Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

H.S. Athlete Combine

Started by twistitup, May 20, 2017, 05:10:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Why isn't there an open combine for HS athletes and college coaches to attend....maybe it would help smaller school kids or those on bad teams to get noticed.

It would be free, not like a camp. State by state schedule on diff weekends...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

factchecker

Quote from: twistitup on May 20, 2017, 05:10:32 pm
Why isn't there an open combine for HS athletes and college coaches to attend....maybe it would help smaller school kids or those on bad teams to get noticed.

It would be free, not like a camp. State by state schedule on diff weekends...

Most satellite/prospect camps are cheap.  You've got to charge some kind of money to pay staff members, have medical supplies, turn on the lights, run water, have food, drinks, and t-shirts for the prospective student athletes.

https://twitter.com/NIU_Football/status/865648303244951553

http://niu.sidearmsports.com/sports/2016/9/8/camps-index-html.aspx

https://twitter.com/TSUFootball/status/861993155431985152

https://register.myonlinecamp.com/camp.cfm?sport=1&id=99321  ($40)

Prospect camp on campus http://www.razorbacksfootballcamps.com/summer-camps.cfm  ($40)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

For those who have linemen in their family-

The Razorbacks are conducting a o-line specific camp:

https://twitter.com/ArkansasFBcamps/status/856937737647267842

Trench Hogs OL / DL Camp
Dates: June 18th
Entering Grades: 9th - 12th
Check In: 10:00am - 11:00am
Camp Start: 11:00am
Conclusion: 5:00pm
Cost: $60, Includes Lunch & Camp T-Shirt

https://register.myonlinecamp.com/camp.cfm?sport=1&id=98308
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Im not talking about camps....I would like to see combine style drills- Similar to NFL style setup

Camps dont really have results - hard to measure. I like 40, bench, vert, shuttle etc...

factchecker

Quote from: twistitup on May 20, 2017, 06:10:29 pm
Im not talking about camps....I would like to see combine style drills- Similar to NFL style setup

Camps dont really have results - hard to measure. I like 40, bench, vert, shuttle etc...

Have you ever been to or taken someone to a prospect camp?

Plenty of these satellite and elite prospect camps are just what you described minus maybe the bench press.  They test 40's, shuttles, and run them through drills.

Regardless, you can't have those camps for free.  You need money just to cover insurance and medical expenses alone.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

If the combine was not connected to schools, couldnt it be sponsored by big business? This could cover extensies. Kids go online, register, and get a time slot...show up, show off, go home

factchecker

Quote from: twistitup on May 20, 2017, 06:59:15 pm
If the combine was not connected to schools, couldnt it be sponsored by big business?

Very good question.  I truly don't know the answer.

The NCAA finds ways to f good things up so even if a company was willing to sponsor a free combine I'm not sure if it would be ok.

I would guess there would have to be zero connections (boosters etc.) to the camp.

It would be cool if the AHSAA would organize a combine for outgoing seniors.  Have the event at WMS and make it as bare bones/ straight forward as possible.  Station to station testing.  Show up, check in, name, height, weight, run 40, shuttle drill, bench press, and then break out into recorded indo drills.  The film then could be uploaded to the player's HUDL.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Quote from: factchecker on May 20, 2017, 07:07:19 pm
Very good question.  I truly don't know the answer.

The NCAA finds ways to f good things up so even if a company was willing to sponsor a free combine I'm not sure if it would be ok.

I would guess there would have to be zero connections (boosters etc.) to the camp.

It would be cool if the AHSAA would organize a combine for outgoing seniors.  Have the event at WMS and make it as bare bones/ straight forward as possible.  Station to station testing.  Show up, check in, name, height, weight, run 40, shuttle drill, bench press, and then break out into recorded indo drills.  The film then could be uploaded to the player's HUDL.

