Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Branson Dining

Started by Tripod1, January 21, 2014, 09:34:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Meeting 4 old grad school roommates for the weekend.  Where do we eat?

TrueBlue

Go to Springfield and eat at Lambert's.

Candlestick Inn was the best in town, but they closed when they were damaged by the tornado.

Boog41

Haven't been in a few months, but a bud of mine lives there and says Top of the Rock has reopened and is top notch.

ricepig

Quote from: Boog41 on July 03, 2014, 09:03:19 pm
Haven't been in a few months, but a bud of mine lives there and says Top of the Rock has reopened and is top notch.

It was really good years ago, I read that it was back open.

hog.goblin

Quote from: "Pickled" Pig's Pete on February 08, 2014, 09:36:57 pm
I concur on Mr G's.  My favorite hole in the wall in Branson.  If you can just get past the smoke...

We finally made it back tonight now that Branson is smoke-free.  Amazing pizza.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 23, 2016, 09:25:38 pm
We finally made it back tonight now that Branson is smoke-free.  Amazing pizza.

vapor free too??

hog.goblin

Vapor?  This is Branson.  Vapor isn't in their vocabulary.

Oklahawg

Any new dining places for me to consider this spring? We try to avoid the chains and shows for our meals.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hog.goblin

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 06, 2017, 09:27:21 pm
Any new dining places for me to consider this spring? We try to avoid the chains and shows for our meals.

Not dining, and not sure how new it is, but it was new to us:

Pickin Porch Grill - nice little sandwich shop for lunch.  Nothing fancy.

Mr Gs is still our standby for dinner but we love pizza, particularly Chicago style.

Level 2 if want something nicer.

Crazy Craigs cheeky monkey bar if you are young enough for more drinks and fun than food.

We still like Cantina Laredo and Black Oak Grill if we are going to do a chain.

Also not new, Top of the Rock

pigture perfect

A couple of options I haven't seen mentioned, but I've enjoyed that are different than the most, is The Branson Belle Dinner Cruise and the restaurant owned and operated by the School of the Ozarks. Both very unique place.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hawgon

Is someone in this thread implying that the Ron's jumbo sausage cheeseburger, half order of Spanish fries, and a large unsweet tea is not fine dining?  The next thing you're going to tell me is that Talley's stopped serving chicken fried steaks.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jkelly107 on February 07, 2014, 11:33:03 pm
Not romantic but how can u go to that area and not eat at Lamberts in Ozark
Love that place.
http://www.throwedrolls.com/
I am with you love the rolls and apple butter, I don't miss a chance.

bennyl08

Table Rock Lake. Just need to purchase some worms, rods, reels, fishing license, filet knife, and some lemon pepper and aluminum foil...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

There's gotta be at least 12 Cracker Barrels in the Branson area.  That's like Chinese restaurants in Chinatown.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cosmodrum

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 09, 2017, 09:56:21 pm
Table Rock Lake. Just need to purchase some worms, rods, reels, fishing license, filet knife, and some lemon pepper and aluminum foil...

Or Taneycomo...
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 10, 2017, 04:04:16 pm
There's gotta be at least 12 Cracker Barrels in the Branson area.  That's like Chinese restaurants in Chinatown.

Branson is one, big Cracker Barrell.
Go away, batin'

hog.goblin

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 10, 2017, 04:04:16 pm

Well, there is 1, which is only a 2 from being a 12.

Oklahawg

We have eaten on a couple of different trips at Vasken's Deli. Very good sandwiches. Nothing fancy, but so much better than (1) fast food (2) crappy buffet, and (3) no hokum music or characters.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HognotinMemphis

Just ate at Level 2 again last month. Its steak is high quality. Don't know how they do it in a Hilton in Branson but it is wonderful. Service good too. Not cheap tho. If you have a cocktail and a bottle of wine, will be close to $100 per person with tax and tip.

Top of the Rock still a neat place but the food and service not anything special. They are always so busy the service suffers a bit.

Worman House at Big Cedar Lodge has been closed since they re-opened Top of the Rock. I am sorry about this. I loved Worman House. The character of the place, its size, and the view of TR Lake were great. I am told it is used only for special events now. Mistake in my opinion.

Used to eat at Buckingham's all the time but stopped going there 8 or 9 years ago when we stopped staying on the strip. We stay in downtown Branson now at a bed and breakfast. Buckingham's was great service and rock solid kitchen. Wonder if it is still the same.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 13, 2017, 11:00:35 am
Used to eat at Buckingham's all the time but stopped going there 8 or 9 years ago when we stopped staying on the strip. We stay in downtown Branson now at a bed and breakfast. Buckingham's was great service and rock solid kitchen. Wonder if it is still the same.

Almost tried it, but it's been too long since you've been so I didn't make the gamble

Boog41

I have a hidden Italian place that mostly only the locals know about. Good Chicago style pizza if you like that. It's in Hollister. They have menu items named after Tony Orlando and Barry Williams. Not too hard to figure out why.

http://www.mrgilbertis.com

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 13, 2017, 11:00:35 am
Just ate at Level 2 again last month. Its steak is high quality. Don't know how they do it in a Hilton in Branson but it is wonderful. Service good too. Not cheap tho. If you have a cocktail and a bottle of wine, will be close to $100 per person with tax and tip.

We have never had anything but stellar service and quality food. Sometimes high quality, sometimes exceptional, but always "of quality." Glad you had a good experience (didn't you have a not-so-good visit there in the past?).

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 16, 2017, 10:22:05 pm
We have never had anything but stellar service and quality food. Sometimes high quality, sometimes exceptional, but always "of quality." Glad you had a good experience (didn't you have a not-so-good visit there in the past?).
No, all of our annual visits to Level 2 have been as you describe yours. Always quality. We have dined there at least once a year since 2013, so 5 years in a row now.
Where we have had so-so experiences with food and/or slower service recently have been at Top of the Rock restaurant...Osage and the bar below it. Nice people and beautiful setting but gets crowded and service gets very slow. Menu at Osage is weak. Not much on it. And very expensive for what it is. But that is Johnny Morris restaurant for you.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 23, 2017, 07:36:31 am
No, all of our annual visits to Level 2 have been as you describe yours. Always quality. We have dined there at least once a year since 2013, so 5 years in a row now.
Where we have had so-so experiences with food and/or slower service recently have been at Top of the Rock restaurant...Osage and the bar below it. Nice people and beautiful setting but gets crowded and service gets very slow. Menu at Osage is weak. Not much on it. And very expensive for what it is. But that is Johnny Morris restaurant for you.

Good to know.

I don't need stellar service all the time. What I don't need is awkwardly bad service or frustratingly ordinary food. So many Branson restaurants have left at least one member of our (large) party disappointed in what they ate.

pigture perfect

Danny's Diner in Branson West is great if you like like big country breakfasts. Decent lunch but closed during dinner hours.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2018, 06:49:39 pm

So many Branson restaurants have left at least one member of our (large) party disappointed in what they ate.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hog.goblin

For 30+ years Branson diners have been old people.  Not all, but most old people tip poorly and prefer bland food.  That can't be good long-term treatment of the local establishments.

We were there a couple of weeks ago, and being January missed most of Branson.  The service at Osage and Arnies was terrible, the food was fine but not worth the price.  Devils Pool as really fallen off.  My steak was inedible as pepper crusted resulted in my inability to ascertain whether I was eating beef.  And I love pepper.  The service was really good.

Mr. Gilberti's was the highlight.  Actually the fires in our cozy cabin where, but that's a story for a different thread.

Boog41

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 30, 2018, 07:28:48 am
For 30+ years Branson diners have been old people.  Not all, but most old people tip poorly and prefer bland food.  That can't be good long-term treatment of the local establishments.

We were there a couple of weeks ago, and being January missed most of Branson.  The service at Osage and Arnies was terrible, the food was fine but not worth the price.  Devils Pool as really fallen off.  My steak was inedible as pepper crusted resulted in my inability to ascertain whether I was eating beef.  And I love pepper.  The service was really good.

Mr. Gilberti's was the highlight.  Actually the fires in our cozy cabin where, but that's a story for a different thread.

Not sure if you went to Mr Gilberti's because of my post above, or if you already knew about it......but I'm glad someone else enjoyed it. I think sometimes I like odd things that others don't.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Boog41 on January 30, 2018, 12:03:31 pm
Not sure if you went to Mr Gilberti's because of my post above, or if you already knew about it......but I'm glad someone else enjoyed it. I think sometimes I like odd things that others don't.

Yes sir, you get the assist.  We usually go to Mr G's for pizza in Branson and I was confused that they were two different places.  Nice folks at the place and great deep dish.  It was a long way out there which was that much more worth it.  It will become a regular.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 30, 2018, 07:28:48 am

Sounds like you had similar experience at Osage that we have had over past couple of years. We go there to watch the sunset and have a drink or two and maybe eat dinner at the Buffalo Bar below Osage. Arnie's is lunch only. But the food is as you say, not worth the price and if busy, the service gets very slow. January not a busy time. At lunch at Devil's Pool year before last and it was so very average. No reason to try it again.
We are going up there in a few weeks to stay in a 2 bedroom cabin on the lake for a couple of nights just for pure relaxation. Going to cook in both night but will try to eat lunch out somewhere...but not on the property.

