Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

REPORT: Chavis "In & Working" for Arkansas

Started by gdumont, January 02, 2018, 06:42:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mckinneyhog5

You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle. With that said, I'd like to see what the steak looks like first.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Pork Twain

Some are so dead set on being negative, that they will ignore a couple of decades of outstanding defenses and only focus on the fact that 2 of the last 4 years were not great.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 02, 2018, 10:35:50 pm
Because their defenses were ranked in the 50-80 range while we were consistently 110-120. We don't need to be great, just average and I think he can do that.

I would agree if you want aevrage seasons. Do you think CCM is going to win the majority of shootouts? There are some talented teams out there.  That's a big ask.

twistitup

Quote from: ifghog on January 02, 2018, 10:38:51 pm
Not sure it matters who our DC is. I doubt we would average a top 50 defense if Saban was DC. hard to recruit those type defensive players to AR.

Why? Ole Miss can get them but something about that big river- they
just don't want to come across?

Poor lil Ark syndrome doesn't fly w me...we need to target top D talent and go get it
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: twistitup on January 03, 2018, 05:25:00 am

Poor lil Ark syndrome doesn't fly w me...we need to target top D talent and go get it

Absolutely spot on.  +1

Steef

You need to use a different example. Ole Miss was blatantly buying recruits and got burned for it.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Steef on January 03, 2018, 05:53:37 am
You need to use a different example. Ole Miss was blatantly buying recruits and got burned for it.

You make a point; however, they have always had them - even in years when they were clean.

MuskogeeHogFan

I think that while level of talent plays a huge factor, so does the scheme that the DC chooses to implement. I wasn't crazy about the notion when Chavis' name came up as the DC, but he will probably bring a more aggressive philosophy to the Arkansas defense. And he is well known nationally as a DC and that alone should help draw some recruits to us. We will see what he produces and what influence that Morris will have on that. We could certainly do a lot worse than Chavis. But I do agree that we need to go get some more highly rated defensive talent like they did last year in the Secondary.
Go Hogs Go!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 03, 2018, 06:15:18 am
I think that while level of talent plays a huge factor, so does the scheme that the DC chooses to implement. I wasn't crazy about the notion when Chavis' name came up as the DC, but he will probably bring a more aggressive philosophy to the Arkansas defense. And he is well known nationally as a DC and that alone should help draw some recruits to us. We will see what he produces and what influence that Morris will have on that. We could certainly do a lot worse than Chavis. But I do agree that we need to go get some more highly rated defensive talent like they did last year in the Secondary.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be) but didn't Chavis' DB's at LSU play a pretty tough man-to-man defense? Sort of a bump and run beginning at the line of scrimmage?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 06:55:36 am
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be) but didn't Chavis' DB's at LSU play a pretty tough man-to-man defense? Sort of a bump and run beginning at the line of scrimmage?

I can't recall but I know that he had A&M tied for 2nd in the country in Team Sacks in 2017.
Go Hogs Go!

cardinalandwhite

While I agree with your sentiment, Ole Miss actually has a much better recruiting footprint than many think.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

The_Iceman

Honest Question: how much is A&M's bad defensive numbers due to their offense? It seems they have an all or nothing approach: big plays or 3-and-outs.

Athog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2018, 06:44:33 pm
Not even the best dc in Texas.

Well let's start what is wrong with the hire! I knew the lack of attention would drive those negative people crazy!!

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 07:25:49 am
Honest Question: how much is A&M's bad defensive numbers due to their offense? It seems they have an all or nothing approach: big plays or 3-and-outs.
This.  I think when you play defensive for a no huddle there is a lot more pressure on your defense.  Seldom do HUNH teams have great defenses.  AM would fit this mold.   

That said, I'm all in for Chavis, but I don't think he (or anyone else) will have a top 20 defense with the offense were going to run.  What I like about Chavis is that he is aggressive.  Agim and Ramsey will put up big numbers next year because Chavis' scheme will allow it. 

Negative about Chavis.  He seems to go soft when trying to defend for the win.  Too much prevent defense. 

ifghog

Quote from: Steef on January 03, 2018, 05:53:37 am
Agreed. Not saying we can't win with a top 50 d. Our success depends on Arkansas recruiting. Look at our history...this statement is fact. Now offensive recruiting can be great here. It's just what our state produces.  We will get a  few good defensive players from other states....but not enough....without cheating that is...maybe we should cheat like Ole Miss...but I don't think so. I really hope I am wrong but time will tell.

lumphog

Quote from: hoglady on January 02, 2018, 08:26:20 pm
Hey - I'm ahead of you / I'm 9 months away.
Reading this.  While mashing my food

Cotton

SAY IT AGAIN FOR THOSE IN THE BACK!

