Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some of you all need some fresh air...

Started by Michael_E_Davis, December 29, 2016, 10:34:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

Tough loss,  but congratulations to Va. Tech for coming on strong in the second half. Hopefully next year is better.  Now on to more important things.  It's just a football game you all.  Take a walk and relax.  I hope everyone has a Happy New year.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

NuttinItUp

Is "fresh air" a euphemism for pot or something?

I know Arkansas just voted to legalize medical marijuana, so I was just checking.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

we played a great first half. We just gotta start building on the great things that we're doing at the beginning of games. It'll be ok yall. Next year CBB will have us on track.

crayola99

The problem with your argument is that it ceased to be "just a football game" decades ago.  We are talking about a billion dollar industry that people invest thousands of dollars into yearly.  You can't have it both ways.  If you want to continue to earn millions a year to coach, you have to accept the consequences of not meeting expectations.  You can't expect people to spend the amount of money they currently do and just say "it's football, don't worry about it."

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:40:35 pm
The problem with your argument is that it ceased to be "just a football game" decades ago.  We are talking about a billion dollar industry that people invest thousands of dollars into yearly.  You can't have it both ways.  If you want to continue to earn millions a year to coach, you have to accept the consequences of not meeting expectations.  You can't expect people to spend the amount of money they currently do and just say "it's football, don't worry about it."

Sorry,  I don't remember the contract Razorback fans sign that says if we contribute,  we are therein guaranteed a certain amount of wins.  It's entertainment;  and it's a gamble.  You win some you lose some.  Razorback fans support the hogs because they are our team;  good or bad. 
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 29, 2016, 10:38:20 pm
Is "fresh air" a euphemism for pot or something?

I know Arkansas just voted to legalize medical marijuana, so I was just checking.

Yes, that's right.  I'm high right now.  That is why I have a much better perspective on the situation.

Hogs958

There wasn't a Razorback fan out there that was comfortable with a 24-0 lead...and that's a problem.

Michael_E_Davis

crayola99

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on December 29, 2016, 10:45:21 pm
Sorry,  I don't remember the contract Razorback fans sign that says if we contribute,  we are therein guaranteed a certain amount of wins.  It's entertainment;  and it's a gamble.  You win some you lose some.  Razorback fans support the hogs because they are our team;  good or bad. 

The point is you can't have your cake and eat it too.  CFB has reached a point where they are pricing out the average fan.  You can't keep raising prices and expect fans to accept 7-8 wins a year all the while the coaches and ADs are making millions a year.  The point is CFB is at a point where the average fan is better off spending their money elsewhere than contributing to a program that will never compete for anything significant.  Why would I waste thousands a year on something that as you say means nothing to me?

pigture perfect

Well then the alternative is that band wagon fans will fall of the wagon if the don't get the results they want. I don't see anything changing except a coaching change now and then.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:52:51 pm
The point is you can't have your cake and eat it too.  CFB has reached a point where they are pricing out the average fan.  You can't keep raising prices and expect fans to accept 7-8 wins a year all the while the coaches and ADs are making millions a year.  The point is CFB is at a point where the average fan is better off spending their money elsewhere than contributing to a program that will never compete for anything significant.  Why would I waste thousands a year on something that as you say means nothing to me?

I understand your point. Basically, you are saying:  when you are in the SEC, it's more than just a stupid football game. You are on a national stage,  and there is serious money involved;  not only millions to the coach and the staff,  but a lot of money into stadiums, and various upgrades.  Also, fans spend thousands supporting their team, and they expect a good result.  I get what you are saying.  I don't entirely disagree wit you.

Michael_E_Davis

XavierZane

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:40:35 pm

You can't have it both ways either.  You can't expect elite level success without time and effort.  There's no way to magically turn ourselves into Alabama or Ohio State, but one way to make sure we never get there is to cycle through coaches too often.  In fact, that's part of why Arkansas' once pretty good program, built under Broyles over nearly two decades, ended up in shambles after he stepped down.  In the three decades since Broyles left, we've had ten coaches.  That's an average of three years per coach, and given that Nutt was here for nearly a decade that shows how brief nearly everyone else was.  Let's try stability again, try actually building something again.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on December 29, 2016, 10:34:50 pm
Tough loss,  but congratulations to Va. Tech for coming on strong in the second half. Hopefully next year is better.  Now on to more important things.  It's just a football game you all.  Take a walk and relax.  I hope everyone has a Happy New year.
Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on December 29, 2016, 10:34:50 pm
Go back to your Hallmark Channel.

crayola99

Quote from: XavierZane on December 29, 2016, 11:12:27 pm
You can't have it both ways either.  You can't expect elite level success without time and effort.  There's no way to magically turn ourselves into Alabama or Ohio State, but one way to make sure we never get there is to cycle through coaches too often.  In fact, that's part of why Arkansas' once pretty good program, built under Broyles over nearly two decades, ended up in shambles after he stepped down.  In the three decades since Broyles left, we've had ten coaches.  That's an average of three years per coach, and given that Nutt was here for nearly a decade that shows how brief nearly everyone else was.  Let's try stability again, try actually building something again.

I don't expect elite level success from the Hogs.  But, the market is pricing the Hogs at the same rate as the elite level programs.  If I am not receiving the same level of success, at the same price as those programs, why would I continue to pay the same price?  Eventually, something has to give.

IntegrityHog

CBB's seat is as cool as liquid nitrogen.  Good thing Jegf has perspective on these things.