Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball Players Plead Not Guilty to Forgery Charges

Started by Scott Marshall, September 02, 2015, 11:37:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wright43

I think, if he's found guilty, MA will kick him off the team.

I also would guess that Beard is guilty. Exchanging multiple fake bills for real $100s at one time, combined with the fact that it was a family member busted for making the fake bills, it just doesn't look good...

I don't know enough about the legal system in regards to forgery charges, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would be surprised if we see Beard in a Razorback uniform again. Which is too bad, because he had a lot of potential, and you had to see a kid's talents and opportunities go to waste because of their own bad choices. Hope I'm wrong and this whole thing was a misunderstanding, and he's back on the court next year-but that seems unlikely.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wright43 on October 20, 2015, 11:19:14 am
I think, if he's found guilty, MA will kick him off the team.

I also would guess that Beard is guilty. Exchanging multiple fake bills for real $100s at one time, combined with the fact that it was a family member busted for making the fake bills, it just doesn't look good...

I don't know enough about the legal system in regards to forgery charges, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would be surprised if we see Beard in a Razorback uniform again. Which is too bad, because he had a lot of potential, and you had to see a kid's talents and opportunities go to waste because of their own bad choices. Hope I'm wrong and this whole thing was a misunderstanding, and he's back on the court next year-but that seems unlikely.

If he goes to trial on the original charge and is found guilty, he may very well be in federal prison. That has been the one piece missing, what else was found out during the investigation? Did they find a stack of fake bills in his room or his car? Did they find he had been doing this for a while? Stuff like that we do not know.

Now, if he pleads to a lesser charge, he may very well be given probation. If so, and if Mike and the school say he can play, that is fine. My opinion, the legal system handles this stuff. Why punish the entire team by not letting him play if the courts deem he does not need to be in jail?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2015, 11:27:09 am
If he goes to trial on the original charge and is found guilty, he may very well be in federal prison. That has been the one piece missing, what else was found out during the investigation? Did they find a stack of fake bills in his room or his car? Did they find he had been doing this for a while? Stuff like that we do not know.

Now, if he pleads to a lesser charge, he may very well be given probation. If so, and if Mike and the school say he can play, that is fine. My opinion, the legal system handles this stuff. Why punish the entire team by not letting him play if the courts deem he does not need to be in jail?

+1
I find myself agreeing with you, here and there. Must be time to go back on my meds.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 20, 2015, 12:16:20 pm
+1
I find myself agreeing with you, here and there. Must be time to go back on my meds.

It happens, don't worry, you'll be fine.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 20, 2015, 12:16:20 pm
+1
To me there is absolutely no reason to keep Beard around. I will be shocked if Mike keeps him around after this is settled.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 20, 2015, 12:32:43 pm
To me there is absolutely no reason to keep Beard around. I will be shocked if Mike keeps him around after this is settled.

In my opinion, there are several reasons to keep Beard around, not all having to do with basketball.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 20, 2015, 12:43:29 pm
In my opinion, there are several reasons to keep Beard around, not all having to do with basketball.
The things you are talking about will likely be what saves him. However, no matter where he is from or who he is, he should never represent our program again. Good luck to him in the future but if he knowingly did those things, he has no business on the team. I can't see how you can even argue it. Sure, we could use his 4pts and 3 assist a game but not that much!

mizzouman

If Beard is convicted or pleads to a felony, he's off the team.  Anything else, he plays.  I think it's that simple.

Wooderson

I fully admit that I have done little research into this issue.  My main question is how is it even possible that someone that was caught passing forged money even have a chance at less than five years in federal prison?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Wooderson on October 20, 2015, 01:08:57 pm
I fully admit that I have done little research into this issue.  My main question is how is it even possible that someone that was caught passing forged money even have a chance at less than five years in federal prison?

because it happens that people who do this on a minor scale almost never end up in federal prison on a first offense.

hogsanity

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 20, 2015, 12:32:43 pm

If he was going to cut ties with him, it would already have been done.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 20, 2015, 12:49:49 pm
The things you are talking about will likely be what saves him. However, no matter where he is from or who he is, he should never represent our program again. Good luck to him in the future but if he knowingly did those things, he has no business on the team. I can't see how you can even ague it. Sure, we could use his 4pts and 3 assist a game but not that much!

Obviously this is not something Beard does all the time, considering the clumsy, carefree way they went about doing it. Sounds like some kids who got a hold of some funny money and thought, man let's cash this in and have a little spending money for the weekend. Stupid stuff that lots of kids get into without thinking can have big repercussions. For a lot of kids, its never found out about or it is handled quietly.

