston Nutt couldn't win an NC if you allowed him to pick his 25 recruits annually before anyone else was allowed to recruit for their team.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Tyro3 on June 16, 2017, 03:02:43 pm
I have noticed as I age (77) my farts don't smell anymore, of course I can't smell flowers either.
That in every way, shape, form and odor (or lack thereof) is WAY TMI!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 12247 on June 16, 2017, 06:54:53 pm
Unfortunately, MOST coaches would have a real problem breaking even against teams their size.  They show a winning record by bringing in the RENT A WINS and soaking those up.  Please define my statement as most coaches just do not have the ability or wish to give the effort to win more than they lose against teams of similar size, much less having the knowledge and will power to go win it all.

Winning it all has a measure of outhouse luck until you repeat it or come close to repeating it.  The really good coaches do repeat and their overall job is made easier by the majority of coaches they face totally not measuring up to them.  Sometimes a teams weakest link is its HC and his assembled staff.  I have often said Houston Nutt couldn't win an NC if you allowed him to pick his 25 recruits annually before anyone else was allowed to recruit for their team.
Well you most certainly speak the gospel when it come to your last statement. Felt the same for many years during the "Nutt House" era.