+1
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 03, 2018, 07:04:39 am
I can't recall but I know that he had A&M tied for 2nd in the country in Team Sacks in 2017.

I could live with that.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 03, 2018, 04:45:50 am
I would agree if you want aevrage seasons. Do you think CCM is going to win the majority of shootouts? There are some talented teams out there.  That's a big ask.

Depends on what you consider average. BB won 7 games two consecutive years with a pretty good offense and awful defense. I think CM can win 8-9 games with a really good offense and average defense. I would be happy with that.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 07:25:49 am

This^^^ Not only do the 3 and outs put your defense on the field more often, but not scoring has to have a negative effect on the morale of the defense.  Effort has a lot to do with defense.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2018, 10:38:40 pm
We'll see. He won't have near the talent to work with here.

It's not as big of a difference as you might think. They haven't exactly set the world on fire with their defensive recruiting the past couple of years.

twistitup

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on January 03, 2018, 07:18:15 am
While I agree with your sentiment, Ole Miss actually has a much better recruiting footprint than many think.

So do we - draw the 5 hour circle and get back to me.

Tortfeasor

Hell, if we had the 85 ranked defense this year we likely win another 2 games.

twistitup

Quote from: Tortfeasor on January 03, 2018, 10:18:23 am
Hell, if we had the 85 ranked defense this year we likely win another 2 games.

If we were just conditioned well enough to finish games we would have won a few more as well. It might not be recruiting as much as player development

SamBuckhart

Whoever our DC is has to be busy recruiting. Surely will not be long. I can get behind Chavis .  GHG!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

twistitup

I heard that he is working out of his super secret satellite office in Tahlequah

Simple Swineman

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 06:13:39 am
You make a point; however, they have always had them - even in years when they were clean.

And we are 16-10 against them since joining the SEC. I don't understand the people drooling over Ole Miss recruiting. Every time somebody mentions the difficulty of Arkansas' recruiting situation somebody points to Ole Miss saying how "if they can get them then we should too." Some posters make it sound like they are Alabama's equal.

I prefer to let Ole Miss keep "dominating" us in recruiting rankings while we continue to dominate them on the field. But that's just me.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: twistitup on January 03, 2018, 10:20:41 am
If we were just conditioned well enough to finish games we would have won a few more as well. It might not be recruiting as much as player development

Good point, but it wasn't always like that under BB.  End of 2015 season seemed to be the tipping point.  Don't know if he got fat and happy and the team followed suit in 2016 and 2017, but it sure looks that way. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Quote from: Simple Swineman on January 03, 2018, 10:47:34 am
And we are 16-10 against them since joining the SEC. I don't understand the people drooling over Ole Miss recruiting. Every time somebody mentions the difficulty of Arkansas' recruiting situation somebody points to Ole Miss saying how "if they can get them then we should too." Some posters make it sound like they are Alabama's equal.

I prefer to let Ole Miss keep "dominating" us in recruiting rankings while we continue to dominate them on the field. But that's just me.

Frankly, I'd rather see the Hogs do both. Dominating Ole Miss on the field AND in recruiting (within the rules) at the same time would be nice.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on January 03, 2018, 10:34:01 am
I heard that he is working out of his super secret satellite office in Tahlequah
Bolin tell you that?

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: GuvHog on January 03, 2018, 11:23:55 am
Frankly, I'd rather see the Hogs do both. Dominating Ole Miss on the field AND in recruiting (within the rules) at the same time would be nice.

Yes. Both.  We may beat OM plenty, but getting better recruits would mean beating some other teams beside OM.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

roothawg

you just need the right coach. the bull crap we cant we cant is getting old. one of the biggest problems is our fan base thi nking we can never. well we have been and can be again

jgphillips3

Elite defense comes down to elite athletes with elite coaching.  Sound defense can be achieved with recruits we can get.  Morris' connections as a high school coach will get get him that "coaches favorite under the radar" kid who has talent but also the work ethic needed to be good on defense.  I think he is actually the perfect coach for the type of recruits we can get.

HawgSZN

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 03, 2018, 09:55:05 am
This^^^ Not only do the 3 and outs put your defense on the field more often, but not scoring has to have a negative effect on the morale of the defense.  Effort has a lot to do with defense.

Agreed. Which is why you saw the defense appear to give up this past year at times bc the offense couldn't do anything.
Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2019, 01:13:05 pm
Damn. you say his name he pops up.  This guy is legend status

twistitup

Quote from: Simple Swineman on January 03, 2018, 10:47:34 am

It's not about dominating Ole Miss - our goal is to dominate the conference. Recruiting is important, let's not downplay it because we can beat Ole Miss on a regular basis. If Ole Miss can't develop their recruits - it's their fault.

lasthog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on January 02, 2018, 08:02:13 pm
Because I'm tired of the fans getting the shaft. I have no clue why so many of you think chavis is going to be so great here when he had an abundance of athletes and resources and his defenses were bad to terrible at aggieland.

Plus, when the head coach has his first meeting in front of the players and tells them "best dc in the country" and we end up with this, it doesn't look good. Not to mention, his d just gave up 55 to wake forest.

But it's fine. I'll remember all this in a couple of years.

Assistant coaches have limited ability to change a team's culture.  Aggies have not been known as physical team since I can remember, especially since Sumlin arrived. 

kp72204

I don't care who is the DC, but how much does a defense cost? 2+million for Aranda means evrybody will start wanting a raise i the long run. How much is our DC going to get?

opineonswine

Quote from: kp72204 on January 03, 2018, 02:55:55 pm
I don't care who is the DC, but how much does a defense cost? 2+million for Aranda means evrybody will start wanting a raise i the long run. How much is our DC going to get?

A lot.

duck slayer

Are there any responses to this post that add to or confirm the subject or is this just a new topic thread for people to spin off into their agendas on?

Don't waste keystrokes.  I already know the answer.

Highway Hog Sign

I came across this in the twittersphere this morning. It's a response to the question of what's holding up the announcement on Chavis:

"no idea. Pure guess is they want to announce them all at the same time. He's in & working for them."

Here's the link:  https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/948330168925478912.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

razoredge178

ARK really hit a homer getting this hot commodity. We must've outbid the other two SEC schools needing a D coordinator, or the other 10+ vacancies around the country.

Tim Harris

Maybe Morris is just going to keep all the assistant money and go at it alone.

GolfnHog

Quote from: hoglady on January 02, 2018, 08:26:20 pm
Hey - I'm ahead of you / I'm 9 months away.

Then you and I are shooting to whose day comes 1st!!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 03, 2018, 03:11:15 pm
I came across this in the twittersphere this morning. It's a response to the question of what's holding up the announcement on Chavis:

"no idea. Pure guess is they want to announce them all at the same time. He's in & working for them."

Here's the link:  https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/948330168925478912.

Man you're real late on that breaking news tidbit. You gotta be quicker than that!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RebHog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 03, 2018, 08:02:03 am
This.  I think when you play defensive for a no huddle there is a lot more pressure on your defense.  Seldom do HUNH teams have great defenses.  AM would fit this mold.   

That said, I'm all in for Chavis, but I don't think he (or anyone else) will have a top 20 defense with the offense were going to run.  What I like about Chavis is that he is aggressive.  Agim and Ramsey will put up big numbers next year because Chavis' scheme will allow it. 

Negative about Chavis.He seems to go soft when trying to defend for the win.  Too much prevent defense.

At least he wont have to teach current players this philosophy our previous staff did a great job at this!

texasdvm

I believe I saw Chavis on the big screen at the basketball game Saturday.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 08:36:39 am
I could live with that.

The flip side of that is that while they applied more pressure in terms of sacks and TFL, they were also soft in run defense, #70 at 171 p/gm (but we were #97 at 196 p/gm LY), their pass yards allowed was ranked #85 at 238 p/gm (ours was #92 at 242 p/gm), but was #31 in 3rd down conversions allowed (compared to our #121), but were bad in RZ Defense ranking #122 and allowing 38 TD's and 11 FG's, .907 (compared to our #125 allowing 34 TD's and 14 FG's, .923).

So there is good and bad and we have to keep in mind that he did this with higher ranked recruiting classes than we had.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

Bottom line for me is that I want to see a team that plays hard-nosed, snot-knocking, good tackling, risk taking, turnover causing, sound defense that keeps us in games.  If a defensive player gets beaten on a play because the other team or player has superior talent, it is easier to accept instead of the arm tackling, soft peddling, conservative, confused look that recent Razorback defenses have exhibited.

It's the style of play, intensity level, and confusion that I hope changes.  If Chaviz (or whomever is DC) can make those changes in how the Razorbacks play defense, I'll be happy.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: texasdvm on January 03, 2018, 05:44:14 pm
I believe I saw Chavis on the big screen at the basketball game Saturday.

If he got up there by himself, I'm sure not worried about him mashing his food.