Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NASDAQ Investor Validity, Special for RicePig

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, November 30, 2016, 09:05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Masshog on January 24, 2017, 09:01:57 pm
Crickets only because I told you I was done in my last post. As for my credibility anyone can go read any of the hundreds of posts I have made in this forum and decide who has credibility. Now I'm done... Oh, and guys, if he eventually tries to sell you something, get statements.
I have nothing for sale other than some of that ocean front property in Arizona to your faithful followers.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 25, 2017, 09:50:05 am
I have nothing for sale other than some of that ocean front property in Arizona to your faithful followers.

You do know the icebergs are melting and the ocean's level is rising, so one may need to get in on the ground floor for this property, prospectus coming soon!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 10:15:19 am
You do know the icebergs are melting and the ocean's level is rising, so one may need to get in on the ground floor for this property, prospectus coming soon!
Thanks for the tip, RP! Count me in for 1/2 my portfolio!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Masshog on January 21, 2017, 05:47:41 pm
Like I said guys....  Statements or fingers in ears.  And actually, even if he did produce statements, this guys attitude toward trading and investing is the opposite of professional.

As I re-read this post, I wondered exactly how my "attitude towards investing is the opposite of professional"? To quote Warren Buffett, success in trading stocks comes by his simple formula, "Buy low and sell high", which is my exact "attitude towards investing".

So, Masshog, if you care to bury the hatchet regarding our recent girly type useless exchange of comments, please explain to me how my simple copied from Buffett method is opposite from professional? Maybe you can teach me something I have yet to learn. I am always open to a good educational experience, especially when it concerns my money.

Masshog

I was already thinking of offering an apology. I am a cynical old bastard. In fact, I often describe my job as being a professional cynic. At any rate I presumed motive and after looking at your other posts decided I was probably wrong to have done so. 

Frankly, nearly forty years in the financial world, have left me with a very jaundiced view of people posting trades.  There is almost always an ulterior motive.  I jumped to a conclusion (one of the things I constantly caution my young traders not to do) and you suffered for it. 

Too tired now to comment on things in your posts that I found worrisome. I am traveling next week but will have the discussion when I return. 

My feets hurt.

BigBrandonAllenFan

January 27, 2017, 08:29:53 am #55 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:41:54 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: Masshog on January 26, 2017, 08:49:23 pm
I was already thinking of offering an apology. I am a cynical old bastard. In fact, I often describe my job as being a professional cynic. At any rate I presumed motive and after looking at your other posts decided I was probably wrong to have done so. 

Frankly, nearly forty years in the financial world, have left me with a very jaundiced view of people posting trades.  There is almost always an ulterior motive.  I jumped to a conclusion (one of the things I constantly caution my young traders not to do) and you suffered for it. 

Too tired now to comment on things in your posts that I found worrisome. I am traveling next week but will have the discussion when I return.

Very cool, Masshog. I have read many of your posts and checked out financial blogs that you have linked.  I apologize for my rude response. I have a tendency to bite back too often rather than take the humble route. It's a flaw but I'm working on it.  I look forward to a productive dialogue. Im trying to retire before I am 80 years old and I'm fast approaching 60.  I'm just a simple psychiatric registered nurse working for a living and trying to learn something new everyday.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 27, 2017, 08:29:53 am
Very cool, Masshog. I have read many of your posts and checked out financial blogs that you have linked.  I apologize for my rude response. I have a tendency to bite back too often rather than take the humble route. It's a flaw but I'm working on it.  I look forward to a productive dialogue. Im trying to retire before I am 80 years old and I'm fast approaching 60.  I'm just a simple psychiatric registered nurse working for a living and trying to learn something new everyday.

You may be to close to your patients.....

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 09:55:12 am
You may be to close to your patients.....

Lol. Yeah. We often mention it is only about 3 feet to the opposite side of the desk.

