Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BYU & Tennessee just signed series. Why can't Razorbacks get big name opp

Started by Mr. Porkleone, February 23, 2017, 01:54:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

What's the reason others are getting home and home and we're getting San Jose St. I know SEC tough, but I want a big name OOC game. Just sayin

Wildhog

Because Michigan backed out of our game. SJSU was the best we could do with such short notice.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BigSexyHog

Our schedule is good.  Let's beat who is on our schedule first then we can talk
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 23, 2017, 01:55:01 pm
Because Michigan backed out of our game. SJSU was the best we could do with such short notice.

SJSU isn't the replacement for Michigan, except for the time slot. We still have 3 OOC games to announce for 2018, and 1 for 2019.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 01:57:45 pm
SJSU isn't the replacement for Michigan, except for the time slot.

Oh, m'bad.  Thought they were the replacement.

I can't be right 100% of the time.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

MTBrookHog

Because playing Our Sisters from the Holy Barnyard can prepare us for the SEC better than a P5 school.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 23, 2017, 01:59:07 pm
Oh, m'bad.  Thought they were the replacement.

I can't be right 100% of the time.  :)

Actually, I think we were to open with Michigan in 2018 and 2019. We put Portland St in as the opening game for 2019, but still have one to fill. I'm not sure what we can do for 2018.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on February 23, 2017, 01:54:02 pm
What's the reason others are getting home and home and we're getting San Jose St. I know SEC tough, but I want a big name OOC game. Just sayin

We had TCU. People forget when they were put on the schedule they were just outside the college playoff. Michigan backed out. Texas comes on the schedule in a few? Be careful what you wish for. I recall a home and home against USC. How'd that work for us?

justmakeit2thebcs

Out of Conference P5 games...

2012 - Rutgers
2013 - Rutgers
2014 - Texas Tech
2015 - Texas Tech
2016 - TCU
2017 - TCU
2018 - Open  (was to be Michigan)
2019 - Open  (was to be Michigan)
2020 - Open
2021 - Texas

If BYU was good enough for Tennessee,  I don't see a problem here. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 02:02:37 pm
Actually, I think we were to open with Michigan in 2018 and 2019. We put Portland St in as the opening game for 2019, but still have one to fill. I'm not sure what we can do for 2018.

The Minnesota State Screaming Eagles are open for that date.  Would love to play them and beat their legendary coach.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 23, 2017, 02:17:40 pm
The Minnesota State Screaming Eagles are open for that date.  Would love to play them and beat their legendary coach.
Crap can't even remember the name, was it just coach? Haden fox was the coach I believe.

onebadrubi

So let me get this straight.  Someone schedules a home and home in 2019 and return game in 2023, and then comes here to b I t c h about our recent out of conference scheduling?

Let's take a look at what we've scheduled and can control.

Texas A&M (not our fault they got accepted in the SEC)
Rutgers
Texas Tech
TCU
Michigan

And since our Michigan game got canceled on their doings and paid us a buyout, it's Arkansas fault for not having a nationally top ranked program waiting to play us next year? 

redleg

Florida St has two open dates in 2018.
Syracuse has two open dates in 2018.
Wake Forest has one open date.
Duke has one.
Georgia Tech has one.
Miami Hurricanes have two.
Oklahoma St has one.
Texas Tech has one.
Notre Dame has one.
California has one.
Oregon has one.
Oregon St has one.
Stanford has two.
Washington has one.
Washington St has one.
Arizona has one.
Colorado has one.
UCLA has one.
USC has one.
Utah has one.
I am not sure about specific dates that are open for each team listed here, but each team does have open day(s) that Arkansas could potentially work with to fill a schedule hole.
Personally, I'd like to see the Hogs play Miami, for two reasons...1. We owe them a loss or two, and 2. it would give us exposure in South Florida.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Piggfoot

We like to pay cupcakes to come here with no home and home option so the big Hogs can use their boxes, wave at each other more often. Also we have a better chance of winning six.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 23, 2017, 02:28:27 pm
So let me get this straight.  Someone schedules a home and home in 2019 and return game in 2023, and then comes here to b I t c h about our recent out of conference scheduling?

Rutgers
Texas Tech
TCU
Michigan

And since our Michigan game got canceled on their doings and paid us a buyout, it's Arkansas fault for not having a nationally top ranked program waiting to play us next year? 

These are the same dolts that would have th Hogs playing Ohio St, Fla St, Clemson, and OU every year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

31to6

Tennessee's OOC schedule is shameful. Looks to me like Butch is tired of getting squashed by top-tier competition.

