Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mitchell Smith

Started by -Blu, August 14, 2015, 09:40:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Finally got his ranking from 247.  Has scheduled a visit with Mizzou and working on one with Creighton.  He didn't have that good of a summer as far as production, going to be interesting to see how his recruiting goes from here.  I'm actually curious to know if we are still heavily pursuing him.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Missouri-hosting-three-star-power-forward-38731170

http://247sports.com/Player/Mitchell-Smith-37412

Razoryak

Quote from: -Blu on August 14, 2015, 09:40:11 am
Finally got his ranking from 247.  Has scheduled a visit with Mizzou and working on one with Creighton.  He didn't have that good of a summer as far as production, going to be interesting to see how his recruiting goes from here.  I'm actually curious to know if we are still heavily pursuing him.

I hope so, gotta keep these Arkansas kids home
Woo Pig

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on August 14, 2015, 09:40:11 am

It was surprising to not see him take off this offseason. Many expected a Portis like summer jump from him, but it just didn't happen.

The Hogfather

August 14, 2015, 10:25:58 am #3 Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:49:47 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2015, 10:22:25 am
It was surprising to not see him take off this offseason. Many expected a Portis like summer jump from him, but it just didn't happen.

I did, after what I saw on video earlier in the year.  He oozes potential and has a lot of skill.  He seems to lack the tenacity and will that Portis had/has.  Hopefully, this will come, but often you are either born with it or not.  I'm pulling for him to take that next step and become a dominant force for Arkansas!

Ray_Finkle

The kid has a ton of potential!  I just don't see the drive in him to want to tap into that potential.  The games I have watched him play seemed like he should have dominated the competition but only had mediocre games.  He never really seemed to demand the ball like I think a player with his size and skill should do.  Hopefully he can flip the switch and start showing more of that potential this coming year.

UNCLE BACK

You are rarely going to see people shine when they play alongside Monk.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2015, 10:22:25 am

Yea, I got to see some Wings game on stream this summer, and he just didn't seem aggressive at times.  There was a few times though, where I was like "Wow, nice move".  But, he only showed glimpses.  I would still take him if we have a spot available, you can tell he has upside.

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on August 14, 2015, 12:34:52 pm

That's kinda true.  But, as the biggest guy on the team, he could have done a little more.  Look at Eric Curry, before the summer, I don't think he had any offers.  Now, he has a ton of offers, and is a guy that a lot of high major schools are after, including us.  And he did this just by being aggressive and active around the rim.  Although you don't score as much with Monk on the team, you have a lot of high major coaches watching you because your playing alongside him.

The_Iceman

Some video of Mitchell for those who haven't seen him:

nwahogfan1

August 14, 2015, 08:42:31 pm #8 Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:00:58 am by nwahogfan1
I also was disappointed in Mitchell's production this summer but lets face it the Wing's team was a Monk's team.  Maybe that was a big reason for Mitchell's lack of production. 

But at Van Buren as Mitchell gained weight and strength, he got more aggressive each year.  If Mike recruits Mitchell then he will have to take a chance on Mitchell getting better here.  I like his game but have some doubts to his work ethic.  CMA will have to look into that.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 14, 2015, 08:42:31 pm
As Mitchell gained weight and strength, he has gotten more aggressive each year at VB.  If Mike recruits CMA then he will have to take a chance on Mitchell getting better here.

Come again?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 14, 2015, 03:18:41 pm

He kind of looked like Todd Day in the face. There is a lot to like in that video.

Hogimus Prime

Smith and Curry could do some damage in MA's system

Swinesong1

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 14, 2015, 09:50:16 pm
He kind of looked like Todd Day in the face. There is a lot to like in that video.
He just doesn't seem to have that "dog" in him to me.  Also, doesn't seem to have much lift.  He either barely dunked or didn't dunk on inside baskets.  Red flag to me.

