Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How big are they?

Started by Hogindasticks, March 15, 2018, 10:40:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

I am really interested in seeing the Quarterback situation when the new guys get here.  I wanna see how this pans out and see if politics enters the arena.  It will show me a lot about the program.

Pumbaa

Even if either one has the talent or is athletic enough to start this year I just don't see it happening. There aren't too many true freshman that aren't early enrollers who come in anywhere and start. As I've stated multiple times, I still believe this is Cole's job to lose. He's so big and has such distinctive set of attributes because of his size that I think it will be hard to keep him off the field.

oldhawg

Quote from: Hogindasticks on March 15, 2018, 10:40:35 pm
I am really interested in seeing the Quarterback situation when the new guys get here.  I wanna see how this pans out and see if politics enters the arena.  It will show me a lot about the program.

What is your criteria to determine if "politics enters the arena?"

parallaxpig

High powered offenses are only as good as the QB. If a freshmen can get the job done, they will play. It's about winning not politics. And for the record, the QB Morris needs to run his offense isn't on campus yet.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

presidenthog

Quote from: oldhawg on March 16, 2018, 08:29:39 am
What is your criteria to determine if "politics enters the arena?"

People still holding onto that mantra that BA shouldn't have started, and it should have been the other Brandon who did  but those pesky politics got in the way of arkansas finally having a black QB!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogindasticks on March 15, 2018, 10:40:35 pm
As foolish as it might sound I'm going to go under the assumption that CCM will play the best QB available. After all it's in his best interest to do so. Whether or not that young man will be a true freshman I have not a clue. However, I would think the odds are stacked against by the mere fact few kids who play the position are able to pick up the offensive schemes effectively enough by merely going through fall practice. Obviously an kid enrolling early and going through spring ball would stand a far better chance. And BTW I highly doubt "politics" has much, if anything, to do with it.

liljo

As long as Arkansas has a coach that is guaranteed big money for building a winning program, you won't have to worry about "politics" determining who starts. The starters will be the players the coaches think give them the best chance of winning.

On the other hand, when a coach simply cannot personally lose, every decision becomes questionable. If he wins, he continues coaching and gets mega-raises to an already unbelievable salary. If he loses and gets fired he walks away with an absolute fortune. In that case, play whomever you like.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

oldhawg

Quote from: liljo on March 18, 2018, 12:20:22 pm

If he wins, he continues coaching and gets mega-raises to an already unbelievable salary.

Seems like somebody left out the "win" part of the equation with Bret Bielema.  :)

liljo

Quote from: oldhawg on March 18, 2018, 12:54:45 pm
Seems like somebody left out the "win" part of the equation with Bret Bielema.  :)
Seems that way to me, as well.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Snout team

Very few coaches will intentionally play someone they think gives them less chance to win because of politics.  I won't say it never happens but I would say it is VERY rare.

Now, coaches who are wrong about the evaluation of said players or who emphasize intangibles over talent, can become quickly unemployed because of the win loss record.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

ChicoHog

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 18, 2018, 01:55:17 pm
Very few coaches will intentionally play someone they think gives them less chance to win because of politics.  I won't say it never happens but I would say it is VERY rare.

Now, coaches who are wrong about the evaluation of said players or who emphasize intangibles over talent, can become quickly unemployed because of the win loss record.
Great point.  Way too many fans think there is a conspiracy or weird stuff happening.  It's that the players don't play as well as the coaches thought they could. 

Rocket23

Quote from: presidenthog on March 18, 2018, 11:15:40 am
People still holding onto that mantra that BA shouldn't have started, and it should have been the other Brandon who did  but those pesky politics got in the way of arkansas finally having a black QB!!

Greg Thomas and Quinn Grovey say hello.

presidenthog

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 18, 2018, 03:57:55 pm
Greg Thomas and Quinn Grovey say hello.

I'm making fun of the idiots on here who have said what I said earlier.

oldfart

Robert Johnson had a shot at QB

1highhog

jdlew

If the QB next year is as good as the Allen brothers I will be very happy...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: oldfart on March 18, 2018, 04:50:50 pm
Robert Johnson had a shot at QB
not really, but a little bit.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NoogaHog

Completely off topic, but the title of this thread caused me to go down a Roy D. Mercer rabbit hole.

How big an ol boy are you?

https://youtu.be/J7E-t-fKwDg
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Richard Davenport

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 18, 2018, 01:55:17 pm

Agree.