Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Madness

Started by yraciv, October 16, 2015, 10:39:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

Why have we not heard a thing about a Madness type event for our men and women's teams this year?  I understand that Midnight Madness is a thing of the past and interest in Arkansas basketball is not at the peak of everyone's mind, but we've had some type of Red/White game every year since I can remember.  And though we don't quite fill them like we used to, people show up, they interact with the fans, and it is a fun time for all.  It just baffles me, the big unveiling is an 8:30 in the morning practice with little publicity.

Meanwhile I can see UK practice whenever I want.  Tonight I can go to ESPN 3 and see Harvard and Stephen F. Austin's kick off events.  Yes Stephen F Austin is hosting their event against high school football on a Friday in Texas. Hell, even UAFS had a Midnight Madness last night.  This is a bye weekend for the football Hogs and a lot of people are dying to glance at the new basketball hogs.  Even if it ended up being 3 quarters the crowd we had last year.  Would it not be worth it?

hogsanity

Quote from: yraciv on October 16, 2015, 10:39:54 am
Why have we not heard a thing about a Madness type event for our men and women's teams this year?  I understand that Midnight Madness is a thing of the past and interest in Arkansas basketball is not at the peak of everyone's mind, but we've had some type of Red/White game every year since I can remember.  And though we don't quite fill them like we used to, people show up, they interact with the fans, and it is a fun time for all.  It just baffles me, the big unveiling is an 8:30 in the morning practice with little publicity.

Meanwhile I can see UK practice whenever I want.  Tonight I can go to ESPN 3 and see Harvard and Stephen F. Austin's kick off events.  Yes Stephen F Austin is hosting their event against high school football on a Friday in Texas. Hell, even UAFS had a Midnight Madness last night.  This is a bye weekend for the football Hogs and a lot of people are dying to glance at the new basketball hogs.  Even if it ended up being 3 quarters the crowd we had last year.  Would it not be worth it?

I ask this in all seriousness, do they even have enough players right now to play a red/white game?

Bell, Watkins, Whitt, Durham, Hannahs, Kingsley, Miles, ????????????
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

010HogFan

This is exactly the kind of thing that has killed our basketball program. Bringing back midnight madness would be a step in the right direction, but nobody ever seems to come out with a straight answer as to why we don't do it anymore? Really strange and confusing that we quit doing it out of nowhere with no plans of bringing it back.

hogsanity

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 16, 2015, 11:51:24 am
This is exactly the kind of thing that has killed our basketball program. Bringing back midnight madness would be a step in the right direction, but nobody ever seems to come out with a straight answer as to why we don't do it anymore? Really strange and confusing that we quit doing it out of nowhere with no plans of bringing it back.

I think alot of schools got away from doing it, probably for a variety of reasons. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

010HogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2015, 11:54:04 am
I think alot of schools got away from doing it, probably for a variety of reasons. 

We have to have something similar to what Kentucky is doing every year or we are going to lose recruiting battles to them every time. Those kids eat that flashy stuff up.

HawgAdvocate

It's ultimately up to the Coach A. If he wants to host an event, an event will take place. But it's not a priority for them, for whatever reason. Even though there's been a LOT of turnover within Razorback Marketing the past few years, there's no good reason their staff can't work with the team and come up with a somewhat entertaining two hour program that brings in and engages both the students and the NWA community.

Even though most wouldn't necessarily attend to watch the Lady Backs, having Dykes on the mic to host his portion and promote his program would/should be a great thing.

Yeah, we're not UK. But this coming weekend they're hosting the #1 (Giles), #5 (Monk), #7 (Fox), #31 (Killeya-Jones) ranked players, plus four MORE top 60 recruits this weekend. It's ridiculous.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Mick Hogger

We can barely get anyone to come for non-conference games. Do we really want to tell people to show up and then them not do it while recruits are here?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hogman99

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2015, 01:13:25 pm
It's ultimately up to the Coach A. If he wants to host an event, an event will take place. But it's not a priority for them, for whatever reason. Even though there's been a LOT of turnover within Razorback Marketing the past few years, there's no good reason their staff can't work with the team and come up with a somewhat entertaining two hour program that brings in and engages both the students and the NWA community.

Even though most wouldn't necessarily attend to watch the Lady Backs, having Dykes on the mic to host his portion and promote his program would/should be a great thing.

