Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy OLB coach Osia Lewis has liver cancer

Started by jbcarol, February 22, 2017, 07:21:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamSparks/status/834223730746392577

QuoteLewis, 54, will move into a new off-the-field role as chief consultant to the head coach and senior defensive assistant, according to a Vanderbilt news release. His full-time replacement as outside linebackers coach will be hired at a later date, as Vanderbilt will kick off spring practice on Monday.

Lewis, a 28-year coaching veteran, has been a friend of Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason since their teenage years in Arizona. He joined Mason's staff last year and helped guide one of the SEC's best defenses.

According to the news release, Lewis suffered nausea, dizziness and stomachaches in mid-November, but he coached the remainder of the season...

"Emotionally, I was kind of numb for about two or three days," said Lewis in the news release. "I just didn't have anything to say. I didn't cry, nothing — it was just nothing."

Lewis' family includes wife, Darlene, and her son Marvin and daughter Kiana. He has begun chemotherapy treatment at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center.

"Osia is family," Mason said. "Some people run from these things, but we've chosen to run to it. I believe Osia and Darlene, with what they've poured into this program, their journey is a testament to what it means to be family. They've given everything they have to this program, moving from San Diego to Nashville because I asked them to.

"I truly believe it's important for us to take the journey with them. That's exactly what we're going to do."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net