Actually, my work personality is much the opposite of my online personality. There is  absolutely no place for brashness in psychiatric care.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 03, 2017, 11:42:10 am
...Also purchasing two other funds today 1/3/16 with 7% of portfolio going to each>

FSAVX (Fidelity Select Automotive) on news GM scraps 1.7 billion plans for Mexico production facility and will now add 700 jobs in Detroit.  And the stock is low priced right now per the 3 year average price.

FBIOX (Fidelity Select Biotech).  It is just priced too low and has bottomed out per my read of the 1 year graph.

I just put in a sell for today on both of these funds that I bought on 1/3/16 as quoted above.  I get today's closing price.  As of yesterday, I'm up about 7% on biotech Fbiox and 3 3/4% on automotive Fsavx.  I'm past the 29 day early redemption fee period.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 03, 2017, 08:49:04 pm
My paid per share prices were:

FSAVX @ $35.54 per share

FBIOX @ $175.92 per share.

Sold FSVAX at $36.77 per share today.  +3.6% in 30 days.  Had 7% of port invested.

https://www.google.com/#q=fsavx

Sold FBIOX at $186.02 per share today.  +5.7% in 30 days.  Had 7% of port invested.

https://www.google.com/#q=fbiox

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 02, 2017, 10:03:47 pm
Sold FSVAX at $36.77 per share today.  +3.6% in 30 days.  Had 7% of port invested.

https://www.google.com/#q=fsavx

Sold FBIOX at $186.02 per share today.  +5.7% in 30 days.  Had 7% of port invested.

https://www.google.com/#q=fbiox
You don't have to post a statement, but why not post your whole portfolio? You can keep it updated throughout the year.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: golf2day on February 03, 2017, 05:44:26 am
You don't have to post a statement, but why not post your whole portfolio? You can keep it updated throughout the year.
I have posted my whole portfolio. I started January 1 with 100 percent of my money in federal cash reserve. Everything I own was purchased on 1/3 and 1/13.all listed here in the thread. Every buy and subsequent sell I make in 2017 will be documented right here during trading hours the day of the trade.  I guess I could list a full key page when I sell so it is easier to track what I still hold.

BigBrandonAllenFan

February 03, 2017, 09:06:27 am #62 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:23:14 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Key Page (All info condensed and was already docked in thread)

1/1/2017:
FZFXX - Fidelity Treasury Money Market Fund (Federal cash reserve). 100% of portfolio.

Bought: 1/3/17
FPHAX - Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals....25% of portfolio....$17.33 per share.
Currently held

FSAVX - Fidelity Select Automotive...........7% of portfoilo.....$35.54 per share.
SOLD FSAVX on 2/2/17 @ $36.77 per share....3.6% profit. To Cash Reserve.

FBIOX - Fidelity Select Biotech.................7% of portfolio.....$175.92 per share.
SOLD FBIOX on 2/2/17 @ $186.02 per share....5.6% profit. To Cash Reserve.

Bought: 1/13/17
FDFAX - Fidelity Select Consumer Staples...........2.5% of portfolio....$90.43 per share.
Currently held

FGBFX - Fidelity Global Bond Fund.....................2.5% of portfloio....$8.68 per share.
Currently held

FIBAX - Fidelity Intermediate Treasury Bond Index....2.5% of portfolio....$10.67 per share.
Currently held

FINUX - Fidelity International Bond Fund................2.5% of portfolio....$8.23 per share.
Currently Held

2/3/17: Portfolio Balance now = 65% in Cash Reserve / 35% Invested

How is that, Golf2day?  This is straight out of my binder.  I'll just copy and paste the page as I update with transfers.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 03, 2017, 09:06:27 am
Key Page

FPHAX - Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals....25% of portfolio....$17.33 per share.

