Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STOCK CAR RACIN' IN ARKANSAS

Started by DirtTrackFan, January 07, 2015, 07:36:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtTrackFan

January 07, 2015, 07:36:50 am Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:32:30 pm by DirtTrackFan
As my screen name says i am fond of dirt tracks, i love the racing on little 1/4 mile bull rings and i can give you an ear-full about it.  I am usually partial to the full body classes, but Outlaw Modifieds on a short track are impressive as are Sprints.
If you are not usually a dirt track patron or if you are looking for places to see local racing in the upcoming 2015 season i hope this list of speedways around Ark. helps you.  I've also listed the nights these tracks usually operate, but be sure to check the websites to make sure race nights have not changed.

Crawford County Speedway, saturdays hwy 59 north of Van Buren
http://www.crawfordcountyspeedway.net/

Yellville, fridays between Yellville & Flippin on 62 hwy
http://dsmotorsports-llc.com/schedule.htm

Batesville, fridays (specials on saturdays) west of B'ville @ Locust Grove
http://www.batesvillemotorspeedway.net/

Crowleys Ridge, saturdays between Paragould & Jonesboro on Ark. 351
http://www.crraceway.com/

Harrisburg, fridays northeast of town on Raceway Rd.
http://www.neaspeedway.com/#!

West Memphis, saturdays just south of the Interstate
http://www.riversideinternationalspeedway.com/

Plumerville, fridays on hwy. 64 east of town
Re-opening in 2021.

Centerville, saturdays on Petillo Hill Rd.
http://www.centervillespeedway.com/index2.html

Little Rock, saturdays @ county line at Alexander
http://www.i-30speedway.com/

Warren, saturdays southwest of Warren on Bradley 7 Rd S
http://www.warrenarspeedway.com/Home.html

Murfreesboro, saturdays southwest of town on hwy. 27
http://diamondparkspeedway.com/Results.html

Texarkana, saturdays next to interstate near Homan on Mandeville Rd.
https://www.facebook.com/Texarkana67Speedway

Just over the line in Oklahoma:

Tri State Speedway, saturdays west of Fort Smith @ Pocola
http://www.tri-statespeedway.com/

Flint Creek Speedway, fridays hwy. 412 West Siloam Springs
http://www.flintcreekspeedway.com/

Also the owner of the track at Caddo Gap north of Glenwood (formerly known as Thunber Mtn. Speedway) has plans to operate the track in 2015 but there is no website yet.

tophawg19

thanks . wish a mod would sticky this post . hate to see monticello track sitting empty. it was a good one . Murfreesboro is a high banked fast track . lots of fun there . Warren is a small tight track with lots of banging .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Racinray

I've been to several of those tracks and would like to go to several more of them, but my track of choice is Tri State, practically raised there and its close to home. ;)

pigture perfect

I used to go to Cleburne county raceway on Friday's and Independence county on Saturday's. I guess Cleburne county is no more and Independence is now Batesville Speedway. I got to see Mark Martin's first race, but the real stars back then were Larry Shaw and Vance Cook. Lots of fun. I go to County Line in Little Rock occasionally now. Lots of fun, and the aroma of fuel and rubber takes me back to the good ole days.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tophawg19

still love the sprints at i 30 . watched Sammy Swindell and Steve Kinser put on a great show. Kinser riding the bottom with a straight away lead and Sammy rim riding and ran him down but just came up 1 lap short ,

DirtTrackFan

January 07, 2015, 10:14:11 pm #5 Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:25:24 pm by DirtTrackFan
Quote from: tophawg19 on January 07, 2015, 07:43:12 am
thanks . wish a mod would sticky this post . hate to see monticello track sitting empty. it was a good one . Murfreesboro is a high banked fast track . lots of fun there . Warren is a small tight track with lots of banging .

Hey the Monticello track was a palace wasn't it, even the rest rooms were immaculate, I announced some Late Model Races there in 2008.  Wish we had some of that red clay from Murfreesboro on the Plumerville track, its sweet and sticky. Ronnie & his crew from Warren are friends of ours - good folks and they are giving folks in that area what they want

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: Racinray on January 07, 2015, 06:44:05 pm
I've been to several of those tracks and would like to go to several more of them, but my track of choice is Tri State, practically raised there and its close to home. ;)

I grew up not too far east of Fort Smith, my older brother took me to my first race ever at the old Razorback track south of town and then next year took me to the first race at Tri State when it got paved  :)

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 07, 2015, 06:53:52 pm
I used to go to Cleburne county raceway on Friday's and Independence county on Saturday's. I guess Cleburne county is no more and Independence is now Batesville Speedway. I got to see Mark Martin's first race, but the real stars back then were Larry Shaw and Vance Cook. Lots of fun. I go to County Line in Little Rock occasionally now. Lots of fun, and the aroma of fuel and rubber takes me back to the good ole days.