Best opponents:
2017: UMass
2018: WVU
2019: BYU
2020: TBD
2021: Pitt
2022: @Pitt
2023: @BYU

Except for, arguably, the game with WVU you have to go out to 2027 to find a non-conference game (Nebraska) worthy of a program with as much history as TN.

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/tennessee-volunteers.php

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 23, 2017, 02:28:27 pm

Your clueless. Just a question not a bitch.

Rutgers
Texas Tech
TCU
Michigan

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawginbigd1

I just do not see enough positives of scheduling up, as long as we are in the SEC SOS will never be an issue, we don't have to schedule a Notre Dame we get 2 to 4 of those caliber program games every year. Give me 3 cupcakes and a mid major spread throughout the schedule, so my dinged up players can get some rest for the real battles.

redleg

Quote from: redleg on February 23, 2017, 02:32:48 pm
Duke has one.
Georgia Tech has one.
Oklahoma St has one.
Texas Tech has one.
Notre Dame has one.
California has one.
Oregon has one.
Oregon St has one.
Stanford has two.
Washington has one.
Washington St has one.
Arizona has one.
Colorado has one.
UCLA has one.
USC has one.
Utah has one.
I am not sure about specific dates that are open for each team listed here, but each team does have open day(s) that Arkansas could potentially work with to fill a schedule hole.
Personally, I'd like to see the Hogs play Miami, for two reasons...1. We owe them a loss or two, and 2. it would give us exposure in South Florida.
Modified my previous answer.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

King Kong

This is stupid. We had Michigan they backed out.

ricepig

Duke has one.
Georgia Tech has one.
Oklahoma St has one.
Texas Tech has one.
Notre Dame has one.
California has one.
Oregon has one.
Oregon St has one.
Stanford has two.
Washington has one.
Washington St has one.
Arizona has one.
Colorado has one.
UCLA has one.
USC has one.
Utah has one.

Ok, now email this list to the athletic department, as they obviously don't know who has open dates.  8)  Who out of this group has an opening for a P5, in a time slot that works for both schools? It apparently takes a lot to get two teams together to schedule a game, I don't want the job.

I will say I read elsewhere where Bielema was asked a couple of weeks ago and he thought the announcement would be soon. I realize he said that in December......

bennyl08

The only year you can name that we have had a big name OOC opponent was in 2007 when we canceled the third USC game and now that Michigan has canceled on us. Well, using "big name" a bit loosely here since BYU is by no means a big name for Tennessee to schedule. Rutgers is probably the lowest name we've scheduled, they beat us, and they were still a bigger name school than BYU. 2002 was the only other year that I can find our football schedule for that we didn't play a p5 school, but that year we played Boise St. In 99 and 2000, Boise had 10+ win seasons, 2001 they dropped to 8, and in 2002, we were literally their only loss.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 23, 2017, 03:10:13 pm
The only year you can name that we have had a big name OOC opponent was in 2007 when we canceled the third USC game and now that Michigan has canceled on us. Well, using "big name" a bit loosely here since BYU is by no means a big name for Tennessee to schedule. Rutgers is probably the lowest name we've scheduled, they beat us, and they were still a bigger name school than BYU. 2002 was the only other year that I can find our football schedule for that we didn't play a p5 school, but that year we played Boise St. In 99 and 2000, Boise had 10+ win seasons, 2001 they dropped to 8, and in 2002, we were literally their only loss.

Good Lord, I hope we aspire to something higher than the inbred, orange checkerboard, coonskin wearing hound dogs.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

snoop hawgy hawg

I wouldn't mind playing some acc schools. Miami and G tech sound good

MTBrookHog

Duke has one.
Georgia Tech has one.
Oklahoma St has one.
Texas Tech has one.
Notre Dame has one.
California has one.
Oregon has one.
Oregon St has one.
Stanford has two.
Washington has one.
Washington St has one.
Arizona has one.
Colorado has one.
UCLA has one.
USC has one.
Utah has one.
There is no way we can schedule Miami. They are coming to Jonesboro to play and you know we don't play anyone that plays in Jonesboro! Oh, wait except all the other Sunbelt teams.

hogsanity

What is everyone's fascination with playing a "big name"? First, it almost always means a home and home, so every other year we lose another home date. Second, most schools play 3 cupcakes and a P5 school, very few big names play another big name in the ooc. At least in what most here would define as "big name". Third you have to find a partner that has an open date when you have an open date.