Pigsfeat

Thanks for the video Ice. I had not seen him play yet. Looks like he has some touch around the basket. I like to see young men be able to do something besides dunk the ball!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

rude1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 15, 2015, 12:47:31 am
He just doesn't seem to have that "dog" in him to me.  Also, doesn't seem to have much lift.  He either barely dunked or didn't dunk on inside baskets.  Red flag to me.
This stuck out to me also. At 6'9" with long arms, he wasn't exactly playing above the rim. Didn't see anything resembling a post move in that clip either. At this point this kid appears to be a project along the lines of Trey Thompson.

RazorAg

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 15, 2015, 12:47:31 am

His lift is not great but it's fine for his size. Him not dunking around the basket is all about his mindset and approach. He can do it.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: RazorAg on August 16, 2015, 08:01:07 am
His lift is not great but it's fine for his size. Him not dunking around the basket is all about his mindset and approach. He can do it.

Isn't that something a collegiate strength program could change as well? I like his game personally.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

jackflash

I want to see him at Arkansas and go from there

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jackflash on August 21, 2015, 08:46:10 am
I want to see him at Arkansas and go from there

I also want him at Arkansas only if we can sign one or two JUCOs  bigs that would allow him time to mature and grow into a SEC player.  He is not right now.  He is not strong enough, skilled enough or thick enough but give him one or two years and he will be ready.  I don't want him to come in with the pressure on him to produce right away.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on August 14, 2015, 12:34:52 pm

Good point so wonder why so many fans want him to come in for a year and then leave.  Sure he would get his points, his stats and much pub but will we get wins with him?  I am not so sure. 

Plus can his ego be tamed by a mild mannered coach like CMA or does he need a fire plug coach?   What is best for him and what is best for us?

But I will admit if we do not sign Monk it will put a BIG Black Eye on Mike Anderson's Face in recruiting and he already has a small black eye now. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Ray Piggers on August 16, 2015, 10:32:17 pm
Isn't that something a collegiate strength program could change as well? I like his game personally.

totaly agree on teh strength program, upper and lower body...

Dominicanhog

who don't want that...

billmontgomery10

Mitchell Smith signed with Missouri over Oklahoma State and Mississippi State. The Hogs are going to regret not going after him harder. If Monk doesn't sign the top 5 Arkansas high school players will all have gone elsewhere.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on November 12, 2015, 08:02:53 am
Mitchell Smith signed with Missouri over Oklahoma State and Mississippi State. The Hogs are going to regret not going after him harder. If Monk doesn't sign the top 5 Arkansas high school players will all have gone elsewhere.

chiefhawg

Arguably, The top 3 JUCOs in the nation will have signed with Arkansas. One of the top JUCOs is from Arkansas.

klp1

November 12, 2015, 09:23:17 am #25 Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:29:20 am by klp1

The 2nd best high school player in the state, regardless of class,is 2017 UA commit

Hawg Red

I liked the potential of Mitchell Smith, but I don't disagree with how the staff proceeded with him. Mitchell didn't have a great summer on the AAU circuit and he needed to. I get that it's a lot easier for guards to showcase themselves and stand out in AAU because they control the ball, but there are plenty of other things Mitchell could have done to stand out. Could have shown a better motor, better aggression, better toughness. He's got the talent. Switch needs to be flipped. Staff went after better guys that were giving them a clearer picture of they'd translate to the SEC. They missed on all of them until one of them opened things back up and promptly picked the Hogs. If Mitchell had waited until the spring, and I don't blame him for picking a school early, he'd have a pretty good shot at being a Hog, IMO. Just one of those things. I've said it before, but all of this increased talent in the state is going end up being tough to recruit when you want to go after out-of-state kids, too. MA and staff should be able to rack up annually with the top in-state players if they make them the priority. But this 2016 class was one where they had too many national/regional options. We lost Payton Willis and Mitchell Smith, but we also go Jaylen Barford and Arlando Cook from outside the state. I think we got the better two guys, honestly. Mitchell's a 4-year player, though, so you can't feel bad about not getting him because Cook is much more likely to produce in those two seasons than Mitchell is. By the time Mitchell starts producing (if he does), we'll be raving about Gafford.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 12, 2015, 09:31:51 am
We lost Payton Willis and Mitchell Smith, but we also go Jaylen Barford and Arlando Cook from outside the state. I think we got the better two guys, honestly. Mitchell's a 4-year player, though, so you can't feel bad about not getting him because Cook is much more likely to produce in those two seasons than Mitchell is. By the time Mitchell starts producing (if he does), we'll be raving about Gafford.