Would be sweet. WMS would be good,  centralized location. Seniors only...good idea. The results could really help some kids who may have fallen through the cracks.

hawgfan4life

Arkansas has the FCA combine.  Most prospects will not be considered by a school unless the athlete attends a camp at the school.  That is simply how it works.  Scouts are interested in combine type measures but that is only a part of what they want to see in an athlete.  Having a combine where every kid in the state can attend would not interest college coaches.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgfan4life on May 20, 2017, 08:46:16 pm
Arkansas has the FCA combine.  Most prospects will not be considered by a school unless the athlete attends a camp at the school.  That is simply how it works.  Scouts are interested in combine type measures but that is only a part of what they want to see in an athlete.  Having a combine where every kid in the state can attend would not interest college coaches.

This.

Twistitup's concept is good, but sattelite camps, Rivals camps, etc., are beauty contests to avoid unless you're really pretty or really fast.  Too many kids and not enough time to tell anything about football skills. 

The only way to really evaluate recruits is to watch lots of film and measure, weigh and time them on campus. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bennyl08

Quote from: twistitup on May 20, 2017, 06:59:15 pm
If the combine was not connected to schools, couldnt it be sponsored by big business? This could cover extensies. Kids go online, register, and get a time slot...show up, show off, go home

Have you heard of the Sparq combine? Largely funded by Nike?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 20, 2017, 09:30:23 pm
This.

Twistitup's concept is good, but sattelite camps, Rivals camps, etc., are beauty contests to avoid unless you're really pretty or really fast.  Too many kids and not enough time to tell anything about football skills. 

The only way to really evaluate recruits is to watch lots of film and measure, weigh and time them on campus.

Think you missed "interviewing them".

First thing you have to determine, will the player physically be able to play at the college level? That is done by measuring, timing, guestimating from the tape.

2nd. question: Can they translate their physical talent to production on the football field? That's where tape really comes into play.

3rd question: Can they work hard enough to play at the collegiate level? This one is the hardest to answer. You can look at tape to see how well they did against other high level competition (if they played any) or see how they perform at camps against high level competition. This gives an idea of how much work the player needs to do. However, the #1 recruit in the country is going to struggle to play at the college level if they put in no effort. So, you have to figure out how much room the player has left to improve. How much effort they will put into improving, and how easily they take to coaching or if it is hard for them to learn new things.

Tape and combines and camps can get you the first two. They can provide a little bit of insight into the third, but not a whole lot. Question three is what really separates the best from the rest. Players and coaches. You can study film, call great players, analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the players physically without ever interacting with the actual player. However, presenting the information to them in a way they can learn, motivating them by learning the right combinations of buttons to press. That's the hard part of coaching. Similarly, plenty of people who are fast and strong. But you have to work hard to be successful. Raw talent alone doesn't get you very far.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

twistitup

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 20, 2017, 09:39:19 pm
Have you heard of the Sparq combine? Largely funded by Nike?

Exclusive concept, high dollar...invites only?

Im thinking all inclusive...the results would interest college coaches. Just another recruiting tool.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 20, 2017, 09:50:12 pm
Think you missed "interviewing them".

First thing you have to determine, will the player physically be able to play at the college level? That is done by measuring, timing, guestimating from the tape.

2nd. question: Can they translate their physical talent to production on the football field? That's where tape really comes into play.

3rd question: Can they work hard enough to play at the collegiate level? This one is the hardest to answer. You can look at tape to see how well they did against other high level competition (if they played any) or see how they perform at camps against high level competition. This gives an idea of how much work the player needs to do. However, the #1 recruit in the country is going to struggle to play at the college level if they put in no effort. So, you have to figure out how much room the player has left to improve. How much effort they will put into improving, and how easily they take to coaching or if it is hard for them to learn new things.

