Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeffy

Started by Sho Nuff, December 29, 2016, 10:01:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you approve of the job that Long has done in hiring coaches?

Yes
24 (17.8%)
No
99 (73.3%)
Frito Pie
12 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Sho Nuff

gchamblee

he has hired 2 football coaches. petrino, which many consider elite, and bret, which was a great hire at the time.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 10:12:23 pm
he has hired 2 football coaches. petrino, which many consider elite, and bret, which was a great hire at the time.
Why would Bielema be considered a great hire at the time?  I remember several people scratching their heads at the time.  One of the marks of a good AD is spotting the great up and comers.

NuttinItUp

EastArkHog 47

Petrino fell in his lap, Bielema begged for the job with his hand written letter, you folks forget JL was the guy that had was courting Grobe, Bowden (not Bobby) and a bunch of other losers. In short JL sucks like a lolly pop.

crayola99

Don't forget the JLS stint.  You can't omit that.  Especially considering all of the extra curricular stuff with his finances that Long knew about that eventually leaked.  It was an eye sore to say the least.

gchamblee

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:33:40 pm
Don't forget the JLS stint.  You can't omit that.  Especially considering all of the extra curricular stuff with his finances that Long knew about that eventually leaked.  It was an eye sore to say the least.

that wasnt a coaching hire, that was a place holder while he searched for a coach to hire.

Bubba's Bruisers

Loved Petrino hire, but give Long very little credit.  Petrino would have gone to any major program he could have found at that time.  Long never actually pursued Petrino.  Great hire nonetheless.

I was originally unimpressed with the BB hire, but fairly quickly grew to like it, as I like they way he wants to play the game.  I think it was definitely the best hire Long could have made at the time.  However, Don't think BB will amount to much here.  Will be average.  7-5 most years with some real brain farts along the way.

Didn't like the MA hire at all.  Still don't.  It's always felt like a hire to appease an uneducated fan base.  He's a beloved former assistant so he HAS to be the savior.  He's good enough to make the NCAA tournament every other year...winning one game tops.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:33:40 pm

Hind sight is 20/20.  Yes, terrible hire, but kind of understandable at the time.  I do remember hating the hire when it happened, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

gchamblee

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 29, 2016, 10:40:42 pm
Loved Petrino hire, but give Long very little credit.  Petrino would have gone to any major program he could have found at that time.  Long never actually pursued Petrino.  Great hire nonetheless.

I was originally unimpressed with the BB hire, but fairly quickly grew to like it, as I like they way he wants to play the game.  I think it was definitely the best hire Long could have made at the time.  However, Don't think BB will amount to much here.  Will be average.  7-5 most years with some real brain farts along the way.

Didn't like the MA hire at all.  Still don't.  It's always felt like a hire to appease an uneducated fan base.  He's a beloved former assistant so he HAS to be the savior.  He's good enough to make the NCAA tournament every other year...winning one game tops.

fair aassesment

JOKERHOG

Why does JLS not count?  Did someone else make that billiant hire?
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

crayola99

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 10:40:34 pm
that wasnt a coaching hire, that was a place holder while he searched for a coach to hire.

It was a coaching hire.  You can label it any way you want, but Long chose JLS to run the program for that year.  He represent our program as head coach.  He gave us multiple embarrassing moments from "Smile!" to his financial situation.  In hindsight, do you really think he was the best option to oversee our program for that one year?

gchamblee

Quote from: JOKERHOG on December 29, 2016, 10:43:23 pm
Why does JLS not count?  Did someone else make that billiant hire?

jls was the duct tape that he used while he ran to the hardware store to get the proper hardware for the permanent fix. i can appreciate your desire to pollute the data, but he has only hired 2 football coaches.

gchamblee

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:44:56 pm
It was a coaching hire.  You can label it any way you want, but Long chose JLS to run the program for that year.  He represent our program as head coach.  He gave us multiple embarrassing moments from "Smile!" to his financial situation.  In hindsight, do you really think he was the best option to oversee our program for that one year?

as far as duct tape goes, i dont care. if he had used it as a permanent fix i would have held it against him.

Calling All Hogs

I am forever grateful to Jeff Long for helping break my addiction to winning Razorback sports.  It use to upset me greatly when we lost. Now I am free. I hope others will join me in my freedom. Here is the Jeff Long 12 step program in hopes it will guide others.

