25 seasons in the Southeastern Conference

Started by lutherheggs, December 20, 2016, 10:39:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lutherheggs

SEC performance for 25 seasons:

92-106-2  (46% win percentage)

8-0: 0
7-1: 1 (Nutt)
6-2: 4 (2 were under Petrino in back to back seasons)
5-3: 2
4-4: 5 (4 were under Nutt)
3-5: 4 (2 were under Nutt)
2-6: 6 (3 were under Danny Ford)
1-7: 0
0-8: 1 (Bielema)

4-3-1: 1 (Ford)
3-4-1: 1 (Crowe/Kines)

Under Ford in SEC: 16-23-1 (40%)

Under Nutt in SEC: 42-38  (52.5%)

Under Petrino in SEC: 19-13 (59%)

Under John Smith in SEC: 2-6  (25%)

Under Bret Bielema in SEC: 10-22 (31%)

Bowl record since joining the SEC: 6-9 ( won last 3 and won 4 of last 5 bowls)

Above .500 SEC seasons: 8

.500 SEC seasons: 5

Below .500 SEC seasons: 12

Won the SEC West outright: 2 seasons (once under Ford and once under Nutt)

Tied for 1st in SEC West: 2 seasons (both times under Nutt)

DLUXHOG

So.....  you can't see your way forward if your head is turned around looking towards the rear all the time.... 
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

lutherheggs

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 20, 2016, 10:45:45 am
So.....  you can't see your way forward if your head is turned around looking towards the rear all the time....
May benefit you to know history. Or, regarding you specifically, maybe not.

Piggfoot

Going back to Broyles' days our record against SEC teams has been less than 50%.
Think about that.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

311Hog

this does explain alot, but i think most people agree we were no where near ready to join the SEC when we did from almost any angle you look at it.  Playing from behind for the past 25 years is a sobering thought.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=623165.msg10620394#msg10620394

New thread wasn't necessary.  You could have posted this for whatever point you wanted to make in the Mizzou thread. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Piggfoot

Quote from: 311Hog on December 20, 2016, 10:52:17 am
this does explain alot, but i think most people agree we were no where near ready to join the SEC when we did from almost any angle you look at it.  Playing from behind for the past 25 years is a sobering thought.
When we joined Basketball played a big part. Rollin with Nolan was big and in BB we expected to beat anyone.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

311Hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 20, 2016, 10:55:51 am
When we joined Basketball played a big part. Rollin with Nolan was big and in BB we expected to beat anyone.

yeah i know but the SEC is a football conference and in football we were woefully behind. 

hogsanity

No one could have seen how difficult recruiting was going to be, or the concentration of talent and coaches in the secw.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DLUXHOG

Quote from: lutherheggs on December 20, 2016, 10:47:36 am
May benefit you to know history. Or, regarding you specifically, maybe not.
History is cyclical (guess it hasn't helped that much to know history).... the future is unknown...   (try to make one of your posts a positive one in lieu of 100% negative)

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 20, 2016, 10:58:17 am
No one could have seen how difficult recruiting was going to be, or the concentration of talent and coaches in the secw.

I look at it differently i feel like we were lucky and to some extent think our basketball and track success helped us.  Sure we didn't have the facilities for football nor the playstyle, recruiting base, coach to win in the SEC in terms of football. I guess i am saying if we were trying to get into the SEC today i am not sure we would get in, but back in 1992 things were different and we have reaped the benefits of the SEC's dominance and escaped to a degree being pulled down by Texas.

wildturkey8

If you remember we were horrible in the SWC the 2 years prior to moving to the SEC.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 20, 2016, 10:50:53 am
Going back to Broyles' days our record against SEC teams has been less than 50%.
Think about that.

We are definitely not among the elite football programs in the SEC. 

SEC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS 1992-2016
ALABAMA     7
Florida         7
Auburn        3
LSU             3
Georgia        2
Tennessee    2

There you go.  I don't see much changing in the next few years....
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

factchecker

The SEC is a tough conference.  Go back and do Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Kentucky, etc. record during that 25 year span or even before.  The SEC has primarily been Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee..... then everyone else.  Regardless of the toughness you don't see anyone "escaping" the SEC like Nebraska, AnM, Mizzou, Colorado did to the Big 12.

Would you rather win in a fledgling conference and risk not making the playoffs regardless of your record or struggle in one of the best conferences?  The obvious answer is to win in the best conference but it's a tough dilemma.  I know that an undefeated season in the SEC is highly unlikely but if it ever happened it would be much more impressive/special/unforgettable then winning a mid-major or lil 12 championship.

For the proponents of us leaving for the Big 12.... let me warn you.  Texas is the cancerous glue that holds that conference together.  The conference would collapse the minute they leave.  If we were to leave the SEC, the conference would seek out a replacement.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit for Texas to fill that position and we would be left in a G5 conference with zero money.  If I wanted an easy conference slate while struggling to make money I'd go be a sun belt fan.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 20, 2016, 10:50:53 am
Think about that.
Besides the resuming of the OM series in the 80s, our matchups with SEC opponents came in bowl games and most were in the Sugar and Cotton meaning we were playing top level SEC opponents. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

I'm ready for people to quit punishing Bret Bielema for being willing to take over our dumpster fire. That 0-8 first season at Arkansas -- maybe a pure genius coach might have done better, but I doubt it. That was an incredibly tough schedule. Arkansas lost to four SEC opponents that finished with double-digit wins. You go back and look at home many times in the history of the world that Arkansas or any other team played four 10- to 12-game winners in a conference schedule. It's rare.

That was a bad Arkansas football team. We have covered it many times. Bad team. Inescapably bad.

A lot of the illogic on this board wheels off of Bielema's so-called slow start in SEC play, but it was FRIGGIN' DESTINED YOU GODDAMNED MORONS. We hired a darned Big Ten championship coach to rebuild our disaster. RE. BUILD. FROM A TRAIN WRECK. OR HARLEY WRECK.

Our football program went into the ditch. The springtime firing of our head football coach was followed by a season in limbo with a temporary coach who did nothing but tend to his personal financial disaster. Some of the talent we had on hand was wasted because of that. It all but ruined an entire recruiting cycle, and we hired a coach who had to reassemble not just a coaching staff but an entirely new recruiting process in mostly unfamiliar territories.

OF [CENSORED] COURSE HE LOST A LOT OF SEC GAMES IN HIS FIRST TWO SEASONS. WHY DO YOU KEEP MAKING THAT MEANINGLESS POINT?

STOP IT. STOP. STOP NOW. Admit your idiocy and stop.
[CENSORED]!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: factchecker on December 20, 2016, 11:15:15 am
Would you rather win in a fledgling conference and risk not making the playoffs regardless of your record or struggle in one of the best conferences?  The obvious answer is to win in the best conference but it's a tough dilemma.

That answer is only obvious if you can in fact win in that conference.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Atlhogfan1

The SEC is a tough conference.  Go back and do Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Kentucky, etc. record during that 25 year span or even before.  The SEC has primarily been Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee..... then everyone else.  Regardless of the toughness you don't see anyone "escaping" the SEC like Nebraska, AnM, Mizzou, Colorado did to the Big 12.

Would you rather win in a fledgling conference and risk not making the playoffs regardless of your record or struggle in one of the best conferences?  The obvious answer is to win in the best conference but it's a tough dilemma.  I know that an undefeated season in the SEC is highly unlikely but if it ever happened it would be much more impressive/special/unforgettable then winning a mid-major or lil 12 championship.

For the proponents of us leaving for the Big 12.... let me warn you.  Texas is the cancerous glue that holds that conference together.  The conference would collapse the minute they leave.  If we were to leave the SEC, the conference would seek out a replacement.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit for Texas to fill that position and we would be left in a G5 conference with zero money.  If I wanted an easy conference slate while struggling to make money I'd go be a sun belt fan.

I don't think we need to head there with the conversation.  This was a thread started by a poster who wanted to make a point in another thread. 

factchecker

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 20, 2016, 11:18:55 am
That answer is only obvious if you can in fact win in that conference.

We won how many SWC championships?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 20, 2016, 11:16:38 am
I'm ready for people to quit punishing Bret Bielema for being willing to take over our dumpster fire. That 0-8 first season at Arkansas -- maybe a pure genius coach might have done better, but I doubt it. That was an incredibly tough schedule. Arkansas lost to four SEC opponents that finished with double-digit wins. You go back and look at home many times in the history of the world that Arkansas or any other team played four 10- to 12-game winners in a conference schedule. It's rare.

That was a bad Arkansas football team. We have covered it many times. Bad team. Inescapably bad.

A lot of the illogic on this board wheels off of Bielema's so-called slow start in SEC play, but it was FRIGGIN' DESTINED YOU GODDAMNED MORONS. We hired a darned Big Ten championship coach to rebuild our disaster. RE. BUILD. FROM A TRAIN WRECK. OR HARLEY WRECK.

Our football program went into the ditch. The springtime firing of our head football coach was followed by a season in limbo with a temporary coach who did nothing but tend to his personal financial disaster. Some of the talent we had on hand was wasted because of that. It all but ruined an entire recruiting cycle, and we hired a coach who had to reassemble not just a coaching staff but an entirely new recruiting process in mostly unfamiliar territories.

