Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson getting it done at Bud Walton!

Started by UNCLE BACK, October 27, 2015, 01:10:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLE BACK

Proud that I can take my kids to Bud Walton and see the Hogs win consistently!

TomBigBeeHog

Yeah, gotta love those percentages. I remember when a bunch of nobodies were coming in here and knocking us off at home. Not anymore. Thanks for cleaning that up CMA.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Only reason I haven't completely given up on next season

Dropkick

I think Mike just may surprise some folks this year.

TheRazorbackGuy

Beating Wofford is the biggest achievement of this staff and that wasn't at BWA...

Atlhogfan1

I'm still leaning to be a little more optimistic about this season than some including some of the media predictions.  BWA of course should help this.  It's likely for the 3rd straight season, we will play no non conference home games against a top 25 team.  Should provide for some success and chance for the team to gel and Mike to start figuring out his combos which he will probably settle on after SEC play begins if recent history is an indication. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 27, 2015, 01:35:37 pm
Beating Wofford is the biggest achievement of this staff and that wasn't at BWA...

Over beating National Champ runner up Kentucky at In Rupp?

Atlhogfan1

If only given two choices of NCAAT win over Wofford or win over a UK team at Rupp who was in a stretch of losing 3 of 4 and needed a 1pt OT win to keep it from being 4 of 5, I would go with the NCAAT win.

IMO, the biggest on court achievement so far was earning the 5 seed in the NCAAT to setup a matchup with a beatable team like Wofford.  This is what the season is all about.  Achieving what is necessary to earn as high of a seed as possible for your team's talent to give it the best chance possible of advancing in the NCAAT.  They won the games they should have last season and avoided the bad losses they had experienced in the past.  Job well done in getting to that 5 seed. 

To me, this is a bigger achievement than the home record including non conference home record.  We did have a short stretch pre-Mike where our BWA advantage had slipped (and NLR was a disaster) which has been turned around. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomBigBeeHog

Need to read the topic of the OP before posting. Already derailed by the time we get to the 5th post.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 27, 2015, 02:57:55 pm
Need to read the topic of the OP before posting. Already derailed by the time we get to the 5th post.
Yes, I saw that too...

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 27, 2015, 02:13:08 pm
Over beating National Champ runner up Kentucky at In Rupp?

That Kentucky team was an 8 or 9 seed that at the time they beat then wasn't even ranked. No one knew at the time that Kentucky team would go to the championship game

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 27, 2015, 04:28:40 pm
That Kentucky team was an 8 or 9 seed that at the time they beat then wasn't even ranked. No one knew at the time that Kentucky team would go to the championship game

Beating Ky at Rupp, ANYTIME, is a bigger accomplishments than beating a bunch of nobodies in BWA though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 27, 2015, 04:28:40 pm

We know it now and they were ranked when we played them

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2015, 04:39:50 pm
Beating Ky at Rupp, ANYTIME, is a bigger accomplishments than beating a bunch of nobodies in BWA though.

Agree, bet they haven't lost too many at home since Cal's been there .. imo, beating Ketucky in BWA is better than most wins anywhere else, even T25 wins on the road or at home.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2015, 04:39:50 pm

I agree but the Wofford win is the highest accomplishment in this coaching staffs tenure

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 27, 2015, 07:04:23 pm
I agree but the Wofford win is the highest accomplishment in this coaching staffs tenure

of course this is just another thread meant to say " hey Mikes great " this time based on winning at home, something any good coach should do when your home ooc sched is mainly creampuffs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2015, 07:19:03 pm
of course this is just another thread meant to say " hey Mikes great " this time based on winning at home, something any good coach should do when your home ooc sched is mainly creampuffs.

Those cream puffs were kicking our tails when Pelphrey was here.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 27, 2015, 07:49:07 pm
Heath took a few butt whippins to them as well!

TheRazorbackGuy

Funny how much rainbows and candy cane type stuff that's been going on recently.

