Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Larry Porter to Auburn

Started by jbcarol, February 11, 2017, 06:46:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The_Boot_stops_here

Will be interesting to see if Bielema's (apparent) focus on coaching rather than recruiting will pay off. Would like to have an elite guy like Porter...

PorkRinds

We didn't have a position open for Larry porter.

JIHawg

Gus fired his tight end coach last week, who had been with him from the beginning.  This caught his staff, and everybody at Auburn, by surprise.  They didn't see it coming.  Everybody was asking why.

Now we have a clue.  Gus is upgrading his recruiting.  Auburn has finished around 10th for several years now, while Bama continues to be in the top 3.  Gus is making some coaching changes to close the gap.

Gus will be coming after two players in Arkansas hard this year.  We are going to have to out-recruit them in our back yard.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: JIHawg on February 13, 2017, 09:43:46 am
Gus fired his tight end coach last week, who had been with him from the beginning.  This caught his staff, and everybody at Auburn, by surprise.  They didn't see it coming.  Everybody was asking why.

Now we have a clue.  Gus is upgrading his recruiting.  Auburn has finished around 10th for several years now, while Bama continues to be in the top 3.  Gus is making some coaching changes to close the gap.

Gus will be coming after two players in Arkansas hard this year.  We are going to have to out-recruit them in our back yard.

Jimmy and Joes has never been the problem at Auburn.

riccoar

Quote from: JIHawg on February 13, 2017, 09:43:46 am
Which are?

Kevin

auburn about to go back to being auburn on the recruiting trail. $$$$$$
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Meanwhile we're hiring guys that have never recruited at an FBS level.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rljjr

Oh noes, we suck again!!! Pfft. Pansies.

Wildhog

Quote from: rljjr on February 13, 2017, 10:47:00 am
Oh noes, we suck again!!! Pfft. Pansies.

That implies that we stopped sucking.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Trey1981 on February 13, 2017, 10:40:26 am
Gerry Bohanon and Nathan Page

Well, I doubt we get Bohanon if he's dead set on playing QB, Page has a lot of teammates on the Hill, time will tell.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on February 13, 2017, 10:44:23 am
Meanwhile we're hiring guys that have never recruited at an FBS level.

I'm betting we're getting the best ones we can attract.  I suppose recruiting FB assistants is much like recruiting HS FB players.  We're very limited on who will come here.  Probably easier to succeed at AU...$$'s not withstanding.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 13, 2017, 11:31:37 am
I'm betting we're getting the best ones we can attract.  I suppose recruiting FB assistants is much like recruiting HS FB players.  We're very limited on who will come here.  Probably easier to succeed at AU...$$'s not withstanding.

I mean, it's not like we haven't made big time hires.  Dan Enos, Paul Rhoads, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman...  all big time hires.  I really think recruiting just hasn't been a big priority when making these last couple of hires.  I don't think it'll work, but we'll find out soon enough, I suppose.
1909/1964/1965/1977

riccoar

Well, Auburn would be a late entry then on Page.

colbs

I'm hoping the 10th assistant will be a special teams coordinator or a great recruiter.  Hopefully he is both.  A guy like Pittman that really doesn't have set area but can recruit nationally.  Is April when the 10th assistant will be voted on?  Will it be effective immediately if approved?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on February 13, 2017, 11:51:50 am
I mean, it's not like we haven't made big time hires.  Dan Enos, Paul Rhoads, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman...  all big time hires.  I really think recruiting just hasn't been a big priority when making these last couple of hires.  I don't think it'll work, but we'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Just like we sign a few blue chip recruits every February, but that, as you've repeated, is not the norm. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on February 13, 2017, 01:05:48 pm
I'm hoping the 10th assistant will be a special teams coordinator or a great recruiter.  Hopefully he is both.  A guy like Pittman that really doesn't have set area but can recruit nationally.  Is April when the 10th assistant will be voted on?  Will it be effective immediately if approved?

One thing you gotta remember is that EVERYONE will be out hiring that 10th coach. 

Frankly, I'd be all for going and getting Aaron Henry from NCST to help Rhoads with the DB's.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 13, 2017, 01:13:41 pm
One thing you gotta remember is that EVERYONE will be out hiring that 10th coach. 

Frankly, I'd be all for going and getting Aaron Henry from NCST to help Rhoads with the DB's.

I could go with that. I don't think the 10th coach will be added until January, as Bielema says, it makes sense as far as raiding staffs for the hires. It would need to be either immediate, or wait until after the bowl games.

colbs

That's true but maybe with the "Special Teams Coordinator" title Arkansas will throw more money his way.

I really like Aaron Henry. I'd be happy with him and like you said can provide help in the secondary.  He has ties with Florida and I bet he's going to be a very good recruiter.  I've spoken to him once and he's very personable like Pittman.

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on February 13, 2017, 01:24:06 pm
That's true but maybe with the "Special Teams Coordinator" title Arkansas will throw more money his way.

I really like Aaron Henry. I'd be happy with him and like you said can provide help in the secondary.  He has ties with Florida and I bet he's going to be a very good recruiter.  I've spoken to him once and he's very personable like Pittman.

Yep.  And he already has more major CFB experience than Chad Walker.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tusks

Well there was a RB coach opening last year.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

colbs

Quote from: tusked on February 13, 2017, 02:37:19 pm
Well there was a RB coach opening last year.
Mitchell was a good hire IMO.

JIHawg

I didn't know about Paige.  They are recruiting Burks. 

Wildhog

Quote from: colbs on February 13, 2017, 02:41:36 pm
Mitchell was a good hire IMO.

I agree.  We hired a recruiter and all he did was lock down two of our top targets early.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jvanhorn

Isn't that just Hank Aaron spelled backwards?

NotSoFastMyFriend

Randy Shannon was one of the worst recruiters the Hogs have ever had. His time at Arkansas is marked by both entitlement and laziness. Waste of a paycheck for a "name" coach. Agree on Pittman before he quit recruiting and I haven't seen enough out of Rhoads or Enos to decide if they can recruit or not. They do fit the bill for really good coaches though.

RaisinHog

Quote from: JIHawg on February 13, 2017, 04:22:00 pm
I didn't know about Paige.  They are recruiting Burks.

Page is obviously an academic risk at this point .. he has no major offers yet is a 4 star

sowmonella

Quote from: Kevin on February 13, 2017, 10:32:23 am
auburn about to go back to being auburn on the recruiting trail. $$$$$$

This^^^^^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hog Fan...DOH!

I would exchange a tad of recruiting prowess for a helping of mental toughness. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 13, 2017, 11:31:37 am

Hmmm, I'm not so sure on both counts.  CBB clearly has a "type" he likes to hire for his assistants.  You also can't fault his coaching tree.  And AU is ALWAYS a hot seat- I'm not so sure it's really a better "job" for a college coach. 

jbcarol