The law takes into account a whole range of mitigating factors (especially for a first offender) including age at time of offense, educational level, socioeconomic background, family history, community and family support, likelihood of committing another offense, payment of restitution, character witnesses and testimonials, possibility of alternative punishments, work history, current enrollment in school and on and on.

Point is, Anton will have a lot of things in his past and present that mitigate the imposition of punishment which could allow for a negotiation down to, most likely, a 5 year probation and upon successful completion of that term, an expungement of his criminal record providing that there is no further criminal activity on his part.

He will learn from this. If he avoids jail time and is given alternative punishment by the court, that is recognition by the court that he deserves a second chance and it will be up to CMA and Jeff Long as to whether this is best for Beard and the university. Beard doesn't need any additional punishments imposed by the fans. Sometimes, people need a second chance.

King Kong

Quote from: Wooderson on October 20, 2015, 01:08:57 pm

Plea Deal is the most likely situation. If Beard or Thomas could provide a name the mastermind behind this Money and agree to testify against them they could get a deal cut.

Also a plea deal could be used to avoid this going to trial to saved money in the legal system or if DA isn't sure they can get a conviction in Court.

Now, are any of these things going on behind closed doors? That nobody has any information.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: King Kong on October 20, 2015, 01:53:33 pm
Plea Deal is the most likely situation. If Beard or Thomas could provide a name the mastermind behind this Money and agree to testify against them they could get a deal cut.

Also a plea deal could be used to avoid this going to trial to saved money in the legal system or if DA isn't sure they can get a conviction in Court.

Now, are any of these things going on behind closed doors? That nobody has any information.

Offer of plea deal is routine by prosecutors in most cases. Room for negotiation depending upon circumstances.

PorkRinds

I feel like if Mike wasn't planning to keep Beard on the team if at all possible, he would have already booted him.  The fact that he hasn't means that if Beard stays out of jail, he likely stays on the team.  JMO of course.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 20, 2015, 01:10:38 pm
because it happens that people who do this on a minor scale almost never end up in federal prison on a first offense.

Yeah I have a really good friend that's a prosecuting attorney and he said Beard isn't going to prison on a first offense where he tried to exchange a few bills. He told me he sees cases like this all of the time and prosecutors arent interested in ruining a young guys life for a First offense where you're trying to exchange a few bills. He said he'll get probation but federal prison is a tad far fetched.

Ham Sandwich

He isn't going to federal prison for trying to exchange a few bills. Like I just posted I have a very good friend who's a prospecting attorney and he told me Beard isn't going to federal prison for trying to exchange a few bills. He told me he sees cases like his all of the time.

jry04

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2015, 02:30:46 pm
I feel like if Mike wasn't planning to keep Beard on the team if at all possible, he would have already booted him.  The fact that he hasn't means that if Beard stays out of jail, he likely stays on the team.  JMO of course.
Agreed.

King Kong

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 20, 2015, 01:58:49 pm
Offer of plea deal is routine by prosecutors in most cases. Room for negotiation depending upon circumstances.

I thought that is what I was saying.

mizzouman

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on October 20, 2015, 02:48:56 pm
Yeah I have a really good friend that's a prosecuting attorney and he said Beard isn't going to prison on a first offense where he tried to exchange a few bills. He told me he sees cases like this all of the time and prosecutors arent interested in ruining a young guys life for a First offense where you're trying to exchange a few bills. He said he'll get probation but federal prison is a tad far fetched.
True, the question is will it be a misdemeanor or a felony probation?

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: jry04 on October 20, 2015, 03:19:48 pm
Agreed.
I think Mike wanted to make sure ducks were in a row. I still think he will give them the boot once its proven that he exchanged the fake bills. Innocent till proven guilty.

arkmark

For those of you posting about federal prison keep in mind these charges are state charges.  Any sentence that may or may not come at a future date would be served with the Arkansas corrections system not the federal system.  These cases to date are being handled in the state court system not the federal courts.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: arkmark on October 20, 2015, 05:43:49 pm
For those of you posting about federal prison keep in mind these charges are state charges.  Any sentence that may or may not come at a future date would be served with the Arkansas corrections system not the federal system.  These cases to date are being handled in the state court system not the federal courts.

Even better opportunity to avoid jail and get probation

songofthesword

Your friend is full if it. Its up to the judge and only the judge un a federal case to impose sentencing.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: songofthesword on October 21, 2015, 02:31:33 am
Your friend is full if it. Its up to the judge and only the judge un a federal case to impose sentencing.

It's not a federal case. This is better because there is a lot more discretion in imposing a sentence in state court.