OF [CENSORED] COURSE HE LOST A LOT OF SEC GAMES IN HIS FIRST TWO SEASONS. WHY DO YOU KEEP MAKING THAT MEANINGLESS POINT?

Love this post sooooo much

AirWarren

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 20, 2016, 10:45:45 am

25 years of pushing forward and being positive still didn't change the 96-102-2 record.

Facts are facts.

31 years and counting for personal razorback heartache.

AirWarren

Great post.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on December 20, 2016, 11:13:38 am
We are definitely not among the elite football programs in the SEC. 

SEC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS 1992-2016
ALABAMA     7
Florida         7
Auburn        3
LSU             3
Georgia        2
Tennessee    2

There you go.  I don't see much changing in the next few years.... (just thank God for Mississippi...)

Could change.... if you believe it's all about $$
2015 GDP of SEC States......
Texas - $1,639,375,000 (nearly double the GDP of the next closest state....)
Florida - $893,189,000
Georgia - $501,241,000
Tennessee - $310,276,000
Missouri - $290,713,000
Louisiana - $253,517,000
Alabama - $209,382,000
South Carolina - $199,256,000
Kentucky - $194,578,000
Arkansas - $123,424,000
Mississippi - $106,880,000

factchecker

Quote from: AP85 on December 20, 2016, 11:27:35 am
25 years of pushing forward and being positive still didn't change the 96-102-2 record.

Facts are facts.

31 years and counting for personal razorback heartache.

Insert Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, and AnM (shorter span) and you have just as much if not more football heartache.  Those teams have never been to the SEC championship. 

At least Kentucky has basketball and Vandy has baseball/academics.  Baseball and track have been our strong programs.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Fatty McGee

Quote from: factchecker on December 20, 2016, 11:25:08 am
We won how many SWC championships?

I didn't realize we were talking about dead conferences. 

factchecker

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 20, 2016, 11:32:19 am
I didn't realize we were talking about dead conferences.

I thought you were making a point that we wouldn't win a lesser conference.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Fatty McGee

Quote from: factchecker on December 20, 2016, 11:35:46 am
I thought you were making a point that we wouldn't win a lesser conference.

Not at all.  I think we'd do better in a conference with schools with similar recruiting bases.  I believe we're well coached, and do a lot for what we have. 

factchecker

Quote from: Fatty McGee on December 20, 2016, 11:39:29 am
Not at all.  I think we'd do better in a conference with schools with similar recruiting bases.  I believe we're well coached, and do a lot for what we have.

I agree.  Here is the tough part. A huge chunk of our revenue ($34 million) comes from the SEC.  I'm not sure what the payouts are like in other conferences but I'm not sure if it is touching that amount.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Fatty McGee

Quote from: factchecker on December 20, 2016, 11:44:21 am
I agree.  Here is the tough part. A huge chunk of our revenue ($34 million) comes from the SEC.  I'm not sure what the payouts are like in other conferences but I'm not sure if it is touching that amount.

http://newsok.com/article/5502121

hawganatic

You're kind of all over the place with this.  You gave two choices, win in a fledgling conference or struggle in one of the best.  Then you come back with a third option of winning in the best.   Struggling in one of the best and winning in one of the best are two mutually exclusive things.  You can't do both at the same time.  There's also a middle ground between being in a "fledgling conference" and being in the best.

If you are trying to say 30 years of bad football would be a good trade off for that one magical season in year 31, then I really doubt you watch a lot of football.  The program also wouldn't survive like that.

Hawghiggs

The conference we should be in doesn't exist and will probably never will. People like to point out that Broyles was a genius for getting us in the SEC. But decade or so earlier he had tried to get us in the Big 8. Would he still be considered a genius?  The SEC is a great conference. I just don't think it will ever be great for the U of A as far as winning championships is concerned. We need to have a conference built around the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas. How we could manage that and still retain the paycheck. I don't know.

rzrbaxfan

Here's how the rest of the SEC West looks over the past 25 years....

8 wins7 wins6 wins5 wins4 wins3 wins2 wins1 win0 wins
Alabama563332300
Miss St003174541
Ole Miss011357422
Auburn324631411
LSU127723120
A&M001031000
Arkansas014246701

(Note: I was dumping conference records from Wiki into Excel and counting win total.  So, a 3-4-1 season counts as a 3 win season just like a 3-5 season)

hog.goblin

Quote from: lutherheggs on December 20, 2016, 10:39:08 am

hawgfan4life

Quote from: lutherheggs on December 20, 2016, 10:39:08 am

% difference in the difficulty of the SEC West with each coach?

