Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Men to hold second Open Practice Sat. 10-31 before the UT Martin FB Gam

Started by kevinagee, October 29, 2015, 08:53:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinagee

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/mens-basketball-to-hold-open-practice-saturday/

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas men's basketball head coach Mike Anderson has announced the Razorbacks will hold an open practice in Bud Walton Arena on Saturday, Oct. 31 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. prior to the football game against UT Martin.

Fans will have a chance to see the 2015-16 edition of the #Fastest40 minutes in college basketball as they continue preparation for the upcoming season. No additional parking will be available for the event, as normal football parking permits will apply. The only access to Bud Walton will be the South Doors off Leroy Pond Drive.

Following Saturday's open practice, Arkansas will host its annual Red-White Game on Sunday, Nov. 1. Doors will open at 4 p.m. for an autograph session, before a 5 p.m. tip-off in Bud Walton Arena.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2015, 10:37:51 am
Come in when tailgating to chant Malik Monk
if he hasn't made up his mind by now, and I appreciate the thought, but if he's staying home to play basketball in front of his family and real friends in Arkansas, all the cheers won't matter...if he wants to go up there and experience them booing Malik if and when he makes mistakes, and yes even Malik makes mistake and has off nights, well there's not much we can do about it....Calipari has never promoted a player he recruited from Arkansas...he threw Archie under the bus time after time after time a few years back
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The_Iceman

I was there for the whole practice. I would post a breakdown, but all that needs to be said is: We are BAD.

I was depressed just imagining what it would be like with Beard, Babb, Williams, and Kapita. I actually missed Jacorey, if that tells you something.

Ironhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2015, 07:21:39 pm
I was there for the whole practice. I would post a breakdown, but all that needs to be said is: We are BAD.

I was depressed just imagining what it would be like with Beard, Babb, Williams, and Kapita. I actually missed Jacorey, if that tells you something.

This is not the answer we were looking for from you.

HognitiveDissonance

Lots of hustle but lots of bricklaying at this practice.

Jimmy Whitt and Doobie Jenkins looked good to me. Jenkins has a nice outside shot.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 31, 2015, 09:04:49 pm
This is not the answer we were looking for from you.

Sorry. I was there looking for positives. But I just got to see more and more why this coaching staff has failed this program this offseason. Gonna be a terrible year folks.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 01, 2015, 01:44:22 am
Lots of hustle but lots of bricklaying at this practice.

Jimmy Whitt and Doobie Jenkins looked good to me. Jenkins has a nice outside shot.

How is Jenkins athletically though?

The_Iceman

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2015, 07:21:39 pm
all that needs to be said is: We are BAD.

Tell us a few of the things you saw that made it obvious that we are going to be BAD this season? Breakdown a few players too, if its not too much trouble. Details would be nice.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wheelspigharvey

Going to see for myself tonight.  Maybe they were having an off day?

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 01, 2015, 08:14:30 am
Tell us a few of the things you saw that made it obvious that we are going to be BAD this season? Breakdown a few players too, if its not too much trouble. Details would be nice.

That's what I was thinking, just saying they are bad doesn't help much.  Then you always have to take in mind it's one practice.  I saw Jabril Durham hit like his first 5 3's at last week's practice, but I don't think he's going to lead the SEC in 3P % because of what he did at one practice.

Hawg Red

I read one account that Kingsley struggling mightily to finish within 2 feet of the basket, which lines up with what we saw in actual games last season.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 01, 2015, 10:00:51 am
I read one account that Kingsley struggling mightily to finish within 2 feet of the basket, which lines up with what we saw in actual games last season.

When I watched Kingsley last week, he did alright in the post and was drawing fouls, which is what he needs to do.  Things I didn't like he was trying to be too much like Portis, he was trying to push the ball and handle on the break, and took too many mid-range shots. 

The_Iceman

Alright, now that I am on my laptop, I'll break down what I saw yesterday. First of all, the new scoreboard is massive and beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice for what it is like when you are in there. Malik, Marcus, and Daryl Macon were there. Malik and Daryl would shoot around in between scrimmage periods. TJ Cleveland was the coach that was talking with them the most. I've heard some more things yesterday about this staff and recruiting, but given the way the board has responded to my lasts posts, I'm not going to relay that info. On to the team:

Jimmy Whitt: by far the most overall talent on the floor. Has midrange skills and the ability to handle the ball and defend. I worry about his 3-point range. His shot doesn't look all that pretty, but it consistently falls. I'd put him at a solid 6'3" with long arms.

Jabril Durham: looks better than last year, but is a backup caliber guard. He is not a bad player, just not a difference maker. We really need Beard to find his way back to the team so Durham is not overexposed.

Anthlon Bell: Same player as last year. In warmups, I was surprised by the fact he is actually pretty athletic and could dunk with ease. But, he is who he is.

