Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scents, what kind and why?

Started by woodrow hog call, November 13, 2015, 12:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

I have been of the mindset to be invisible and unscentable, for most of my hunting but have occasionally tried some Tinks or something. I have never had the experience of "he came right in to my scent wick" that some people have talked about.

Thought I would see what you guys use and find out if one ranks higher than the rest. If you watch the hunting shows, they are all the best for one reason or another. This year I did buy the Calm Stick Scent, because I like the idea of it just making the deer feel comfortable, just wondering if anyone else has tried it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

kodiakisland

I hunt into the wind like man has been doing since he first sharpened a stick.  I stick to man scent and don't worry about it.  Hasn't seemed to hurt so far.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

IronHog

Buck bomb estrus sprayed all over near your stand with buck sign the night before you hunt next AM.

Hit the rut right and bucks that were cruising the night before will come back to find that hot doe the next AM.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

cbhawg03

Quote from: IronHog on November 13, 2015, 01:32:33 pm
Buck bomb estrus sprayed all over near your stand with buck sign the night before you hunt next AM.

Hit the rut right and bucks that were cruising the night before will come back to find that hot doe the next AM.

Those bomb brand products are strong to say the least.  Worked at Academy for a while, guys would spray the hog bomb playing around.  You can smell that hog bomb from miles away and it doesn't go away.  All of them are really strong, just the hog bomb takes it to another level. 

rickm1976

My primary strategy is to use the wind to my advantage.  I try to be as scent free as I can, but in reality, that is impossible.  Most of the scent free products are just a gimmick IMO.  I will sometimes put out a few drops of Tink's around my perimeter just in case, but not always.  The best thing anyone can do is hunt into the wind.  The wind is your friend if you use it the right way.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 13, 2015, 01:14:54 pm
I hunt into the wind like man has been doing since he first sharpened a stick.  I stick to man scent and don't worry about it.  Hasn't seemed to hurt so far.

Bow hunting where I do there is no telling which way the deer are going to be traveling on any given morning. That's why I have always tried to be scent free as possible.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

IronHog

Scents aren't gimmicks.  Most people just don't use them right.  Bucks are highly scent driven during the rut but have to be given a chance to react to the scent.......

Put out large amounts of a quality scent in the right location  12 hours before you hunt prior to peak breeding  and buck sightings will increase......

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

4Lions04

I've had really good experience with Dead Down Wind cover spray.  My dad has had a yearling follow his trail right to his tree using the EverCalm Stick.  Like some have said, the wind is usually the biggest factor.   

4Lions04

tophawg19

if you are hunting a high pressure area then use little or no scent. every one else is and deer pick up on them. kind of like rattling it can spoke them.Also a little can go a long ways . often bucks sneak in and scent check from a distance and will circle in the wind to check . i always put out the scent and back away at least 100 yards from it. I have seen bucks pick up the scent from over a 1/4 mile away . Another thing to remember is often Does will shy away from the scent, especially if they are close to being in heat. they don't want to be harrassed by ready bucks . And younger bucks tend to sneak in to keep from being busted by the big boys . keep working the wind cause bucks scent check scrapes from a distance first . that is why so many scrape hunters have bucks come in behind them. they set up too close to the scrape
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins