Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legit question regarding sport of basketball

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, April 18, 2017, 10:18:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

....Seriously, why are there SO MANY FREAKIN' TIME-OUTS IN BASKETBALL?!  I am specifically referring to the Time-Outs given to each coach each half, which seem INFINITE.....I understand that the incessant TV Timeouts are all about the $$$$$$$$$$, but with SOOOO MANY TV TIME-OUTS, why is each coach still given a billion time-outs each half?!! It is ridiculous and it makes the final few minutes of ANY close game INTERMINABLE and quite absurd.  In football, each coach is given 3 time-outs each half, that's IT..use 'em or lose 'em...and there is NO WAY basketball is anywhere near as complex as football.   I can't be the only guy who feels this way, can I?!   

Each coach should be given a total of 3 time-outs each half.  If that isn't enough then tough sh*t.  I swear, NOBODY "over-coaches" like basketball coaches...if u gave them 1,000 time outs a half, i swear most of them would use every single one of them. It is one of the things that really holds the sport back and makes it infinitely less enjoyable to watch.

ShadowHawg

Agreed.

I would rather see them lengthen halftime than watch all the media and coaches' timeouts.

East Clintwood

Each team only has 4 timeouts per game and only 3 of these may be used in the 2nd half.

All of the rest of them are TV (advertising) timeouts.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Supermark101

I'm 35 and I have been watching basketball for most of my life. it's literally been this way as long as I can remember. It's nothing new.

hogsanity

The timeout situation has not really changed for years, maybe decades ( actually recently coaches had one taken away ). What is delaying things more now is the video reviews of fouls, and of seemingly every out of bounds call in the last 2 minutes.

One thing I would like to see is that if a team calls a timeout within 1 minute of a tv timeout, then the tv timeout is not taken. I literally saw a team call a timeout at the 12:01 mark this year, the came back from the To, in bounded the ball, dribbled it off their foot, and then the tv timeout got called with 11:59 on the clock. 

Would also like to see the under 4:00 tv timeout eliminated in the 2nd half.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

What's interesting is how stedfast the networks are in taking the TV timeouts.
We know there is a TV timeout at 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00, at the first dead ball following those thresholds.
But often you see a coach take a timeout at say, 8:12, to stop an opponent's run. So they go to commercial.
When play resumes, let's say there is a dead ball at 7:58. Oops...time for the TV timeout. it doesn't matter that they literally just got back from a full timeout. They're going to take the TV timeout anyway. It's frustrating.

About as frustrating as NFL games where someone scores, they go to break, come back, have the kickoff, then go to break AGAIN. Makes you want to throw something at the TV.

HawgTrough

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 19, 2017, 10:02:00 am
We know there is a TV timeout at 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00, at the first dead ball following those thresholds.
But often you see a coach take a timeout at say, 8:12, to stop an opponent's run. So they go to commercial.
When play resumes, let's say there is a dead ball at 7:58. Oops...time for the TV timeout. it doesn't matter that they literally just got back from a full timeout. They're going to take the TV timeout anyway. It's frustrating.

About as frustrating as NFL games where someone scores, they go to break, come back, have the kickoff, then go to break AGAIN. Makes you want to throw something at the TV.

often, that 8:12 timeout is for a substitution. Get one of your starters an extended breather until after the 8:00 timeout. They catch their breath and get hydrated while missing minimal game time.
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 19, 2017, 10:02:00 am

Alot of it is because they sell those spots based specifically on it being in that tv break.

The NFL, I believe, is doing away with what you described, in an attempt to make the game flow better and cut down the time.  NFL wants games to fit in the 1pm-4:15 ET window and they are going to find ways to keep them from going long. If that means cutting tv timeouts, they will. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

The timeouts are irritating, especially when a coach calls one after a made basket that puts his team down 12 with 36 seconds remaining, but the incessant fouling by the team that is trailing is what makes games last so long.  I've been saying for years that something should be done about it.  Maybe on the second foul within the last two minutes or 90 seconds you give the team that is fouled the option of one free throw and the ball out of bounds. 

If you're tuning in to watch the Masters start at 2:00 p.m. and you see that CBS is showing Michigan vs. Michigan State, with Michigan down 9 with 1:52 remaining on the clock...be assured that you are going to miss quite a bit of the golf because that last 1:52 of clock time is going to take every bit of 15-20 minutes to play, maybe longer, because of all the fouls and timeouts.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2017, 11:00:09 am

Maybe on the second foul within the last two minutes or 90 seconds you give the team that is fouled the option of one free throw and the ball out of bounds. 

If you're tuning in to watch the Masters start at 2:00 p.m. and you see that CBS is showing Michigan vs. Michigan State,

Love that idea.