Tape and combines and camps can get you the first two. They can provide a little bit of insight into the third, but not a whole lot. Question three is what really separates the best from the rest. Players and coaches. You can study film, call great players, analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the players physically without ever interacting with the actual player. However, presenting the information to them in a way they can learn, motivating them by learning the right combinations of buttons to press. That's the hard part of coaching. Similarly, plenty of people who are fast and strong. But you have to work hard to be successful. Raw talent alone doesn't get you very far.

Actually, I had "interviewing them" in my post and deleted it.  But that's part of the evaluation also. 

I'm going through the process now with my son and have seen the process up close with guidance from some experienced people I trust.  It's been an eye opening experience to say the least.  But I'm sure you know more about it than anyone.

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 20, 2017, 10:01:41 pm
Actually, I had "interviewing them" in my post and deleted it.  But that's part of the evaluation also. 

I'm going through the process now with my son and have seen the process up close with guidance from some experienced people I trust.  It's been an eye opening experience to say the least.  But I'm sure you know more about it than anyone.

Me personally, no. However, I listen to and pay attention to information from those that have. Actual coaches who have talked about how they recruit and what they look for in a recruit. Recruits responding to questions about what coaches talk to them about, and what the recruits themselves look for. As individuals, we are limited in scope of what we can do in a single life. However, it isn't too difficult to open your eyes and compile what others have experienced.

It's easy to say a person in the forest has more right to talk about the forest than somebody outside of it. However, the person in the forest can only see a few trees and has no idea what is going in the part of the forest that they are not in. The person in the helicopter can't get the same level of detail, but that person can see the whole forest and get more of the big picture.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 20, 2017, 10:14:26 pm
Me personally, no. However, I listen to and pay attention to information from those that have. Actual coaches who have talked about how they recruit and what they look for in a recruit. Recruits responding to questions about what coaches talk to them about, and what the recruits themselves look for. As individuals, we are limited in scope of what we can do in a single life. However, it isn't too difficult to open your eyes and compile what others have experienced.

It's easy to say a person in the forest has more right to talk about the forest than somebody outside of it. However, the person in the forest can only see a few trees and has no idea what is going in the part of the forest that they are not in. The person in the helicopter can't get the same level of detail, but that person can see the whole forest and get more of the big picture.

Dang. Never thought of it that way. 

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 20, 2017, 10:14:26 pm

And some people are Forrest Gump......

hog of steele

There used to be an FCA combine. IDK if it was free but I know some folks who went had the connections to get you connected if you were a special athlete.

PonderinHog

hogginbama

The Army Recruiting Command sponsors a combine in conjunction with their All-American game in San Antonio.

http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/national-combine/

The Indianapolis Colts also sponsor one for Indiana high school players as well.

http://www.coltsprepspro.com/

I have been to the set up in San Antonio and they spare no expense bringing in the players, coaches, support staff, etc. When the first camp done by the Colts was conducted a good friend of mine worked it with the Army Recruiting Command and said it was top notch. Absolutely on par with the one ran every year for the college players going pro.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

twistitup

ricepig

twistitup

Got an idea...

Twisted Rice - Arkansas Sr. Combine

Sponsored by Riceland

jethro

Wonder why UCA isn't on that poster?
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on May 22, 2017, 12:27:55 pm
Got an idea...

Twisted Rice - Arkansas Sr. Combine

Sponsored by Riceland

Cool, how much money can you and I make off of it?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2017, 12:44:43 pm
Cool, how much money can you and I make off of it?

Not sure- depends on how much corporate money we could raise - it's all about financial backing.

Organizing and promotion pays well....execution is key

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on May 22, 2017, 01:25:05 pm
Not sure- depends on how much corporate money we could raise - it's all about financial backing.

Organizing and promotion pays well....execution is key
Maybe Marcus Monk can give you two some pointers...

moehog

"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

twistitup

Quote from: moehog on May 23, 2017, 10:56:45 am
http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2017/03/19/football-combine-coming-peabody/99396992/

I like it...don't understand why more states don't do it to highlight their athletes. It could be a fun, festive family type atmoshphere.