Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Veteran Employers in Arkansas

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, February 27, 2015, 09:15:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

I'm getting ready to transition after 20 years. Just throwing out a feeler for good employers of veterans in Arkansas. I don't want to move somewhere away from the family, as I have small children. I have a decent resume created and would appreciate any guidance anyone has.
This is my non-signature signature.

Flying Razorback

Anything on the Air Base or Camp Robinson is going to have preferred veteran hiring.  But I'm not much use to you outside of that because I'm just starting to wonder what the real world looks like. 

Have you checked out USAJobs?  Or do you want to stay away from defense related positions?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Flying Razorback on February 27, 2015, 05:01:35 pm
Anything on the Air Base or Camp Robinson is going to have preferred veteran hiring.  But I'm not much use to you outside of that because I'm just starting to wonder what the real world looks like. 

Have you checked out USAJobs?  Or do you want to stay away from defense related positions?

A lot of the jobs on Camp Robinson require ARNG commitment. I'm a Bradley Master Gunner and would easily qualify for any job at range control up to and including being the Chief of the range division.

USAJobs doesn't have anything I qualify for. I may end up going back to school.

PEtrader

Wal-Mart corporate has a large amount of veteran associates,  and are very serious about hiring vets.  Positions for all different types of skill sets. 

Half my wife's team are vets,  and the pay is good.

If i was transitioning out and thinking about school,  I would work at a store while going school and to transfer to the home office.  You get credit for those years at the store in your benefits,  and it's a great way to have a stable 6 figure career very close to Hog games.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Flying Razorback

Quote from: PEtrader on March 01, 2015, 02:57:45 pm
Wal-Mart corporate has a large amount of veteran associates,  and are very serious about hiring vets.  Positions for all different types of skill sets. 

That's somewhere I have looked as well.  Then and Sam's Club corporate.   You could do worse than raise a family in Bentonville right now.  It's getting very nice up there.

PEtrader

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 01, 2015, 03:00:15 pm
That's somewhere I have looked as well.  Then and Sam's Club corporate.   You could do worse than raise a family in Bentonville right now.  It's getting very nice up there.

Lots of pilot jobs as well. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

Quote from: Flying Razorback on March 01, 2015, 03:00:15 pm

It's easier if you know people here,  but once you are in,  very good company to move up in.  My wife has been there since college,  and is at 6 figures after 6 years at 30 years old.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: PEtrader on March 01, 2015, 03:03:39 pm
It's easier if you know people here,  but once you are in,  very good company to move up in.  My wife has been there since college,  and is at 6 figures after 6 years at 30 years old.

Yeah, since I have some time left I'm trying to explore my options as much as possible and am not ready to commit myself to an airline career on the outside.  I'd like to stay and fly in the reserves to get my flying kick out of my system and get in a company that I can move up in.  I'm not ready to give up on the idea that I could find a job that would let me move up and be more successful the harder I work.

That's the most frustrating part about the Air Force to me, no matter how smart/talented you are there is no chance for progression besides on the exact same path and ladder as everyone else.  The airlines is the same way since you just hold your line number and move up when it's your time.

Maybe that wouldn't be as bad in the airlines since there's no way to improve your line number so you can just accept who you are, show up to work and fly, and enjoy your days off.

Flying Razorback

But my brother in law has been moving pretty well in Wal Mart corporate accounting and I have some friends from high school working in the Sams Club corporate side.

However, joining those companies you're definitely working for "the man" and part of the big machine in this world.

Pork Twain

Outside of contractor and government jobs, I have heard that Costco, Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart/Sams are good for veterans.  I just crossed 20 in November and will probably end up retiring here in Charlottesville at 24.  I am looking to stay within the sector I have been in for 20+, intelligence, and I know there are no jobs for me in Arkansas, but plenty around Virginia, Ohio, Texass and Baltimore.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

CPO Hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 03, 2015, 11:02:08 am
Outside of contractor and government jobs, I have heard that Costco, Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart/Sams are good for veterans.  I just crossed 20 in November and will probably end up retiring here in Charlottesville at 24.  I am looking to stay within the sector I have been in for 20+, intelligence, and I know there are no jobs for me in Arkansas, but plenty around Virginia, Ohio, Texass and Baltimore.
Check out GDIT. Find something you like PM me.

SouthSide Johnny

Arkansas State Police is always looking for Veteran recruits, you Must be in TOP physical shape, hiring process usually takes about 6 to 9 months. 
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on March 05, 2015, 10:53:11 am
Arkansas State Police is always looking for Veteran recruits, you Must be in TOP physical shape, hiring process usually takes about 6 to 9 months.