As for this buy, it dropped over 4% to 16.57 per share in the subsequent two weeks after I bought it. Not my best timing job. I was waiting for a full 5% drop and I would have doubled my investment, which automatically would leave me only 2.5% down on my full FPHAX investment.  But after Trump eased up on his "pharm ideology" last week, it has rebounded to 17.07 per share at yesterday's close.  I expect near a 1% increase again today.  IMO, it is a better buy now that when I bought.  The 1 year and 5 year charts are primed for a run to very near $20 per share in the next 60 days.

https://www.google.com/#q=fphax

BigBrandonAllenFan

Just put in a modest buy for today with 4% of portfolio for FHKCX - Fidelity China Region.  It has a 90 day early redemption fee of 1 1/2%. 

Key Page UPDATED>

1/1/2017:
FZFXX - Fidelity Treasury Money Market Fund (Federal cash reserve). 100% of portfolio.

Currently held

FSAVX - Fidelity Select Automotive...........7% of portfoilo.....$35.54 per share.

FBIOX - Fidelity Select Biotech.................7% of portfolio.....$175.92 per share.

FDFAX - Fidelity Select Consumer Staples...........2.5% of portfolio....$90.43 per share.
Currently held

FGBFX - Fidelity Global Bond Fund.....................2.5% of portfloio....$8.68 per share.
Currently held

FIBAX - Fidelity Intermediate Treasury Bond Index....2.5% of portfolio....$10.67 per share.
Currently held

FINUX - Fidelity International Bond Fund................2.5% of portfolio....$8.23 per share.
Currently Held
Bought: 2/3/17
FHKCX - Fidelity China Region..............................4% of portfolio....?? per share...Get today's closing price.
Buying today

2/3/17: Portfolio Balance now = 61% in Cash Reserve / 39% Invested

HawgWild

BBAF, do you do your own taxes? Just curious how involved this is with all this trading. Have you ever had a Long term capitol gain? 

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on February 03, 2017, 04:15:53 pm
BBAF, do you do your own taxes? Just curious how involved this is with all this trading. Have you ever had a Long term capitol gain? 

Dumb question, but would it matter in his IRA? I know my son and I were talking about a stock, TCAP or ARI, can't remember which and I questioned him about some of the dividend that was a capital gain. He said it would've matter in his IRA.

HawgWild

I wasn't thinking IRA but what if it was a traditional IRA. How would you keep up with all this trading when you started making withdrawals?

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on February 03, 2017, 05:25:33 pm
I wasn't thinking IRA but what if it was a traditional IRA. How would you keep up with all this trading when you started making withdrawals?

Don't ask me, I pay around $5000 a year to my CPA to keep that straight.

je100

Quote from: HawgWild on February 03, 2017, 05:25:33 pm

It's all taxable when you make withdrawals, so you don't have to keep track of anything.  One downside of qualified accounts is that they turn would-be LTCG into ordinary income.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: HawgWild on February 03, 2017, 04:15:53 pm

I did for lots of years, but now H&R is just more economical than doing it myself.  My retirement account is a 403b pretax.  Tax does not come out until eligible withdrawal at 59 1/2 y/o, all that long term capital gain stuff gets figured in there as to just how much they decide to give me and just how much they need to fill up Air Force One. 
I can take out a loan against the acct and I just pay myself back monthly and the 3% interest rate I also pay to myself.  Fidelity charges a very minimal handling fee.  Pretty cool dealio.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on February 03, 2017, 12:23:35 pm
Just put in a modest buy for today with 4% of portfolio for FHKCX - Fidelity China Region.  It has a 90 day early redemption fee of 1 1/2%.

FHKCX
- Fidelity China Region..............................4% of portfolio....$25.52 per share.
Currently held

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/FHKCX?ltr=1

HawgWild

BigBrandonAllenFan

Key Page

I almost sold this fund today.  It is up near 5% since my buy, but I would have to pay a 3/4 percent early redemption fee for owning the fund less than 29 days.  Monday will be 29 days and I can save that 3/4 percent for myself.  So I'm going to hope it holds til Monday and sell then probably.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Key Page

Currently held

Just put in a sale for this fund today.  I have owned it 30 days and am now past the 29 day early redemption fee period. 