Dusty Hannahs: Has more skills than most realize. Good off the dribble and in the mid-range. In warmups, he rarely misses, but his average in the scrimmage time was much lower. I wish he was the next Pat Bradley, but I think he is closer to another Anthlon Bell.

Lorenzo Jenkins: Good length and size. Knocked down some threes and has a pretty lefty-stroke. Ball handling is serviceable. Athleticism average, but good enough.

Keaton Miles: Great athlete. Finished well. Takes way too many mid-range shots and doesn't knock them down enough. We would have been a better team if Jacorey would not have gotten himself kicked off the team.

Trey Thompson: I agree with -Blu that he has improved. Good mid-range shot. Doesn't dominate the boards like a guy his size should. Tends to shrink and dodge when challenged inside instead of powering through.

Moses Kingsley: Tries to be Portis 2.0. Took tons of mid-range shots. He does finish well and had a big time slam going baseline. He didn't make the impact defensively that I expected him to. He did not stand out on that end.

Willie Kouassi Big man. Solid 6'10", long, and athletic. Great defensively. Doesn't have great hands or down low skills outside of catch and dunk.

Listen, if I was comparing these guys to a bunch of mid-major schools, we'd be decent. But the SEC has added two Final Four coaches and a former NBA coach. We won 27 games last year and finished 2nd in the SEC, but our roster has taken this turn:

OUT: Portis, Qualls, Harris, Madden, Babb, Williams, Beard (suspended, may return), Kapita (signed, but didn't come).

IN: Whitt, Hannahs, Kouassi, Jenkins.

Boys, that isn't going to get it done. Not only did we lose 4 starters, we lost 3 returning guys that likely would have started or played significant minutes (Beard, Babb, Williams). We may get Beard back. We signed a 6'8" 230lb 4-star PF that would have brought talent, size, and athleticism, but he failed to make it to campus.

The roster just looks so weak out there, especially compared to the roster last year. This roster looks much more like a Pelphrey roster than a Mike Anderson roster. There just isn't enough talent on this roster to win anymore than 18 games, even with Beard's return. When last season ended, I was expected the roster to look something like this:

PG: Beard / Durham
G: Whitt / Babb / Watkins
G: Bell / Hannahs
F: Williams / Miles
C: Kingsley / Kapita or Thompson

As average as that roster looks, it looks so much better than the weak and undertalented roster I saw yesterday. It angers me that Mike Anderson in this 2015 offseason, following 27 wins and a 2nd place finish in the SEC, Mike brought in the LAST place recruiting class in the SEC and then ended up having some of his players get in legal trouble. Ultimately, Mike is responsible for the roster that is on the floor and its production. Once people see this pitiful team on the floor, 27 wins will feel as long ago as the 1994 team. This program deserves better than the effort and the result of the upcoming 2015-2016 season.

-Blu

Iceman,

Sounds like we seen about the same thing as far as what you seen each individual player doing.  I'm just eager to see them play against someone else, so we can really get an idea of where they are at.  At this point I would agree also that 18 wins is probably what to expect, we may over/under that by a a couple games, depending on whether Beard comes back and how fast Whitt can adjust to college basketball.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 01, 2015, 11:42:44 am
Alright, now that I am on my laptop, I'll break down what I saw yesterday. First of all, the new scoreboard is massive and beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice for what it is like when you are in there. Malik, Marcus, and Daryl Macon were there. Malik and Daryl would shoot around in between scrimmage periods. TJ Cleveland was the coach that was talking with them the most. I've heard some more things yesterday about this staff and recruiting, but given the way the board has responded to my lasts posts, I'm not going to relay that info. On to the team:

Jimmy Whitt: by far the most overall talent on the floor. Has midrange skills and the ability to handle the ball and defend. I worry about his 3-point range. His shot doesn't look all that pretty, but it consistently falls. I'd put him at a solid 6'3" with long arms.

Jabril Durham: looks better than last year, but is a backup caliber guard. He is not a bad player, just not a difference maker. We really need Beard to find his way back to the team so Durham is not overexposed.

Anthlon Bell: Same player as last year. In warmups, I was surprised by the fact he is actually pretty athletic and could dunk with ease. But, he is who he is.

Dusty Hannahs: Has more skills than most realize. Good off the dribble and in the mid-range. In warmups, he rarely misses, but his average in the scrimmage time was much lower. I wish he was the next Pat Bradley, but I think he is closer to another Anthlon Bell.

Lorenzo Jenkins: Good length and size. Knocked down some threes and has a pretty lefty-stroke. Ball handling is serviceable. Athleticism average, but good enough.

Keaton Miles: Great athlete. Finished well. Takes way too many mid-range shots and doesn't knock them down enough. We would have been a better team if Jacorey would not have gotten himself kicked off the team.

Trey Thompson: I agree with -Blu that he has improved. Good mid-range shot. Doesn't dominate the boards like a guy his size should. Tends to shrink and dodge when challenged inside instead of powering through.

Moses Kingsley: Tries to be Portis 2.0. Took tons of mid-range shots. He does finish well and had a big time slam going baseline. He didn't make the impact defensively that I expected him to. He did not stand out on that end.

Willie Kouassi Big man. Solid 6'10", long, and athletic. Great defensively. Doesn't have great hands or down low skills outside of catch and dunk.

Listen, if I was comparing these guys to a bunch of mid-major schools, we'd be decent. But the SEC has added two Final Four coaches and a former NBA coach. We won 27 games last year and finished 2nd in the SEC, but our roster has taken this turn:

OUT: Portis, Qualls, Harris, Madden, Babb, Williams, Beard (suspended, may return), Kapita (signed, but didn't come).

Boys, that isn't going to get it done. Not only did we lose 4 starters, we lost 3 returning guys that likely would have started or played significant minutes (Beard, Babb, Williams). We may get Beard back. We signed a 6'8" 230lb 4-star PF that would have brought talent, size, and athleticism, but he failed to make it to campus.

The roster just looks so weak out there, especially compared to the roster last year. This roster looks much more like a Pelphrey roster than a Mike Anderson roster. There just isn't enough talent on this roster to win anymore than 18 games, even with Beard's return. When last season ended, I was expected the roster to look something like this:

As average as that roster looks, it looks so much better than the weak and undertalented roster I saw yesterday. It angers me that Mike Anderson in this 2015 offseason, following 27 wins and a 2nd place finish in the SEC, Mike brought in the LAST place recruiting class in the SEC and then ended up having some of his players get in legal trouble. Ultimately, Mike is responsible for the roster that is on the floor and its production. Once people see this pitiful team on the floor, 27 wins will feel as long ago as the 1994 team. This program deserves better than the effort and the result of the upcoming 2015-2016 season.
Guessing you should duck now...
All Gas, No Brakes!

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on November 01, 2015, 11:55:11 am
Iceman,

Sounds like we seen about the same thing as far as what you seen each individual player doing.  I'm just eager to see them play against someone else, so we can really get an idea of where they are at.  At this point I would agree also that 18 wins is probably what to expect, we may over/under that by a a couple games, depending on whether Beard comes back and how fast Whitt can adjust to college basketball.

I read your report from last week, and have to agree that you were pretty close to what I saw. While players may be improved and better what people think, that doesn't mean this is going to be a good team at all. There were a lot of players trying to take the shots Qualls, Portis, and Madden took last year, but just don't have the talent to make them.

TomBigBeeHog

Thanks for the report. Hope we overachieve this year.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hogimus Prime

I'm guessing what you heard recruiting wise wasn't good.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 01, 2015, 12:01:27 pm
While players may be improved and better what people think, that doesn't mean this is going to be a good team at all. There were a lot of players trying to take the shots Qualls, Portis, and Madden took last year, but just don't have the talent to make them.

Might ought to stock up on the Maalox and Pepto Bismol.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Dr. Starcs

Iceman, can you pm the things you heard about recruiting. I've had my concerns too.

HawgAdvocate

Moses Kingsley: Tries to be Portis 2.0. Took tons of mid-range shots.

While players may be improved and better what people think, that doesn't mean this is going to be a good team at all. There were a lot of players trying to take the shots Qualls, Portis, and Madden took last year, but just don't have the talent to make them

Coach A on 10/5: "The same formula we have used in the past to win is still in place. We won't change....We have to be a tremendous defensive team. We've got to manufacture points."

Sounds about right. Emphasizing the same system over the actual tools on hand. Offensively, this season, woof.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 01, 2015, 12:52:29 pm
Coach A on 10/5: "The same formula we have used in the past to win is still in place. We won't change....We have to be a tremendous defensive team. We've got to manufacture points."

Sounds about right. Emphasizing the same system over the actual tools on hand. Offensively, this season, woof.

If this roster had Beard, Babb, Williams, and Kapita...I think this is a bubble team. That roster could do what Mike wants to do. This roster cannot succeed in any system, honestly. Just not enough talent.

WilsonHog

I do not expect to be playing any post-season basketball with this roster. If we end the season on the plus side of .500, it'll be an accomplishment.