1. Admit we are powerless over recruiting. No coach can recruit to Arkansas.
2. Come to believe that a Power greater than winning exists such as high grade points and graduations.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to integrity as we understand it.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves and our immoral desires to win games.
5. Admit to Jeff on Twitter, to ourselves, and all who follow us that there are more important things than winning.
6. Know that we must keep our coaches in place regardless of performance so that having no hope of winning next year keeps us free from desire.
7. Humbly accept whatever price tickets are raised to without regard to wins.
8. Be positive. Focus not on the 56 points scored by an Auburn but rather rejoice in the 3 points that we score.
9. Make direct amends to the Razorback foundation.
10. Accept that when an AD opening occurs anywhere in American that Jeff Long is always sought after and therefore always give him a raise. 
11. Through prayer and meditation come to know that Jeff Long is a big deal because he chaired the NCAA Selection Committee and accept how lucky we are to have him. 
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, come to accept all that Jeff Long negotiates and never question his one-sided multi million dollar buyouts.
AMEN.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 10:47:10 pm
jls was the duct tape that he used while he ran to the hardware store to get the proper hardware for the permanent fix. i can appreciate your desire to pollute the data, but he has only hired 2 football coaches.

Can't compare to you're pollution.  JL hired him and he coached the team for the 2012 season.  That is a coaching hire regardless of how you try to spin it

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

Hog Solo

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 29, 2016, 10:48:44 pm
I am forever grateful to Jeff Long for helping break my addiction to winning Razorback sports.  It use to upset me greatly when we lost. Now I am free. I hope others will join me in my freedom. Here is the Jeff Long 12 step program in hopes it will guide others.

2. Come to believe that a Power greater than winning exists such as high grade points and graduations.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to integrity as we understand it.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves and our immoral desires to win games.
5. Admit to Jeff on Twitter, to ourselves, and all who follow us that there are more important things than winning.
6. Know that we must keep our coaches in place regardless of performance so that having no hope of winning next year keeps us free from desire.
8. Be positive. Focus not on the 56 points scored by an Auburn but rather rejoice in the 3 points that we score.
10. Accept that when an AD opening occurs anywhere in American that Jeff Long is always sought after and therefore always give him a raise. 
11. Through prayer and meditation come to know that Jeff Long is a big deal because he chaired the NCAA Selection Committee and accept how lucky we are to have him. 
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, come to accept all that Jeff Long negotiates and never question his one-sided multi million dollar buyouts.
AMEN.

All of this.  Nothing but the truth.

Bubba's Bruisers

AMEN.

He should just go hire Saban and get it over with.  Or Meyer or Harbaugh.  I don't know why he just won't do that. 

gchamblee

AMEN.

so safe to say youd like to see the carpetbagger fired?

hogsfan31

Großer Kriegschwein

AMEN.

Lol
This is my non-signature signature.

crayola99

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 10:47:10 pm

Pollute the data?  I am trying to critique Jeff's hires in their totality.  Not omit hires so that it fits my agenda.  Long hired JLS.  It was an awful decision and there is no arguing it unless you have an agenda.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:57:39 pm
Pollute the data?  I am trying to critique Jeff's hires in their totality.  Not omit hires so that it fits my agenda.  Long hired JLS.  It was an awful decision and there is no arguing it unless you have an agenda.

Didn't he strike a deal with Grobe too, but Grobe backed out?

PonderinHog

crayola99

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 29, 2016, 10:59:13 pm
Didn't he strike a deal with Grobe too, but Grobe backed out?

Yes, he did.  And after that Petrino fell in our lap if I recall correctly.

gchamblee

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 10:57:39 pm

if you need to count temp hires in order to feel secure in your opinion of him then go for it. i dont care and i wont judge you for it. im judging him based on coaches he has hired to build a program on.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 10:52:28 pm
so safe to say youd like to see the carpetbagger fired?
That would be a safe bet.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 29, 2016, 10:52:27 pm
He should just go hire Saban and get it over with.  Or Meyer or Harbaugh.  I don't know why he just won't do that. 
Of course not. He should start by seeing which of the Bowden brothers are still around and try to hire them first.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 29, 2016, 11:10:07 pm
Of course not. He should start by seeing which of the Bowden brothers are still around and try to hire them first.

Or Grobe.

gchamblee

kind of funny that you guys are roasting him over people he didnt hire instead of people he did hire

crayola99

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 11:02:04 pm
if you need to count temp hires in order to feel secure in your opinion of him then go for it. i dont care and i wont judge you for it. im judging him based on coaches he has hired to build a program on.

Ok.  Well, please judge the Razorbacks 29-34 record over the last 5 years as a result of Longs hires.  Is this acceptable to you?

EastexHawg

No, he wasn't a great hire because he isn't a good fit for Arkansas.  Remember all the "he's not going to be able to be Saban at Arkansas" talk?  The last four seasons are Exhibit A of what people meant.

Marshfieldhog

JLS alone was a fireable offense, it was that bad. Borderline illegal how they tried to help him hide his salary from creditors.

On paper CBB was a good hire but the buyout is simply absurd. He wasn't worth it.

gchamblee

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 11:15:01 pm
Ok.  Well, please judge the Razorbacks 29-34 record over the last 5 years as a result of Longs hires.  Is this acceptable to you?

not at all. very disappointed.

taylorb1031

You guys looking for a new coach?