I am currently up 5% and the market is up again this morning in early trading.  I'll most always take 5% in 30 days and run.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I just put in a buy for Fidelity Select Gold (FSAGX) with a modest 3% of my portfolio.  The price of gold is down near 1 1/2% so far today, losing $18 per ounce down to $1233, so it is the day to buy, and I think I can get a 5% profit in 30 days or so.  I don't think gold prices are going through the floor, but rather think they will continue to approach $1300 per ounce in the very near future.  I may be wrong.  If the market were to suddenly turn shaky, Gold will jump like a bull frog... On that I am not wrong. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 02, 2017, 11:24:04 am
I just put in a buy for Fidelity Select Gold (FSAGX) with a modest 3% of my portfolio.  The price of gold is down near 1 1/2% so far today, losing $18 per ounce down to $1233, so it is the day to buy, and I think I can get a 5% profit in 30 days or so.  I don't think gold prices are going through the floor, but rather think they will continue to approach $1300 per ounce in the very near future.  I may be wrong.  If the market were to suddenly turn shaky, Gold will jump like a bull frog... On that I am not wrong.

As for the start, I may have made a well timed buy, as FSAGX (Fidelity's most volatile of the 220 funds from which I have option to buy) dropped 4.9% today.  Today's closing price is what I pay.  FSAGX closed at $20.20 per share.

I've been here before though.  FSAGX could sink another 6% and I'll have to double my investment, and then another 6% and have to double the total again.  A 3% of portfolio investment could turn to 12% if gold prices were to cascade downward.  I really don't think gold will take a big plunge.  I can even safely double again to 24% if necessary.  It is a win win for me.  If all else crashes, gold sky rockets., and sub $1200 gold isn't something that would last very long if it did drop there.

https://www.google.com/#q=fsagx&*

BigBrandonAllenFan

QuoteKey Page UPDATED>

1/1/2017:

Currently held

Sold FDFAX on 2/19/17 @$94.61 per share, 4.7% profit.  To Cash Reserve.

Currently held

Currently held

Currently Held
FHKCX - Fidelity China Region..............................4% of portfolio....$25.52 per share...
Currently Held
Bought: 3/2/17
FSAGX - Fidelity Select Gold Portfolio....................3% of portfolio....$20.20 per share
Currently Held

3/2/17: Portfolio Balance now = 61% in Cash Reserve / 39% Invested

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 02, 2017, 05:24:49 pm
Ok RP... 

I just put in a buy for FPHAX (Fidelity Select Pharmaceuticals) for 25% of my portfolio.  The buy will not finalize until close of market tomorrow, Tuesday 1/3/17.  I will get tomorrow's closing price as my buying cost. 

After taking a quick 4 1/2% drop, now, in 60 days I sit ahead a full 6% on this investment as of today.  I'm holding for at least 10%, which I figure will happen in another 30 days.

https://www.google.com/#q=fphax&*

BigBrandonAllenFan

Buying FSENX today (Fidelity Select Energy).  3% of portfolio invested.  Get today's closing price.  I'm think we will see nearer $60 per bbl for crude by late spring with the spring shut downs at the gas plants for maintenance coming up. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 07, 2017, 09:24:36 am
Buying FSENX today (Fidelity Select Energy).  3% of portfolio invested.  Get today's closing price.  I'm think we will see nearer $60 per bbl for crude by late spring with the spring shut downs at the gas plants for maintenance coming up.
Perhaps; the interesting thing as this point is that with a huge number of U.S. shale producers having come back on line, and more to come, the supply of oil ain't exactly dropping sharply and that's even with OPEC supposedly adhering to their production quotas (always subject to a huge doubt).  The one thing that's going to continue plaguing the Saudis and other OPEC members is the breakeven point for U.S. producers has fallen into the $30-40 area. That's lower than many of the foreign producers can manage. And that's not counting that the U.S. of A. is now sitting on the world's largest reserve of oil (if one includes shale). One last thing: despite what some might think the use of gasoline in the U.S. is NOT increasing; in fact, it's recently been coming steadily downward. Will we see $60 oil over the next month or so? Wouldn't be shocked to see it; after all, we're not that terribly far away from that level as we speak, however, short of some type of military/political crises impacting the Middle East getting much above that would be a stretch IMO.

Vantage 8 dude

March 07, 2017, 05:28:04 pm #83 Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:47:41 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 26, 2017, 03:14:15 pm
As I re-read this post, I wondered exactly how my "attitude towards investing is the opposite of professional"? To quote Warren Buffett, success in trading stocks comes by his simple formula, "Buy low and sell high", which is my exact "attitude towards investing".

So, Masshog, if you care to bury the hatchet regarding our recent girly type useless exchange of comments, please explain to me how my simple copied from Buffett method is opposite from professional? Maybe you can teach me something I have yet to learn. I am always open to a good educational experience, especially when it concerns my money.
I have no doubt that "buying low, selling high (or higher)" works...duh! The billion $ question, in deference to Mr. Buffett, is WHEN is the investment low enough in price? Remember one sure thing: unless a stock is sitting at zero it can always go lower. BTW when you make a trade for a gain be happy with it, even if the stock goes higher. Consider that someone obviously sold the stock to you and had to forego that additional rise between the time you bought and sold. And yes, the old saying of "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs go to the slaughter house" is a good one to remember. I've seen a HUGE amount of money lost over the years by our natural desire to squeeze every last dime out of a trade (the infamous greed factor). Remember that for every reason a stock MIGHT go up, there's at least another one for the price to drop. 

One additional wisdom that Warren B. is often fond of quoting: "In a rising market the price of most stocks tend to rise with the tide. It's only during the downturns when the tide goes out do we discover which investments are really naked" (not worth their current market value)". Hummm.......interesting observation indeed.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 07, 2017, 05:28:04 pm
I have no doubt that "buying low, selling high (or higher)" works...duh! The billion $ question, in deference to Mr. Buffett, is WHEN is the investment low enough in price? Remember one sure thing: unless a stock is sitting at zero it can always go lower. BTW when you make a trade for a gain be happy with it, even if the stock goes higher. Consider that someone obviously sold the stock to you and had to forego that additional rise between the time you bought and sold. And yes, the old saying of "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs go to the slaughter house" is a good one to remember. I seen a HUGE amount of money lost over the years by our natural desire to squeeze every last dime out of a trade (the infamous greed factor). Remember that for every reason a stock MIGHT go up, there's at least another one for the price to drop.

Boy, ain't that the truth. Like most farmers, I used futures to hedge my crops, so, since I was in the broker's office a lot, I traded some other commodities. Well, one year,so seems like it was in the 90's, I bought some sugar futures. Sugar was cheap, $.10/LB or so, anyway, it kept going south. My theory was, it can't go to zero, well, it got cheaper, and I wasn't giving up, lol. Finally, one day, my broker calls and says "you're about to get a rail car of sugar if you don't get out". I got out, took my loss, and learned my lesson.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 05:53:20 pm
Boy, ain't that the truth. Like most farmers, I used futures to hedge my crops, so, since I was in the broker's office a lot, I traded some other commodities. Well, one year,so seems like it was in the 90's, I bought some sugar futures. Sugar was cheap, $.10/LB or so, anyway, it kept going south. My theory was, it can't go to zero, well, it got cheaper, and I wasn't giving up, lol. Finally, one day, my broker calls and says "you're about to get a rail car of sugar if you don't get out". I got out, took my loss, and learned my lesson.
Unfortunately we stick around and "play the game" long enough and we will ALL eventually be on the wrong side of the trade. One of the worst mistakes (IMO) that many of us can make is to not admit a mistake/bad investment and limit our loss(es). One reason that besides having some type of upside price in mind I also have a limit to what loss I'm willing to accept. Folks tend to forget that it's far better to take a small loss, as much as we hate to do so, then to possibly let the sell off (possibly) worsen. Yep, I've found that the (hopefully) occasional loss is the price of anteing up to sit at that table called the "markets". It can also be one of our greatest teachers if we let the lesson(s) learned be our friend.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2017, 05:53:20 pm
Rice, too bad that you didn't have the insight that ole Hillary had back in the "day" when she made a total killing on some cattle futures. I often wondered that with her unerring and keen insight why she didn't just quit her day job and just trade for a living. I'm sure the oft rumored Tyson connection to the "tip" had NOTHING at all to do with her success.  ;) 8)