Letsroll1200

Any new info on Beard? The season is just a few days away and nothing has changed regarding his status with the team.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 22, 2015, 10:43:02 pm
Any new info on Beard? The season is just a few days away and nothing has changed regarding his status with the team.

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 20, 2015, 09:14:42 am
Think its the 27th. (court date) That's what I've seen on here.
Stay tuned.

Ham Sandwich

No he isn't full of it and isn't even that big of a hog fan.

psooie

My guess is the law is much more worried about getting the folks who were printing the bills than targeting the 3 players, 2 of which seem to have easy cases to defend.

20gauge

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on October 20, 2015, 04:27:51 pm
I think Mike wanted to make sure ducks were in a row. I still think he will give them the boot once its proven that he exchanged the fake bills. Innocent till proven guilty.
They already know he exchanged the bills. Supposedly there is video eveidence is there not. it all comes down to if the players are convicted or not I would think.

If they plead out they wil lprobably get some kind of suspension or get booted and if they are proven innocent, well there is your starting point guard.

If they are telling the truth and didnt know, IMO opinion you suspend them and make sure they dont hang out with whoever gave them those bills.

TomBigBeeHog

Beard and Thomas will be back before thanksgiving. Gut feeling.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: 20gauge on October 23, 2015, 04:22:42 pm
They already know he exchanged the bills. Supposedly there is video eveidence is there not. it all comes down to if the players are convicted or not I would think.

If they plead out they wil lprobably get some kind of suspension or get booted and if they are proven innocent, well there is your starting point guard.

If they are telling the truth and didnt know, IMO opinion you suspend them and make sure they dont hang out with whoever gave them those bills.

They aren't going to send them to jail for exhanging a few bills. If they were running a counterfeit operation it would be a tad different. We are talking about a first offense where you're exhanging a few bills.

It's not like he walked in with thousands of dollars in fake money to exchange. It was a few bills.

Wooderson

Even if there is a plea to a misdemeanor, do you really want someone who lacks morality and integrity to the extent they are willing to do this associated with the University of Arkansas? 

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: Wooderson on October 24, 2015, 07:29:06 pm
Even if there is a plea to a misdemeanor, do you really want someone who lacks morality and integrity to the extent they are willing to do this associated with the University of Arkansas?

He who hath no sin, cast the first stone.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Wooderson

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on October 24, 2015, 08:23:39 pm
He who hath no sin, cast the first stone.

Ha, really?  That is a horrible reply.  Society judges people everyday through the legal system.  We are held accountable for our actions by our employers.  Last I checked there is a code of conduct for UofA students.  I'm pretty positive swindling people out of money by passing counterfeit bills violates some part of it.  If not, we might as well be Auburn.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wooderson on October 24, 2015, 07:29:06 pm

Oh, good grief. Get off your high horse. Kid made a mistake. No need to act like he's some kind of animal or evil person.

It's funny that you're talking about people lacking integrity, but you're judging this young man by saying he lacks integrity and morality based on one act. The best of men make mistakes, and are often products of past transgressions.

Veritas Arkansas

If he's found guilty he could go to state prison.  State courts can't sentence someone to federal prison.

The only way he'd go to federal prison is if the Feds press charges.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Veritas Arkansas

Yes, but this isn't a federal case - it's a state case.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: Wooderson on October 24, 2015, 08:29:01 pm
Ha, really?  That is a horrible reply.  Society judges people everyday through the legal system.  We are held accountable for our actions by our employers.  Last I checked there is a code of conduct for UofA students.  I'm pretty positive swindling people out of money by passing counterfeit bills violates some part of it.  If not, we might as well be Auburn.

Cast that stone then brother.

Wooderson

I'll cast it then.  A mistake is using improper language in the wrong situation.  A mistake is acting out of anger.  A mistake is getting behind the wheel when you feel fine, but blow a .08.  A mistake is forgetting to pay a parking ticket, or letting your tags expire.  Those are all redeemable mistakes.

Being involved in a ring that passes forged American currency that takes planning and thought is no mistake.  That is a deliberate act that nobody involved with a higher institute of learning should be involved in.

Sickening that some of you think otherwise.  What would happen to you at your jobs if you were involved with something like this?  Lawyers would be disbarred.  Doctors would lose their medical license.  Military members would be sent to Leavenworth. 

Hawg Red they are not kids.  They are men and neither deserves the right to be associated with our University.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wooderson on October 24, 2015, 09:10:02 pm
I'll cast it then.  A mistake is using improper language in the wrong situation.  A mistake is acting out of anger.  A mistake is getting behind the wheel when you feel fine, but blow a .08.  A mistake is forgetting to pay a parking ticket, or letting your tags expire.  Those are all redeemable mistakes.

