Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In conference SOS comparison based on media predictions

Started by Atlhogfan1, November 03, 2015, 12:48:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Predicted Finish/Program/SOS Schedule "Points"

"Toughest" to "easiest" schedules based on media predictions factoring in how many times they play each opponent:

6th Florida 150 "pts"
13 Bama 148
12 Tenn  146
14 Mizzou  144
2   Vandy  135 
4   LSU  135
11 Hogs  135
10 AU  134
9  OM  131
8  MS St  130
1  UK  129
3  A&M  129
5  UGa  124
7  SC  120

Based on 14pts for playing UK and 1 pt for playing Mizzou.

Teams predicted to finish high and low will be affected more than ones in the middle.  UK and Mizzou can't play themselves.  It was a reason the Hogs in conference estimated RPI last season was what it was.  Couldn't play themselves and get that quality opponent.

Florida has to play 4 of the 5 teams predicted to finish ahead them twice.  They only play A&M once but have to play them on the road.  Florida also gets the predicted bottom 5 teams(AU, Hogs, Tenn, Bama and Mizzou) only once. 

In contrast, South Carolina only plays one of the predicted top 6 twice - #5 SEC UGa.  SC plays the predicted bottom 3 (Tenn, Bama and Mizzou) twice.   

UGa and OM only have to play the predicted top 4 once as well. 

The Hogs SEC schedule is middle of the pack based just on the preseason SEC prediction:
8 games vs the Top 6 (UK(home), V(home), A&M, LSU, UGa(road), Fl(road))   4 home and 4 road

10 games vs 7 thru 14:  5 home and 5 road

Again, contrast this with Fl who has to play 9 games against the predicted Top 5 with 5 on the road.

The SEC had a huge change last season in road teams winning more vs the previous few. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomBigBeeHog

Depending on how well the media has done their job in ranking the teams, this could be an objective measure of conference schedule difficulty.

Hope it holds true for Florida. I want to see them get their heads bashed in every time they play (here's looking at you Kevaughn).
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

lefty08

The media is usually horrible at this sort of thing, but it is the offseason
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Adam Stokes

Interesting analysis.  You can see that it seems slightly skewed towards the worse teams.  As from Mizzou's point of view, the sum of each other SEC team would total 104 (since they are worth only 1 point), whereas for Kentucky everyone would total 91 (since they are worth 14.)  But I guess that it how it ends up working with RPI SOS as well.

That just proves even more how tough the schedules are for Florida, Vandy, and LSU.