I've seen a few State Troopers that weren't in the best of shape. But no, I am not putting myself in position to be shot at again after I retire. Had enough of that in the last 13 years. I have too many medical problems to put myself thru that.

Chuck Boarris

I'm starting to look at my options as well. I still have 5 years before I retire, but I'm hoping to find a VA job somewhere in Fort Smith.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 05, 2015, 12:07:36 pm
I've seen a few State Troopers that weren't in the best of shape. But no, I am not putting myself in position to be shot at again after I retire. Had enough of that in the last 13 years. I have too many medical problems to put myself thru that.

A few not many, But they where in excellent shape going through the academy or they wouldn't have made it through in Arkansas. I have no relevant knowledge of other states.  Understand the out of shot range.. Lot of People now days have No respect for life or law.  My son says it's a calling not a job.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on March 05, 2015, 12:30:09 pm
A few not many, But they where in excellent shape going through the academy or they wouldn't have made it through in Arkansas. I have no relevant knowledge of other states.  Understand the out of shot range.. Lot of People now days have No respect for life or law.  My son says it's a calling not a job.

I lived my calling in public service for the last 20. Missing birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases, thanksgivings, terminally ill family members last moments on earth. There is a time when you have "done enough". I want to enjoy my family and be an everyday citizen, I like to think I've earned it.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 08, 2015, 12:50:30 pm
I lived my calling in public service for the last 20. Missing birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases, thanksgivings, terminally ill family members last moments on earth. There is a time when you have "done enough". I want to enjoy my family and be an everyday citizen, I like to think I've earned it.

That was the gist of my "hitting the wall" thread. Missing too many important life milestones with my family. I will do 8 more years and then retire to Van Buren and try to makeup the lost time to my wife and kids, one who will be an adult in 8 years.

I feel what you're saying. When civilians complain about our 20 year retirement plan, I get a bit testy as there is no way they could understand how that retirement is earned.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Chief on March 08, 2015, 07:55:58 pm
That was the gist of my "hitting the wall" thread. Missing too many important life milestones with my family. I will do 8 more years and then retire to Van Buren and try to makeup the lost time to my wife and kids, one who will be an adult in 8 years.

I feel what you're saying. When civilians complain about our 20 year retirement plan, I get a bit testy as there is no way they could understand how that retirement is earned.

Went to a briefing where they said it's not officially considered retirement pay. More like a lifetime retainer. Sounded so asinine that I just started nodding off and didn't pay any attention to her again

Boll Hawg

Quote from: SouthSide Johnny on March 05, 2015, 10:53:11 am

Been there, done that.  Their physical agility test is an absolute joke.  Unless you know someone already working within their ranks don't bother applying.  It's very political.  And that's not just sour grapes on my part.  They've hired some billy bobs that barely graduated from high school over very well qualified college graduates and veterans.     
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Boll Hawg on March 11, 2015, 08:48:28 am
Been there, done that.  Their physical agility test is an absolute joke.  Unless you know someone already working within their ranks don't bother applying.  It's very political.  And that's not just sour grapes on my part.  They've hired some billy bobs that barely graduated from high school over very well qualified college graduates and veterans.     

Yep sour grapes, the physical qualifying test is minimal and easy, the physical demands of their academy is very demanding.  Out of roughly 800-1000  avg of applicants that apply only around 30 to 35 get offered with about 15 alternates, out of that total number 40% actually graduate.

Most don't pass intense background, Arkansas doesn't have a education requirement other than a High School or GED diploma.   

hawgrunner

Quote from: PEtrader on March 01, 2015, 02:57:45 pm

Half my wife's team are vets,  and the pay is good.

If i was transitioning out and thinking about school,  I would work at a store while going school and to transfer to the home office.  You get credit for those years at the store in your benefits,  and it's a great way to have a stable 6 figure career very close to Hog games.

I love this idea, but even upper 5's would work for me. 2017 will be when I'll be looking hard for work in NWA.

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 03, 2015, 11:02:08 am

I feel I may have some what of the same issue here. My time in the navy, then contractor, and now as Fed Employee for the Navy. Getting back home to Arkansas after 28 years is not going to be easy.