Was Cleburne County the track at Tumbling Shoals ?  I think thats an Moto-Cross track now.  A friend of mines Dad used to run a car there and one of the older gents who works at Plumerville used to race there as well - they both have photos from Tumbling Shoals back when.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 07, 2015, 07:10:22 pm
still love the sprints at i 30 . watched Sammy Swindell and Steve Kinser put on a great show. Kinser riding the bottom with a straight away lead and Sammy rim riding and ran him down but just came up 1 lap short ,

The i-30 track used to be the best in the state for racing IMO. Not anymore though. About 3 years ago they resurfaced the track using "gumbo" dirt, so its not red clay anymore. Its pretty much sucked since then. The first year was REALLY bad but its gotten better.

Still nowhere as good as it used to be. When that red clay would take rubber and slick up it would be black as asphalt by the time the Latemodel/sprint/and modified features were up. After it rubbered up you could run the bottom (short way around but it was blacked up), the top where there was moisture on the cushion and in the middle where there was still a little moisture left over. Lots of GREAT 3 wide racing back in the day. Not anymore.

pigture perfect

Yeah, Cleburne County raceway was between Tumbling Shoals and Heber. I think. I was just a little guy when we went.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DirtTrackFan

I miss some of the old speedways, sure glad for the ones we have left

AirForceHog

Anything within reasonable driving distance from Hot Springs?
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

pick_DA_EAGLES

January 14, 2015, 10:14:34 pm #12 Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:52:07 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
I remember seeing Mark Martin race at des arc speedway (been gone for over 35 years) back in the mid 70's. I would also open,my window and listen to them when I couldn't go.

But now I like to go to the big races at B.M.S., some at i-30. Would like to go the track a Murfreesboro, saw some video from there, looks nice. Going to try to get to Lucas oil speedway this year to.

I worked on a hobby stock (street stock by today's rules), it was a fiberglass body on a camaro frame, in the early 90's we raced at Beebe, and plummerville (won like 13 features in a row) mostly. Raced some at batesville and i-30. Went to Harrisburg and Pocahontas a couple times.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 13, 2015, 09:20:54 pm

I -30 in Benton wouldn't be to bad of a drive.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on January 13, 2015, 06:21:32 pm
my dad used to take me there all the time in the early to mid 70's. my grandparents had a place on the lake not far away. we'd spend the day on the boat and the night at the races. still remember it well.
Good times I'm sure. We probably ran into each other at the concession stand.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 07, 2015, 07:43:12 am
Done
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

tophawg19

thanks . porcine . murfreesboro is an easy drive from hot springs as is several others . murfrees boro is an extremely fast track . I 30 has the sprints , great racing at both places

tophawg19

i grew up watching the old Petit Jean valley speedway between Perryville And morrilton . great racing back then. those boys were wild and rough

DirtTrackFan

I have not driven to Oppelo to see but a friend said the lights are still there at the old Petit Jean Speedway  ;)  I have said for years - " i should go take photos of old speedways & rodeo arenas while they are still there."

tophawg19

yep would be good . would love to see some pictures from there

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on January 13, 2015, 06:21:32 pm
my dad used to take me there all the time in the early to mid 70's. my grandparents had a place on the lake not far away. we'd spend the day on the boat and the night at the races. still remember it well.
Man that sounds like a great way to spend a saturday.  I love the sport, i am prone to show up at the track by 1 or so on race day and just hang out with the other workers & wander around.

tophawg19

yep i hate the enclosed trailers . half the fun was watching the cars come in and looking for new ones .

DirtTrackFan

Right on, i do the promotions and announcing for PSS and still after all these years i am excited each week when new/different cars show up  ;D

tophawg19

Racinray

Tri State is making major improvements. Ready for the 2015 season to begin.

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: Racinray on January 17, 2015, 12:43:10 pm
As i understand it, the guy who owns Outlaw @ Muskogee has bought Tri-State ?

Racinray

Quote from: DirtTrackFan on January 18, 2015, 06:16:03 pm
As i understand it, the guy who owns Outlaw @ Muskogee has bought Tri-State ?
He sold Outlaw to the guy that owns Longdale and then bought Tri State.

