Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updated AP Poll

Started by GrizzlyRider07, December 18, 2017, 11:39:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

Looks like we come in at #26 this week receiving 83 votes. So assuming we take care of business the next two games we will be ranked going into the Tennessee Home SEC Opener!!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

TexasRazorback

Too me, I dont read into the rankings until around Feburary. There is so much change in CBB and its not really until mid conference schedule that the cream rises to the top. But I do like seeing our hogs close to the top 25 already

FraggleHog

Dari is getting roasted by Hog Fans for this on Twitter...

IMO, we don't have an off night in Houston, we're easily in the top 20.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Yeah, it's kind of our own fault for laying an egg at Houston.  Gotta work our way back in.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

popcornhog

Others receiving votes: Arkansas 83, Notre Dame 73, Clemson 35, Louisville 28, Texas 21, Nevada 13, Oklahoma State 9, Minnesota 9, SMU 5, Alabama 5, Auburn 4, Virginia Tech 3, Rhode Island 2, Syracuse 2, Florida 2, Towson 1, Michigan 1
WPS

FineAsSwine

That Houston loss may end up being the thing that CMA can point to for the rest of the year and keep this teams attention.

Players had been making public statements about being disrespected and then went out and gave less than their best effort. Could have been a layoff or whatever but ranked teams bring consistent effort and it could be that that loss keeps the memory fresh of what can happen when the energy and effort aren't there on defense.

We play uptempo ball and in that style of play, you have to bring it every night (or day). CMA needs a team of blue collar, lunch pail type of guys for what he wants to do. Once they have that figured out, I think this team has the pieces in place and are performing at a level that warrants inclusion in the AP (only poll that anyone cares about) all they have to do is keep winning.

Watching Tenner fade against UNC on their home court makes me pretty confident that we will beat them in the Bud. We will be ranked soon. How we handle it is a different matter.

1highhog

I don't want us to be ranked until we're at least halfway through the SEC regular season, this team has senior guards but alot of younger players so I think they play better with a chip on their shoulders.  By then, we need to start rising in the rankings and thenjoy do a great job in the SEC Tournament to give us a great seeding in the NCAA Tournament, I'll be hoping for a 4 seed or higher if possible. 

JayHog

We can't get a 4 seed if we aren't ranked until the last few weeks of the season. I hate when I see people say "we don't need to be ranked right now".
Un, yes, we do. If you're hoping for a 4 or 5 seed, yes, we need to be ranked more than just the last 3 weeks of the season.

azhog10

Quote from: JayHog on December 18, 2017, 01:59:11 pm
We can't get a 4 seed if we aren't ranked until the last few weeks of the season. I hate when I see people say "we don't need to be ranked right now".
Un, yes, we do. If you're hoping for a 4 or 5 seed, yes, we need to be ranked more than just the last 3 weeks of the season.
Fact

Pinto

When you look the way we looked vs Houston, you don't deserve to be ranked. Minnesota being overrated doesn't help us at all. Gotta put up or shut up vs Tennessee

NWAHog479

The good news is that Mike can use this as motivation for the next 2 ball games and then having us ready to roll out against Tennessee

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Top 10 in the RPI with a SOS of #6 in NCAA...

To me, that's way more important than mid-December rankings.

Polecat

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 18, 2017, 11:59:14 am

F Dari
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hog Fan...DOH!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: gguillo on December 18, 2017, 03:28:00 pm

Yes sir it is...We are starting our accent.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

1highhog

Quote from: azhog10 on December 18, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
Fact

Read again Jughead, I didn't say anything about the last 3 weeks of the season, I said middle of the regular season.  How do you just see 3 weeks there?

WhenPigsFly

It's almost as if our win over OU on a neutral court never happened.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on December 18, 2017, 04:16:07 pm
ehh I guess they take in the fact about the Houston loss, but I figured our Oklahoma, UCONN, Minnesota, Bucknell (thrashing) would way over rule that
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

cjack

Quote from: FraggleHog on December 18, 2017, 11:59:14 am

He should be.  How many times has he "dissed" Arkansas?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

razorhead94

Quote from: gguillo on December 18, 2017, 03:28:00 pm

Completely agree....you'd rather have those numbers than a ranking that really doesn't have a bearing on anything the selection committee goes off of.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

FineAsSwine

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on December 18, 2017, 04:16:07 pm

Matter (OU win) + Anti-Matter (Houston loss) = Nothing (totally cancels each other out). Just the laws of physics at work in the human mind.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 18, 2017, 05:06:48 pm
Matter (OU win) + Anti-Matter (Houston loss) = Nothing (totally cancels each other out). Just the laws of physics at work in the human mind.
so then we cancel out the UNC and Minnesota win and then hey we 6-0!!
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BannerMountainMan

That's how disrespected Arkansas is, 83 votes in the AP and only 26 in the Coaches.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on December 18, 2017, 11:39:37 am
Looks like we come in at #26 this week receiving 83 votes. So assuming we take care of business the next two games we will be ranked going into the Tennessee Home SEC Opener!!