Also, quit acting like the Hogs do not schedule these type of games. When they signed the TCU deal TCU was knocking on the door of the BCSCG and were ranked top 10. USC is a big name, so is Texas, and they scheduled Michigan, and then those lilly livered cowards backed out to get at ND while ND is down. Do you think they back out of our series to play ND if ND just came off back back 10 wins seasons?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sowmonella

BYU is a big name?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsanity

WHy, SEC schedule not tough enough for you?

onebadrubi

Quote from: MTBrookHog on February 23, 2017, 04:20:11 pm
There is no way we can schedule Miami. They are coming to Jonesboro to play and you know we don't play anyone that plays in Jonesboro! Oh, wait except all the other Sunbelt teams.

What a stupid comment.

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 23, 2017, 04:38:44 pm

What a stupid comment.

I am still trying to figure out why so many people want a "big name" on the schedule. It can't be because it is good for the program, because it is not.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2017, 04:39:55 pm
I am still trying to figure out why so many people want a "big name" on the schedule. It can't be because it is good for the program, because it is not.

It would be if we were competing for SEC championships every year and going to top tier bowl games.

But we're not.  So it's not.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2017, 04:39:55 pm

^

Gets it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 04:59:42 pm
Purdue is a big name, Northwestern is a big name, Wake Forest is a big name......

I mean, I'm all for scheduling any/every terrible P5 team, but would we call them "big" names?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 23, 2017, 05:06:41 pm
I mean, I'm all for scheduling any/every terrible P5 team, but would we call them "big" names?

You bet, just wait until the schedule is announced, it will be BIG

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 03:05:42 pm
Ok, now email this list to the athletic department, as they obviously don't know who has open dates.  8)  Who out of this group has an opening for a P5, in a time slot that works for both schools? It apparently takes a lot to get two teams together to schedule a game, I don't want the job.

I will say I read elsewhere where Bielema was asked a couple of weeks ago and he thought the announcement would be soon. I realize he said that in December......
/\
Gets it

joco

How did that home and home with USCw work out for us back in the day?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: joco on February 23, 2017, 07:04:59 pm
How did that home and home with USCw work out for us back in the day?

That win in '74 put Dirt Winston on the national map.   

Sweet Feet

well think about USC, Rutgers, and Texas Tech....

colbs

Adam Stokes

BYU grad here, we're stoked for this. 2019 should be fun, we get Tennessee, USC-W, Utah, and Washington in our first four games, with Boise State and Washington State later in the year. I'm mainly just surprised we got a home and home with them, even if we had to project it out our home game way off in the future. Still need to be in a Power 5 before we can consistently recruit with our in-state rival, but glad the schedule is bulked up enough to stay relevant while we continue to be the fat girl before homecoming.

hamsam

They do it so bitchers can bitch... Just sayin
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

razorbacker3

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 23, 2017, 02:25:38 pm
Crap can't even remember the name, was it just coach? Haden fox was the coach I believe.
I played poker with Coach Luther Van Dam yesterday.

Hawgar The Horrible

Worried about Hog opponents not filling up your big screen TV? Don't. You'll be able to see them.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on February 23, 2017, 09:18:39 pm
Worried about Hog opponents not filling up your big screen TV? Don't. You'll be able to see them.

It's not the size of the player he's worried about. It's the name on the back of the jersey. Think the OP wants us to play some people with senior citizen fonts so that he can see their names better. You know, a big name opponent.

That or he wants us playing a team where everybody's last name is really long. "Big" is a bit amBIGuous.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2017, 04:33:28 pm
What is everyone's fascination with playing a "big name"? First, it almost always means a home and home, so every other year we lose another home date. Second, most schools play 3 cupcakes and a P5 school, very few big names play another big name in the ooc. At least in what most here would define as "big name". Third you have to find a partner that has an open date when you have an open date.

Also, quit acting like the Hogs do not schedule these type of games. When they signed the TCU deal TCU was knocking on the door of the BCSCG and were ranked top 10. USC is a big name, so is Texas, and they scheduled Michigan, and then those lilly livered cowards backed out to get at ND while ND is down. Do you think they back out of our series to play ND if ND just came off back back 10 wins seasons?
Because we don't want to watch us play directional schools?  I would love playing more Power 5 teams home and home.  I'm fine with 7 home games instead of 8 if they are quality teams and not Sun Belt schools.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  SEC should schedule 9 conf games and the year you have 4 conf home games and 5 road games then you get the home game for the home and home series against a Power 5 team.  then if you want to schedule two cupcakes so be it.  And no cupcake games in November like UF, Bama, SCarolina, Auburn does.  Weak!!

passinghog

I'm usually a proponent of the SEC schedule being more than enough, but I'd be fine with playing any of the PAC 12 schools outside of Oregon and USC.

biglewhog77

I would like to play a big name non conference games in football and basketball instead of playing nobody's