Being involved in a ring that passes forged American currency that takes planning and thought is no mistake.  That is a deliberate act that nobody involved with a higher institute of learning should be involved in.

Sickening that some of you think otherwise.  What would happen to you at your jobs if you were involved with something like this?  Lawyers would be disbarred.  Doctors would lose their medical license.  Military members would be sent to Leavenworth. 

Hawg Red they are not kids.  They are men and neither deserves the right to be associated with our University.

Anton Beard is 19 years old. He's not a grown man. Sorry but everyone here who is in at least their late 20s knows that 19 years old is pretty much still a kid. Legally, yes, that's adult age, but not in the vast majority of cases. Personally, I don't feel that you're adult until you support yourself financially and live on your own.

He made a mistake if he took that money knowing it was fake. If there is a punishment to be handed down, he deserves it. No one is dismissing this or looking the other way. But it's also not really that big of a deal when compared to most things that college athletes get in trouble for (drunk driving, violence, drugs, having guns, etc.). I think he deserves a second chance if all he did was use fake money. That's something a kid should be given a chance to bounce back from. Anderson obviously agrees or everyone involved would be gone.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Who said anything about mistakes? The word I used was SIN. Cast on my sinless brother.

-Blu

Some of you guys are so dramatic.  Your acting like the kid is leading some counterfeit ring.  The most likely scenario he had a shady friend that had some hook-up on some fake bills, and he gave him a few.  Nobody is denying it was stupid of him to take them and actually try to use them.  There should be a punishment.  But not prison and everything that you guys are wanting.  I guarantee you there's plenty of college kids that's hooking their buddies up with free stuff at their jobs.

Like I said in another thread, since this is his first offense, give him some probation, make him do community service, and run him until he can't run anymore.

Willyboy

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on October 24, 2015, 11:51:41 pm
Who said anything about mistakes? The word I used was SIN. Cast on my sinless brother.

Now you're just arguing semantics.  And furthermore, the use of that phrase in this argument just implies that you think justice or judgement has no place in our society.  Get over yourself dude.  If no one is blameless then there is no one with the authority to pass judgement.  Actions have consequences.

root_hawg

When we hear anything further on the case, is there a date set?

HOGINTENNESSEE

RME

Quote from: -Blu on October 25, 2015, 12:17:59 am
Some of you guys are so dramatic.  Your acting like the kid is leading some counterfeit ring.  The most likely scenario he had a shady friend that had some hook-up on some fake bills, and he gave him a few.  Nobody is denying it was stupid of him to take them and actually try to use them.  There should be a punishment.  But not prison and everything that you guys are wanting.  I guarantee you there's plenty of college kids that's hooking their buddies up with free stuff at their jobs.

Like I said in another thread, since this is his first offense, give him some probation, make him do community service, and run him until he can't run anymore.

So should this be the precedent for ALL ensuing similar cases? Or is this just because he's a solid basketball player on a relatively high profile team...

-Blu

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 26, 2015, 10:15:07 am
So should this be the precedent for ALL ensuing similar cases? Or is this just because he's a solid basketball player on a relatively high profile team...

If it's a first time offense with no prior legal problems no matter who it is, probation and community service is a just punishment for exchanging a few fake bills . Now, that assuming that's all he did (he only did it once) and he's never done anything else like this before.

And also FYI, if you think every case is handled the same and everyone is treated the same and your situation doesn't matter your living in a fantasy world.  Your situation absolutely has an affect on what happens.  Judges are typical more lenient on people who are doing something positive and trying to better than lives (college, trade school, army, etc.), rather than someone just sitting around not doing anything with their life.  I had a classmate that was about to be sentenced to jail time, however he had just joined the army, and he just got probation because the judge felt with him being in the army he was trying to better himself.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on October 26, 2015, 10:52:07 am
If it's a first time offense with no prior legal problems no matter who it is, probation and community service is a just punishment for exchanging a few fake bills . Now, that assuming that's all he did (he only did it once) and he's never done anything else like this before.

And also FYI, if you think every case is handled the same and everyone is treated the same and your situation doesn't matter your living in a fantasy world.  Your situation absolutely has an affect on what happens.  Judges are typical more lenient on people who are doing something positive and trying to better than lives (college, trade school, army, etc.), rather than someone just sitting around not doing anything with their life.

LOL - Nothing says 'doing something positive with one's life' like dropping hundreds in counterfeit cash at the tobacco store on 'tobacco products.' Whether they're rolling skins or just sparking up, these guys have shown themselves to be real contributors to society, haha.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12