Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy's Coach

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, December 31, 2011, 03:56:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Franklin just went crazy on the sidelines after his punter got hit. Replay showed the punter was inbounds and no flag was warranted. Kudos to the officiating crew for not throwing a flag over a "knee jerk" reaction. Franklin did the same thing after the Wade hit and we all saw the results. His sideline antics are weak.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Uberanubis

actually one should have been thrown. it was completely obvious he was going out of bounds. the hit was unnecessary.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

hvsupastar

Idk about his sideline antics but I can tell you this. Vandy's got themselves a helluva football coach
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Bassrox

He was still in bounds when he was hit. It was legal. OP is right.

PowderedPig

Just realized our hit of the year came from our freshman wide receiver...

Bequette's on Connor Shaw was pretty beast-mode, too.

YtownHog

Quote from: Uberanubis on December 31, 2011, 03:59:19 pm
actually one should have been thrown. it was completely obvious he was going out of bounds. the hit was unnecessary.

I will respectfully disagree.  If you don't want to be hit than get your butt out of bounds.  This is the same crap that the qb at south Carolina did against us last year.  What if that guy would have just assumed he was going going out of bound let him go and he turne it up for another 15 yards.  I just think get out of bounds if you don't want to get hit.

(notOM)Rebel123

December 31, 2011, 04:03:44 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:05:38 pm by Rebel123
I agree that he us a good coach. I just think, at times, he acts like an idiot on the sidelines. Plus, TV commentators said it was a good "no call".

Ugly Uncle

Franklin is a good coach, but he is a whiner and a baby.  He also teaches his players to play dirty.

The hit was clean and a good hit.  If you are in bounds you are fair game.
Retired Radio Host

Uberanubis

I agree that he was IN bounds. by half a centimeter. yes technically it was legal. he WAS tying to get out of bounds he was running right for it. had he not been touched he would have gone out in THE SAME SPOT. what would you have said if he got hurt?

It was an unnecessary hit. had he been a QB a flag would have been thrown.

there are enough injuries. no need to add to them.

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 31, 2011, 04:15:06 pm
Franklin is a good coach, but he is a whiner and a baby.  He also teaches his players to play dirty.

Quote from: Rebel123 on December 31, 2011, 04:03:44 pm
I agree that he us a good coach. I just think, at times, he acts like an idiot on the sidelines. Plus, TV commentators said it was a good "no call".

This is pretty much all coaches in the NCAA.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ATU HOG

He was defending his player.  All of us would have done the exact same thing in his situation.  It happens so fast down there, he probably couldn't tell if it was late or not.  If it's close, I don't blame him at all for lobbying for a call.

CR7

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 31, 2011, 04:00:27 pm
Idk about his sideline antics but I can tell you this. Vandy's got themselves a helluva football coach

James Franklin or Goose Malzone?

DEVIL DOG HOG

If a TV commentator says one way, it is usually the other way.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

RollTideHog

Quote from: Rebel123 on December 31, 2011, 04:03:44 pm

who BP??

Feralhog

Quote from: Uberanubis on December 31, 2011, 04:20:49 pm
I agree that he was IN bounds. by half a centimeter. yes technically it was legal. he WAS tying to get out of bounds he was running right for it. had he not been touched he would have gone out in THE SAME SPOT. what would you have said if he got hurt?

This is the football forum, the marbles or tiddlywinks forum has a link up top.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

jry04

You have to be kidding me. You are saying he should be flagged because of what his possible intentions were? Had the guy held back from hitting him, and the punter turned up field he would have gained even more yards. You just said it was a legal hit, but complain a flag was not thrown because he was trying to go out of bounds. Sorry, but if a player is within the boundaries he should be fair game whether he is trying to score a TD, go out of bounds, or fall to the ground. Until the whistle is blown or he steps out of bounds he should be able to be tackled. You cannot throw flags on assumption that the player was stepping out so the player should have let up on hitting him.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

hogfan064

Inherited the most experienced team in the SEC with 20 starters back.  Vandy went 6-7 this year with their only SEC wins over awful UK and Ole Miss teams.  Lost to a terrible Tennessee team

(notOM)Rebel123

And he just dropped the F-Bomb on national TV. Happens to the best of 'em. Ha!

jry04

Quote from: Rebel123 on December 31, 2011, 06:05:50 pm
And he just dropped the F-Bomb on national TV. Happens to the best of 'em. Ha!
The league better review possible actions taken against him like they were for Bobby...

Spider-Pig

Good to see vandy is still vandy

Hawgvader

Thats a cute philosophy until you let up and the ball carrier goes around you IE Eric Metcalf.

rljjr

The we should just play flag football. It was good and clean. No big deal.

Nashville Fan

Maryland was about to fire Franklin when Vandy hired him. Makes sense as bad as Maryland is....
Pittman or Bust!

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Feralhog on December 31, 2011, 05:18:36 pm
This is the football forum, the marbles or tiddlywinks forum has a link up top.
:D
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

TeedupHigh

I am so sick and tired of this sissie assed so called football and the wayit's being played!!!  For goodness sake why not just play flag football!  This crap today stinks!  Football is a contact sport for now but folks it's getting sad to see some of the whinny assed coach's crying and begging for late hits, so called cheap hits and all the other crap that's going on!  All the this PC stuff is killing football, I've about stopped watching the NFL because of it!

jamie72921

Guys who cannot control their emotions any better than he does are not good coaches.

Our game with Vandy turned after he acted like a twerp and stood on the field trying to stare down Petrino after the Wade hit.

And his actions tonight took something out of his team as well. His low emotional maturity level is detrimental to his team.