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 27, 2015, 07:49:07 pm
Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 27, 2015, 07:50:39 pm
Heath took a few butt whippins to them as well!

So the comparison is cupcakes beating college coaches it happens every year. They play like 40 games and cupcake school can slip one on even major programs. Didn't Cal at Kentucky lose to Murray State at Rupp or something?

wheelspigharvey

We've beaten some good non-con opponents at home as well.  We beat a pretty good Michigan team in year one in a barn burner.   

Dominicanhog

if someone wrote something similar to your post about CBB, you would be going ape ship... btw, Toledo and Tech aren't exactly powerhouses...you never miss an opportunity to belittle or criticize, do you?...

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 28, 2015, 07:10:04 am
if someone wrote something similar to your post about CBB, you would be going ape ship... btw, Toledo and Tech aren't exactly powerhouses...you never miss an opportunity to belittle or criticize, do you?...

I was very critical of the loss to Toledo, should never have happened. But when your home schedule consists of teams like Southern, NW St, Charleston Southern, Evansville, Tn Tech, Mercer, and N Fla, you should have a really high win %.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2015, 09:00:49 am
I was very critical of the loss to Toledo, should never have happened. But when your home schedule consists of teams like Southern, NW St, Charleston Southern, Evansville, Tn Tech, Mercer, and N Fla, you should have a really high win %.
And by critical he meant that BA didn't get it done when it mattered. Not critical on CBB.....I get it, you get annoyed when someoen has something positive to say, just like others get annoyed when you decide to come in and troll up a thread that gives CMA credit that is backed up by statistical proof. I digress.

wheelspigharvey

I think the point of this image is to remind fans that even though those marquee dudes are gone, if you come to a game at the Bud chances are very high that you're going to watch us win no matter who the opponent is.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: azhog10 on October 28, 2015, 09:09:30 am
And by critical he meant that BA didn't get it done when it mattered. Not critical on CBB.....I get it, you get annoyed when someoen has something positive to say, just like others get annoyed when you decide to come in and troll up a thread that gives CMA credit that is backed up by statistical proof. I digress.

azhog, to act as if the UNC game through the entire off-season for the basketball program was good is about as blind as it gets. No reason to go over reasons A through Z bcuz you know them all and "Razorback Basketball on the Rise!" Um... I'm not so sure about that. The rest of the SEC got better this year with big name coaches and big time recruits. I think it's going to be quite the opposite of being on the Rise. I found post Wofford game until today to be very depressing to say the least. Some of it as an embarassment to the institution that I graduated from. Yes, Anderson has a great home record but as Hogsanity pointed out 90% of those games are against low majors. Maybe I'm wrong about 2016 but I'm pretty confident I'm not about "Arkansas Basketball on the Rise!" I just don't see how you lose 4 starters and 6 players overall and everything is getting better. 27 wins was good but still couldn't get out of the first weekend of the tournament. I'm concerned about this basketball program going forward just like Hogsanity. Caring about my alma mater in basketball is meaningful even if it's not such a homer. Keep in mind it's year 5 and this is a rebuilding season and you would not be happy if you knew that would be the case when we hired Anderson.

TheShow

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 27, 2015, 01:35:37 pm

Johnny "smite machine" at it again, he beat Kentucky at Rupp.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TheShow on October 28, 2015, 10:42:46 am
Johnny "smite machine" at it again, he beat Kentucky at Rupp.

No regular season win is comparable to the prestige of winning a tournament game. That's just your opinion.

azhog10

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 28, 2015, 09:39:40 am
azhog, to act as if the UNC game through the entire off-season for the basketball program was good is about as blind as it gets.
Did i say that? Not sure who you are talking to because that was not the intent of my post and is not even close to what I said. Thanks, come again.

ADavisTheGOAT

The only non conference loss was to Syracuse.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HognitiveDissonance

Every Razorback coach has done well at home. So no, I don't think Anderson has done much better.
Heath started out with nothing and took some lumps the first year, including one to Western Carolina at home. But after a bit of rebuilding, he did well at home.
Didn't Pelphrey beat Top 10 Ok and TX at home back to back? He did pretty well at home too.
Anderson has done well at home.