Pork Twain

I am now retired and a defense contractor in the same building I retired from.  People need to get their degrees while they are in.  I have several friends that are retiring with nothing other than their associates and you are just making it so much harder on yourself.  100% TA makes it so easy and if it is important to you, you will make time and this should be very important to anyone who serves.

https://www.usajobs.gov/

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?chnl=Jobs-USA&utm_source=publisher&utm_medium=organic_listings&utm_campaign=affiliate

https://www.clearancejobs.com/
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2016, 11:35:58 am
I am now retired and a defense contractor in the same building I retired from.  People need to get their degrees while they are in.  I have several friends that are retiring with nothing other than their associates and you are just making it so much harder on yourself.  100% TA makes it so easy and if it is important to you, you will make time and this should be very important to anyone who serves.

https://www.usajobs.gov/

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?chnl=Jobs-USA&utm_source=publisher&utm_medium=organic_listings&utm_campaign=affiliate

https://www.clearancejobs.com/

As for the degree thing, absolutely.  I'm five classes shy of my bachelor's degree in BA and am kicking myself for not doing this earlier in my career.  I've been steadily knocking out classes two at a time for the last few years.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

AirForceHog

So very true. I get it I'm Air Force and I do understand the level of service is different but missing holidays, birthdays and YEARS of separation is the same. Thank you all for you service and sacrifice.

Also I will be retired in a year and the only options I see to make a decent living with 2 associates is Wal-Mart. ugh. I guess back to school I go.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Pork Twain

Those that complain the loudest would cry like a baby on Survivor after being away from their family for a week.

hawgrunner

Quote from: The Chief on January 04, 2016, 01:22:42 pm
As for the degree thing, absolutely.  I'm five classes shy of my bachelor's degree in BA and am kicking myself for not doing this earlier in my career.  I've been steadily knocking out classes two at a time for the last few years.

Good Job!

kodiakisland

Honestly, what you have to offer the company is more important than being hired because you're a veteran.  Plenty of companies try to give a veteran preference for low wage, entry level jobs.  That's not what most retiring military members need.  You will probably get farther on your skills and education than you will on your DD214.

That said, any federal job is a good deal.  You get to count your military time toward time in service and earn higher leave and quicker civilian retirement.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 13, 2016, 11:34:09 pm
Honestly, what you have to offer the company is more important than being hired because you're a veteran.  Plenty of companies try to give a veteran preference for low wage, entry level jobs.  That's not what most retiring military members need.  You will probably get farther on your skills and education than you will on your DD214.

That said, any federal job is a good deal.  You get to count your military time toward time in service and earn higher leave and quicker civilian retirement.

This ^ Do your skills translate to civilian market and favorable in direct competition with others including other veterans.  Being a veteran will get you a look nothing more. having worked for USPS being a veteran gets a additional 5 points on the qualifying test a disability vet gets you 10 points, the interview by the hiring manager is the final say.   

It's a very very competitive for job seekers and company have a abundance of quality applicants for positions, check your social media, credit reports, police reports including traffic tickets, more companies especially larger with better pay use these to get the cream,  Most jobs your going to get entry level pay to start regardless of experience or training/education. Because they can..   

AirForceHog

I looked at my SURF today. Air Force form for all your job titles, qualifications, degrees, awards, specialty codes...yada yada.

I actually have a nice resume. I hope I can write it to make a civilian employer want to hire me.

Pork Twain

January 15, 2016, 06:32:34 am #30 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:47:10 am by Pork Twain
I just went through the process and a cover letter/resume class and was hired four months before I could start working, so I guess they did a good job editing my crap.

These are by NO means expert, but they are a good starting point, nothing more.  Hopefully they can help one of you.

The main thing that was stressed to me is to put the meat up front and make them want to keep reading about why they should hire you. 

Have any transcripts that you might want to submit as well as your DD214.

I can email these in a word doc that you can edit if anyone is interested.

HoGFromTheStart

I have been off of active duty now for a little over a year. I was living in Fort Smith and after realizing there was no hope of finding a good job, I decided to use my GI Bill. Now once i get my degree i may be back in the same position. All of those companies act Veteran friendly but never seem to be hiring. Good Luck to any of you coming to the real world. The pay sucks!
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

Pork Twain

January 25, 2016, 12:53:14 pm #32 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:34:39 pm by Pork Twain
I do not think anyone is "acting" Vet friendly, but there are only so many jobs.  A problem I have seen time and time again is that Vets are not preparing themselves for life after the military and often get out thinking there should be jobs waiting for them (personal experience, not talking about anyone on here).  That just cannot be the case in our current economic landscape.  If you do not get out with a degree, you should expect to be looked at very similarly as someone that just graduated high school and took a couple of vo-tech classes.

kodiakisland

Quote from: HoGFromTheStart on January 20, 2016, 01:13:40 pm
     I have been off of active duty now for a little over a year. I was living in Fort Smith and after realizing there was no hope of finding a good job, I decided to use my GI Bill. Now once i get my degree i may be back in the same position. All of those companies act Veteran friendly but never seem to be hiring. Good Luck to any of you coming to the real world. The pay sucks!

