Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

REPORT: Chavis "In & Working" for Arkansas

Started by gdumont, January 02, 2018, 06:42:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2018, 06:31:55 pm
I would love to see Chavis bring him back as DBs coach.

I ran into him at the baseball game when we played Missouri State he looked the same as always he hasn't aged like I have..LOL

I would be good with him. Not sure how he recruits but he's an aggressive coach.

Hogindasticks

Oliver

Kind of a suggestive thread title.

Planetary

For whatever it is worth Justin Acri said on his radio show this morning that it was his opinion that Chavis was not going to be defensive coordinator at Arkansas. 

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Planetary on January 05, 2018, 08:24:59 pm
For whatever it is worth Justin Acri said on his radio show this morning that it was his opinion that Chavis was not going to be defensive coordinator at Arkansas.

Oh? The plot thickens.

RockyMtnHog

Could it be that Chavis is a defensive advisor or some other analyst.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

King Kong

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 05, 2018, 08:19:58 pm
I know, I know......it's Nervell

First, irrationally comeback. Which makes it weak.

Second I never once said it was Norvell

HOGKING

Maybe we'll know something before signing day.

huntindoc

Lot's of people on this site have expressed that same opinion.  What makes Acri's opinion carry more weight?  Has he suddenly developed some inside contacts since CCM took over? 

26.2Hog

I think we know what it's worth.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: King Kong on January 05, 2018, 08:29:38 pm
First, irrationally comeback. Which makes it weak.

Second I never once said it was Norvell

In his defense he didn't say Norvell either.

King Kong

Planetary

Quote from: huntindoc on January 05, 2018, 08:32:05 pm

Lot's of people on this site have expressed that same opinion.  What makes Acri's opinion carry more weight?  Has he suddenly developed some inside contacts since CCM took over?

I think he was expressing his frustration that it is taking so long.  Probably Coach Morris is looking for a defensive coordinator with a successful track record and he believes will be a good fit.  It will probably end up being someone we never expected but I trust his judgement.     

Boarmonger

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 05, 2018, 07:44:43 pm
The answer is Top Secret/SCI.  Very few on this board will have that level of clearance.

Probably few on the board that even know what that is.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 07:48:33 pm
Yes. Yes he is. Unless he's not. He also may not be in the running any more.

Personally I think it's no coincidence this Belichek is unhappy at New England news drops while we have this opening but after Gruden finally comes off the market.

Don't forget that we just asked for more money for this hire.

I'm just reading the tea leaves here but they're painting a might interesting picture....

If you're going to "IF" you might as well "IF" big... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RockyMtnHog

Planetary

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 05, 2018, 08:29:02 pm
Could it be that Chavis is a defensive advisor or some other analyst.

It could be and Chavis may end up being DC.  Who knows I just hope we have someone soon. 

The real Hogules

Can we just name the guy already??? If it is Chavis, then say he's our guy! Announce it and get that information out to the recruits that will be signing somewhere next month and let's get on with trying to rebuild this program! The UofA specializes in making mountains out of molehills! Have you seen ANY other college football program that has taken this long to assemble a staff, from start to finish? And if it is Chavis and A&M won't let him out of his contract, then it's time to move on to option "C".
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

The real Hogules

I also keep hearing that Morris is wanting to name all of his assistants at one time. So, what's the added advantage of waiting to name the entire coaching staff, as opposed to making an announcement as each coach comes on board, to get the word out as quickly as possible to this year's potential signees? I just don't understand how waiting helps our cause.

BBHog

What's the deal with the 10th assistant?  The rule says the 10th assistant can be hired on January 9th but many other schools have already announced their hires.  Maybe Morris is waiting on the 9th?

ricepig

Quote from: BBHog on January 06, 2018, 08:52:00 am
What's the deal with the 10th assistant?  The rule says the 10th assistant can be hired on January 9th but many other schools have already announced their hires.  Maybe Morris is waiting on the 9th?
They're announcing them, but officially on staff on the 9th, would be my guess. I keep hearing we should have some "official" comments on hires this weekend, we'll see. I think they still lack a DB hire or two......

texas tush hog

Quote from: BBHog on January 06, 2018, 08:52:00 am

I thought the 10th assistant was C.J. Kinnie. Don't know about the other 5 though.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2018, 08:57:20 am
They're announcing them, but officially on staff on the 9th, would be my guess. I keep hearing we should have some "official" comments on hires this weekend, we'll see. I think they still lack a DB hire or two......

So Ron Cooper's not a given?

Or could he go LB

liljo

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 06, 2018, 05:47:27 am
I also keep hearing that Morris is wanting to name all of his assistants at one time. So, what's the added advantage of waiting to name the entire coaching staff, as opposed to making an announcement as each coach comes on board, to get the word out as quickly as possible to this year's potential signees? I just don't understand how waiting helps our cause.