Redbug

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 01, 2015, 02:30:04 pm
I do not expect to be playing any post-season basketball with this roster. If we end the season on the plus side of .500, it'll be an accomplishment.

cmiller01

Thanks for the report IceMan. I know you don't want to stir the pot but would you mind sharing what you heard in regards to recruiting?  I expected so much more from this staff for the amount of money we are paying them.

daprospecta

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 01, 2015, 03:19:07 pm
Thanks for the report IceMan. I know you don't want to stir the pot but would you mind sharing what you heard in regards to recruiting?  I expected so much more from this staff for the amount of money we are paying them.
Look at last years results and get back to me. Don't worry.........I'll wait.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 01, 2015, 03:19:07 pm

I'll simply say we are not up to speed on how to make recruits feel welcome, and I'm not talking about $$$ or Pitino stuff.

cmiller01

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 01, 2015, 04:11:33 pm
I'll simply say we are not up to speed on how to make recruits feel welcome, and I'm not talking about $$$ or Pitino stuff.

I guess the report of the sandwich platter from Harps actually has some legs.

We need to get these guys some steak!!!

GuvHog

For me, all that's necessary to know is out of 13 players, 9 of them are guards and that raises red flags all over tarnation.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogman99

It will be ok, we are only in year 5 of this staff. Just wait until this staff can get their own recruits. Go Mike Anderson!!!! Oh yeah go Hogs too.

cmiller01

Let's imagine this scenario...

Our team finishes below .500 this season and Mike fails to sign Monk.  Meanwhile in 2016, he fails to win more than 20 games and does not make it to the post-season.  Will this be the end for Mike or does Long keep him?

I know this is a lot of hypotheticals... just wondering everyones opinion because from the outside looking in , this is not out of the realm of possibility. 

Much of Mike's success the past two years can be attributed to Portis (who would have came here no matter the coach).  Arguably, the only two Anderson recruits to contribute at a high level have been Portis (see above) and Qualls.

jry04

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 01, 2015, 07:03:57 pm

Our team finishes below .500 this season and Mike fails to sign Monk.  Meanwhile in 2016, he fails to win more than 20 games and does not make it to the post-season.  Will this be the end for Mike or does Long keep him?

I know this is a lot of hypotheticals... just wondering everyones opinion because from the outside looking in , this is not out of the realm of possibility. 

Much of Mike's success the past two years can be attributed to Portis (who would have came here no matter the coach).  Arguably, the only two Anderson recruits to contribute at a high level have been Portis (see above) and Qualls.
Based on who we have committed now, and who we will have returning, I fail to see how we don't win 20 games next season. Unless Beard is kicked off for good, and some of the current guys re-open their recruitment.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

Quote from: poloprince on November 01, 2015, 07:21:42 pm
It appears they shot the ball better in the scrimmage  :razorback:

Red White games gas historically been high scoring. Kinda of like all star games.

wheelspigharvey

We will still be a tournament team at the very least even without Monk.  Portis and Qualls have not been Mike's only players.

WilsonHog

I don't believe Mike will ever be fired at UA. I also do not believe he wants any other job. I think his next move will be retirement.

cmiller01

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 01, 2015, 07:29:31 pm
We will still be a tournament team at the very least even without Monk.  Portis and Qualls have not been Mike's only players.

Not to be nasty but I challenge you to name 2 more that have contributed at a high level.

Big Nasty 34

hogman99

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 01, 2015, 08:37:46 pm
Not to be nasty but I challenge you to name 2 more that have contributed at a high level.

Well Kikko Haydar did get 13 minutes of action tonight. That would make him a 7th year SR, that has to be some type of record and should count for something.  :o

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: jjdlc on November 01, 2015, 08:51:43 pm
City Clarke

We need to get on his younger brother, Country Clarke. He is a bit unrefined but he has a lot of upside, from what I hear.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: jjdlc on November 01, 2015, 08:51:43 pm
Clarke

I'd say Clarke, Harris, and Madden were all excellent Hogs with solid overseas and maybe some league potential. Clarke is already on a roster and Madden got some looks.

jjdlc

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 01, 2015, 08:57:46 pm
We need to get on his younger brother, Country Clarke. He is a bit unrefined but he has a lot of upside, from what I hear.

Haha, stupid auto correct

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 01, 2015, 09:05:03 pm
I'd say Clarke, Harris, and Madden were all excellent Hogs with solid overseas and maybe some league potential. Clarke is already on a roster and Madden got some looks.

Uh... Most hog fans hated how many minutes Madden and Harris got. Always a lot more negatives than positives heard about them.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 01, 2015, 09:47:44 pm
Uh... Most hog fans hated how many minutes Madden and Harris got. Always a lot more negatives than positives heard about them.

Madden had a great junior season. He carried us quite often and shot well. He had a lesser role his senior year though.

Harris...for how we play, sadly, he was a square peg stuck in a round hole.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 01, 2015, 09:47:44 pm

Well they can feel that way but Madden had a very good career here, Harris had a pretty good year last year, and I'm pretty sure they're both getting paid.