Yeah, we're not UK. But this coming weekend they're hosting the #1 (Giles), #5 (Monk), #7 (Fox), #31 (Killeya-Jones) ranked players, plus four MORE top 60 recruits this weekend. It's ridiculous.

Well said, we need to get back to marketing the actual sport of basketball and showcase the program.  Tweeting out thefastest40 every other day makes no sense.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Mick Hogger on October 16, 2015, 01:30:29 pm
We can barely get anyone to come for non-conference games. Do we really want to tell people to show up and then them not do it while recruits are here?
This is the only game I can afford to go to.  I have been saving a can of corn all year for this.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

hogsanity

again, seriously, do they have enough players to play a red/white game?

HoopS

Durham
Bell
Watkins
Jenkins
Kingsley
Kouassi
Miles
Hannahs
Thompson
Whitt
Walkon

Beard
Thomas

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on October 16, 2015, 02:15:36 pm
Durham
Bell
Watkins
Jenkins
Kingsley
Kouassi
Miles
Hannahs
Thompson
Whitt
Walkon

Beard
Thomas

Are Beard and Thomas allowed to practice right now? If not, then to play a game they would have to do it 5 on 5, tough way to have a red/white game.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2015, 02:19:47 pm
Are Beard and Thomas allowed to practice right now? If not, then to play a game they would have to do it 5 on 5, tough way to have a red/white game.
no.

yraciv

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 16, 2015, 11:51:24 am

Midnight madness as it was originally designed was a fad of the 90s and is no more due to new practice rules that have been put in place.  I don't know all the specifics, but they changed the time you could start practicing at a much more logical time.  Midnight madness works when you are a powerhouse, but at this point obviously it would have very few people there due to the dwindling interest, which is why the scrimmages are usually at a family friendly 7:00 spot.  Even UK doesn't have a midnight event, but they have there Big Blue Madness event every year which continues getting bigger and bigger.  Like I said in the OP though, you don't have to be UK to hold these events, because most coaches around the country put these scrimmages/events on.  It's a great way to get people fired up about basketball, even if it is a small crowd.

Since Anderson has taken over, we have been doing gimmicky events every year with the women's team that have been fan friendly.  They aren't huge or extravagant, but people shows up and it gives you a good look at what we have and how they play together.  It is also a great way to let fans who can't afford tickets, come in and experience the Bud for free.  It's a damn shame it isn't happening this year!

yraciv

Quote from: HoopS on October 16, 2015, 02:15:36 pm
Durham
Bell
Watkins
Jenkins
Kingsley
Kouassi
Miles
Hannahs
Thompson
Whitt
Walkon

Beard
Thomas

Yeah plenty and I believe Pel and other coaches have filled in before when we had injury depth.  Kikko is on staff and gives them another body in practice last I heard, so I'm sure he could be an extra body if needed. If you add him that is 12, which would be plenty.  Anyone know who the walkon or walkons are yet.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on October 16, 2015, 02:23:31 pm
Since Anderson has taken over, we have been doing gimmicky events every year with the women's team that have been fan friendly.  They aren't huge or extravagant, but people shows up and it gives you a good look at what we have and how they play together.  It is also a great way to let fans who can't afford tickets, come in and experience the Bud for free.  It's a damn shame it isn't happening this year!

To me it's indicative of what the staff and administration think about this upcoming season of Razorback basketball. If they don't feel it's worth it to turn on the lights, open a couple concession stands, produce a little video, and introduce this year's squad, why should the casual fan(s) get invested emotionally and/or financially? Small crowd or not, you have a team that's going to need all the '6th man' fan support it can get this season.

With a new facility across the street, a new scoreboard, on top of other still relatively new improvements to 'fan experience,' not to mention finally reaching the Dance last season, it befuddles me as to why the staff and Marketing wouldn't do more to remind and encourage fans to stay involved.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2015, 04:09:49 pm
With a new facility across the street, a new scoreboard, on top of other still relatively new improvements to 'fan experience,' not to mention finally reaching the Dance last season, it befuddles me as to why the staff and Marketing wouldn't do more to remind and encourage fans to stay involved.

I think having the scrimmage around 7pm and opening up the new practice facility for tours would be a great event. Have the men and women's teams scrimmage, have a 3 pt shooting contest between the men and women's teams, and have a big introduction time where the lights are out, music is playing, and each player gets to walk out.