I agree with this. Barford is a monster. Cook will produce in 2016, unlike Mitchell. If we are expecting to bring in Monk, we need a roster ready to compete for the SEC Title, and a deep NCAA run.

Hawg Red

The_Iceman

November 12, 2015, 09:59:03 am #30 Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:46:37 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: Hawg Red on November 12, 2015, 09:45:12 am
Would be great to a two-man all-Arkansas class for 2017. I think we're only supposed to have 2-3 scholarships open for that class.

2017 Roster as of now:
Barford (Senior)
Macon (Senior)
Cook (Senior)
Thompson (Senior)
Beard (Senior, if he is still here)
Thomas (Senior, if he is still here)
Jenkins (Junior)
Whitt (Junior)
Bailey (Sophomore)
Gafford (Freshman)
Garland? (Frehsman)

It will depend on Beard and Thomas. Could be 2 or 3, could be 4 or 5. But holy cow, Mike is gonna have to put in a lot of work on the recruiting trail for the 2018 class. That's a long ways off though.

hogwood

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 12, 2015, 09:45:12 am
Would be great to a two-man all-Arkansas class for 2017. I think we're only supposed to have 2-3 scholarships open for that class.

We will potentially have 4 scholarships available for the 2017 class. Kingsley, Watkins, Hannahs will all be seniors in the 16-17 season. If we get Monk, we can assume he will enter the 2017 draft. That would be 4 spots.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 12, 2015, 09:59:03 am
2017 Roster as of now:
Barford (Senior)
Macon (Senior)
Cook (Senior)
Thompson (Senior)
Beard (Senior, if he is still here)
Thomas (Senior, if he is still here)
Watkins (Senior)
Jenkins (Junior)
Whitt (Junior)
Bailey (Sophomore)
Gafford (Freshman)
Garland? (Frehsman)

It will depend on Beard and Thomas. Could be 2 or 3, could be 4 or 5. But holy cow, Mike is gonna have to put in a lot of work on the recruiting trail for the 2018 class. That's a long ways off though.

Watkins will actually be gone.  He's a junior this year, senior in 2016, gone in 2017.

TomBigBeeHog

That '17 team would be awesome with all those guys. Too bad Mitchell went to Mizzou. Hate to root against the guy when he plays us. Same as Willis with Vandy.

Also, could have sworn I saw Sully talking about Lawson Korita's commitment to Tulsa and saying that Korita had dreamed of going to Tulsa since the age of three. I'm pretty sure the only three year olds who even know Tulsa is a word live there. Good luck to the kid but that had a faint taste of sour grapes.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: hogwood on November 12, 2015, 10:18:05 am
We will potentially have 4 scholarships available for the 2017 class. Kingsley, Watkins, Hannahs will all be seniors in the 16-17 season. If we get Monk, we can assume he will enter the 2017 draft. That would be 4 spots.

For that 2017 class I would like to see Gafford, Garland, a transfer, and a system fit 4 year guy, kinda like Bailey is.  For that transfer I'd like to see a guard that can learn the system for a year then come in and be ready to play big minutes immediately.  We'll be stacked in 2016-2017 with guards, but most of them leave, need a guy that's ready to take over.