If he doesn't change, he will wear out his welcome and burn out before his current contract runs its course.
Bless your heart

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 31, 2011, 04:15:06 pm

Sure can't tell by his record that he's a good coach. I think we're all so used to Vandy
coaches being as non combative as their teams are, that now that they've got a screamer
he looks better than he actually is.

rupert

We'll see how good Franklin is next year after the graduation (with degrees) of so many of his top players...he did inherit some good players, particularly on defense and did coach-them-up... however Vanderbilt didn't beat a good team all year (perhaps the best team they beat was Wake Forest),,,,wish they could have beaten Cincinnati..

hoggusamoungus

I'm in Nashville and have historically rooted for Vandy.  However, I'm tired of hearing about how they were so close against us, FL and UGA while no one bothers to mention they didn't beat a team with a winning record.  Elon, UCONN, UK, Nuttboy, Army and Wake were all under .500 for the year, plus they lost to a terrible UT team.   

Pistol Pete

Quote from: YtownHog on December 31, 2011, 04:02:29 pm
I will respectfully disagree.  If you don't want to be hit than get your butt out of bounds.  This is the same crap that the qb at south Carolina did against us last year.  What if that guy would have just assumed he was going going out of bound let him go and he turne it up for another 15 yards.  I just think get out of bounds if you don't want to get hit.

I agree with you 100%

A lot of people are too young to remember to Southwest Conference days... It was Texas A&M's QB, Bucky somebody... he acted like he was going out of bounds, our safety let up... then he put his head down flattened our safety for about 5 more yards.

If the ball carrier is in bounds, tackle him as hard as you can.
On a similar note, I don't think a fake spike is cool either... or a fake kneel-down (fake victory formation).

hogcard1964

Quote from: Uberanubis on December 31, 2011, 03:59:19 pm

+10000000

That was intentional. Not to mention the a&&hole taunted the fans on the sideline after the hit.

RAF

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 01, 2012, 11:33:38 am
+10000000

That was intentional. Not to mention the a&&hole taunted the fans on the sideline after the hit.
Every legal, in-bounds tackle in football is intentional.

razorback45

Franklin is more HighSchool that Gus M.  This holding 6 fingers up to signify that they need to play hard for 6 seconds then rest between plays.  Well they played hard for 6 seconds on the kickoff return that beat them.  I'd bet that if you time it from when the ball is kicked to the time the guy breaks the play its right at 6 seconds.

So much for that theory!
!!!!!!!!!!Love Those Hogs !!!!!!!!!!

RLWOLFEMAN

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 01, 2012, 11:33:38 am
+10000000

Where do you come up with this crap? If you do not like legal football plays find another sport. Players do not determine if a hit is unnecessary or not when on the field. Player in bounds is fair game.

RivercrestHog

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 01, 2012, 02:02:07 am
Guys who cannot control their emotions any better than he does are not good coaches.

Telling Les Miles "F you" isn't exactly controlling your emotions.

RLWOLFEMAN

Quote from: RivercrestHog on January 01, 2012, 01:54:15 pm
Telling Les Miles "F you" isn't exactly controlling your emotions.
Oh here we go.... Good post

RivercrestHog

Quote from: RLWOLFEMAN on January 01, 2012, 01:56:15 pm
Oh here we go.... Good post

Is it not true? If you the poster wants to say that people who can't control their emotions aren't good coaches, then he has to look at it both ways. I don't agree with that statement, for the record. I've seen Bobby and Saban both lose their cool on multiple occasions, and I still think they are the best coaches in the game.

Gonzo

I think the flag had very little to do with where the players were but rather that the defender slung the kid to the ground unnecessarily.

Go Hogs! Beat K State!!

rupert

I'm in Nashville and have historically rooted for Vandy.  However, I'm tired of hearing about how they were so close against us, FL and UGA while no one bothers to mention they didn't beat a team with a winning record.  Elon, UCONN, UK, Nuttboy, Army and Wake were all under .500 for the year, plus they lost to a terrible UT team.   
[/quote] I agree, I'm glad they got to go to a bowl, but it is way over-hyping a team that didn't beat anyone good...I live in Nashville and it sure looks a lot like the same ole Vanderbilt when they give up a kickoff return td after taking the lead

philobeddoe

For some reason, Franklin reminds me of TCTWF, in the way that he coaches and the way he acts on the sidelines.  Both coaches inherited a butt load of talent, which made them look a lot better than they actually were.  As far as side line antics, TCTWF could be quite animated.  Let's not forget the upside down horns episode after the game with texass was well in hand.

NorthshoreBoar

Last year Nelson knocked the mess out of Connor Shaw as he was trying to go out of bounds.  A flag was thrown and our fans (rightly) threw a fit. I see no difference.  The play is live until the player is out of bounds.  If he wants to avoid a hit he has 3 options: fall down, dive out of bounds, or not suit up in the first place.
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

theregoestalley

Quote from: philobeddoe on January 01, 2012, 02:12:22 pm
For some reason, Franklin reminds me of TCTWF, in the way that he coaches and the way he acts on the sidelines.  Both coaches inherited a butt load of talent, which made them look a lot better than they actually were.  As far as side line antics, TCTWF could be quite animated.  Let's not forget the upside down horns episode after the game with texass was well in hand.

umm what? Vandy was coming off back to back 2-10 seasons. Nutt came into an Ole Miss team that was 0-8 the year before and an Arkansas team that was 4-12 the 2 years before under Danny Ford.

I agree both are guys who will eventually have people turn against them due to some kind of excessive sideline antics

idochog

Just bc you are a screamer, doesn't make you a good coach.
See: will muschamp
I love Jesus!

jkstock04

Franklin's antics on the sidelines remind me a lot of HDN.  Too much emotion gets in the way of intelligent thought.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys