Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black Eyed Peas for New Years???

Started by BR, December 30, 2010, 07:23:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Black Eyed Peas for New Years???  Who Does them??

What do serve with them???

We have fried taters, jalepino  sweet cornbread...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Shag66

Make Hoppin' John out of them.. 

I hate the damn things but I can handle Hoppin' John...

Boarcephus

We go pretty simple at our house.  Little black eyed peas with Zatarains and hot sauce and Petit Jean Smoke Hog Jowls just to make it legit.  Make sure the dogs eat a pea or two because getting them to eat hog jowls is not a problem.  Probably throw a ribeye on the egg for something substantial to eat.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Shag66

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2010, 08:10:38 pm
We go pretty simple at our house.  Little black eyed peas with Zatarains and hot sauce and Petit Jean Smoke Hog Jowls just to make it legit.  Make sure the dogs eat a pea or two because getting them to eat hog jowls is not a problem.  Probably throw a ribeye on the egg for something substantial to eat.

How do you cook your steaks on the Egg Boarcephus?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Shag66 on December 30, 2010, 08:16:31 pm
How do you cook your steaks on the Egg Boarcephus?

Changed it up honestly.  I sear the porterhouse at around 650 but lately I've set the egg at around 325, coat the ribeyes with Cavenders and go from there.  Just easier that way because I can cook my stuffed peppers and crab legs/lobsters at the same heat as the steaks.  Works out well because I can coat the steaks with the butter and garlic marinate I do the lobsters with.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Shag66

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 30, 2010, 08:24:22 pm
Changed it up honestly.  I sear the porterhouse at around 650 but lately I've set the egg at around 325, coat the ribeyes with Cavenders and go from there.  Just easier that way because I can cook my stuffed peppers and crab legs/lobsters at the same heat as the steaks.  Works out well because I can coat the steaks with the butter and garlic marinate I do the lobsters with.

Yup...  I hear ya...  I've been doing high heat too and the steaks come out great, but you have to really watch them.  If you miss it by a minute they are over done...  I may dial mine back too...

Boarcephus

Quote from: Shag66 on December 30, 2010, 08:50:49 pm
Yup...  I hear ya...  I've been doing high heat too and the steaks come out great, but you have to really watch them.  If you miss it by a minute they are over done...  I may dial mine back too...

The ribeyes we get at Sam's are so thick it's just hard to sear them.  Seems like you burn the outside but the inside is raw.   Just have better control at the lower temp.  Lately the ribeyes has been my meat of choice.

Shag66

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 31, 2010, 05:33:54 am
The ribeyes we get at Sam's are so thick it's just hard to sear them.  Seems like you burn the outside but the inside is raw.   Just have better control at the lower temp.  Lately the ribeyes has been my meat of choice.

We did some Strip Steaks not too long ago that were about 1-1/2" thick...  I did them at about 550-600.  They came out awesome but I left them on about half a minute to a minute too long.  At 600 it only takes a couple of minutes each side and they can get over done in a flash.  Those came out closer to Medium than the medium Rare I was looking for...  Luckily the Egg keeps the meat juicy anyway! 

Boarcephus

We'll eat well tomorrow.  Stopped by Sam's this am and bought a 1.49 pound ribeye, 1.2 pound lobster tail, and some filets.   Plan on cooking in the 325 range again.  Just a lot more wiggle room, if you know what I mean.  After that, it'll be time for a nap.

BR

After cooking all night, they are almost ready.. Some Red & Green Peppers, Red Onions & Garlic with a big ole Ham Hock... Fry some Taters later...  Good Eats

Tim Harris

We have black eyed peas, corn bread, fried taters, and some spinach at my mother in laws this afternoon.  Although they aren't my favorite it was a pretty good meal.

ozarkshogfan

I hate black eyed peas    :puke:
just for the record

DeltaBoy

We eat them every New years with Fried Taters and Fat Back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on January 01, 2011, 07:49:15 pm
I hate black eyed peas    :puke:
just for the record

Also just for the record....I eat them once a year.  I am not a black eyed pea fan but I refuse to take a chance on bad luck!

DeltaBoy

I eat BEP about 3 times a month.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 07, 2011, 04:10:43 pm
Also just for the record....I eat them once a year.  I am not a black eyed pea fan but I refuse to take a chance on bad luck!
I'll take my chances with the bad luck thing

DeltaBoy

We add Pace HOT Salsa , cubed ham and a 1/2 cup of sour cream at the end as a change of pace with a pan of corn bread.  My wife calls it BEP suprise.  I love it.

BR

Pulled(PP)pork

BR

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 27, 2014, 11:12:41 am
are they still together?  ;)

PP
Awesome....  Praying for ya Brother, hope 2K15 is a great one...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: BR on December 27, 2014, 11:18:03 am
Awesome....  Praying for ya Brother, hope 2K15 is a great one...
I appreciate it, maybe I should start eating some those nasty things on NYE

PP

BR

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 27, 2014, 11:25:32 am
I appreciate it, maybe I should start eating some those nasty things on NYE

PP
Wash it down with your favorite Beverage. It all will be good... Can't hurt.  I have done it for as long as I can remember... Even as a little tot in Arkansas... My 3 grandsons have done it every year snce they have been able to eat real food...

Hogwop

We've done it every year as far as I can remember so I don't see why this year would be any different. BEP, jalapeño corn bread, and a jar to Trappey's sweet hots, great start to a new year
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

BR

BR's Easy Crock-Pot Black Eye Peas...
6 cans Black Eye Peas
2 cans Rotel
2 Red Onions Diced
1 Green & Red & Yellow Peppers diced ( I love all the colors)
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning ( I use Slap yo Mama)
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Some Garlic (I use a big heaping spoonful of the diced garlic)
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
Some Ham Hocks or Ham.  1 pound at least (I cook a Christmas Ham, save ALL juices to add to Crock Pot) you can also throw some Bacon in there....... Put however as much as you want
2 cans Chicken or Ham Stock
If you need more Liquid you can add more stock.

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours, I cook mine overnight.
Serve with some Fried Taters, Spinach and some Jalapeno Sweet Cornbread.

dhornjr1

Quote from: BR on December 28, 2014, 06:05:12 pm
BR's Easy Crock-Pot Black Eye Peas...
6 cans Black Eye Peas
2 cans Rotel
2 Red Onions Diced
1 Green & Red & Yellow Peppers diced ( I love all the colors)
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning ( I use Slap yo Mama)
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
Some Garlic (I use a big heaping spoonful of the diced garlic)
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
Some Ham Hocks or Ham.  1 pound at least (I cook a Christmas Ham, save ALL juices to add to Crock Pot) you can also throw some Bacon in there....... Put however as much as you want
2 cans Chicken or Ham Stock
If you need more Liquid you can add more stock.

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours, I cook mine overnight.
Serve with some Fried Taters, Spinach and some Jalapeno Sweet Cornbread.

That's reminiscent of redneck caviar.

http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-redneck-caviar-371374

BR

The Blackeyed Peas are simmering, get a couple of good days for all the flavors to melt together

dhornjr1

Quote from: BR on December 30, 2014, 08:39:16 am
The Blackeyed Peas are simmering, get a couple of good days for all the flavors to melt together

Lord have mercy, that looks good. Just look at those colors.

BR

dhornjr1

Is it real hot with the rotel, red pepper flakes and cajun seasoning? My little ones can't handle the heat yet.

PharmacistHog

Looking good. We dont really have any new years traditions. I usually do jowl but havent even bought any of that this year. Im gonna be home by myself. But still thinkin about shortribs again.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

BR

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 31, 2014, 01:13:11 pm
Is it real hot with the rotel, red pepper flakes and cajun seasoning? My little ones can't handle the heat yet.
Rotel only not bad at all, increase Brown sugar and taste as you add...

dhornjr1

Quote from: BR on December 31, 2014, 02:09:17 pm
Rotel only not bad at all, increase Brown sugar and taste as you add...

Will do. Thanks.

rcopela

I started BR's peas this morning, I used ham, bacon & kielbasa in mine, kitchen is smelling good, fried tators, fried cabbage & cornbread this evening, can't wait

Jeffcphog

I substitute black eyed peas with purple hulls.  Now that is good eats.

PorkRinds

I had peas with hog jowl, turnip greens, cornbread, and spaghetti and cheese.  Which is just what my mom used to make. Mac and cheese with broken up spaghetti noodles.

DeltaBoy

BR

Good Freakin Eats

[attachment deleted by admin]

zane

Made red beans and rice and cooked with the Christmas ham bone. Fried taters Mac and cheese, and cornbread rounded out the meal. I felt like a blown up deer tick afterwards!
RIP LSUfan

DeltaBoy

Had BEP and corn bread last night during this bad weather.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2015, 12:01:17 pm
Please tell me it was proper cornbread....

It was just plain Jiffy in a hot cast iron pan greased with bacon drippings.

PorkRinds

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2015, 05:43:18 pm
That sounds right proper - not that sweet stuff Yankees call cornbread...

Jiffy is sweet cornbread, but it's pretty darn good.  It's not home made, but it's good.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 26, 2015, 08:33:17 am
Jiffy is sweet cornbread, but it's pretty darn good.  It's not home made, but it's good.

I just finshed up using a bunch of that Martha White brand Cornmeal mix I bought on Clearance during Thanksgiving.  I got it for 50 cents a bag.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 26, 2015, 09:30:26 am
I just finshed up using a bunch of that Martha White brand Cornmeal mix I bought on Clearance during Thanksgiving.  I got it for 50 cents a bag.

I like to follow my grandpas formula (can't call it a recipe because there is no measuring) when I'm making cornbread usually.  But some things just go well with a sweet cornbread muffin, and I like the jiffy corn muffins.  They're great with something that's a bit spicy. 

DeltaBoy

Brother where I was raised it was Martha White or Jiffy for Cornbread,  The women in the family used cornmeal for tons of other things but Corn bread was the premade mix from the aforementioned brands.  I tried my hand at making Corn bread the old fashioned way and it was a brick that got fed to the birds.

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2015, 12:02:05 pm
...and by the way BR - that dish of yours looks better and better with each passing day.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.
Thank you for the kind words...

twistitup

I love cornbread muffins too. Just pour into cupcake pan, cook and let cool. I bag up a dozen or so for the week. They go good w lots of meals I cook
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

Yep Dad always had mom make corn bread muffins on Sunday afternoon to carry to work during the winter time.  Dad had s pair of wide mouth Stanley Thermos's that he carried stew or soup in for lunch on the job site.

BR

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: BR on December 30, 2014, 08:39:16 am

I am doing this for NYD.  I am using the dried peas in the crock pot.  I have only done this with pinto beans before.  Are the cooking times pretty close to the same?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

BR

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on December 30, 2015, 04:36:55 pm
I am doing this for NYD.  I am using the dried peas in the crock pot.  I have only done this with pinto beans before.  Are the cooking times pretty close to the same?
No Clue Brother, I buy the cans...