billmontgomery10

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 12, 2015, 09:31:51 am
I liked the potential of Mitchell Smith, but I don't disagree with how the staff proceeded with him. Mitchell didn't have a great summer on the AAU circuit and he needed to. I get that it's a lot easier for guards to showcase themselves and stand out in AAU because they control the ball, but there are plenty of other things Mitchell could have done to stand out. Could have shown a better motor, better aggression, better toughness. He's got the talent. Switch needs to be flipped. Staff went after better guys that were giving them a clearer picture of they'd translate to the SEC. They missed on all of them until one of them opened things back up and promptly picked the Hogs. If Mitchell had waited until the spring, and I don't blame him for picking a school early, he'd have a pretty good shot at being a Hog, IMO. Just one of those things. I've said it before, but all of this increased talent in the state is going end up being tough to recruit when you want to go after out-of-state kids, too. MA and staff should be able to rack up annually with the top in-state players if they make them the priority. But this 2016 class was one where they had too many national/regional options. We lost Payton Willis and Mitchell Smith, but we also go Jaylen Barford and Arlando Cook from outside the state. I think we got the better two guys, honestly. Mitchell's a 4-year player, though, so you can't feel bad about not getting him because Cook is much more likely to produce in those two seasons than Mitchell is. By the time Mitchell starts producing (if he does), we'll be raving about Gafford.

Good response. I agree with the desire to quick fix things next year after what is probably going to be a depressing year this year, with jucos, but I think Smith is a diamond in the rough and a good coach can bring out the fire in him. It's obvious he has the talent. If Ben H. at MSU was after him hard, it's apparent he saw the upside. Oh well, I hope Anderson can start signing talent in this state (like Gafford) in the future.

-Blu

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on November 12, 2015, 10:24:13 am
Good response. I agree with the desire to quick fix things next year after what is probably going to be a depressing year this year, with jucos, but I think Smith is a diamond in the rough and a good coach can bring out the fire in him. It's obvious he has the talent. If Ben H. at MSU was after him hard, it's apparent he saw the upside. Oh well, I hope Anderson can start signing talent in this state (like Gafford) in the future.

Where did you read Miss St. was after him hard?  I kept up with Smith's recruiting and his biggest reported offers were Creighton, Missouri, and Arkansas, and the Arkansas offer was no longer on the tablet at the time he committed.  Maybe the old staff at Miss St. offered him, but I highly doubt the new staff offered.

The_Iceman

For the 2017 class, don't forget about SK Shittu.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on November 12, 2015, 10:18:05 am

I'm operating under the assumption that the staff sticks to the plan and Watkins is back as a walk-on as a senior (likely giving up his scholarship to a transfer).

hogwood

Quote from: -Blu on November 12, 2015, 10:23:07 am
For that 2017 class I would like to see Gafford, Garland, a transfer, and a system fit 4 year guy, kinda like Bailey is.  For that transfer I'd like to see a guard that can learn the system for a year then come in and be ready to play big minutes immediately.  We'll be stacked in 2016-2017 with guards, but most of them leave, need a guy that's ready to take over.

Gafford and Garland. Shittu could be your system fit. Would love to get another CG to as Monk will be gone and Whitt may leave for pros the year after. Barford graduates in 18 too. I think Jamal Johnson out of AL is almost identical to Whitt but AL and AUB are all over him. I wouldn't care if we never get another transfer again. Would rather have CMA get his top prospects first. Transfers never are. They are always our scramble guys in the spring.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on November 12, 2015, 12:01:46 pm
Gafford and Garland. Shittu could be your system fit. Would love to get another CG to as Monk will be gone and Whitt may leave for pros the year after. Barford graduates in 18 too. I think Jamal Johnson out of AL is almost identical to Whitt but AL and AUB are all over him. I wouldn't care if we never get another transfer again. Would rather have CMA get his top prospects first. Transfers never are. They are always our scramble guys in the spring.

I actually think the transfers Anderson has brought in are good system fits. Harris and Gulley provided great depth and defensive toughness (Harris also hit some big shots). We expect Hannahs to be a productive player, and Thomas fits the profile as well. Miles is a good system fit on paper but we've seen nothing on the court yet. We will, one way or the other, this year. I have full confidence in a Mike Anderson transfer. He's seen them at the D1 level and has a pretty good idea (moreso than a JUCO or prep player) how they'll fit what he does. Great way to add veteran depth and even out classes.

