Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why are we throwing the ball every down?

Started by Razorback_Mack, December 29, 2016, 07:22:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Mack

If we would just run the football we'd be up 24-0 and it would already be in the 4th qtr. Run the ball, burn clock, play the field position game. VT's offense hasn't driven down the field all day long. We're lengthening the game for them.

Dr. Starcs

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2016, 07:22:34 pm
Because our rb's have 51 yds on 25 carries
Stats are meaningless when you're up 24-0. You can't abandon it. And by doing so we do the worst possible thing we can do. Stop the clock and extend the game.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Dr. Starcs

Really?  Did you have a problem with the 70 yard bomb to Morgan?!

Play calling has been fine.

Drew Morgan deciding he doesn't want to hold on to the football anymore has not and it has single handedly put them back in the game.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Lanny on December 29, 2016, 07:24:42 pm
Can't run the football
If we had went 3 and out running the ball in the 2nd half. There would be 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter right now. It's about time. Pass the ball to get the lead. Run it to win the game.

tchog1956

We got 2 yards the last series. ....we need Whaley in there and no more kody.  He done zip not in playing shape

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2016, 07:22:34 pm
Because our rb's have 51 yds on 25 carries

Even if you're averaging 2 YPC, you e got to run it a little bit with a 24-0 lead in order to keep the clock running.
WPS

fullfan

If you work the edges, mis-direction you keep them guessing.  Running slow delayed handoffs between the tackles doesn't work.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

They are loading up against the run. I don't know why aren't doing a little more misdirection on run plays though. When we do run it's between the tackles for minimal gain.

EFBAB

Athog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 29, 2016, 07:22:12 pm
If we would just run the football we'd be up 24-0 and it would already be in the 4th qtr. Run the ball, burn clock, play the field position game. VT's offense hasn't driven down the field all day long. We're lengthening the game for them.

When have we been able to run the ball tonight!

HogsonHicks

Our running plays are predominantly delays and draws where their quickness is an advantage. I'd like to see more quick straight ahead runs where we can take advantage of our size.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 29, 2016, 07:26:31 pm
Really?  Did you have a problem with the 70 yard bomb to Morgan?!

Play calling has been fine.

Drew Morgan deciding he doesn't want to hold on to the football anymore has not and it has single handedly put them back in the game.
Bad things happen when you throw the ball. A pic, a fumble trying to extend the play. Obviously the deep ball was bad judgment by drew.

Razorback_Mack

There you go another pic. Completely abandon the run get one dimensional and it's a recipe for disaster. COMMON football sense

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: HogsonHicks on December 29, 2016, 07:28:19 pm
Our running plays are predominantly delays and draws where their quickness is an advantage. I'd like to see more quick straight ahead runs where we can take advantage of our size.
Yep. Went completely away from what our identity is.  Terrible mistake.

Beaverfever

Our running game wasn't particularly good all season we just padded our stats against crappy defenses.  Against good defenses our passing game is our entire offense.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 29, 2016, 07:31:02 pm
Yep. Went completely away from what our identity is.  Terrible mistake.
What do you think our identity is?  We are a passing team. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 29, 2016, 07:31:36 pm
Our running game wasn't particularly good all season we just padded our stats against crappy defenses.  Against good defenses our passing game is our entire offense.
When we're up 24-0 it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is time. Obviously now it doesn't matter. Enos extended the game by 8 clock minutes at least. Inexcusable.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 29, 2016, 07:33:49 pm
That's not what our coach says every time he opens his mouth. In recruiting, press conferences etc. You know his program better than him?

Razorback_Mack

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 29, 2016, 07:33:49 pm
Also common sense would tell anyone not to have the biggest oline in all of football if we're a passing team.

Razorback_Mack

Bottom line this is why we lost the game. The only way we could've lost this game is by doing what we did. That's by coming out of the half with a 24-0 lead and going Mike Leach air raid. Absolutely inexcusable.

We don't have to score on every drive to win the game. Yet our coaches came out and inexplicably threw the ball the vast majority of the time which stoped the clock, caused turnovers, and gave VT great field position.

If we'd have just ran the ball the game would be over as I'm typing and we would've been victorious. 

sickboy

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 29, 2016, 08:17:34 pm
Bottom line this is why we lost the game. The only way we could've lost this game is by doing what we did. That's by coming out of the half with a 24-0 lead and going Mike Leach air raid. Absolutely inexcusable.

We don't have to score on every drive to win the game. Yet our coaches came out and inexplicably threw the ball the vast majority of the time which stoped the clock, caused turnovers, and gave VT great field position.

If we'd have just ran the ball the game would be over as I'm typing and we would've been victorious. 

Dude. We got a 24-0 lead throwing the ball. We couldn't establish the run all day. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to beat Arkansas. Shut down the run.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: sickboy on December 29, 2016, 08:19:35 pm
Dude. We got a 24-0 lead throwing the ball. We couldn't establish the run all day. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to beat Arkansas. Shut down the run.
You throw the ball to get the lead. You run it to win. That's common sense. Run the ball, eat clock, and play the field position game. It doesn't matter if it works or not the clock is running. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the worst thing you can do with a big lead is extend the game by stopping the clock with incompletions and turning the ball over. It's elementary.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on December 29, 2016, 07:27:57 pm
They are loading up against the run. I don't know why aren't doing a little more misdirection on run plays though. When we do run it's between the tackles for minimal gain.

EFBAB

Coach BB still thinks we are a power running team against good defenses....we aren't.  They stack against the run, & usually stuff us.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.