Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

arkansas is putting on a show in the fourth quarter at utep

Started by flippinhogmana, November 24, 2017, 05:08:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

November 24, 2017, 05:08:07 pm Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:18:28 pm by flippinhogmana
22-10 so far in the fourth quarter, but arkansas dug themselves a 20 ;point hole in the first half.  Devin Cosper is lighting it up in the fourth hogs down four wiht a minute to go.  Macie Weaver has played well today as well.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

hogs down two with thirty seconds to go after a monk steal and layup, cosper with 6 of 12 three pointers mostly in the second half, 22 points

monk was fouled of the steal and layup, makes it and the hogs are down one, 62-61 with 36 seconds to go.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

utep scores with seven seconds left up three
and they lose 64-61, but it was a heck of a comeback and they beat them in the second half by 15 anyway!
Macy Weaver played well (over twenty minutes) that was a good thing too.

nwahogfan1

UTEP is how Good? I thought we would win. Disappointed.

BWS

According to Phil Elson on Twitter, they had issues stopping UTEP's 6-4 player in the first half.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BWS on November 24, 2017, 05:53:22 pm
According to Phil Elson on Twitter, they had issues stopping UTEP's 6-4 player in the first half.

the hogs are always going to be having trouble with a decent team when they can't hit their own shots, especially against a taller team.  they were like 0-their first dozen shots, got behind 9-0 and only scored 3 free throws the first quarter, behind 15-3.  They were down 18 at the half.  they outscored the miners by 15 the second half.  Macy Weaver playing nearly twenty minutes and playing well helped a lot. She had four blocks, about the same boards, a steal, one bucket (an offensive rebound an put back).  She helped shut down the miners big girl who had only five points after Weaver came in.

Cosper lit it up from the start of the second quarter, but really from the start of the second half, and even more in the fourth quarter.  I think this was a growing experience for the women.  Not anyone expected the girls to be very good this year.  They are surprising some, but they will continue to surprise too. 

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 24, 2017, 05:49:32 pm
UTEP is how Good? I thought we would win. Disappointed.
I watched the game on TV and was disappointed that we lost especially after making the late comeback in the fourth quarter.  However, I was not disappointed in the team nor the coaches - especially since we may have found a taller post player on campus in Macy Weaver.  It is hard to overcome a slow start - going 0 - 15 in the first quarter and with the engine that makes us go, (Monk) going 3 - 15 in the game.
The game started with Williams, our starting post, getting two fouls in the first 32 seconds of the game, not returning until the second half, and playing only 8 minutes.  TEP got off to a hot start with their 6' 4" senior post player, Seda, who has an SEC post player body dominating our smaller lighter players in the middle.  Enter Weaver for Thomas late in the first quarter with Seda already having 10 points I believe, we finally were able to hold our own down low.  Weaver played a total of 19 minutes and was in the game when we made our charge in the fourth quarter and was credited with 4 blocks.  I counted at least five plus she altered Seda's every shot except one that she made.  Seda was 9 - 20 in the game, but I think she was like 2 - 10 against Weaver.  If Weaver can continue that performance into the SEC, we will surprise everyone.  I am not saying that she will, but remember she had only played in two of our four games and less than 10 minutes until that time.  If we can get her into the rotation which would allow Thomas to play the four, we might win six or eight games in the SEC.  The question is IF?
Cosper was interviewed on the post game radio show and she gave Macy the credit for giving the team the spark that they needed to get back into the game.  She was asked how she liked being the featured scorer this year along with Monk.  Her response was very interesting.  She said she gives the credit to coach Neighbors and Shaffer for continuing to encourage her and the team - especially at the halftime of this game.  She went on to say, it is so nice to hear encouragement instead of being ridiculed for everything that I do.  To me that statement says a lot.

BWS

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 25, 2017, 10:54:54 am
  I watched the game on TV and was disappointed that we lost especially after making the late comeback in the fourth quarter.  However, I was not disappointed in the team nor the coaches - especially since we may have found a taller post player on campus in Macy Weaver.  It is hard to overcome a slow start - going 0 - 15 in the first quarter and with the engine that makes us go, (Monk) going 3 - 15 in the game.
The game started with Williams, our starting post, getting two fouls in the first 32 seconds of the game, not returning until the second half, and playing only 8 minutes.  TEP got off to a hot start with their 6' 4" senior post player, Seda, who has an SEC post player body dominating our smaller lighter players in the middle.  Enter Weaver for Thomas late in the first quarter with Seda already having 10 points I believe, we finally were able to hold our own down low.  Weaver played a total of 19 minutes and was in the game when we made our charge in the fourth quarter and was credited with 4 blocks.  I counted at least five plus she altered Seda's every shot except one that she made.  Seda was 9 - 20 in the game, but I think she was like 2 - 10 against Weaver.  If Weaver can continue that performance into the SEC, we will surprise everyone.  I am not saying that she will, but remember she had only played in two of our four games and less than 10 minutes until that time.  If we can get her into the rotation which would allow Thomas to play the four, we might win six or eight games in the SEC.  The question is IF?
Cosper was interviewed on the post game radio show and she gave Macy the credit for giving the team the spark that they needed to get back into the game.  She was asked how she liked being the featured scorer this year along with Monk.  Her response was very interesting.  She said she gives the credit to coach Neighbors and Shaffer for continuing to encourage her and the team - especially at the halftime of this game. She went on to say, it is so nice to hear encouragement instead of being ridiculed for everything that I do.  To me that statement says a lot.

Wow. Certainly no love loss between her and Dykes.

flippinhogmana

November 25, 2017, 12:18:48 pm #8 Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:27:01 pm by flippinhogmana
In my opinion we employed the previous coach three years too long.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: BWS on November 25, 2017, 11:22:00 am
Wow. Certainly no love loss between her and Dykes.

Swenson has made similar comments comparing last year's coaching to this year's. The players really, really seemed to hate playing for Dykes.

Interesting that Weaver didn't get in today's win over NMSU. Gues we didn't need her (NMSU isn't that big.)

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 25, 2017, 10:41:53 pm

Interesting that Weaver didn’t get in today’s win over NMSU. Gues we didn’t need her (NMSU isn’t that big.)
Coach addressed this in his post game comments that the matchup was not favorable to her and what her role will be this year.

Bblover69

Anyone have the post game comments that MN said after UT Tournament? Or whereto find them?

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Bblover69 on November 26, 2017, 05:52:16 pm
Anyone have the post game comments that MN said after UT Tournament? Or whereto find them?
Only the comments that were on the radio at the end of the game against NMS.  I do not remember much other than his comments on Weaver that I talked about earlier.  He says that both the coaching staff and the team continue to learn which is true.  I have reviewed the season stats and one that really stands out is that we have been outscored 201 - 178 in the first half while outscoring our opponents 247 - 186 in the second half.  This shows how the coaching staff and team is able to adapt to what they are facing and make necessary changes plus the shape that our team has to be in to be averaging almost 50 points a game in the second half.  If we can solve our slow starts, we will be an offensive force.
One item that coach did mention is that we are not going to be a good rebounding team - I have heard him stress that several times.

BWS

The problem with teams in the past is that we would start off hot early, then go into a long scoring slump in the second half. The fact that we play better in the second half is definitely a positive.