Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball Players Plead Not Guilty to Forgery Charges

Started by Scott Marshall, September 02, 2015, 11:37:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 27, 2015, 12:35:54 pm
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/oct/27/december-court-dates-players-charged-forgery/

December 8 court date for Beard, December 10 for Thomas.

Interesting. So they plan to stick with their 'not guilty' pleas. Sink or swim.

I've read on here that some are saying Beard's relative (uncle?) was involved? Is that just message board speculation?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 27, 2015, 12:39:04 pm

I've read on here that some are saying Beard's relative (uncle?) was involved? Is that just message board speculation?

I've only known the talk about Beard getting the bills from an uncle to come from a message board. Hard to imagine Beard playing this year if his next court isn't until December.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 27, 2015, 12:39:04 pm

Odds are good that they can still enter a plea of guilty at a later date if they want to.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on October 27, 2015, 12:43:37 pm
Odds are good that they can still enter a plea of guilty at a later date if they want to.

I'm intrigued as to why they haven't done so already. There's video footage and an admission, along with an extended law enforcement operation that focused solely on these fake bills. Simply saying they didn't know the bills were fake doesn't sound like a reasonable defense if the PA decided to bring multiple charges to Beard. I have to wonder what the players' defense is planning.

Would you presume that a plea deal was proposed, and found to be unsuitable by the players? A penny for your thoughts, Veritas?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TomBigBeeHog

This is from an Arkansas Court of appeals case in 2006:

CASE SUMMARY

PROCEDURAL POSTURE: A jury for the Drew County Circuit Court (Arkansas) found defendant guilty of five counts of first-degree forgery, Ark. Code Ann. § 5-37-201 (1997), and one count of first-degree continuing criminal enterprise in connection with the possession and uttering of counterfeit money, Ark. Code Ann. § 5-74-104(a)(1) (1997). He was sentenced to 600 months in the Arkansas Department of Correction. Defendant appealed.

OVERVIEW: Defendant attempted to buy merchandise at several stores with counterfeit money. Defendant was eventually arrested and charged with first-degree forgery and first-degree continuing criminal enterprise in connection with the possession and uttering of counterfeit money. The State alleged that defendant acted in concert with two individuals. However, the evidence established that defendant had assured the first individual that the bill was real. Also, the second individual refused defendant's offer to exchange one of his hundred dollar bills for twenty dollars. Thus, there was no evidence establishing that defendant acted in concert with two or more other persons. Thus, his first-degree continuing-criminal-enterprise conviction was improper. But, with regards to his first-degree forgery convictions, there was substantial evidence establishing that defendant acted with intent because (1) he repeatedly tried to pass counterfeit bills at local businesses; and (2) he offered the second individual one of his hundred dollar bills in exchange for twenty dollars. Thus, under Ark. Code Ann. §§ 5-37-101(7) (Supp. 2005) and -201 (1997), his convictions for first-degree forgery were proper.

OUTCOME: The appellate court affirmed defendant's first-degree-forgery convictions. Also, the appellate court held that his arguments alleging ineffective assistance of counsel and that the trial court erred in denying his motion for mistrial lacked merit. However, the appellate court reversed and dismissed defendant's first-degree continuing-criminal-enterprise conviction.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 27, 2015, 12:51:19 pm
I'm intrigued as to why they haven't done so already. There's video footage and an admission, along with an extended law enforcement operation that focused solely on these fake bills. Simply saying they didn't know the bills were fake doesn't sound like a reasonable defense if the PA decided to bring multiple charges to Beard. I have to wonder what the players' defense is planning.

Would you presume that a plea deal was proposed, and found to be unsuitable by the players? A penny for your thoughts, Veritas?

With knowing as little as I do about this situation, any opinion is nothing more than speculation.  They're likely not going to plead guilty without some kind of negotiated agreement.

There are any number of reasons why this case is still pending:

Maybe the prosecutors are still working on an offer to extend.
Maybe the basketball players are cooperating with law enforcement to trace the source of the bills, and a plea offer is contingent on their cooperation.
Maybe, just maybe, they didn't know that the bills were counterfeit.
Maybe an offer has been extended, and they are weighing their options.
Maybe an offer has been extended, but they think they are better off letting a jury decide their punishment.
Maybe it's some combination of those.  Maybe it's another reason entirely. 

I honestly couldn't tell ya, and the above are just guesses.

There really isn't any way to tell.  But there isn't anything abnormal about this timeline. 

dbhog

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on October 27, 2015, 12:01:04 pm
A. Beard is playing this year.....all is good......Will get a slap on the wrist for being a 1st time'er so no need in anybody tripping out because (he will be playing)....That's the real news for any & everybody....

Don't think so. 