Several questions re lunch time dining places:

Is Mr. Gilberti's not the same as Mr. G's Pizza? If not, sounds like you are saying Mr Gilberti's is tops?

What about The Pizza Cellar in Rockaway Beach? Know anything about it? A guy I met at The Branson House bar told me about it, Mr. G's, and Downing St Pour House. Where should we try for lunch? Thanks

Boog41

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 31, 2018, 12:54:46 pm
Sounds like you had similar experience at Osage that we have had over past couple of years. We go there to watch the sunset and have a drink or two and maybe eat dinner at the Buffalo Bar below Osage. Arnie's is lunch only. But the food is as you say, not worth the price and if busy, the service gets very slow. January not a busy time. At lunch at Devil's Pool year before last and it was so very average. No reason to try it again.
We are going up there in a few weeks to stay in a 2 bedroom cabin on the lake for a couple of nights just for pure relaxation. Going to cook in both night but will try to eat lunch out somewhere...but not on the property.

Is Mr. Gilberti's not the same as Mr. G's Pizza? If not, sounds like you are saying Mr Gilberti's is tops?

What about The Pizza Cellar in Rockaway Beach? Know anything about it? A guy I met at The Branson House bar told me about it, Mr. G's, and Downing St Pour House. Where should we try for lunch? Thanks

Just texted with a bud that grew up in Branson, and still lives there. He is who took me to Mr. Gilberti's........he said the two are not related that he knows of.

DLUXHOG

Don't know about the restaurant you referenced in Rockaway Beach, but that town/village had been there forever (even long before the existence of Table Rock Lake).  My parents met there in the 50's....   it was quite the "in" spot in the 40's and 50's....  I graduated from a high school in the area and took many a field trip there with several ha classes....   fun, cool place....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hog.goblin

That is right, they are two different G's.  Mr. G's is the former smokey pub with great pizza, that is now a wonderfully smoke-free pub with great Chicago-style pizza.  It's near the landing in old Branson.

Mr. Gilberti's is a different style of Chicago-style pizza (a thinner pie, but full of flavor).

We spent a Thursday through Sunday in a one-bedroom cabin, read books, watched few movies, and built many a fire in the fireplace.

Our best meal on-site was breakfast at the Worman House (Truman was closed for renovations).  They have an excellent quiche.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 31, 2018, 09:24:43 pm
That is right, they are two different G's.  Mr. G's is the former smokey pub with great pizza, that is now a wonderfully smoke-free pub with great Chicago-style pizza.  It's near the landing in old Branson.

Mr. Gilberti's is a different style of Chicago-style pizza (a thinner pie, but full of flavor).

We spent a Thursday through Sunday in a one-bedroom cabin, read books, watched few movies, and built many a fire in the fireplace.

Our best meal on-site was breakfast at the Worman House (Truman was closed for renovations).  They have an excellent quiche.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Will try either G's or Gilberti's for lunch. Our plan is to stay in the 2 bedroom cabin. Taking our daughter and son in law. We want to do little of nothing...enjoy the fireplace, the deck and cook great meals for dinner. Taking steaks and salmon with us. Will also do breakfast at least one of the two mornings at Worman House...i loved the feel of Worman House when it was open for dinner. Thanks.

HognotinMemphis

Back today from weekend at Big Cedar Lodge stay in their lakeside cabins. Rained all Friday and Saturday but was very relaxing. Kept a fire in the fireplace entire time and cooked in for breakfast and dinner both days.

Only meals out were

**on arrival Friday at Downing St Pour House in Hollister for lunch. Good pale ale beer and good fish and chips and nice service. Recommended.

**lunch Saturday at Worman House where BCL is temporarily serving breakfast and lunch. Had their pulled pork barbecue sandwich and onion rings. Again, all tasty and would recommend. Love the Worman House and its view of the lake from the dining room.

Can't recommend the BCL cabins enough. Excellent.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 25, 2018, 04:14:26 pm

Can't recommend the BCL cabins enough. Excellent.

^^^^   We usually get the 2-story cabins, even though it's only the 2 of us, just because I love BCL's lake cabins so much. My cheap buddy likes the Knotty Pne cabins, but those are lame.

Oklahawg

Ate at Mr. Gilberti's thanks to Boog's recommendation and loved it. Will return every visit to Branson.

We enjoy Vasken's Deli for a light lunch. Nothing special, just good sandwiches. (No hokum either)

Danna's BBQ is still pretty good but I am getting spoiled by two places here in the Tulsa area, Buffalo's BBQ in Sperry (carryout only) and Burn Co downtown.