If you tune to watch the masters, and any college bball game is on, something has gone terribly wrong as the masters is always after college bball ends.

I get your point though. If you tune in for the 2nd game of a double header, and that set up is the lead in, youll miss at least 10 minutes of the 1st half of the 2nd game.

Hogginintheville

They really need to give games a 2.5 hour window instead of a 2 hour window. They are almost never done in 2 hours. If they are done early they can always go back to the studio or have more commercials.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogginintheville on April 19, 2017, 03:39:49 pm
They really need to give games a 2.5 hour window instead of a 2 hour window. They are almost never done in 2 hours. If they are done early they can always go back to the studio or have more commercials.

Not the same ad rates as in game. Also, on weeknights, a 7pm Et start, with a 2.5 hour window means a 9:30 Et start for the back end game, which means a midnight finish. Also means the game itself, if in the ET zone starts at 9:30 local or 8:30 if it is in the CT zone.

EastexHawg

On top of the time issue the constant fouling to try to force missed free throws or gain a 3 for 2 swap is ridiculous on the face of it.  Intentionally committing fouls, which are infractions of the rules/penalties, in order to gain an advantage shouldn't be allowed or rewarded. 

Besides, who wants to watch the ball inbounded, a foul committed within 1.3 seconds, and a dead ball as both teams parade to the free throw line...6 or 8 or 13 times.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2017, 04:12:52 pm
On top of the time issue the constant fouling to try to force missed free throws or gain a 3 for 2 swap is ridiculous on the face of it.  Intentionally committing fouls, which are infractions of the rules/penalties, in order to gain an advantage shouldn't be allowed or rewarded. 

Besides, who wants to watch the ball inbounded, a foul committed within 1.3 seconds, and a dead ball as both teams parade to the free throw line...6 or 8 or 13 times.

Agree 100%. It would be like in Football if the defense could jump off sides and force the offense to try a 40 yard Fg. Even if they make it, you get the ball with a chance to score 7 or 8.

ShadowHawg

Those of you who think extending the game with fouls as the problem are missing the timeouts used to set up the fouls is all I can figure. The fouls and free throws take very little time.

There is the potential for 10 timeouts in the second half of games. That's way too many.

Don't do the out of bounds garbage and it is garbage.

Reduce the coaches timeouts to 2 per half with one being a 30 second timeout. Would stop the dragging out of games at the end by a ton. Timeouts are the problem. Not free throws.

If you do the out of bounds thing all that happen is that timeouts will still be used to set up defenses and offense just like now.

And please don't go to quarters.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 19, 2017, 05:09:45 pm
Those of you who think extending the game with fouls as the problem are missing the timeouts used to set up the fouls is all I can figure. The fouls and free throws take very little time.

There is the potential for 10 timeouts in the second half of games. That's way too many.

Don't do the out of bounds garbage and it is garbage.

Reduce the coaches timeouts to 2 per half with one being a 30 second timeout. Would stop the dragging out of games at the end by a ton. Timeouts are the problem. Not free throws.

If you do the out of bounds thing all that happen is that timeouts will still be used to set up defenses and offense just like now.

And please don't go to quarters.

Really?  You don't think the team that is trailing committing a foul within two seconds of the ball being inbounded...and the clock stopping while the teams walk to the other end of the court and free throws are shot...is drawing out the ends of games?

The point of giving the option of one free throw and the ball out of bounds is that it wouldn't happen.  Teams wouldn't keep fouling over and over if they didn't get the ball back when they do it.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2017, 08:57:31 pm
Really?  You don't think the team that is trailing committing a foul within two seconds of the ball being inbounded...and the clock stopping while the teams walk to the other end of the court and free throws are shot...is drawing out the ends of games?

The point of giving the option of one free throw and the ball out of bounds is that it wouldn't happen.  Teams wouldn't keep fouling over and over if they didn't get the ball back when they do it.

It would because it stops the clock. That's real point of fouling.

It's the timeouts. Free throws don't last long enough for a commercial break. Timeouts do, and most of the time you will see at least 4 called down the last minute and a half of the game. Those timeouts will still be used in that same time frame. Out of bounds fixes nothing.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 19, 2017, 09:06:07 pm
It would because it stops the clock. That's real point of fouling.

It's the timeouts. Free throws don't last long enough for a commercial break. Timeouts do, and most of the time you will see at least 4 called down the last minute and a half of the game. Those timeouts will still be used in that same time frame. Out of bounds fixes nothing.

So a team runs out of time outs with 2 minutes left, and then proceeds to commit 8 fouls in the last two minutes, the 8 fouls is not drawing out the end of the game? Seriously? You actually think that?