Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highlights from Last Night's Exh Game

Started by Breems, November 06, 2015, 07:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Only 1 play from Whitt. :(

The one shot they showed did look pretty unorthodox. Just hope it's consistent.

Pulled(PP)pork

they changed the over the court display board

PP

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on November 06, 2015, 07:07:58 am

From midrange, it is very consistent. From 3, that is yet to be determined. From the drills I saw in practice, that answer is no.

HoopS

Seems like the three ball isn't his game anyway. But he can get into the lane and kick to a couple guys that it absolutely is their game. But one game in and against a weak opponent. We will see where we fall between what I predicted of 17-22 wins.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2015, 08:39:12 am
From midrange, it is very consistent. From 3, that is yet to be determined. From the drills I saw in practice, that answer is no.
People may complain but I liked the amount of 3's we took. The guys that were shooting them were guys that should be shooting them, and the ones that shouldn't weren't. No one was trying to do more than what they are capable of. They played well as a team and played within themselves which is good to see.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: azhog10 on November 06, 2015, 09:21:47 am
People may complain but I liked the amount of 3's we took. The guys that were shooting them were guys that should be shooting them, and the ones that shouldn't weren't. No one was trying to do more than what they are capable of. They played well as a team and played within themselves which is good to see.

^^^This! Might be the reason we exceed expectations this year.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 06, 2015, 09:26:26 am
^^^This! Might be the reason we exceed expectations this year.
If Miles and Whitt (possibly Beard if he gets back) are able to get into the lane and play their game. We won't be too bad offensively. Bell and Hannahs are guys you aren't going to be able to cheat off of and help to stop the drive, and Kingsley and Thompson seem to show average or above average athleticism for big guys. I think the biggest question mark will be consistency from night to night (guys playing within themselves will help this) and our defense. Hard to tell after last night where we are defensively and probably won't know for a couple more weeks. I expected to get home and see an 80 something to 60 something score. I was happy to see what I saw.

Cinco de Hogo

Looks like Kingsley is gonna have a bruise today.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Breems on November 06, 2015, 07:07:58 am

More of a scorer, vs. a shooter??

I love those guys.  Seems like they always score more than you remembered.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

I must say I really like what I'm seeing on those highlights: lots of sharing the ball, looking for the open man, the right guys spotting up at the 3, Hannahs looking like a player, the big men looking very active, Miles looking like a definite contributor.

Encouraging stuff, regardless of competition.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hog_Swanson

I thought they looked pretty good.  Go Hogs!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jjdlc

Quote from: Adam Stokes on November 06, 2015, 12:33:44 pm
Box score:

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2015-16/01.pdf

Dang, didn't realize Kouassi had 10 boards in 17 minutes.  Hopefully that is something he can repeat regularly.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on November 06, 2015, 01:09:06 pm
Dang, didn't realize Kouassi had 10 boards in 17 minutes.  Hopefully that is something he can repeat regularly.

I'm gonna get bashed for this, but I have a vision of playing Willie and Moses together, with Miles or Manny at the 3, to create the backbone of a really good defensive team.

I understand that requires our guards to really score the ball, but IMO I think those are our two strengths: inside defense/rebounding, and outside shooting/scoring.

jjdlc

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 01:29:30 pm
I'm gonna get bashed for this, but I have a vision of playing Willie and Moses together, with Miles or Manny at the 3, to create the backbone of a really good defensive team.

I understand that requires our guards to really score the ball, but IMO I think those are our two strengths: inside defense/rebounding, and outside shooting/scoring.

I could see that.  Could lead to some good outlet passes for easy buckets on the other end.  Can't be blowing easy layups like we seemed prone to do at times last year though.

hogsanity

Is that going to put enough offense on the floor though? In that lineup either Bell or Dusty is going to be on the bench, and either Whitt or Durham is going to be at the pg spot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2015, 01:41:06 pm
Is that going to put enough offense on the floor though? In that lineup either Bell or Dusty is going to be on the bench, and either Whitt or Durham is going to be at the pg spot.

I think you could run Whitt and Bell together, and let them share the ball handling, but I'd love to spread the floor with Bell and Hannahs out there together, but that would have either Durham running point, Bell running it (which I don't know if that's even a possibility), or let Manny run it from the 3.

IMO the defining key to this team is going to be Myles.  If he can be a consistent 12 ppg scorer or so, play great defense, then it takes some of the scoring pressure off the guards.