Maybe they are still trying very hard to make a different deal with someone else. Once those attempts are exhausted, they make the best move available. If they make a blockbuster type hire, all the fan anxiety will be worth it. If not, at least they gave it a shot.

I got to trust Coach Morris at this point.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 06, 2018, 10:03:03 am
So Ron Cooper's not a given?

Shoot, the only given I know of is Morris, and I'm not still 100% on him, is he still alive?? I did see a picture of him and Yurachek with Sen Bozeman yesterday, I assume he wasn't photoshoped in. You hear Cooper, but until they announce them, I don't know......I think we'll hear Caldwell this weekend, others??

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 06, 2018, 05:47:27 am
I also keep hearing that Morris is wanting to name all of his assistants at one time.

Did Morris say that, or is this just another case of someone else said it for him?

Tyro3

Just saw on another site that RD says Chavis has been in town since Thursday and is indeed recruiting.

tbailey

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 06, 2018, 10:24:22 am
Did Morris say that, or is this just another case of someone else said it for him?
Straight from the horses mouth!

Razor1997

SIAP: The John Nabors podcast speculated (making it clear that he has no inside information) that the reason Chavis hasn't been announced, is that he thinks Morris is trying to make one last Hail Mary attempt to get Venables for an absolute crapload of money, just in case.  You want to be paid more than Aranda?  We can do that.

liljo

Quote from: Razor1997 on January 06, 2018, 02:34:45 pm
SIAP: The John Nabors podcast speculated (making it clear that he has no inside information) that the reason Chavis hasn't been announced, is that he thinks Morris is trying to make one last Hail Mary attempt to get Venables for an absolute crapload of money, just in case.  You want to be paid more than Aranda?  We can do that.
...and that is every single bit as good a guess as anyone, anywhere on this forum that I've seen.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

RockyMtnHog

Arkansas has thrown a $ figure at Venables that will be hard to turn down.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Razor1997 on January 06, 2018, 02:34:45 pm

If Chavis is truly already here and working, then it would seem that those still holding out hope for B.V. can finally put those thoughts to bed.

The real Hogules

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 06, 2018, 03:59:40 pm
Arkansas has thrown a $ figure at Venables that will be hard to turn down.

Once again, RD says Chavis is on the job and recruiting. So, unless Chavis is coming as a high paid assistant, or co-DC's at ungodly salaries, Brent Venables ain't coming here.

azhog10

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 06, 2018, 04:39:49 pm
Once again, RD says Chavis is on the job and recruiting. So, unless Chavis is coming as a high paid assistant, or co-DC's at ungodly salaries, Brent Venables ain't coming here.
Chavis isn't working for the U of A. That's can guarantee you. No chance in hell he'd start working for someone while he's yet to be released from his current job.

colbs

Quote from: azhog10 on January 06, 2018, 07:52:19 pm
Chavis isn't working for the U of A. That's can guarantee you. No chance in hell he'd start working for someone while he's yet to be released from his current job.
How do you know he hasn't been released?

opineonswine

So goofy

grayhawg

;)

Albert Einswine

Quote from: opineonswine on January 06, 2018, 08:41:51 pm
So goofy

Why is it goofy? I've been looking for any news item that shows Chavis is released from his A&M contract and haven't found a shred of evidence that he has been.

Goofy would be believing that he's secretly working for Arkansas while under contract to A&M.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

TX HOG

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jkstock04

Quote from: TX HOG on January 06, 2018, 08:54:39 pm
So he's working for us for free?
"Actively" I believe is how I saw it described. Just a common face around the locker room...going to the basketball games, everyone is just keeping it under wraps.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HOGKING

Why would he still be under contract with a&m since they have already hired a new DC?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HOGKING on January 06, 2018, 09:02:04 pm
Why would he still be under contract with a&m since they have already hired a new DC?

Because he signed an extension through 2018 last August. Nothing reported thus far that A&M has bought the contract out.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/21/am-defensive-coordinator-john-chavis-agreed-contract-extension-before-start-2017-season-records-show

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: HOGKING on January 06, 2018, 09:02:04 pm

A surprise coming?  ;D

colbs

How many times when there is a coaching change is it reported when each assistant is let go?  Was there a release about Jeff Traylor leaving?  What about the Arkansas assistants?  So it's not crazy to believe that he's already been hired.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: colbs on January 06, 2018, 09:12:01 pm
How many times when there is a coaching change is it reported when each assistant is let go?  Was there a release about Jeff Traylor leaving?  What about the Arkansas assistants?  So it's not crazy to believe that he's already been hired.

Yes but there has been absolutely nothing from Tx A&M that they have released Chavis either.  :-\

grayhawg

There is going to be some surprised people here next week.

Pork Twain

January 06, 2018, 09:19:45 pm #248 Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:35:21 am by Pork Twain
Sorry but Richard D. and/or Mike I. trump everyone else on this board combined, in terms of credibility
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/