I hear Obama is looking for a new job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

shshark00

While most ADs are tied to the success or failures of the most profitable sport, football, it's not the only sport he is in charge of. You really want to evaluate his job you should do it in the totality of his position and analyze ALL sports decisions he's made and not just football.

gchamblee

Quote from: shshark00 on December 29, 2016, 11:21:03 pm
While most ADs are tied to the success or failures of the most profitable sport, football, it's not the only sport he is in charge of. You really want to evaluate his job you should do it in the totality of his position and analyze ALL sports decisions he's made and not just football.

they wont. it is groupthink time right now. they want to fire jeff long and hire ricky bobby or houston nutt to replace him.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 11:25:07 pm
they wont. it is groupthink time right now. they want to fire jeff long and hire ricky bobby or houston nutt to replace him.
Groupthink by definition is when a group of people go along like everything is fine and no one will step up and admit theire is a problem.  Caused the space shuttle to explode on a cold morning.  YOu are part of the groupthink in supporting the current coach

crayola99

Quote from: shshark00 on December 29, 2016, 11:21:03 pm

Well, please enlighten us to all of the great decisions outside of football Long has made?

taylorb1031

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 11:30:22 pm
Well, please enlighten us to all of the great decisions outside of football Long has made?

you think some of these CBB and Jeff Long fanatics are paid shills or just dimwits?

gchamblee

Quote from: JOKERHOG on December 29, 2016, 11:29:10 pm
Groupthink by definition is when a group of people go along like everything is fine and no one will step up and admit theire is a problem.  Caused the space shuttle to explode on a cold morning.  YOu are part of the groupthink in supporting the current coach

im not married to cbb. ill stop supporting him when i think he offers no hope.

shshark00

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 11:30:22 pm

No where in my post did I say those decisions existed. Nor that they don't exist. I'm simply trying to make a civil discussion about the topic without allowing today's horrible loss to be the only thing being taken into suggestion. I'm not supporting nor opposing the idea firing Long. I'm just saying if we want to have that discussion let's lay ALL the cards out and truly analyze his job as a whole.

gchamblee

Quote from: taylorb1031 on December 29, 2016, 11:32:54 pm
you think some of these CBB and Jeff Long fanatics are paid shills or just dimwits?

i can understand cbb losing support, he has had a dismal year in football. however, i dont understand the disdain for jeff long. he is one of the top ad's in the country.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 11:34:56 pm
im not married to cbb. ill stop supporting him when i think he offers no hope.

Just follow the light, it is time to cross over.  I was pissed the day he was hired.  Never liked or respected him

gchamblee

Quote from: JOKERHOG on December 29, 2016, 11:36:29 pm
Just follow the light, it is time to cross over.  I was pissed the day he was hired.  Never liked or respected him

which is why i consider your opinion of him to be meritless. ill crossover when i feel there is good reason, and it wont be because people that never gave him a chance are beckoning me.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 11:37:44 pm
which is why i consider your opinion of him to be meritless. ill crossover when i feel there is good reason, and it wont be because people that never gave him a chance are beckoning me.

Yeah, being right sucks

crayola99

Quote from: shshark00 on December 29, 2016, 11:35:40 pm
No where in my post did I say those decisions existed. Nor that they don't exist. I'm simply trying to make a civil discussion about the topic without allowing today's horrible loss to be the only thing being taken into suggestion. I'm not supporting nor opposing the idea firing Long. I'm just saying if we want to have that discussion let's lay ALL the cards out and truly analyze his job as a whole.

Agreed.  What I think is lost in all of this discussion is we are all in the same boat.  We are just fans that want the best for the program.  My point is why do so many blindly support Long?  What proof do we have that he is a great AD for Arkansas?  What sport has flourished under his leadership?

taylorb1031

Quote from: gchamblee on December 29, 2016, 11:36:17 pm
i can understand cbb losing support, he has had a dismal year in football. however, i dont understand the disdain for jeff long. he is one of the top ad's in the country.

He extended CBB's contract until 2020 with no performance clause and a huge buyout agreement if they fire him before his final season......after a 7 win season WTH what a moron.

Nice talking point by the way,he didn't have a bad season he had 4......4 seasons of garbage.

shshark00

Quote from: crayola99 on December 29, 2016, 11:41:59 pm
Agreed.  What I think is lost in all of this discussion is we are all in the same boat.  We are just fans that want the best for the program.  My point is why do so many blindly support Long?  What proof do we have that he is a great AD for Arkansas?  What sport has flourished under his leadership?
I think the main issue is we as fans are most concerned with wins/losses and championships. The University is concerned with having a profitable sports program. In that regard he has unquestionably been productive and until that changes he's gonna be hard to get rid of.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 29, 2016, 11:15:41 pm
No, he wasn't a great hire because he isn't a good fit for Arkansas.  Remember all the "he's not going to be able to be Saban at Arkansas" talk?  The last four seasons are Exhibit A of what people meant.

Well just who is a good fit for Arkansas? And it can not be someone who has been the hc here already because NONE of them won anything of note
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE