Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For everyone that keep bringing up how much BB makes

Started by hogsanity, November 10, 2017, 11:54:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Did you hear Nolan talk about that the other day? He was on one of the radio shows and he said it does not matter what BB makes because that is what the market rate is.

What he is getting paid is not material to the discussion of whether he should be kept or not. If his boss' feel like continuing to pay him, they will, if not he will be paid to leave like most other coaches are.

And for those saying they next coach should get 2mil plus incentives, just who do you think you are going to get to agree to a deal like that?

Typical though, want filet mignon at flank steak prices
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogblog

It's not what he makes......it's the fact that his cost per win is terrible......

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 11:54:32 am
Did you hear Nolan talk about that the other day? He was on one of the radio shows and he said it does not matter what BB makes because that is what the market rate is.

What he is getting paid is not material to the discussion of whether he should be kept or not. If his boss' feel like continuing to pay him, they will, if not he will be paid to leave like most other coaches are.

And for those saying they next coach should get 2mil plus incentives, just who do you think you are going to get to agree to a deal like that?

Wait so now you are using Nolan to help fight your battles.....boy you've had to come a long way. Your hate for Nolan has run deep in the Jumpball forum.

Atlhogfan1

Nolan is right.  Pay is based on the market.  What you have to pay to hire a certain coach and raises will happen from there.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on November 10, 2017, 12:09:35 pm
Wait so now you are using Nolan to help fight your battles.....boy you've had to come a long way. Your hate for Nolan has run deep in the Jumpball forum.

Umm, unless I am mistaken, the only thing i have ever said about Nolan was that he got himself fired, and he should not have sued the school.

And I have said repeatedly BB is not going to get it done here. His record ALONE is reason to let him go. His pay is not really material. IF he was getting twice as much as any other sec coach or was being paid only half of any sec coach, then his pay might come into play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SchrodingersHog

What we got was flank steak at filet mignon prices.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Another loaded troll thread huh? You never disappoint
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on November 10, 2017, 01:25:21 pm
What we got was flank steak at filet mignon prices.

Nah, we paid the going rate for steak, just got a bad cut of meat.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 10, 2017, 01:27:49 pm
Another loaded troll thread huh? You never disappoint

How is this a troll thread? Just about every thread about BB we see his salary get brought up. A well respected for coach at the UofA addressed that issue and now it is a troll thread?

mckinneyhog5

I'll make a prediction that if we hire a coach who's only been a HC for 2 years or so and hasn't built or helped build  a program, regardless of salary, we'll be back at this same point in three years. If people truly believe there are not better options, then razorback football is dead. I believe that if BB is not retained, and it's still a possibility regardless of what people think, the PTB will look for someone that has a history of building programs, not just upsetting other teams this year. Sustainability will be what they look for hopefully and whoever they hire will need full support from fans and others. If people believe Arkansas can do better than we are doing now, then who we hire will determine if they are serious about that statement. It really doesn't matter if we pay them 2 dollars or 10 million, they will be judged on getting us to an acceptable level and sustaining it.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hogsanity

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 01:37:14 pm
I'll make a prediction that if we hire a coach who's only been a HC for 2 years or so and hasn't built or helped build  a program, regardless of salary, we'll be back at this same point in three years. If people truly believe there are not better options, then razorback football is dead. I believe that if BB is not retained, and it's still a possibility regardless of what people think, the PTB will look for someone that has a history of building programs, not just upsetting other teams this year. Sustainability will be what they look for hopefully and whoever they hire will need full support from fans and others. If people believe Arkansas can do better than we are doing now, then who we hire will determine if they are serious about that statement. It really doesn't matter if we pay them 2 dollars or 10 million, they will be judged on getting us to an acceptable level and sustaining it.

And whoever they hire will be paid market rate ( or maybe a premium ) to get them to come here and salary will have no bearing on their ultimate success or failure at the job.

forrest city joe

I don't care what he makes. i just want to get him out of here. he has failed.and he and Jeff Long has ran this football program into the ground.so Nolan is right in what he said about the market. but i don't care about that. i care about having a winning football program.and not the pitiful mess we have right now.wake the hell up.

moses_007

Pay is all relative.  The next hire may not be making anything near BB's $4.4 million to start out.

