Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red And White Game November 1

Started by chiefhawg, October 22, 2015, 03:01:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2015, 09:25:54 am
Yes, in the red/white game 14 players tallies time. 1 is a graduate who is out of eligibility. 2 are walkons brought in to have enough bodies to play defense in practice, and I think ( but could be wrong ) one is a transfer who has to sit out this season. So talking about recruiting is an obvious outflow of that.

But lets talks about the game. Do you think, barring Beard coming back, that Whitt is going to log as much or more time at Pg than Durham?

I would love to see Whitt at the point. He has good handles and a high bball IQ. Still need to see him in games against stiff competition but I could see him coming in and taking the job. Mayberry did it as a frosh and so did Kareem Reid but I think both of them were Mc D All Americans though.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 03, 2015, 11:32:06 am
I would love to see Whitt at the point. He has good handles and a high bball IQ. Still need to see him in games against stiff competition but I could see him coming in and taking the job. Mayberry did it as a frosh and so did Kareem Reid but I think both of them were Mc D All Americans though.

My concern with him at PG is not his play, it is what that leaves us at the 2 spot.  That is not Durhams game. Bell'a limit has always been his defense, and no idea what we will get from anyone else at that spot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2015, 11:44:23 am
My concern with him at PG is not his play, it is what that leaves us at the 2 spot.  That is not Durhams game. Bell'a limit has always been his defense, and no idea what we will get from anyone else at that spot.

If the Bell isn't ringing from 3, I like Hannah's as an option. Neither will probably set the world on fire defensively but I think they will be serviceable. Pat Bradley did ok.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2015, 11:44:23 am

Again though, we don't play traditional PG/SGs roles on offense. Hence why we prefer combo-guards. It's a motion offense that normally allows up to four players the opportunity to handle the ball and create when in the half-court. That's why the staff tells Whitt and Barford and Monk that they can all be 'PG,' since they'd all have plenty of opportunity to make plays.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 03, 2015, 12:05:26 pm
Again though, we don't play traditional PG/SGs roles on offense. Hence why we prefer combo-guards. It's a motion offense that normally allows up to four players the opportunity to handle the ball and create when in the half-court. That's why the staff tells Whitt and Barford and Monk that they can all be 'PG,' since they'd all have plenty of opportunity to make plays.

Well, that may work if you have 3 guys that can run the point, but right now, I do not see that. Durham is too To prone, and Bell and Hannahs do not have the ball handling skills, imo.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2015, 12:17:22 pm
Well, that may work if you have 3 guys that can run the point, but right now, I do not see that. Durham is too To prone, and Bell and Hannahs do not have the ball handling skills, imo.

You don't think they can handle the ball as well as Pat Bradley?

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 03, 2015, 12:18:29 pm
You don't think they can handle the ball as well as Pat Bradley?

Pat was not asked to do it much, and, imo, had better talent around him. Pat and Bell are about the same, outside threat, Bell may take it to the basket a little more often, and neither is great on defense.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 03, 2015, 12:27:25 pm
Pat was not asked to do it much, and, imo, had better talent around him. Pat and Bell are about the same, outside threat, Bell may take it to the basket a little more often, and neither is great on defense.

That's why I say they are serviceable. Bell and Hannahs might not be great on defense but I think they can be adequate. We may run and press a little more to hide some of their weakness in the half court.

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 03, 2015, 12:35:00 pm
That's why I say they are serviceable. Bell and Hannahs might not be great on defense but I think they can be adequate. We may run and press a little more to hide some of their weakness in the half court.

Maybe, but with that comes the risk of more fouls and more cheapies given up too.

jjdlc

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 03, 2015, 12:35:00 pm

We really don't know what Hannahs will look like on D yet.  Having both Bell and Hannahs does give us a higher likelyhood that one of them will get hot any given night.  If they both get hot...

hawginbigd1

I think comparing the 2 on either end of the floor is a reach IMO, Bell does not have the eye Bradley had, Bell plays serviceable defense where Bradley was a mannequin! ;D

hogman99

I will take Bradley over Bell any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.  Pat had that want too and great basketball IQ who knew where to be and when to be there. Bradley was able to overcome some of his defensive weakness due to knowing what he could do and then doing it. Also, he had Nolan barking orders at him and he knew Nolan meant business so he did what he was told.

TomBigBeeHog

Saw where Kingsley had 27 points in the game. Nice to see him putting the ball in the hole. Also showed a nice touch at the line.

GuvHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 03, 2015, 04:34:17 pm
Saw where Kingsley had 27 points in the game. Nice to see him putting the ball in the hole. Also showed a nice touch at the line.

If Kingsley can score like that during the season (at least average 18 PPG) this team may be better in the paint than I originally thought.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on November 04, 2015, 02:53:14 pm
If Kingsley can score like that during the season (at least average 18 PPG) this team may be better in the paint than I originally thought.

Bobby averaged 17.5 ppg last year. I think 10ppg would be a nice start for Moses.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2015, 03:04:12 pm
Bobby averaged 17.5 ppg last year. I think 10ppg would be a nice start for Moses.

Yeah, I agree.

I can't see Moses giving us more than Bobby did his freshman season scoring wise. I see Moses's average being around the 9-12 point mark.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 04, 2015, 03:08:27 pm
Yeah, I agree.

I can't see Moses giving us more than Bobby did his freshman season scoring wise. I see Moses's average being around the 9-12 point mark.

You were so close. You couldn't make it a little Biggers and go 10-12?

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2015, 03:17:53 pm
You were so close. You couldn't make it a little Biggers and go 10-12?

He can't as the 9pts per game projection is assuming Kingsley battles foul trouble all year.

These message board projections have super complicated math formula to them.