A truer measure is the road record. Again, to this point, there really isn't much difference, until this year. This year was a very good road record, and that translated to the 13-5 SEC record and the #5 seed. The home wins have always been there, it was the road wins that were missing and holding back the progress.

There is some debate over which is more important, overall wins or NCAA record? That's not an unfair question. I've heard it said this season was the best in 20 years. If you go by wins, that is true, 27 wins is the highest in a long time. If you go by NCAA wins, this year's second-round team was matched by the 2008 team under Pelphrey(actually Heath's team) which beat Indiana in Round 1 and lost to UNC in Round 2. So you might say this year was the best season since 2008. Both arguments have some merit.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 29, 2015, 12:11:09 am
Every Razorback coach has done well at home. So no, I don't think Anderson has done much better.
Heath started out with nothing and took some lumps the first year, including one to Western Carolina at home. But after a bit of rebuilding, he did well at home.
Didn't Pelphrey beat Top 10 Ok and TX at home back to back? He did pretty well at home too.

A truer measure is the road record. Again, to this point, there really isn't much difference, until this year. This year was a very good road record, and that translated to the 13-5 SEC record and the #5 seed. The home wins have always been there, it was the road wins that were missing and holding back the progress.

There is some debate over which is more important, overall wins or NCAA record? That's not an unfair question. I've heard it said this season was the best in 20 years. If you go by wins, that is true, 27 wins is the highest in a long time. If you go by NCAA wins, this year's second-round team was matched by the 2008 team under Pelphrey(actually Heath's team) which beat Indiana in Round 1 and lost to UNC in Round 2. So you might say this year was the best season since 2008. Both arguments have some merit.

High Quality Post +1000
Both arguments there are merit. Brilliant Post

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on October 28, 2015, 09:09:30 am

Actually, I defended BA, the problems in that Toldeo game were in the prep and in game adjustments by the staff.

This whole thread was a troll job, there was no need for another  " praise Mike " thread. We all know he is a deity to some of you, for what reason or reasons I have no idea.

Any good coach ( which I consider MA to be a GOOD coach ) is going to have a good to great home record because most power 5 conf teams usually play 8-10 absolute creampuffs at home every year.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 29, 2015, 12:11:09 am

Excellent post

HoopS

You know.  It is preseason for our Hogs and this is an Arkansas board. Is it really such a bad thing for folks to want to look positively at OUR team? I really don't get some of you.

TomBigBeeHog

Exciting time for Razorbacks basketball. CMA has taken us from getting beaten by cupcakes to eating them. Undeniable improvement. I love it.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 29, 2015, 08:56:59 am

Exciting time for Razorbacks basketball. CMA has taken us from getting beaten by cupcakes to eating them. Undeniable improvement. I love it.

what's even more fun is it's just driving some crazy.. they can't stand it... just awesome...

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 29, 2015, 09:12:39 am
what's even more fun is it's just driving some crazy.. they can't stand it... just awesome...

Or they have to deny that it happened.

It's true that our OOC SOS during Mike's first few years was pretty bad and that Pel beat some good teams here, but the conference record does matter.  We have been pretty much automatic in conference at home since Mike has been here.  Can't say the same for Pel, and it got worse over time for him.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on October 29, 2015, 08:46:57 am
You know.  It is preseason for our Hogs and this is an Arkansas board. Is it really such a bad thing for folks to want to look positively at OUR team? I really don't get some of you.

But this thread does not look at THIS team. It is backwards looking, and heaping praise on the COACH, not the players, and has nothing to do with this seasons team.

I am excited to see Whitt play, I just hope they are not going to put too much of the load on him too early. Do not want him to start out pressing to be " the man ".

Last years team was really good, and had 2 dynamic players, but guess what, they are gone, as are 2 solid sr role players.