GuvHog

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on October 27, 2015, 12:01:04 pm
A. Beard is playing this year.....all is good......Will get a slap on the wrist for being a 1st time'er so no need in anybody tripping out because (he will be playing)....That's the real news for any & everybody....

If his crime was a misdemeanor you'd have a decent chance of being right but it isn't. It's a Felony. I seriously doubt any deal arrangement will include probation instead of jail time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on October 27, 2015, 04:43:01 pm
If his crime was a misdemeanor you'd have a decent chance of being right but it isn't. It's a Felony. I seriously doubt any deal arrangement will include probation instead of jail time.

Do you know what the Arkansas Sentencing Commission has established as a presumptive sentence for Forgery in the 1st Degree, on someone with a criminal history of zero?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on October 27, 2015, 05:04:53 pm
Do you know what the Arkansas Sentencing Commission has established as a presumptive sentence for Forgery in the 1st Degree, on someone with a criminal history of zero?

Please tell. I don't want to look it up.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Veritas Arkansas

k.c.hawg

My thoughts are: plea bargains get worked out when there are real deadlines, just like labor contracts. The prosecution demands a guilty plea to the actual charges, the defendants counsel offers to plea to lesser charges. The prosecutor demands there will be a suspended sentence, the defendants counsel offers to plea if it is supervised or unsupervised probation. Eventually time gets short and there is some compromise on both sides. The prosecutors know their time is better spent on violent crimes, defendants counsel knows he cannot expect the prosecutor to embarrass himself by being too light on a real crime. It is not a violent crime, no way a first time offender will do any serious time on this. Could get some weekends in jail or some home detention if, it goes real bad......otherwise it is going to be some suspended time with supervised probation or maybe just supervised probation.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on October 27, 2015, 05:42:55 pm
My thoughts are: plea bargains get worked out when there are real deadlines, just like labor contracts. The prosecution demands a guilty plea to the actual charges, the defendants counsel offers to plea to lesser charges. The prosecutor demands there will be a suspended sentence, the defendants counsel offers to plea if it is supervised or unsupervised probation. Eventually time gets short and there is some compromise on both sides. The prosecutors know their time is better spent on violent crimes, defendants counsel knows he cannot expect the prosecutor to embarrass himself by being too light on a real crime. It is not a violent crime, no way a first time offender will do any serious time on this. Could get some weekends in jail or some home detention if, it goes real bad......otherwise it is going to be some suspended time with supervised probation or maybe just supoervised probation.

Sounds about right

Porked Tongue

I believe you will hear resolutions for the two players still here before Thanksgiving.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 27, 2015, 08:51:46 pm
I believe you will hear resolutions for the two players still here before Thanksgiving.

Legally or Basketball?

Baldpig

Since Beard is suspended for the first semester and probably the entire year, how can he keep his scholarship

Hawg Red

Quote from: Baldpig on October 28, 2015, 07:27:23 am
Since Beard is suspended for the first semester and probably the entire year, how can he keep his scholarship

He's still on the team. That's how.

I get where you're coming from, but that's just how it is when the school decides to let the legal system sort it out. The schools seems to have also adopted the "innocent until proven guilty" mentality that is afforded to the players by the court system.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Baldpig on October 28, 2015, 07:27:23 am

Same way Joe Mixon is still on OU's football team. Suspended from playing but still on Scholarship and still on the team.

hoglady

Whether Beard ever sees the basketball court for the Hogs - I hope he can work out a plea deal that doesn't include prison time. Anyone who thinks a state prison is where people learn their lessons and better themselves is living in la-la land.
A felony conviction is devastating enough for any job opportunities.
It serves society better to give this kid a second chance to be a productive member of society.
Probation and community service / anything but prison.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

psooie

I can see how beard has much more of a problem than the other 2 since he tried to exchange bills which probably means he knew they were fake. Don't see how the other 2 wouldn't get off by just saying they didn't know the bills were fake. That may be true or it may not be true but just buying something with a fake bill is hard to prove they knew it was fake. Now the DA might be trying to turn the players against each other if they are playing hardball. The real concern for the police is finding out who was printing the bills.

Fan1958

Quote from: -Blu on October 26, 2015, 04:38:25 pm
I like how in every one of your posts you want to try to challenge my intelligence and I've tried to keep it civil with you.  FYI, I've got a degree hanging up in my office, and I've got tons of academic awards laying around my house somewhere, and a nice paying job, I'm good bro, if you don't understand what I'm saying that's on you, the people I do business with and make money on understand me, that's all I'm worried about. But if it makes you feel better to think your somehow smarter than me, by all means boost your self esteem, you obviously need it. Especially since the highlight of your day is coming to a message board hoping for prison time on a college student.