About 1,000% tougher today than it was for Ford, HDN, and Bobby.  The SEC has been ridiculous the last few years in the West division.  Where does that factor into the statistics?

factchecker

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on December 20, 2016, 12:15:37 pm
Here's how the rest of the SEC West looks over the past 25 years....

8 wins7 wins6 wins5 wins4 wins3 wins2 wins1 win0 wins
Alabama563332300
Miss St003174541
Ole Miss011357422
Auburn324631411
LSU127723120
A&M001031000
Arkansas014246701

(Note: I was dumping conference records from Wiki into Excel and counting win total.  So, a 3-4-1 season counts as a 3 win season just like a 3-5 season)

Good stuff.

If you rank the SEC-W by the most winning conference records (>5) over the past 25 years:

Alabama 17
LSU 17
Auburn 15
Arkansas 7
Ole Miss 5
Miss State 4
AnM 1
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 20, 2016, 12:23:54 pm
% difference in the difficulty of the SEC West with each coach?

About 1,000% tougher today than it was for Ford, HDN, and Bobby.  The SEC has been ridiculous the last few years in the West division.  Where does that factor into the statistics?

Very true.  In the 90s and early 00s we benefited by having fewer games against TN, GA, and FL.

Since Sabans arrival the whole west has taken a step up.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: factchecker on December 20, 2016, 12:25:21 pm
Good stuff.

If you rank the SEC-W by the most winning conference records (>5) over the past 25 years:

Alabama 17
LSU 17
Auburn 15
Arkansas 7
Ole Miss 5
Miss State 4
AnM 1

I'll add an interesting twist....just look at 1998 and up, those 5+ win seasons stack up like this....

LSU      15
Bama    12
Auburn  11
Ark        6
Miss       4
Ms St     3
a&m       1

Hawghiggs

It is not a 1000% tougher. That's ridiculous.  Now Alabama has changed the entire conference. But to outright dismiss what Petrino and Nutt had to face is foolish.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 20, 2016, 12:25:43 pm
Very true.  In the 90s and early 00s we benefited by having fewer games against TN, GA, and FL.

Since Sabans arrival the whole west has taken a step up.

TN was a common opponent from the East from 1992-2002 so we played them eight times in the 90's.  Went 2-6 with wins in '92 and '99.

gchamblee

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on December 20, 2016, 10:58:17 am
Or how bad losing all of that Texas exposure was going to hurt in recruiting.  We are not built to sustain a team with local recruiting and do not have the history to pull players in from everywhere, just to play for the helmet.  We were brought in because we were like Kentucky in basketball, not because we were like Bama in football.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RagingHawgOn

Pork Twain

Damn well said
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

redleg

Is this a "Rehire Houston Dale Nutt" thread?  ???
Because, um...NO!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hawghiggs

So does being a moderator give you the right to cry and curse? You point out that CBB first two season shouldn't be held against him. I agree with that. But you can't change what has happened either. He's conference record is in the last two seasons is 8-8.  With a 3-5 record this season and more than a couple of disturbing losses. What does all this mean. I don't know. I just don't think you should be allowed to come on here and curse. Others would be banned or have their post removed for that.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: redleg on December 20, 2016, 01:34:22 pm
Is this a "Rehire Houston Dale Nutt" thread?  ???
Because, um...NO!
:razorback:

No, This is the need a new conference thread. The hire Nutt thread is two doors over.

ATLHog

mic drop

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 20, 2016, 01:05:51 pm
Or how bad losing all of that Texas exposure was going to hurt in recruiting.  We are not built to sustain a team with local recruiting and do not have the history to pull players in from everywhere, just to play for the helmet.  We were brought in because we were like Kentucky in basketball, not because we were like Bama in football.

Basketball wasn't a priority for the SEC's expansion.  It was about money for both sides and money was and still is generated from football.  The SEC couldn't get FSU, A&M or Texas so it took Arkansas and South Carolina thankfully. 

The Texas exposure thing has been overstated to try and explain our "decline". 

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 20, 2016, 01:37:22 pm
So does being a moderator give you the right to cry and curse? You point out that CBB first two season shouldn't be held against him. I agree with that. But you can't change what has happened either. He's conference record is in the last two seasons is 8-8.  With a 3-5 record this season and more than a couple of disturbing losses. What does all this mean. I don't know. I just don't think you should be allowed to come on here and curse. Others would be banned or have their post removed for that.

Mods and their "power".

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 20, 2016, 01:37:22 pm

That's what you came up with? SMH.
[CENSORED]!