LR_Matt

Just another MA mistake....

MountieDawg

Quote from: yraciv on October 16, 2015, 10:39:54 am

I think the feeling is that if you have the Madnss event and the place is 50 percent empty its worse than not having the event. Monk was at Big Blue Madness last night and at Night at the Phogg last week to packed venues with many high profile recruits attending.  The admistration has to determine the lesser of 2 evils.  If Monk did not attend a Razorback Madness to attend he others it would have been a hard pill fr the fans to swallow.
SEC!

nwahogfan1

October 17, 2015, 09:04:55 am #19 Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:38:58 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2015, 04:23:13 pm
I think having the scrimmage around 7pm and opening up the new practice facility for tours would be a great event. Have the men and women's teams scrimmage, have a 3 pt shooting contest between the men and women's teams, and have a big introduction time where the lights are out, music is playing, and each player gets to walk out.

UAFS did exactly what you have mentioned and they brought in 2000 fans and more importantly 1000 students to its MOON LIGHT MADNESS event which began at 7PM.  Had the Men and Women teams play for 10 minutes of play each ( I wish they would have played 20 Minutes each) then had 4 teams of a man and a female compete in a 3 point contest.  then they had a dunk contest.  Our shortest player of 6'  Seth Youngblood won the dunk contest.  He has over a 40" vertical.  He won with a windmill dunk and a 360 dunk.  WOW!  Only lasted 90 minutes then they had autograph signing.  it was fun.  They were trying to get more Students to the games who bring a lot energy and I think they succeeded.

hogman99

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 17, 2015, 08:05:13 am
I think the feeling is that if you have the Madnss event and the place is 50 percent empty its worse than not having the event. Monk was at Big Blue Madness last night and at Night at the Phogg last week to packed venues with many high profile recruits attending.  The admistration has to determine the lesser of 2 evils.  If Monk did not attend a Razorback Madness to attend he others it would have been a hard pill fr the fans to swallow.

Kind of sad, don't you think?

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 17, 2015, 09:04:55 am
UAFS did exactly what you have mentioned and they brought in 2000 to its MOON LIGHT MADNESS event which began at 7PM.  Had the Men and Women teams play for 10 minutes of play each ( I wish they would have played 20 Minutes each) then had 4 teams of a man and a female compete in a 3 point contest.  then they had a dunk contest.  Our shortest player of 6'  Seth Youngblood won the dunk contest.  He has over a 40" vertical.  He won with a windmill dunk and a 360 dunk.  WOW!  Only lasted 90 minutes then they had autograph signing.  it was fun.  They were trying to get more Students to the games who bring a lot energy and I think they succeeded.
That Youngblood is a pretty darn good player as well.

Fairnbalanced

Can the mods explain their "policy" of deleting and banning folks please.  I'm new here but I see more negative posts stay up on this board while my post asking why they complain so much gets deleted. 

Ham Sandwich

Did somebody really say this is an MA mistake?

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2015, 10:51:34 am
I ask this in all seriousness, do they even have enough players right now to play a red/white game?

Bell, Watkins, Whitt, Durham, Hannahs, Kingsley, Miles, ????????????
Guess you don't know our entire roster? Missing 3 players who aren't suspended.

jry04

I really doubt their planning of a Razorback scrimmage has anything to do with Monk.  Monk is taking his official to Arkansas next weekend.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jry04 on October 17, 2015, 03:35:06 pm
I really doubt their planning of a Razorback scrimmage has anything to do with Monk.  Monk is taking his official to Arkansas next weekend.

I think it has a lot to do with Monk!!! Kentucky pulled out the best this weekend! Big Blue Madness Friday night and NBA exhibition game on Saturday night featuring 4 former wildcats. The 4 NBA guys spoke to the crowd before the preseason game at Rupp arena.

I hope that Monk is able to see the success that McFadden had as a Razorback! Different sport but elite talent that stayed. If you have it you have it no matter what uniform you choose to wear. I'm hoping Arkansas will get Monk but Kentucky has the Swag and Style that attracts elite players.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: tncbg on October 17, 2015, 08:06:47 pm
Monk was at the Kentucky extravaganza last night. They put on a laser light show like you might see in Vegas. Introduced the players like they do at the NBA Allstar game. NBA players hanging around everywhere while they hung up another Final Four banner. Anyone thinking Monk is a hog is totally delusional. Calipari loses 86% of his scoring and is ranked no. 1 in most polls. No wonder the college hoops world outside of Kentucky hates them so much.