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 07, 2017, 06:00:19 pm
Unfortunately we stick around and "play the game" long enough and we will ALL eventually be on the wrong side of the trade. One of the worst mistakes (IMO) that many of us can make is to not admit a mistake/bad investment and limit our loss(es). One reason that besides having some type of upside price in mind I also have a limit to what loss I'm willing to accept. Folks tend to forget that it's far better to take a small loss, as much as we hate to do so, then to possibly let the sell off (possibly) worsen. Yep, I've found that the (hopefully) occasional loss is the price of anteing up to sit at that table called the "markets". It can also be one of our greatest teachers if we let the lesson(s) learned be our friend.

Yeah, win some, lose some. The most money I ever made speculating in commodities was in cotton future spreads on Oct-Dec cotton. I was able to buy a farm with that trade, haha. I had a little old lady that weighed about 90lbs dripping wet for my broker, she couldn't trade her own money, just couldn't handle the pressure, but she knew the markets, charts, and floor traders to make great recommendations.

Vantage 8 dude

Just a follow up on some personal thoughts I shared yesterday about oil prices. Wasn't sure whether or not you'd seen this information released today: Oil fell 5.4% today, its biggest daily loss in more than a year, after U.S. inventories rose for a ninth straight week. The 8.2 million barrel rise, was FOUR TIMES what analysts expected, and was no doubt a topic of conversation today in Houston, where producers from the U.S., Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Persian Gulf states were meeting to discuss the future of oil production.

As I mentioned yesterday, the improving oil field technology that has tremendously lowered the cost of shale-based oil in the U.S. (and lesser degree Canada) is really putting the hurt on OPEC. While many of those producers need anywhere
from low $60 to as high as $100-$120 oil just to break even, many shale producers are able to extract and make money with prices as low as upper $30 to low $40 a barrel oil.

One other thing: the market is apparently taking some note. In general the oil index and many of its equity components are rolling over from recent highs IF the index can't break through recent highs the party may be over, at least for the short run.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I dropped 3.7 percent the first day with FSENX. With oil dropping today too, My timing wasnt the best. But, today I'm buying back half my quick loss and doubling my investment from 3 percent of portfolio to 6 percent.

HawgWild

Double up, catch up as the old saying goes.  :)

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on March 09, 2017, 01:21:17 pm
Double up, catch up as the old saying goes.  :)

Some of my best trades were getting back to even!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 09, 2017, 09:22:15 am
I dropped 3.7 percent the first day with FSENX. With oil dropping today too, My timing wasnt the best. But, today I'm buying back half my quick loss and doubling my investment from 3 percent of portfolio to 6 percent.
Bon chance.

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 10, 2017, 01:24:38 am #93 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:56:09 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 09, 2017, 09:22:15 am

FSENX was up 0.4% for the day on my double up.  All in all, after my double, I now sit 1.65% down on total FSENX investment.  I like that a lot better than 3.7% down. 

The 3/7 buy was at 44.20 ps.  The 3/9 double up buy at 42.73 ps.  My average cost ps is 43.46, better known to me as my new break even point.  I can get that .73 cents back in one decent day.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 01:24:38 am
FSENX was up 0.4% for the day on my double up.  All in all, after my double, I now sit 1.65% down on total FSENX investment.  I like that a lot better than 3.7% down. 

