Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Svalbard, Norway

Started by bennyl08, April 15, 2017, 04:35:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Anybody ever been to Svalbard before? I'm taking a short summer class up there so I'm looking for travel tips once it is over.

I'm frugal so expensive things are not on my list. I'm looking for scenery and nature that isn't too expensive.

For example, currently, I'm debating trying to get to Reine which would be at the upper limit of spending, but to get to see scenery like this.

Are there more accessible locations that rival that in scenery? What is the easiest/cheapest way to get around from place to place in the Lofoten islands?

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

I don't know, but that is pretty sick scenery.  hope you take some pics while you are there
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 26, 2017, 06:51:27 pm
I don't know, but that is pretty sick scenery.  hope you take some pics while you are there

I plan on it, so long as I don't get eaten by a polar bear (On Svalbard, they outnumber humans).
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 26, 2017, 08:11:48 pm
I plan on it, so long as I don't get eaten by a polar bear (On Svalbard, they outnumber humans).

Just be sure you aren't the slowest one in the group.......

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2017, 08:43:11 pm
Just be sure you aren't the slowest one in the group.......

While we in the states make fun of Davos for her comments on elementary schools needing guns to protect from bears...

In Svalbard, the university has semi-mandatory rifle training where anybody going out for a hike is required to have at least one person with a polar bear killing rifle and the training for it. Of course, if you do end up killing a polar bear, there's a lot of legal proceedings to clear because obviously they don't want polar bears being killed needlessly.

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 26, 2017, 11:45:31 pm
While we in the states make fun of Davos for her comments on elementary schools needing guns to protect from bears...

In Svalbard, the university has semi-mandatory rifle training where anybody going out for a hike is required to have at least one person with a polar bear killing rifle and the training for it. Of course, if you do end up killing a polar bear, there's a lot of legal proceedings to clear because obviously they don't want polar bears being killed needlessly.

Ok, now just make sure they can hit what they are shooting at.......

Jackrabbit Hog

April 27, 2017, 01:58:54 pm #6 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:02:04 pm by Jackrabbit Hog
I recommend you rent a car.  I hear you can get a great rate on a Fjord Explorer there.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bplease

Take a good pair of binoculars at a minimum if not a decent zoom lens setup!
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

bennyl08

Follow up question.

I'm guessing a few more people have been to Oslo than Svalbard. When I'm done way up north, I'm going to rent a car is Oslo and take a loop to the Unesco world heritage site that's a fjord (Greiranger) and up to Trollveggan to climb that peak and looping around.

Norway has a right to nature so I know that camping is essentially legal and free most places that aren't private property. Anybody know any good free spots to camp around the area?

oldhawg

Although it has been a few years ago, there was a time that my job took me to Norway fairly frequently.  I really enjoyed traveling up and down the coast, lots of beautiful scenery.  Bergen (and area) sticks in my mind as a small town/city that I would like to return to some day.