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 17, 2015, 12:19:39 pm
that would be a fun job
Oh it is !!  Food is free and they pay me to set on my butt and run my big ol' mouth :D

DirtTrackFan

DirtTrackFan

February 09, 2015, 07:14:17 pm #29 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:06:12 pm by DirtTrackFan
As mentioned above - the track at Caddo Gap will re-open this spring, there is no website yet but there is a facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/705280902924488/

Note 2-10-15:  Contrary to what this post previoiusly said - the decision was made last night to use the former name ' THUNDER MOUNTAIN SPEEDWAY '

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: AirForceHog on January 13, 2015, 09:20:54 pm
Thunder Mountain Speedway at Caddo Gap (between Glenwood & Mt. Ida) is in the process of re-opening after a 4 year hiatus.  It will be racing this season and is 35 miles from Hot Springs. 
No website yet but they built a Facebook page last night:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/705280902924488/

Racinray

Quote from: Racinray on January 17, 2015, 12:43:10 pm
If any of you guys are in the area you need to go by and look at the improvements. Track is looking good.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 11, 2015, 02:25:52 am
Yeah, Cleburne County raceway was between Tumbling Shoals and Heber. I think. I was just a little guy when we went.
Are we talking about Wynne Stadium?

DirtTrackFan

Wynne Stadium @ Drasco !!  Another track i never got too see :P
No, actually i believe Cleburne Co. Speedway was on the left at Tumbling Shoals going north, have not been thru there in 10 or 15 but it was a Moto Cross track not too long ago.

DirtTrackFan

Thunder Mountain Speedway at Caddo Gap now has a website, but it is just getting started and all that is on it are the rules:
http://thundermountainsuperspeedway.com/

DeWayne R

When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

DirtTrackFan

DeWayne R

Found the old Oppelo track. It's a pond now and you can still see the light poles in the corners.

When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

tophawg19

i grew up watching at that track . great  times . guys if you're familiar with any of these tracks . give a breakdown. warren is a tight , small track with lots of close racing and bumping is necessary . Nashville is a big wide track that is high banked and very fast . love this one .

DirtTrackFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 21, 2015, 12:09:55 am
i grew up watching at that track . great  times . guys if you're familiar with any of these tracks . give a breakdown. warren is a tight , small track with lots of close racing and bumping is necessary . Nashville is a big wide track that is high banked and very fast . love this one .
I'm pretty long winded, what are you wanting, a description of each track ?

DeWayne R

AllenK

Diamond Park Speedway has one of the best surfaces in the country,and it is blazing fast when hooked up. It's banked good,and it's wide also. However, for many years it has been pretty much right around the bottom.
It's still a nice track though.

I remember going to Bismarck,Kirby,and Smackover when I was little. There was a track in Arkadelphia,but I was in my Mom's belly when I went there.

Not drinkin'the Kool-Aid...

riccoar

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 16, 2015, 12:27:42 am
Found the old Wynn Stadium
Looked on Google now.  Looks like whomever owns that is building a pond.

AllenK

I would've loved to have gone to the old El Paso track. I measured it at over half a mile using Google Maps if I did it right. I've heard it was very fast!
Not drinkin'the Kool-Aid...

Racinray

A new track being built in Arkoma Ok. Arkoma Speedway will be a micro sprint car and a kart track. Going to be nice when completed, already having kart races.

10thPlanet

Quote from: Racinray on May 12, 2018, 09:00:34 am
A new track being built in Arkoma Ok. Arkoma Speedway will be a micro sprint car and a kart track. Going to be nice when completed, already having kart races.
You're going to get me into this Kart racing aren't you? I have stayed away and been good. Is the track in the bottoms in Arkoma?

Racinray

Quote from: 10thPlanet on May 12, 2018, 02:41:56 pm
You're going to get me into this Kart racing aren't you? I have stayed away and been good. Is the track in the bottoms in Arkoma?
No, it's on HWY 112 just north of the Zero St. exit on the left side.

DeWayne R

Quote from: AllenK on October 13, 2017, 01:17:21 pm
I would've loved to have gone to the old El Paso track. I measured it at over half a mile using Google Maps if I did it right. I've heard it was very fast!

Very flat track. First time there remember Wendell getting dropped off in a Limo.

farfromgroovins

August 03, 2018, 01:23:43 pm #48 Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:56:26 pm by farfromgroovins
Quote from: DeWayne R on August 01, 2018, 11:04:58 am
Very flat track. First time there remember Wendell getting dropped off in a Limo.

We may have been at the same race.  I don't remember the limo but remember Wallace walking away in the late model race and Sport Mercer doing the same in whatever the street stock (hobby) or whatever it was at the time.

It was quite different than the 1/4 mile tracks I mostly watched.

farfromgroovins

I assume this is the 1.5 mile track in Lehi which is just west of West Memphis.  This only ran for a short while in the 50s and had a few NASCAR events (and deaths as well.)  I have looked off to the south of I-40 at it before and you can see the elevation of the banking in the turn.

I remember reading about late models and sprints running on 1 mile tracks and they were scary fast.  HP to weight ratio is crazy on those cars and there is no restrictor plates.