HoopS

I've tried to talk plenty about our current team. It just doesn't go over well. There should be no surprise this has become what it has. I feel like I'm on a rival's board when I post positive things here. I don't need the headache.

TomBigBeeHog

October 29, 2015, 09:45:05 am #38 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:11:46 am by TomBigBeeHog
Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2015, 09:35:18 am
Last years team was really good, and had 2 dynamic players, but guess what, they are gone, as are 2 solid sr role players.

OMG! WTH! When did this happen? Why has no one been talking about this? Why the heck do we even have a message board if something like this can happen and no one brought it up or devoted a single thread to it? This is disgusting. Why do we even have Hogville?

Sorry, had to come back and punch up the punctuation. Hogville is tougher than my old high school English teacher. I heard that The Elements of Style is even about to issue a Hogville edition.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Heath was 59-21 at Bud Walton. 41-4 over his last 3 years

Pel was 54-18 at Bud Walton.

Both had a 15-1 season at home and both had an 8 loss season at home.

MA is 67-8 at home

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 29, 2015, 09:45:05 am
Why do we even have Hogville.

I guess so we can have 20 " Mike is awesome threads " and 30 "Get rid of Bert" threads.

The players that are gone have not been brought up any more than has Mike is great, this year will be just fine.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 29, 2015, 09:45:05 am
OMG! WTH! When did this happen? Why has no one been talking about this? Why the heck do we even have a message board if something like this can happen and no one brought it up or devoted a single thread to it? This is disgusting. Why do we even have Hogville?

Sorry, had to come back and punch up the punctuation. Hogville is tougher than my old high school English teacher. I heard that The Elements of Style is even about to issue a Hogville edition.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2015, 10:07:45 am
I guess so we can have 20 " Mike is awesome threads " and 30 "Get rid of Bret" threads.

The players that are gone have not been brought up any more than has Mike is great, this year will be just fine.

This must be a bullfight because every time, you charge at that cape. Surely you see that I jest?

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 29, 2015, 08:56:59 am

I wasn't trying to spark a debate. I was sampling trying to show that Mike has done very well at home. Thank you my friend for being positive...

DeltaBoy

I LIKE Mike and I hope he and the Boys have a GREAT Season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 29, 2015, 11:24:51 am
I LIKE Mike and I hope he and the Boys have a GREAT Season.

+1 Now, get out of town quick! The mob is gathering.

King Kong

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2015, 10:02:22 am
Heath was 59-21 at Bud Walton. 41-4 over his last 3 years

Pel was 54-18 at Bud Walton.

Both had a 15-1 season at home and both had an 8 loss season at home.

MA is 67-8 at home

Sure looks like MA has done much better at home

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2015, 11:30:12 am
Sure looks like MA has done much better at home

Better coach.  And this was something discussed before and after he was hired.  The style of play is home friendly which is great.  I don't think many doubted Mike's teams' ability to win at home.  And his teams have done it.  Job well done.

I'll look at all 3 coaches.  As far as Heath and looking at who his teams played in BWA:

1st season:  8-8 record, played 5 ranked teams in BWA, won 2 vs ranked teams
2nd: 10-6, 3, won 2
3rd: 13-3, 2, 0 top 25 wins
4th: 15-1, 1, 1 top 25 win
5th: 13-3, 2, 2 top 25 wins

Top 25 teams played in BWA:  13 
Record vs Top 25: 7-6

Just looking on the surface, his worst team played perhaps the toughest home schedule.  As his teams got better, his teams had more success.  Makes sense. 

Atlhogfan1

Pelphrey:

1st season:  15-3, played 2 ranked teams in BWA and won 2
2nd: 12-6, 3, won 2
3rd: 12-8, 3, won 0
4th: 15-3, 1, won 1

Top 25 teams played in BWA:  9
Record vs Top 25: 5-4

Heath's last group of players went unbeaten against top 25 teams at home over his last 2 seasons and Pel's first.

Both Heath and Pel went winless against top 25 teams at home in their 3rd seasons (0-5).