You really shouldn't be in the same position.  Hopefully you did a little research before you went back to school to get a degree that has jobs.  The days are long gone when any degree would get you a decent job.  There are plenty of people hiring, you just need to be in those fields.  I'm not sure what "acting" vet friendly is, but a company needs qualified employees.  Just because you wore a uniform doesn't mean someone should hire you.  Private companies don't owe anything to veterans.  Good luck in school.  Hopefully you'll find a much better market for your services once you get done.  As far as the pay, it depends. I have two brother in laws who left the army and immediately had jobs paying 2-3 times their military salary.  I'm in the reserves now and take a huge pay cut whenever I go back on active duty.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

BirmingHam

Any vet coming to NW Ark needs to get in touch with "VA VetSuccess on Campus Counselor" @ UofA Mon, Tues, Fri 479-575-8731 and @ NWACC Wed and Fri 479-986-6619.  Guy I talked to knows alot about all the VA/gov can give you with job/school help.  He helped me after my plant was closed, and I've been out of the AF since 92.  New discharges qualify for quite a few programs.

hawgrunner

Quote from: BirmingHam on May 13, 2016, 08:21:17 pm
Any vet coming to NW Ark needs to get in touch with "VA VetSuccess on Campus Counselor" @ UofA Mon, Tues, Fri 479-575-8731 and @ NWACC Wed and Fri 479-986-6619.  Guy I talked to knows alot about all the VA/gov can give you with job/school help.  He helped me after my plant was closed, and I've been out of the AF since 92.  New discharges qualify for quite a few programs.

Good info.

MountieDawg

Not sure what part of Arkansas you live in but I know the Benton County Veteran Services Office always knows what companies are looking to hire vets.  In NWA I know Walmart and JB Hunt have a program to hire Vets.
SEC!

BirmingHam

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 16, 2016, 08:58:20 am
Not sure what part of Arkansas you live in but I know the Benton County Veteran Services Office always knows what companies are looking to hire vets.  In NWA I know Walmart and JB Hunt have a program to hire Vets.

You can include Tysons in the vet to hire programs.  There is also several trucking companies who will train vets in getting a CDL, they love vets.

Großer Kriegschwein

On the hunt for employment with my terminal leave starting in 2-weeks. Been a whole lot of networking but these are the jobs in order of likelihood.

1) Manuever Analyst with Cubic Military Division at Fort Polk (next door neighbor is a mid-level manager)
2) Training Complex Supervisor (civil service GS-11) position at Rodriguez Live Fire Complex in Korea.
3) Training Complex Manager (developmental GS-11/12) at an unnamed training complex overseas.
4) Range Technician at Fort Chaffee for Lockheed Martin.
5) Training Complex Manager position with a contractor at Fort Hood, TX.
6) Range Operations Officer (1 year Term GS-12 position) in Hawthorne, NV.
7) Range Inspection Technician at the USMC Mountain Warfare School in Bridgeport, CA.

Been working hard on the ole resume. On #2, I made the CPAC cut into the final 46 from initially 275 that applied. Looking good so far. If I make it to the interview phase, I'll get hired.

OutlawHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 16, 2016, 04:53:27 pm
On the hunt for employment with my terminal leave starting in 2-weeks. Been a whole lot of networking but these are the jobs in order of likelihood.

1) Manuever Analyst with Cubic Military Division at Fort Polk (next door neighbor is a mid-level manager)
2) Training Complex Supervisor (civil service GS-11) position at Rodriguez Live Fire Complex in Korea.
3) Training Complex Manager (developmental GS-11/12) at an unnamed training complex overseas.
7) Range Inspection Technician at the USMC Mountain Warfare School in Bridgeport, CA.

Been working hard on the ole resume. On #2, I made the CPAC cut into the final 46 from initially 275 that applied. Looking good so far. If I make it to the interview phase, I'll get hired.

To each his own but my vision of retirement sure as hell doesn't involve Rod Range.

AirForceHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 16, 2016, 04:53:27 pm

One month behind you brother.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 22, 2016, 09:00:14 pm
To each his own but my vision of retirement sure as hell doesn't involve Rod Range.

It does if you're running it.

But I've accepted a job with Cubic here for the near term. Pay is ok, could be better. But still waiting on my interview from Korea

OutlawHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 28, 2016, 09:44:42 pm
It does if you're running it.

But I've accepted a job with Cubic here for the near term. Pay is ok, could be better. But still waiting on my interview from Korea

Point taken. I guess my memories of Rod Range in the dead of winter differ to what your experiences and pay would be. Whatever you decide - congrats on the retirement! Hope you get a rewarding job and get plenty of time to spend with family and friends.

BirmingHam

Hiring in Fayetteville, AR:

Part time Facilities Maintenance = 20 hours a week, $15/hr, could lead into full time in future
Test Cell Lead - must have electronics background, will lead a small team that tests electronics that are produced in plant
Quality Control Technician - Quality control background or electronics background

Delta Group Electronics - right off Wedington Drive

Contact:  Jim Lee (Former avionics tech in AF), 479-442-3450 or jlee@deltagroupinc.com

AirForceHog

Any full time salary positions open? I will be separating this week and looking to move back by the end of the month

BirmingHam

Quote from: AirForceHog on October 03, 2016, 10:22:34 pm
Any full time salary positions open? I will be separating this week and looking to move back by the end of the month

At this point they are all hourly.  But, we are starting to expand; so there could be in the future.  You can see the building just south of the Wedington exit on I-49 off the frontage road.  Come by and ask for me and I'll give you a tour.  General Mgr is retired MSgt (AF), I served AF; so we're looking for military experience.  Also, if you're coming back into the area, go see Brian Burgess at the VA VetforSuccess Counselor.  E-mail me and I'll give you the info, cause I have it at work.

Hudge

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 25, 2016, 12:53:14 pm
I do not think anyone is "acting" Vet friendly, but there are only so many jobs.  A problem I have seen time and time again is that Vets are not preparing themselves for life after the military and often get out thinking there should be jobs waiting for them (personal experience, not talking about anyone on here).  That just cannot be the case in our current economic landscape.  If you do not get out with a degree, you should expect to be looked at very similarly as someone that just graduated high school and took a couple of vo-tech classes.

While I agree a lot with this, part of it is the state of Arkansas itself and how it looks at vets.  My wife was on a committee while at LRAFB for a short time that consisted of base leadership, state agencies, and local businesses to get them interested in hiring vets.  Vets were the number one population in the state (roughly 2009 time period) that had at least some education, training or some sort or the other, and drug free, that was either unemployed or underemployed in the state of Arkansas.  Oklahoma has a work placement for veterans that many local DoD officials at LRAFB were trying to push to the state, but they would not get on board with it.  She said it was frustrating at how many companies kept saying they were taking work away form other Arkansans, as retired and disabled veterans were already getting a pay check from their time in, and that didn't feel that was right.  Either way, get your education while your in, I will never regret finishing my BA, getting a BS, and my MBA while in. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

The State of Arkansas, while my home, is a terrible state from the viewpoint of working, taxes, and veteran issues.

I have 40 acres of land in Arkansas that I can build a home with and my wife and I are contemplating living somewhere else like Florida.  Arkansas gives no incentive for opportunity.  Arkansas taxes its residents out of economic growth.  Sales tax, property tax, state income tax, etc. is higher than other states whose economies are growing and providing lucrative opportunity for veterans and non-veterans, alike.

Case in point:  Why should I move back to Arkansas when I will be punished with a high sales tax when I buy real property/vehicles, then pay annual property tax for being successful and owning property, and then allow the state to tax my income that I've earned and also the unearned income I've made through investments? 

Florida, Texas, and Tennessee have no state income tax.  At least they can justify their property taxes.  See my point, Arkansas?

Sorry, got on a rant after vacationing for Christmas in Van Buren, AR, where the population has outgrown the infrastructure and the city council has no plans to solve the problem.  Also, the city council has no plans for economic growth as they allow small Alma, AR, to land retail stores such as Atwoods.  It blows my mind.

hawgrunner

Quote from: The Chief on January 02, 2017, 04:54:28 pm
Case in point:  Why should I move back to Arkansas when I will be punished with a high sales tax when I buy real property/vehicles, then pay annual property tax for being successful and owning property, and then allow the state to tax my income that I've earned and also the unearned income I've made through investments? 

Better than here in Southern Cal.

Ragnar Hogbrok