Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long adjusts ticket prices.

Started by The_Iceman, October 01, 2015, 09:15:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/oct/01/some-ua-basketball-ticket-prices-increase/

I just don't understand this move. We are going to be terrible next season and we need as many people as possible. We should have kept lower level seats at $25 for every game, and made upper deck seats $15.

EDIT: I renamed this thread "adjusts ticket prices" instead of "raises" because he does lower the prices for some games. However, I don't think he went far enough to get people into BWA.

azhog10

Bigger increase in upper bowl prices than lower bowl. Lower Bowl prices didn't increase all that much, and it's primarily an increase in just a couple games. The NBA does a very similar thing as far as raising prices based on who is in town. I beleive I read something about this a couple years ago. It's a "Market Adjustment" based on the fact people will re-sale their tickets for more money based on who is playing. This should also influence people to buy closer to the court which should provide a better environment in those games that aren't anywhere near a sell out.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on October 01, 2015, 09:18:31 am
Bigger increase in upper bowl prices than lower bowl. Lower Bowl prices didn't increase all that much, and it's primarily an increase in just a couple games. The NBA does a very similar thing as far as raising prices based on who is in town. I beleive I read something about this a couple years ago. It's a "Market Adjustment" based on the fact people will re-sale their tickets for more money based on who is playing. This should also influence people to buy closer to the court which should provide a better environment in those games that aren't anywhere near a sell out.

The terrible non-conference games should be $20/$10 upper and lower. SEC should be $25/$25 upper and lower. The elite games like Kentucky or Florida or LSU, depending on their preseason projections, I wouldn't mind being $35/$25. But, we have to find ways to get more people into the stadium, especially in the bad non-conference games and the 8pm weekday starts in SEC.

HawgAdvocate

Thanks in-large to the increase in ESPN/SEC Network 6pm (too early) and 8pm (too late) tip offs, it will be interesting to see how actual attendance responds come January. There certainly isn't a non-conference home game that commands a 'must see live' audience.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgon

The last time I went to a basketball game a few years ago, a guy GAVE me three lower level tickets at the door.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 01, 2015, 09:42:06 am
Thanks in-large to the increase in ESPN/SEC Network 6pm (too early) and 8pm (too late) tip offs, it will be interesting to see how actual attendance responds come January. There certainly isn't a non-conference home game that commands a 'must see live' audience.

If he such a "businessman" then he would see how to use that to his advantage. Lower the prices for those games to get people who normally can't go into the game. Then maybe, they will enjoy their time there and buy more tickets later on.

azhog10

Say what you want but this is on par with what is going on in the sports industry. The Market Adjusted Ticket prices is the norm now. People are always going to complain. Season Ticket prices didn't increase, only single game sales.

greasy_corner

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 01, 2015, 09:51:55 am
If he such a "businessman" then he would see how to use that to his advantage. Lower the prices for those games to get people who normally can't go into the game. Then maybe, they will enjoy their time there and buy more tickets later on.

I agree with your thinking.  But maybe there is no "later on" for him, based upon his career aspirations?   

HawgAdvocate

Honestly, even if he lowered prices by $5, would it really make a big difference in driving actual attendance this season? The NC home schedule already lacks appeal.

If someone truly wants to come see the Hogs play live via single-game tickets, unless you're a visitor coming to support an opponent as a one-off, you're going to pay $5+ extra. Discounting prices for a projected sub-par product doesn't move the needle, especially when they're televised.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 01, 2015, 10:10:45 am
Honestly, even if he lowered prices by $5, would it really make a big difference in driving actual attendance this season? The NC home schedule already lacks appeal.

If someone truly wants to come see the Hogs play live via single-game tickets, unless you're a visitor coming to support an opponent as a one-off, you're going to pay $5+ extra. Discounting prices for a projected sub-par product doesn't move the needle, especially when they're televised.
And we are talking about $20-$30 dollars. Not $60-$80 NBA tickets.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 01, 2015, 10:10:45 am

Lets say a lower/middle income father wants to take his wife and two kids to see a game. Knowing the kids won't really care who the opponent is, he decides to pick a non-conference game because the Hogs will likely win and the tickets are cheaper. With upper deck seating being lowered to $10 for those games, he would be able to take his family for $40, instead of $100 like it is currently. The UofA either makes $0 from those unsold tickets, or you get $40 plus the opportunity to build a connection with a new family that can't afford to drop $100 on tickets.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 01, 2015, 10:15:55 am
Lets say a lower/middle income father wants to take his wife and two kids to see a game. Knowing the kids won't really care who the opponent is, he decides to pick a non-conference game because the Hogs will likely win and the tickets are cheaper. With upper deck seating being lowered to $10 for those games, he would be able to take his family for $40, instead of $100 like it is currently. The UofA either makes $0 from those unsold tickets, or you get $40 plus the opportunity to build a connection with a new family that can't afford to drop $100 on tickets.

You're thinking 'micro' - they're thinking 'macro.' Set the prices now for years to come. Look at the schedule. No matter what the price is, should they expect large single-game ticket sales? Nope. Will there be a large demand this season? Nope. If there were a large demand, it would be unwise to increase prices. Only then would/could/should there be any real sort of backlash worth paying attention to.

But in the years to come, this marginal increase will be an afterthought, ESPECIALLY once they eventually become a team to come see live once again.

Hog_Swanson

At $15 a ticket, I might start attending more non-con games this year.  By half time, you can move down to the lower level seats anyway.  It doesn't take long to figure out where people are not sitting.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Inhogswetrust

"yield" management doesn't always mean lowering prices even if not full....................or raising them too much when full. It is a balancing act.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 01, 2015, 10:20:08 am
You're thinking 'micro' - they're thinking 'macro.' Set the prices now for years to come. Look at the schedule. No matter what the price is, should they expect large single-game ticket sales? Nope. Will there be a large demand this season? Nope. If there were a large demand, it would be unwise to increase prices. Only then would/could/should there be any real sort of backlash worth paying attention to.

But in the years to come, this marginal increase will be an afterthought, ESPECIALLY once they eventually become a team to come see live once again.

"yield" management uses both Micro and Macro factors................Based on what I read in that article they are using some classic airline and hotel yield management tactics but not all of them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

3kgthog

Trainor says they are trying to protect the season ticketholder, yet they are pricing some stinker games in the upper level at prices that are LESS than what the season ticketholder is required to pay. Nice try.

$10 discount for cupcakes x the huge number of cupcakes we play every year = a better deal for the single game ticket buyer than the season ticket holder.

Cresthog

Is it bad that I basically don't give a crap anymore?

Marshfieldhog

Brilliant!!!! Why anyone would pay full price is beyond me. You can get cheap tickets or even free right outside the door. This year is probably going to be brutal so this increase makes it even worse. If Anderson doesn't get any bigs in the recruiting class then year 6 isn't going to be much better.

HF#1

At what point does it stop?  I mean seriously...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg414

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 01, 2015, 09:15:04 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/oct/01/some-ua-basketball-ticket-prices-increase/

I just don't understand this move. We are going to be terrible next season and we need as many people as possible. We should have kept lower level seats at $25 for every game, and made upper deck seats $15.

EDIT: I renamed this thread "adjusts ticket prices" instead of "raises" because he does lower the prices for some games. However, I don't think he went far enough to get people into BWA.

youre one of the biggest proponents of moving the lone remaining LR game from WMS.  and your biggest argument is that we miss out on a few dollars.  yet when he raises a ticket that affects you by a few dollars, you complain??

HAWG MAFIA

I do not care, until we get better. then i'll complain

hogsanity

For basketball, attending a single game is much leass about cost, i mean adjusting tickets 5 or 10 bucks is not a make or break deal, as it is about time. 6pm game is just too early for people outside the immediate area to make it up, 8pm puts people hoe too late, especially if you have smaller kids.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HotlantaHog

I think the goal is to encourage more people to buy season tickets instead of cherry pick games for a few games.... if that is what you are trying to accomplish, the raising of lower level ticket prices makes some sense... Not sure it will work in the absence of a really good team, though.

pfrg999

Stand Outside.. get them for Half Price.. or less... And for the Market Adjusted Games.. if ya can't afford em They will be on TV or Online and you can drink all the beer you want at home & Parking is free.. However, It all depends on the teams record... A 6-12 team will not be as heavily attended as a 14-4... One may sell out the other... half price tickets outside ;)
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!