If Norvell is the hire, I'm sure we could get him in the $2.5 million range since that would be a nice raise from what he's making now at Memphis. ($1.8 million.)

hehawg

#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

jst01

I'll have you know that I can grill a flank steak that will match filets flavor!!! Lets argue about that now!!!

but seriously, I can

Dumb ole famrboy

For 2017 Bret ranks #17 in compensation and is #6 for SEC coaches.

Michael D Huff AIA

sowmonella

The folks that always bring up how much Long, Bielema or Anderson make are the same ones that are jealous of anyone making a lot of money.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsanity

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 01:49:17 pm
Pay is all relative.  The next hire may not be making anything near BB's $4.4 million to start out.

If Norvell is the hire, I'm sure we could get him in the $2.5 million range since that would be a nice raise from what he's making now at Memphis. ($1.8 million.)

Umm, no. There is likely to be a bidding war for any of the young hot names ( Norvell, Frost, Campbell among others ). None of them are coming to the SECW ( where as noted BB is only the 6th highest paid at 4mil+ ) and take a job for 1.5+mil below the going rate.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 01:58:00 pm
Umm, no. There is likely to be a bidding war for any of the young hot names ( Norvell, Frost, Campbell among others ). None of them are coming to the SECW ( where as noted BB is only the 6th highest paid at 4mil+ ) and take a job for 1.5+mil below the going rate.
Herman was the "hot" coach last year after coaching in C-USA at Houston. Bidding war between Texas and LSU got him 5.25 million in his first year. Texas is sitting at 4-5 with Kansas, West Virginia and TT still to play. He could finish 7-5, 6-6 or 5-7 surely they'll beat Kansas. Will it work out for him at Texas? Maybe, maybe not..Would Arkansas fans accept going 6-6 or worse next year with Norvell as the coach?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hogsanity

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 02:10:33 pm
Herman was the "hot" coach last year after coaching in C-USA at Houston. Bidding war between Texas and LSU got him 5.25 million in his first year. Texas is sitting at 4-5 with Kansas, West Virginia and TT still to play. Will it work out for him at Texas? Maybe, maybe not..

No idea, but for anyone that thinks they can get Norvell for 2.5, as one poster said, is just crazy and, not surprisingly, not grounded in one bit of reality.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 02:10:33 pm
Herman was the "hot" coach last year after coaching in C-USA at Houston. Bidding war between Texas and LSU got him 5.25 million in his first year. Texas is sitting at 4-5 with Kansas, West Virginia and TT still to play. Will it work out for him at Texas? Maybe, maybe not..

I seriously doubt it will.

He'll go 2-1 the rest of the year and the grumblings will begin among the tsips.

Texas is an example of how unreasonably high expectation can damage a program as much as low expectations can.

moses_007

If Norvell really wants our job, and it has been widely reported that he does, he will take it for somewhere around $3 million.  Bielema didn't start off at $4.4... think it was around $3.5 when he started.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 02:13:11 pm
No idea, but for anyone that thinks they can get Norvell for 2.5, as one poster said, is just crazy and, not surprisingly, not grounded in one bit of reality.
Agreed, why pay for the "hot coach of the month" and pay that money when you could get a coach with experience building programs? Up and comers flame out more often than they succeed.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 10, 2017, 02:14:55 pm
I seriously doubt it will.

He'll go 2-1 the rest of the year and the grumblings will begin among the tsips.

Texas is an example of how unreasonably high expectation can damage a program as much as low expectations can.
There's already a 60 page thread titled "fire Herman!" on shaggybevo. lol

moses_007

I'd bet Les Miles would take it for $3.5 because he wants to coach again.  He was making around $5 million at LSU.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 02:17:09 pm
I'd bet Les Miles would take it for $3.5 because he wants to coach again.  He was making around $5 million at LSU.
He may be far from our worst option but it would depend if he's there to collect a check or build Arkansas into a SEC contender. I just wonder the support he would receive.

hogfan870

BB is being paid like a successful SEC coach.  That is why it is relevant.  There is a big spread in the salaries of SEC coaches.  I haven't looked it up, but someone earlier in the thread said that he is the 6th highest paid SEC coach, so he is in the top half of he conference in pay.  If we were paying bottom 2 or 3 money, we could/should except a bottom of the conference team.  We are paying the market rate for a top 1/2 of the conference coach, and getting a bottom half of the conference product (which should be significantly cheaper).   

twistitup

W CBB we paid for Filet Mignon and we got puddin'

Nothing but puddin'
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Have said this many times.  Regardless of pay it's results that matter.  Pay is market driven for the most part and all SEC coaches except Saban are in a very similar range.