Level 2 screwed up salad orders and a side dish this time. The horseradish salad dressing was inedible - about 900% horseradish and nothing else. It was horrible. Every other item was fantastic and service was still top-shelf.

Aranda's Mexican across the street from the outlet mall road (on 76, south side of the road) is legit, and authentic Mexican food. It would fit into East Tulsa quite well.

Boog41

Okla, glad you liked Gilberti's. I'm headed back there next month with a big group of friends. I'm not at all familiar with the others places you listed....others than Level 2. I'm gonna give them a try When I can. Thx man.

Hey, have you ever tried Ted's Mexican over your way? Yeah, I know, that name just doesn't sound right, but I swear the one in Edmond is awesome. It's as good, or better, than Superior Grill in Shreveport if that tells you anything.

Grizzlyfan

Seafood ravioli at Mr. Gilberti's if you aren't feeling the pizza.  Or pizza for an app and then seafood ravioli.

Boog41

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 20, 2018, 03:17:15 pm
Seafood ravioli at Mr. Gilberti's if you aren't feeling the pizza.  Or pizza for an app and then seafood ravioli.

Griz, that sounds great! Will give it a try next month. Thanks

Oklahawg

Quote from: Boog41 on August 19, 2018, 08:39:52 pm
Okla, glad you liked Gilberti's. I'm headed back there next month with a big group of friends. I'm not at all familiar with the others places you listed....others than Level 2. I'm gonna give them a try When I can. Thx man.

Hey, have you ever tried Ted's Mexican over your way? Yeah, I know, that name just doesn't sound right, but I swear the one in Edmond is awesome. It's as good, or better, than Superior Grill in Shreveport if that tells you anything.

Ted's Escondido. Not what I prefer. I tend to like the VERY authentic mexican food and that is not always  popular. If you want another nice place in Tulsa, Calaveras Mexican Grill, Lewis at 244. It is amazing - I have yet to have anything less than great. Good queso and a salsa bar with 6-8 options. Authentic mole and I enjoy the chilaquiles as a lunch option (not just a breakfast option!). When winter hits the lunch burrito is perfect - imagine a pork stew inside a burrito and then the stew ladled over the top. Green chili in the stew makes it have a small bite but really just a lingering warmth in your belly.

Very unassuming - order at the counter and get a paper boat/basket of chips for the salsas.

Best thing: it is suitable for families and I've hosted a working lunch there before.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 09, 2018, 10:10:34 pm
Ted's Escondido. Not what I prefer. I tend to like the VERY authentic mexican food and that is not always  popular. If you want another nice place in Tulsa, Calaveras Mexican Grill, Lewis at 244. It is amazing - I have yet to have anything less than great. Good queso and a salsa bar with 6-8 options. Authentic mole and I enjoy the chilaquiles as a lunch option (not just a breakfast option!). When winter hits the lunch burrito is perfect - imagine a pork stew inside a burrito and then the stew ladled over the top. Green chili in the stew makes it have a small bite but really just a lingering warmth in your belly.

Very unassuming - order at the counter and get a paper boat/basket of chips for the salsas.

Best thing: it is suitable for families and I've hosted a working lunch there before.

We ate at Ted's in K.C.  TexMex, but like Chuy's it's good TexMex as long as you are wanting TexMex.  Every now and then I do.

In Tulsa we like Cafe Ole.  Not overauthentic and not TexMex.  Big on quality and flavor.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 10, 2018, 03:21:54 pm
We ate at Ted's in K.C.  TexMex, but like Chuy's it's good TexMex as long as you are wanting TexMex.  Every now and then I do.

In Tulsa we like Cafe Ole.  Not overauthentic and not TexMex.  Big on quality and flavor.

Need to try that.

McKdaddy

Yes, we really enjoy Cafe Ole! We love TexMex, but not Ted's.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 13, 2018, 01:28:35 pm
Yes, we really enjoy Cafe Ole! We love TexMex, but not Ted's.

Did you try out our San Diego Mex when you where here?

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on September 14, 2018, 11:07:14 am
Did you try out our San Diego Mex when you where here?

We tried out a couple, one downtown that had a neat logo (can't remember the name this second) and another in Old Town.  We liked both!

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 14, 2018, 02:08:01 pm
We tried out a couple, one downtown that had a neat logo (can't remember the name this second) and another in Old Town.  We liked both!

http://www.casaguadalajara.com/
Casa Guadalajara

not bad.

Boog41

hog.goblin

Any new ideas for local places to eat in Branson in February?

Hawgitall

Top of the Rock has the best atmosphere and scenery.  I prefer Arnie's Barn over the other restaurants there.