The 3/7 buy was at 44.20 ps.  The 3/9 double up buy at 42.73 ps.  My average cost ps is 43.46, better know as my new break even point.  I can get that .73 cents back in one decent day.
As I said previously, bon chance.

BigBrandonAllenFan

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 02, 2017, 11:24:04 am

I am doubling this FSAGX investment from 3% to 6% of portfolio today, and again, in doing so I am buying back half of my current loss.  I'm currently down 3.8% on FSAGX and it appears gold may be bottoming at 1200.00  I hope so, but if gold continues to slide I can double to 12% to catch up if need be.

Vantage 8 dude

March 10, 2017, 01:44:04 pm #97 Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:41:45 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 01:06:49 pm
I am doubling this FSAGX investment from 3% to 6% of portfolio today, and again, in doing so I am buying back half of my current loss.  I'm currently down 3.8% on FSAGX and it appears gold may be bottoming at 1200.00  I hope so, but if gold continues to slide I can double to 12% to catch up if need be.
I would suspect that with the recent pullback in gold that we very well could see a near term recovery. However, one thing you might want to consider are some of the ETFs that cover various gold producers or "junior" gold miners. While they're not "no load" if you're using Fidelity or some other form of discount broker, the commission you might pay could be fairly low. The other potential advantages are that with the huge volatility these sectors inherently carry having to buy or sell on a market's close, as opposed to doing so at current market prices, can be a real "killer", especially if the markets are moving significantly during the day. You can also establish either mental or actual open "stop" or sell orders if the position(s) work for or against you. One other consideration: you're not "locked" into a holding period of at least 30 days to avoid a "cash out" penalty/charge. And while that may not sound like a big deal, not having to wait for any particular holding period in my IRA has saved me some HUGE gains/prevented me from taking unnecessary losses. All-in-all, in the end it's actually made me far more money than what it would have otherwise. Just something to think over and consider. 

P.S. wouldn't be surprised if we also get a short term bounce on oil either. Obviously that sector has been beaten up pretty badly over the past few days and we could get an oversold rally. Fortunately I was able to "clean up" with a +20% gain over 5 days by buying the Leveraged "Bear" Energy ETF (SCO) and then taking advantage of the move up on the sell off in the commodity. Obviously didn't have to wait for any holding period or "penalty" period. One instance where what I was mentioning above came in very handy.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 10, 2017, 01:44:04 pm
I would suspect that with the recent pullback in gold that we very well could see a near term recovery. However, one thing you might want to consider are some of the ETFs that cover various gold producers or "junior gold miners. While they're not "no load" if you're using Fidelity or some other form of discount broker, the commission you might pay could be fairly low. The other potential advantages are that with the huge volatility these sectors inherently carry having to buy or sell on a market's close, as opposed to doing so at current market prices, can be a real "killer", especially if the markets are moving significantly during the day. You can also establish either mental or actual open "stop" or sell orders if the position(s) work for or against you. One other consideration: you're not "locked" into a holding period of at least 30 days to avoid a "cash out" penalty/charge. And while that may not sound like a big deal, not having to wait for any particular holding period in my IRA has saved me some HUGE gains/prevented me from taking unnecessary losses. All-in-all, in the end it's actually made me far more money than what it would have otherwise. Just something to think over and consider. 

P.S. wouldn't be surprised if we also get a short term bounce on oil either. Obviously that sector has been beaten up pretty badly over the past few days and we could get an oversold rally. Fortunately I was able to "clean up" with a +20% gain over 5 days by buying the Leveraged "Bear" Energy ETF (SCO) and then taking advantage of the move up on the sell off in the commodity. Obviously didn't have to wait for any holding period or "penalty" period. One instance where what I was mentioning above came in very handy.

Good stuff.  Thanks V8.  ;D

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on March 10, 2017, 02:34:41 pm
Good stuff.  Thanks V8.  ;D
No problem. BTW if you so choose to follow my suggestion(s) I would assume you'll split the profits with moi.  ;) :) :D ;D :P