-Blu

Quote from: hogwood on November 12, 2015, 12:01:46 pm

Hawg Red hit it before I could say it.  But, yea our transfers CMA has brought in have all worked out pretty well.  Miles is really the only transfer that has ever been in question, and I mean he was a 4-star guy coming out of high school, and a starter at WV, a lot of schools would have taken him.  And after watching him in Red/White and these 2 exhibitions I'm now fully convinced he was hurt last year.  He looks like a completely different player, A LOT more explosive and quicker.  He's not going to score much.  But, I'm thinking he'll be top 3 this year in rebounds, steals, and blocks on the team.   And he'll give us a few exciting dunk highlights.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on November 12, 2015, 12:41:42 pm
Hawg Red hit it before I could say it.  But, yea our transfers CMA has brought in have all worked out pretty well.  Miles is really the only transfer that has ever been in question, and I mean he was a 4-star guy coming out of high school, and a starter at WV, a lot of schools would have taken him.  And after watching him in Red/White and these 2 exhibitions I'm now fully convinced he was hurt last year.  He looks like a completely different player, A LOT more explosive and quicker.  He's not going to score much.  But, I'm thinking he'll be top 3 this year in rebounds, steals, and blocks on the team.   And he'll give us a few exciting dunk highlights.

Agreed. I think our program can be a program that benefits greatly from transfers and JUCO's, especially ones that are in-state kids that couldn't make it to Arkansas out of high school (Gulley, Hannahs, Harris). Mix that in with some in-state HS kids and from the surrounding areas, and you can put together a good roster.

Tacomeat

Did anyone see this kid vs. Bentonville Saturday... Wow. We let one get away if he plays like that consistently. SMH

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Tacomeat on March 07, 2016, 08:47:34 pm
Did anyone see this kid vs. Bentonville Saturday... Wow. We let one get away if he plays like that consistently. SMH

Yes. Completely fouled up on that one.
[CENSORED]!

poloprince

Quote from: Tacomeat on March 07, 2016, 08:47:34 pm

And this is based off of one  game?  What were his season averages?
$PoLoPrInCe$

LA Football fan

If he can play like that one game, he can play like that many more.  But I agree, players can just have that magical night where they play lights out and everyone wonders where that came from and why didn't we see it before.  The thing is,  he is going to be playing AGAINST us the next 4 years.  Losing a player that you might never play against is one thing, but losing TWO players in Smith and Willis that we will possibly face 4 years each may really come back to haunt us. 

Too late now and I like the Juco's Mike did sign too.   Mike and his staff's job security is definitely on the line next year and you can bet EVERYONE is going to be watching to see how the Juco's perform compared to the players he let walk out the door.  Their experience factor would indicate they SHOULD be better and for the sake of our program I really hope they are.  You cannot coach size and with the way we got hammered on the boards by South Carolina you have to think are we bringing enough size in to keep that from being a common occurrence.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on November 12, 2015, 12:41:42 pm

He is a 5th year senior.  I expect those stats out of a freshman. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 12, 2015, 12:11:50 pm
I actually think the transfers Anderson has brought in are good system fits. Harris and Gulley provided great depth and defensive toughness (Harris also hit some big shots). We expect Hannahs to be a productive player, and Thomas fits the profile as well. Miles is a good system fit on paper but we've seen nothing on the court yet. We will, one way or the other, this year. I have full confidence in a Mike Anderson transfer. He's seen them at the D1 level and has a pretty good idea (moreso than a JUCO or prep player) how they'll fit what he does. Great way to add veteran depth and even out classes.

To me you do not bring in a older transfer to be a solid back up.  You waste a RS year so he better come in and bring the wood and not sit on the Pine.

yraciv

Was he guarded by 6'5, 6'6 Asa Hutchinson Jr.? Bentonville doesn't have an adequate big man to guard him this year.