And yes if you are wanting Norvell, and think he is the best option you don't freaking low ball.  He's already making almost 2 Memphis would probably go $2.5 or more to keep him.  He will $4 or that will be the starting number.  Again it's market driven.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

If my return rate was as bad as his I would have fired 3 years ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogfan870 on November 10, 2017, 02:23:57 pm
BB is being paid like a successful SEC coach.  That is why it is relevant.  There is a big spread in the salaries of SEC coaches.  I haven't looked it up, but someone earlier in the thread said that he is the 6th highest paid SEC coach, so he is in the top half of he conference in pay.  If we were paying bottom 2 or 3 money, we could/should except a bottom of the conference team.  We are paying the market rate for a top 1/2 of the conference coach, and getting a bottom half of the conference product (which should be significantly cheaper).   

He is being paid like the successful major college coach he was when he was hired and first contract was agreed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogblog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 02:17:09 pm

Awwwwww........ NO

East Clintwood

And, just what is the going rate?

Sabans $7mil
or
Odoms $2.35mil

those are from 2016
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Paying market or above for success is totally fine for me.  Its paying market rate and getting chicken darn that I don't care for.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: 12247 on November 10, 2017, 02:32:39 pm
Paying market or above for success is totally fine for me.  Its paying market rate and getting chicken darn that I don't care for.
Problem is contracts are decided "up front" before any success/failure happens.

hogfan870

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 02:49:16 pm
Problem is contracts are decided "up front" before any success/failure happens.

Right, but what you are paying also factors into whether or not you retain the coach.  If we were paying bottom of the conference money, we wouldn't have much to complain about.  When BB signed that $4mm+ contract, he realized that he was being paid that because he was expect to be top 1/2 of the conference.   

zuko

When you have a lot of money, that's they way you talk.

The NewEra

How about this?  When interviewing coaches, ask them which would you prefer?  A guaranteed maximum of $4MM per year or a $2.75MM base with the opportunity to earn $7MM or better? 

I want the guy who says I'll take the incentive package.

Conference season record incentives:
Wins & Incentives
SEC Conference Championship Win $500k
12 $2.5 MM + $500k for SEC West Championship
11 $2MM + $600k for Bowl other than final four
10 $1.5 MM + $400k for Bowl
9  $1.0 MM $200k for Bowl
8  $500k + $100k for Bowl
7  $250k + $50k for Bowl
6 a bowl game incentive of $25k
5 or below no incentive

National Championship Win $1MM
National  Championship Appearance $500k
Final Four Playoff Appearance $500k

thebignasty

Quote from: The NewEra on November 10, 2017, 03:36:29 pm
How about this?  When interviewing coaches, ask them which would you prefer?  A guaranteed maximum of $4MM per year or a $2.75MM base with the opportunity to earn $7MM or better? 

I want the guy who says I'll take the incentive package.

Conference season record incentives:500
Wins & Incentives
SEC Conference Championship Win $500k
12 $2.5 MM + $500k for SEC West Championship
11 $2MM + $600k for Bowl other than final four
10 $1.5 MM + $400k for Bowl
9  $1.0 MM $200k for Bowl
8  $500k + $100k for Bowl
7  $250k + $50k for Bowl
6 a bowl game incentive of $25k
5 or below no incentive

National Championship Win $1MM
National  Championship Appearance $500k
Final Four Playoff Appearance $500k

Going to get a guy who has no other offers if thats how you go about it.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

The NewEra

Quote from: thebignasty on November 10, 2017, 03:37:18 pm
Going to get a guy who has no other offers if thats how you go about it.

That makes no sense at all.

Bebop

PLHawg

Norvell will be making, at a minimum $3.5 mil next year (with incentives to earn more) here or elsewhere.  He is one of the hottest three names out there right now, and it can be guaranteed there will be a bidding war to some degree.  Would he coach here for $3.5 mil. vs. say $4.0 mil at Tennessee?  Who knows, but anyone who thinks we're going to get one of these guys "on the cheap" are seriously mistaken.