The_Iceman

Willie and Moses on the floor together will be a lot like Bobby and Moses. Won't happen unless it is a necessity.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2015, 01:49:03 pm
Willie and Moses on the floor together will be a lot like Bobby and Moses. Won't happen unless it is a necessity.
Agreed. Those two playing together will be sparse at best IMO. Don't really see an advantage in playing them together when neither is a true low post threat or scorer, that only clogs up the lane more and makes it more difficult for guys like Whitt to get in the paint and attack the basket.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2015, 01:49:03 pm

Do you not think this team is going to have to have a completely different approach that last year's?

Last year we could overwhelm with offensive firepower.  Doubt we'll have much of a chance to do that this year.

IMO the worse case scenario would be for Mike to try to play like they did last year, just with different guys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 02:09:11 pm
Do you not think this team is going to have to have a completely different approach that last year's?

Last year we could overwhelm with offensive firepower.  Doubt we'll have much of a chance to do that this year.

IMO the worse case scenario would be for Mike to try to play like they did last year, just with different guys. 

I watched those two practice together a lot Saturday in drills against Miles and Thompson. They just did not work well together. You need Miles or Thompson on the floor with one of those two simply because they are capable of passing it to the other. Kingsley and Willie are not good passers at all.

Breems

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 12:05:37 pm
More of a scorer, vs. a shooter??

I love those guys.  Seems like they always score more than you remembered.

I seriously hope so.

We can go without Whitt being a 3-point shooter given we already have a little outside shooting with Beard, Hannahs, and Bell. What we haven't had since BJ is a wing scorer that can drive to the hole and get buckets in the paint, from the stripe, or from mid-range. That's a more reliable source of scoring.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2015, 02:12:19 pm
I watched those two practice together a lot Saturday in drills against Miles and Thompson. They just did not work well together. You need Miles or Thompson on the floor with one of those two simply because they are capable of passing it to the other. Kingsley and Willie are not good passers at all.

Good information.

I've just struggled so much with our poor rebounding, just the thought of those two controlling the boards gets me interested, but I understand there are limitations involved with those two, especially Kouassi.

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on November 06, 2015, 02:23:06 pm
I seriously hope so.

We can go without Whitt being a 3-point shooter given we already have a little outside shooting with Beard, Hannahs, and Bell. What we haven't had since BJ is a wing scorer that can drive to the hole and get buckets in the paint, from the stripe, or from mid-range. That's a more reliable source of scoring.

That type of play also creates more opportunities for others to score to, much more so than a somewhat stationary shooter.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 03:23:03 pm
Good information.

I've just struggled so much with our poor rebounding, just the thought of those two controlling the boards gets me interested, but I understand there are limitations involved with those two, especially Kouassi.

I don't think there would me much drop off between Kouassi and Moses and Kouassi and Miles/Thompson in terms of rebounding.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2015, 03:30:15 pm
I don't think there would me much drop off between Kouassi and Moses and Kouassi and Miles/Thompson in terms of rebounding.

I guess, but I doubt just one of the three big guys on the floor at a time can control the defensive boards, and that's what I'm wanting.

If we're going to have a really good defense, IMO we must give up way less second chance buckets.

jjdlc

I could see situations where having two defensive bigs could be a great benefit.  However, foul situation will probably be the biggest limiting factor.

hawgfan4life

If Kouassi and Kingsley are on the court together, we may set a record for an opponent being in double bonus before the first TV break.  They will sub each other for defense, rebounding, and foul protection if last nights game is an indicator.  Thompson on the other hand, looks like he can play an all-around game down low.

We don't need our bigs to be dominant offensively but we do need a consistent 12-15 points from all of them combinded every night offensively and to help us win the battle of the glass every night.  If they can do that, we will win enough games to be an NIT team.  If our guards can shoot consistently outside, we can be an NCAA team.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawgfan4life on November 06, 2015, 05:58:39 pm
If Kouassi and Kingsley are on the court together, we may set a record for an opponent being in double bonus before the first TV break.  They will sub each other for defense, rebounding, and foul protection if last nights game is an indicator.  Thompson on the other hand, looks like he can play an all-around game down low.

We don't need our bigs to be dominant offensively but we do need a consistent 12-15 points from all of them combinded every night offensively and to help us win the battle of the glass every night.  If they can do that, we will win enough games to be an NIT team.  If our guards can shoot consistently outside, we can be an NCAA team.

Why couldn't Noses and Willie be coached to play good defense without fouling??

It can be done.  I've seen it with my own two eyes.  ;)

jjdlc

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 06:42:20 pm

Hey, let's keep our Noses out of it.

hawgmasta

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 06, 2015, 06:42:20 pm

On the road in the SEC it's a guaranteed foul even if it's legit defense lol

Danny J

I think we are going to be pretty good defensively in terms of opponents FG% but we all know how the games are called in the SEC.