Hating kensucky predates Cal by many years for me.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hoglady

At least then everyone would have a better idea of where Arkansas stood in the pecking order.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

nwahogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on October 17, 2015, 01:11:01 pm
That Youngblood is a pretty darn good player as well.

He is a super shooter with perfect form.  When he starts taking the ball to the rim more often then he will average over 15 ppg at our level.  He is a Junior this year and he was better at doing this each year so I expect him to be even better this year.

daprospecta

Quote from: hogsanity on October 16, 2015, 11:54:04 am
He just said no one has a straight answer and you just proved his point..................WHOOOOOSH over your head.

daprospecta

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 18, 2015, 03:42:33 pm
He is a super shooter with perfect form.  When he starts taking the ball to the rim more often then he will average over 15 ppg at our level.  He is a Junior this year and he was better at doing this each year so I expect him to be even better this year.
Not to be funny but couldn't he transfer here  and play right away?  We could most certainly use a floor general that can shoot.

Danny J

Quote from: tncbg on October 17, 2015, 08:06:47 pm
Monk was at the Kentucky extravaganza last night. They put on a laser light show like you might see in Vegas. Introduced the players like they do at the NBA Allstar game. NBA players hanging around everywhere while they hung up another Final Four banner. Anyone thinking Monk is a hog is totally delusional. Calipari loses 86% of his scoring and is ranked no. 1 in most polls. No wonder the college hoops world outside of Kentucky hates them so much.
I think he will end up at UK. Nothing more than a gut feeling and how bad things have gone for us over the last 15 years. I just don't see it. Man...I hope I am wrong.

yraciv

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 18, 2015, 03:42:33 pm

He averaged 17 a game last year.

MountieDawg

Quote from: jry04 on October 17, 2015, 03:35:06 pm

So you don't think these madness events are not a huge recruiting tool? Maybe you think it's all about getting some canned food donated for the admission. If you don't understand recruiting, it's ok. 
SEC!

wheelspigharvey

Well we don't have a date for the scrimmage, but the first open practice is on a day when campus will be flooded with people, and it's located right in the middle of those people.  We also have the dates for the exhibition games set.

I'm not saying I agree or not, but I feel like Mike isn't too into the red/white stuff, under him they usually haven't announced time and date until the last minute. 

jry04

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 19, 2015, 08:44:22 pm
So you don't think these madness events are not a huge recruiting tool? Maybe you think it's all about getting some canned food donated for the admission. If you don't understand recruiting, it's ok. 
I know they can be good recruiting tools. Trust me, I know how it works as much as anyone on here. My first job after graduate school was in the athletic department, and I was also best friends/lived with a former Razorback several years ago. I understand the recruiting process plenty. My point is the event is larger than just 1 recruit. We are not planning our event based on Monk. Is it possible the event can help with recruiting? Of course... However, the decision regarding the event is not being made this year based on whether Monk can attend or how it will look to Monk. It is really silly to think Mike and company are sitting around saying "let's not have a midnight madness this year because Monk may not attend, or the attendance will be down so Monk will not come here."

Monk knows whether he wants to come here or not, and our preseason scrimmage won't have an impact on that. He has been around our program since he was a little kid, and currently hangs out with our players. If he is going to come here it will be for 100 other reasons than what date our scrimmage was on or how many attended.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: jry04 on October 20, 2015, 12:16:45 pm
Monk knows whether he wants to come here or not, and our preseason scrimmage won't have an impact on that. He has been around our program since he was a little kid, and currently hangs out with our players. If he is going to come here it will be for 100 other reasons than what date our scrimmage was on or how many attended.

Bam! +1
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hobhog

I heard today that they would have open scrimmage at 8:30 before the football game? If so best kept secret in the state....

King Kong

Quote from: hobhog on October 21, 2015, 05:26:59 pm
I heard today that they would have open scrimmage at 8:30 before the football game? If so best kept secret in the state....

No secret it was announced last Thursday

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/oct/15/hoop-hogs-host-open-practice/