Also, while you think your so smart, you really need to get out of the house some, you are way out of touch with college life.  Do you know how many kids do stupid stuff while in college?  Underage drinking, smoking weed, fighting, hazing, vandalism, stealing, illegal downloading, DUI, and the list goes on, do you seriously think all of them premeditated that they would do something stupid in college?  You act like Beard sat and thought "Hey, I'm going to practice and get really good at basketball, so I can go to college exchange $300 in fake bills and get away with it."  Kids make mistakes, but apparently while you were working on your Doctorate in message board grammar you didn't have time to get into any trouble, so doesn't surprise me that you can't relate.

Doesn't matter the level of your intelligence, the number of degrees you earned or the amount of money you make when you consistently use "your" when the proper spelling is "you're" based on the context.  Intelligent, educated folks will always have questions about you, whether the misuse is on a message board or in a doctoral thesis.

Now, to the kids. These weren't "mistakes". A mistake is marking "C" when you intended to mark "A". A mistake is picking up the keys to the Jeep when you meant to pick up the keys to the Silverado.  To pass bogus bills numerous times and to buy a dollar pack of gum and pay for it with a fake C note to receive clean change in return are conscious decisions that carry serious consequences.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

-Blu

Quote from: Fan1958 on October 30, 2015, 10:31:29 pm
Doesn't matter the level of your intelligence, the number of degrees you earned or the amount of money you make when you consistently use "your" when the proper spelling is "you're" based on the context.  Intelligent, educated folks will always have questions about you, whether the misuse is on a message board or in a doctoral thesis.

Now, to the kids. These weren't "mistakes". A mistake is marking "C" when you intended to mark "A". A mistake is picking up the keys to the Jeep when you meant to pick up the keys to the Silverado.  To pass bogus bills numerous times and to buy a dollar pack of gum and pay for it with a fake C note to receive clean change in return are conscious decisions that carry serious consequences.

Thanks for the advice.  I can tell your definitely one of those intelligent people I should try to impress on a message board.  Your definitely going places in life with such great message board grammar.  Your the man!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: -Blu on October 30, 2015, 10:57:48 pm
Thanks for the advice.  I can tell your definitely one of those intelligent people I should try to impress on a message board.  Your definitely going places in life with such great message board grammar.  Your the man!
If you want to sound tough and smart, learn the difference between you, your, and you're.  Please.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on October 31, 2015, 09:55:08 pm
If you want to sound tough and smart, learn the difference between you, your, and you're.  Please.

He's being sarcastic I believe...

Hog_Swanson

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

-Blu

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on October 31, 2015, 09:55:08 pm

I don't want to sound tough or smart, I want to talk about basketball.  And for everyone that my grammar bothers, please put me on ignore, and shut up.  Who turns a sports message board into a grammar discussion, who cares lol.  I know the difference between your and you're, learned that probably in the 3rd grade.  And if I didn't know the difference, does it matter?  Did I miss the grammar test to discuss basketball?

And what's funny, we got 1 guy with an avatar of Spongebob and another guy with an avatar of Ron Swanson talking about looking intelligent.  No offense, but you guys definitely seem like the type of guys I don't want to impress.  But, thanks for the advice.

PonderinHog

Quote from: -Blu on October 31, 2015, 10:19:24 pm
I don't want to sound tough or smart, I want to talk about basketball.  And for everyone that my grammar bothers, please put me on ignore, and shut up.  Who turns a sports message board into a grammar discussion, who cares lol.  I know the difference between your and you're, learned that probably in the 3rd grade.  And if I didn't know the difference, does it matter?  Did I miss the grammar test to discuss basketball?

And what's funny, we got 1 guy with an avatar of Spongebob and another guy with an avatar of Ron Swanson talking about looking intelligent.  No offense, but you guys definitely seem like the type of guys I don't want to impress.  But, thanks for the advice.
Your welcome.

Big Nasty 34

TexomaRazorback

The legal system is designed to make money for lawyers.  It will be at least 1.5 years before there is the initial verdict so the attorneys have lots of time to make big money off their clients. I know, I have had custody of my grandchild for 8 years and been to court 3 times.  It takes about 2.5 years per court suit. I have spent >60$K on attorney fees.  I have to wonder where Anton is getting the money for representation.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on November 03, 2015, 08:09:32 pm
The legal system is designed to make money for lawyers.  It will be at least 1.5 years before there is the initial verdict so the attorneys have lots of time to make big money off their clients. I know, I have had custody of my grandchild for 8 years and been to court 3 times.  It takes about 2.5 years per court suit. I have spent >60$K on attorney fees.  I have to wonder where Anton is getting the money for representation.
According to some, his uncle just prints it off.  Keep up man.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on November 03, 2015, 08:09:32 pm

A lot of criminal defense attorneys charge a lump sum for representation, so the bill is the same regardless of how long it takes.