Vantage 8 dude

I seriously doubt most would care less what our HC was being paid AS LONG AS HIS RECORD DESERVED IT. The real key is are you getting value for your money? If yes, then fans couldn't give a darn. However, if you continue to deliver average of even substandard performance then you can darn well bet fans are going to grumble and with good reason. BTW I have NO problem loading up the coaches comp with incentives. Start with a base salary of something like $2-2.5 million. Then establish certain standards by making the bonuses fairly attainable such as win 7 or more wins you get an extra $250 k; win ten games or more you get an extra $500k (on top of the 7 or more win bonus). Win a bowl game and you get $150k; qualify for a New Years bowl and you get $150k, win and you receive $250k. Win the SECw and play in the SECCG you earn $350k; win a SECC you're given an extra $500k. A national championship is $1 million. Oh yeah, meet a satisfactory APR score (whatever that's determined to be) for players and you get $250k, and score above the SEC average gets you $350k.

Obviously the levels and payments could be adjusted according to the exact standards set by the AD. The point is, however, that administered properly a bonus system could actually work nicely.

The NewEra

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 10, 2017, 04:05:02 pm
I seriously doubt most would care less what our HC was being paid AS LONG AS HIS RECORD DESERVED IT. The real key is are you getting value for your money? If yes, then fans couldn't give a darn. However, if you continue to deliver average of even substandard performance then you can darn well bet fans are going to grumble and with good reason. BTW I have NO problem loading up the coaches comp with incentives. Start with a base salary of something like $2-2.5 million. Then establish certain standards by making the bonuses fairly attainable such as win 7 or more wins you get an extra $250 k; win ten games or more you get an extra $500k (on top of the 7 or more win bonus). Win a bowl game and you get $150k; qualify for a New Years bowl and you get $150k, win and you receive $250k. Win the SECw and play in the SECCG you earn $350k; win a SECC you're given an extra $500k. A national championship is $1 million. Oh yeah, meet a satisfactory APR score (whatever that's determined to be) for players and you get $250k, and score above the SEC average gets you $350k.

Obviously the levels and payments could be adjusted according to the exact standards set by the AD. The point is, however, that administered properly a bonus system could actually work nicely.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Some times I think people forget how much we have to sell here also. Coaching in the SEC with the facilities of Arkansas and it's one major team in the State concept.

BigE_23

Let's use your steak analogy...same cut of meat, same price, but you know that the meat at Kroger is a better product than the same cut of steak at the same price from Walmart. The filet at Walmart has the same texture and taste as flank steak. Where would you buy your meat??

Sure, Bret is getting paid in the same range as his SEC colleagues...but is the quality the same? Absolutely not - so we should shop somewhere else. The price is pertinent to the discussion because regardless of market price, we're not getting market performance.

I don't think we're wanting filet for flank prices - we're just wanting the filet to taste like a filet.

And to your question of who would come here for $2 mil plus incentives...the guy who's coaching at Bert's previous school is providing filet for flank prices - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2015/10/08/wisconsin-paul-chryst-barry-alvarez-gary-andersen/73546334/

elksnort

Speaking of salary, have any of you ever wondered what each other poster does for a living? Posting on the internet does indeed alter/mask the message many times.

But the timing and posts do indicate what a person might be like. You have the whiners, those who constantly pontificate, followers, and all kinds of other characters.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: elksnort on November 10, 2017, 04:23:35 pm
Speaking of salary, have any of you ever wondered what each other poster does for a living? Posting on the internet does indeed alter/mask the message many times.

But the timing and posts do indicate what a person might be like. You have the whiners, those who constantly pontificate, followers, and all kinds of other characters.
Okay.......and your point is exactly what ??? I can promise you that every fan website, no matter what team, has it share of "whiners, those who constantly pontificate, followers and all kinds of other characters". It's the nature of the beast...duh! ::)

texas tush hog

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 10, 2017, 02:32:08 pm

And, just what is the going rate?

Sabans $7mil
or
Odoms $2.35mil

those are from 2016

Our next coach if he is on the list we are referring to, Norvell, Frost, or Campbell will make $3.5 to $4 million a year. That is the going rate for one of the hot young ones. Mullen would make $4 to $5 million a year. Get ready for it.