Just got our tickets to the Tennessee game.  Taking my 4-year old daughter to her first Razorback basketball game!  WPS!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

HAM ELLIOT

HogFansReunited

Wrong, the committee does not look at rankings at all. The AP Poll and Coaches Poll are both meaningless other than giving people something to talk about.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HoopS

I want us ranked. Always. There's no good time for it besides all the time. We need our name out there constantly if we want to be relevant. Don't apologize for our losses. Make dang sure they credit us for our wins like everybody else's fanbases do. We like to talk ourselves down to the point we don't need rivals. Piss on that. Be proud of our team. Give them their credit.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: HoopS on December 18, 2017, 09:18:37 pm
I want us ranked. Always. There's no good time for it besides all the time. We need our name out there constantly if we want to be relevant. Don't apologize for our losses. Make dang sure they credit us for our wins like everybody else's fanbases do. We like to talk ourselves down to the point we don't need rivals. Piss on that. Be proud of our team. Give them their credit.

I agree that we as fans want to see the team ranked. I'm sure the players want to be ranked as well.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Member #3568

BrooklynRoss

That Oklahoma win is going to come back to haunt us ... in a good way. We caught those guys at the perfect time.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on December 18, 2017, 09:32:31 pm
That Oklahoma win is going to come back to haunt us ... in a good way. We caught those guys at the perfect time.

That's implying they've surpassed us since we played them, not true

alohawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 18, 2017, 09:51:35 pm

Agreed, that was no fluke, hogs are better.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

BenDial

Quote from: 1highhog on December 18, 2017, 04:10:26 pm

Read again Jughead, I didn't say anything about the last 3 weeks of the season, I said middle of the regular season.  How do you just see 3 weeks there?

Recruiting season never stops. It helps to be ranked because it's a prestige and perception issue. It's easier for highly recruited kids to buy in championship talk to a team that's firmly in the top 20 than it is a team that is in the "other receiving votes" category.

Beaverfever

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 18, 2017, 09:51:35 pm
Either way if I had a ballot I'd have OU ranked around 15 and Arkansas between 25-30.  OU is a very good win but we were completely outclassed by UNC the next day and embarrassed by a mediocre Houston team on the road.  Don't get me wrong it's been a decent start to the season but this team has accomplished nothing.  They don't need a ranking or a pat on the back. 

HoopS

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 19, 2017, 04:47:38 am
Either way if I had a ballot I'd have OU ranked around 15 and Arkansas between 25-30.  OU is a very good win but we were completely outclassed by UNC the next day and embarrassed by a mediocre Houston team on the road.  Don't get me wrong it's been a decent start to the season but this team has accomplished nothing.  They don't need a ranking or a pat on the back. 
who needs rivals.

TexArkHogFan

Arkansas is the best team in the country that nobody is talking about.  Somebody said that recently, I can't remember who, but I believe it was one of the CBS analysts or ESPN.  I had just as soon keep it like that for awhile.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

rzrbackramsfan

Ok sure, we have several accomplishments that they don't too.  But I'm not talking about who should be ranked higher, I'm talking about who would between the two if they played in again.  I'm saying Arkansas does.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: BenDial on December 19, 2017, 12:40:51 am
Recruiting season never stops. It helps to be ranked because it’s a prestige and perception issue. It’s easier for highly recruited kids to buy in championship talk to a team that’s firmly in the top 20 than it is a team that is in the “other receiving votes” category.

I can agree with this.

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Either way if I had a ballot I’d have OU ranked around 15 and Arkansas between 25-30.  OU is a very good win but we were completely outclassed by UNC the next day and embarrassed by a mediocre Houston team on the road.  Don’t get me wrong it’s been a decent start to the season but this team has accomplished nothing.  They don’t need a ranking or a pat on the back. 

I didn't see us as outclassed when we played UNC.  We had the game within 2 possessions with about 3 or 4 minutes left, then we just couldn't buy a bucket.  This was also our second worst team performance this year.  Yes UNC had something to do with that but we were missing uncontested shots that normally drop for us.

Member #3568

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HogFansReunited on December 19, 2017, 08:19:19 am
I didn't see us as outclassed when we played UNC.  We had the game within 2 possessions with about 3 or 4 minutes left, then we just couldn't buy a bucket.  This was also our second worst team performance this year.  Yes UNC had something to do with that but we were missing uncontested shots that normally drop for us.

Arkansas' legs were dead after having to go all out less than 24 hours earlier.  That's all there is to it. 

HogFansReunited

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 19, 2017, 10:44:34 am
Arkansas' legs were dead after having to go all out less than 24 hours earlier.  That's all there is to it. 

I agree, not the same as being out classed though.

Member #3568

Beaverfever

Outclassed is a strong word because I think we could beat UNC but our starting backcourt was in over its head against UNC.  Their length/athleticism was a huge issue.  CJ Jones was our only guard who could get a clean look.  Unfortunately he was cold early in the game.  I love Barford and Macon but they have limitations against teams like UNC.  Luckily not many teams are built like UNC.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pinto on December 18, 2017, 02:13:54 pm
When you look the way we looked vs Houston, you don't deserve to be ranked. Minnesota being overrated doesn't help us at all. Gotta put up or shut up vs Tennessee
stop with the devalued win BS over Minnesota...they were ranked 14th when we played them and we handled them quite easily...the Houston loss is just one of those things that happen in basketball from time to time, a team isn't even inspired, doesn't want to be there and the other team has been coach the the edge of their brains blowing out of the top of their heads wanting a win... Kelvin Sampson has had a case of priapism for Mike Anderson since I can remember when...it was what it was and they couldn't stay within 20 of us now on their own floor
The long Grey line will never fail our country.